Tuesday 26th September 2017.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 26th September 2017.

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Sadiq calls for second referendum.
I'm starting to think this is a possibility (though still no more than that at this stage)

Again, though, it would be foolhardy for Labour to commit to such a thing before the "time is right".
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yeah, that's sensible. Have kiteflyers like Khan and Dugdale, and a leadership hanging back from it. Decent balance. It's the stuff on leaving the EEA that worries me much more.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Ken Livingstone being helpful

http://talkradio.co.uk/news/scale-labou ... 7092618946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As ever :mrgreen:

Most people just ignore him now, very sensibly.
Slight aside, but Leon Rosselson interesting on this,
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(and his blogging, a good read generally)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... sults-pisa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dear Ms Greening, why are you slavering over Chinese schools’ results?
Michael Rosen
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/labour-outlin ... n-service/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Draft charter outlines ‘principles’ of Labour’s National Education Service
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.conservativehome.com/leftwa ... cracy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Corbyn is mounting a coup d’état against parliamentary democracy"
For Corbyn soon emerged as the front runner, with hundreds of thousands of activists joining the party in order to vote for him.
The Sprinkles are taking over.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-the-data" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should interest rates go up as Brexit approaches? Experts debate the data
Two former MPC members differ on what recent indicators mean for the economy, and whether it is time for dearer harrowing
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Quilty.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What was the question again?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... ument.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is, simply put, right that we stand up to the tech giants and their poor business practices. A cheap, simple service is not a good enough defence when delivered by a company with poor morals and corporate standards. Conservatives argue that we are the real workers’ party. Therefore it is right that we stand up to companies who treat their workers poorly.
Seems very enlightened for a Tory.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I thought it was positive that John McDonnell had got the media talking about PFI, regardless of how realistic his plans for it are, at least the problems PFI has caused were being discussed.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's quite so positive that John McDonnell has got the media talking about a Labour government causing a run on the pound. Bit of an own goal, I'm afraid.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:I thought it was positive that John McDonnell had got the media talking about PFI, regardless of how realistic his plans for it are, at least the problems PFI has caused were being discussed.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's quite so positive that John McDonnell has got the media talking about a Labour government causing a run on the pound. Bit of an own goal, I'm afraid.

It was bound to come up sooner or later, though - so it could be argued that he was simply getting in first and was possibly wise to do so.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote:I thought it was positive that John McDonnell had got the media talking about PFI, regardless of how realistic his plans for it are, at least the problems PFI has caused were being discussed.

It was bound to come up sooner or later, though - so it could be argued that he was simply getting in first and was possibly wise to do so.
Yes good point - especially as the current government doesn't much want to talk about runs on the pound!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 16.33.59.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 16.33.59.png (112.18 KiB) Viewed 21497 times
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Yes good point - especially as the current government doesn't much want to talk about runs on the pound!
The way McDonnell put it made it sound like he was expecting a run on the pound in response to Labour fiscal policies if they took power, which makes it sound like Labour policies would be regarded as fiscally reckless. I'm really not sure why it would be helpful to put that idea out there. There's no reason to think there would be a negative reaction to sensible policies such as borrowing for investment etc.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
The way McDonnell put it made it sound like he was expecting a run on the pound in response to Labour fiscal policies if they took power, which makes it sound like Labour policies would be regarded as fiscally reckless. I'm really not sure why it would be helpful to put that idea out there. There's no reason to think there would be a negative reaction to sensible policies such as borrowing for investment etc.
I didn't hear it so shouldn't really comment. Though that doesn't always stop me... ;-)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

As Ryanair launches a massive seat sale offering one million flights from £4.99, travel insurance companies are warning all air passengers to check the small print of their insurance policies.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017 ... e-policies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for the three o'clock afternoon lull
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Fly-it-yourself
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

#WhatMcDonnellActuallySaid
What if there is a run on the pound? What happens if there is this concept of capital flight? I don't think there will be, but you never know.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'd pay £10 to stay away from the flight
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

'Leave UK immediately': scientist is latest victim of Home Office blunder

The Home Office is still sending out letters telling lawfully resident immigrants in Britain they must leave the country, a month after the home secretary had to apologise for “an unfortunate error” in mistakenly informing 100 EU nationals that they faced possible deportation.

The Home Office had to issue a further apology on Monday to a research scientist, who received a letter out of the blue on Friday telling him his driving licence was being revoked and he “should take steps to leave the UK immediately”. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ce-blunder
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've just read that article
it's alarming
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Keeley excellent as ever .Some good stuff.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 26 Sep, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

The DfE got a bit of a ticking off over dodgy stats - and not before time too.

https://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/ ... tatistics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warwick Mansell wrote about one these - the press release over pupils in new free schools which included schools in one stat and ignored them in another.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... urt-action" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Contaminated blood scandal victims win ruling to launch high court action
Ruling will allow potentially 500 claimants – surviving victims of contamination and families of the deceased – to seek compensation
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:#WhatMcDonnellActuallySaid
What if there is a run on the pound? What happens if there is this concept of capital flight? I don't think there will be, but you never know.
It came across differently to me when I read it:
Speaking to a gathering of left-wing Momentum activists, he said: "It tries to answer the question about what happens when or if they come for us.

"What if there is a run on the pound? What happens if there is this concept of capital flight?
http://news.sky.com/story/john-mcdonnel ... d-11054157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why would "they", presumably the global markets, come for Labour if they have sensible fiscal plans? It's not like there aren't any other social democratic countries in the world. It made me question what McDonnell is planning I suppose. Why does he expect a negative reaction? I'm not aware the markets have ever gone after Finland, Sweden or Canada, for instance. Centre left socially democratic governments don't normally spook the markets.

I don't suppose others will react to what he said in the same way though. It's just how it came across to me.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:#WhatMcDonnellActuallySaid
Speaking to a gathering of left-wing Momentum activists, he said: "It tries to answer the question about what happens when or if they come for us.

"What if there is a run on the pound? What happens if there is this concept of capital flight?
http://news.sky.com/story/john-mcdonnel ... d-11054157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why would "they", presumably the global markets, come for Labour if they have sensible fiscal plans? It's not like there aren't any other social democratic countries in the world. It made me question what McDonnell is planning I suppose. Why does he expect a negative reaction? I'm not aware the markets have ever gone after Finland, Sweden or Canada, for instance. Centre left socially democratic governments don't normally spook the markets.

I don't suppose others will react to what he said in the same way though. It's just how it came across to me.
I just think it's unfair on McDonnell (and I'm not accusing you of doing this) to miss out the next sentence.
"I don't think there will be, but you never know, so we've got to scenario-plan for that.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Something not right about the BoE interest rate hike news headlines
What's going on?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

I don't suppose others will react to what he said in the same way though. It's just how it came across to me.[/quote]
I just think it's unfair on McDonnell (and I'm not accusing you of doing this) to miss out the next sentence.
"I don't think there will be, but you never know, so we've got to scenario-plan for that.
[/quote]

who is "coming" for Labour with this dastardly ru on the pound?

The Gnomes of Zurich?

Centrist Dads?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

There were a fair number of articles like:

https://financefeeds.com/will-uk-gbp-po ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

during the last election, so don't see why Labour shouldn't at least consider similar possibilities now.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ask Phil Hammond,he claimed it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tusk and the Guardian doing their best being positive
tusk & may_.jpg
tusk & may_.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 21363 times
Despite attempts by Theresa May to circumvent deadlock in Brussels by holding private talks with EU leaders about her latest negotiating stance, Tusk emerged from 90 minutes of discussion in Downing Street with only a slightly warmer response.

“I feel cautiously optimistic about the constructive and more realistic tone of the prime minister’s speech in Florence and our discussion today,” Tusk told reporters. “This shows that the philosophy of having cake and eating it is finally coming to an end. At least I hope so.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ach-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

UPDATE Glenis has changed her blouse.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Booth,Dawn get a mention.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Shankly got a minutes silence,unless my memory is playing tricks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Chris Williamson is a shadow minister.

Wow. Just saw him in action for the first time.

Labour is really interesting.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... sabilities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guidance
People with learning disabilities: making reasonable adjustments

(Updated)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... way-safety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consultation outcome
Goal-setting principles for railway safety
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
I'm starting to think this is a possibility (though still no more than that at this stage)

Again, though, it would be foolhardy for Labour to commit to such a thing before the "time is right".
May's asking for a transition period where everything stays the same except we're no longer a member of the EU. She's asking for it because there's no way we're going to have even an outline of the future trading arrangements before the A50 deadline, imo. In those circumstances there's nothing to vote on before we leave.
So, no Remain option if/when the second referendum happens, that boat will have sailed.
Totally unacceptable but not impossible scenario.
An extension of the A50 deadline would be far better.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -proposals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New school proposals

Updated
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Nothing to see

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Presumably the same Chris Williamson that was Shadow Minister before and former Derby City Council Leader.Maybe you were not following for some years,to be fair.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:UPDATE Glenis has changed her blouse.
omg
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Obviously,like Frances Coppola,she reads FTN.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Starmer just ruled it out.

It should happen, but won't because Labour won't fight for it.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Evening campers
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Or as John Cooper Clarke once proposed:

Turned out nice again mother####ers
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

"The" news

1. No 'sufficient progress' in Brexit talks so far: EU President Donald Tusk
2. Tusk praises UK attitude change, but says more progress needed in Brexit talks
3. Tusk now ‘cautiously optimistic’ over Brexit
4. Tusk: Brexit talks cannot move to next phase as UK wants

1. http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 087_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. http://www.euronews.com/2017/09/26/tusk ... ws+-+en%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. http://www.shanghaidaily.com/world/Tusk ... aily.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4. https://news.am/eng/news/411966.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@tc2.How did you know I was in my tent?.

PTO after 2.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 26 Sep, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Who isn't?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@tinyclanger2
Good to read you!