Friday 29th September 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 29th September 2017

Post by HindleA »

Asking where your special delivery was could be interpreted as such.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cja the kettle has just clicked.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@howsilly could you check the microphone,getting some interference.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Oh sorry thaf's your normal voice,apologies.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:Oh sorry thaf's your normal voice,apologies.
Black country accent I am afraid
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:https://www.newyorker.com/culture/rabbi ... nd-friends

The Repressive, Authoritarian Soul of “Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends”
http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Hugo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hugo is unique for being fitted with a propeller. He is a very fast engine, whose spinning propeller makes him very popular with passengers.
Upon arriving on Sodor , he surprised many engines and Sir Topham Hatt with his fast speed. Stephen , however, told Thomas that he may replace them. This made all the engines unfriendly with him and it was not until Hugo explained to Thomas and Percy that Stephen was wrong. He was not replacing the engines; he does not even have a coupling hook to pull coaches or trucks. This helped the engines learn that Hugo is actually very nice and later they gave him a proper welcome.
Attachments
shopping.jpg
shopping.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 13118 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ha ha.I have a weird combination but my rapid fire delivery makes it barely intelligible in any case.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Torybastards quite a common feature.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If not extent.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... nch-17-19/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Work and Pensions Committee launches a new inquiry on how the assessment processes for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and Personal Independence Payments (PIP) are handled by Department for Work and Pensions contractors ATOS, Capita and Maximus, and how the application, assessment and appeals processes for these two benefits are working.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Written submissions via:-

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... nts-17-19/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:Labour's housing policy by Healey

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/john-he ... 34146.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rent controls, and more controls over permission to build. Pretty awful, IMO.
The referendum thing for estates is an awful policy. Sure, there are some very brutal developments going on, not least by Labour councils in London, but a veto on developments on some of the very limited land that the state owns? That's going to lead to much less housing, and makes as much sense as people living beside HS2 having a veto. I had one of the better housing associations, who did a good development overall, with much more social housing. But there was lots of discontent among the residents, and I think many would have voted against any development. For one thing, lots now are leaseholders, and the value of their home isn't helped by plonking a big block of poor people up next door, however much the area needs it. Plus of course leaseholders have to pay a contribution, often several thousand to the redevelopment.

There's a Labour Mayor of London, who as I understand it has a veto on really bad developments- why can't he be trusted? And why can't good general regulations be brought in?

I've always looked on London as a national asset, when I lived there and still do now I've moved to a much poorer place. It's a place lots of people want to live, and redevelopment is a contribution to GDP, which gets recycled to my new region. Heaven knows, we're struggling enough with Brexit for GDP at the moment. Do we really want to shut off more of it?

I see that by yesterday, Corbyn had had people involved in regenerations on the phone, who pointed out that these "luxury flats" are filling a big gap in budgets at the moment. And even though this social cleansing is going on- that's the right word for it- London councils still face enormous social challenges, with all their kids on free school meals. He immediately said "money will be available"- maybe it will be, but when you've other expensive commitments, something will likely give.

To be clear, he's absolutely right about what he said about many developments going on, and it's been an underrated issue. But I'm not impressed with the policy response.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/john-he ... 34146.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The referendum thing for estates is an awful policy. Sure, there are some very brutal developments going on, not least by Labour councils in London, but a veto on developments on some of the very limited land that the state owns? That's going to lead to much less housing, and makes as much sense as people living beside HS2 having a veto. I had one of the better housing associations, who did a good development overall, with much more social housing. But there was lots of discontent among the residents, and I think many would have voted against any development. For one thing, lots now are leaseholders, and the value of their home isn't helped by plonking a big block of poor people up next door, however much the area needs it. Plus of course leaseholders have to pay a contribution, often several thousand to the redevelopment.

There's a Labour Mayor of London, who as I understand it has a veto on really bad developments- why can't he be trusted? And why can't good general regulations be brought in?

I've always looked on London as a national asset, when I lived there and still do now I've moved to a much poorer place. It's a place lots of people want to live, and redevelopment is a contribution to GDP, which gets recycled to my new region. Heaven knows, we're struggling enough with Brexit for GDP at the moment. Do we really want to shut off more of it?

I see that by yesterday, Corbyn had had people involved in regenerations on the phone, who pointed out that these "luxury flats" are filling a big gap in budgets at the moment. And even though this social cleansing is going on- that's the right word for it- London councils still face enormous social challenges, with all their kids on free school meals. He immediately said "money will be available"- maybe it will be, but when you've other expensive commitments, something will likely give.

To be clear, he's absolutely right about what he said about many developments going on, and it's been an underrated issue. But I'm not impressed with the policy response.
I agree with all of that, as you'd expect. Healey has been a grave disappointment.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I also think having lots of people living in cities is a good thing in itself. That's people using public transport to work, whose kids will walk to school. There are too many cars in our cities, but we can do more about that than we are already. We don't need to be discouraging development of public land.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I agree with all of that, as you'd expect. Healey has been a grave disappointment.
Cheers.

The case hasn't been helped by what looks like, at best, naivety and undervaluing of land by Southwark Council, for example. At worst, it looks like corruption. But I'd be surprised if there weren't some sort of best practice that could be suggested for contracts to protect against that. Sadiq needs to build a team around him that are on top of this sort of stuff.

I'm sure this isn't just a problem in London, but it's the example that comes to mind. I don't know if the "Metromayors" in other places have the powers they need.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'm not really clear on land banking either. Blair-Brown were pretty hot on enterprise and competition issues generally, and they got the OFT in but they didn't find all that much evidence of it in 2004. Has that changed? Shouldn't the first policy be for the OFT or whoever to be looking into it?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I'm not really clear on land banking either. Blair-Brown were pretty hot on enterprise and competition issues generally, and they got the OFT in but they didn't find all that much evidence of it in 2004. Has that changed? Shouldn't the first policy be for the OFT or whoever to be looking into it?
Classic Blair/Brown. They knew it wasn't an issue but for political purposes referred it knowing nothing would happen.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Actually, did they get the OFT?

It was independent, so I guess it did it off its own bat.

Ah yes- the politicians refer.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Fri 29 Sep, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I'm not really clear on land banking either. Blair-Brown were pretty hot on enterprise and competition issues generally, and they got the OFT in but they didn't find all that much evidence of it in 2004. Has that changed? Shouldn't the first policy be for the OFT or whoever to be looking into it?
Classic Blair/Brown. They knew it wasn't an issue but for political purposes referred it knowing nothing would happen.
po

They got Kate Barker to look at it too. Same conclusion, I think.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Views differ of course.Suffice to say far better informed,regarded than opposite number and his team,and certainly more trustworthy advisors.Though that would be hard.Important of course to stress review rather than say crap,regardless which I am sure those of good faith would never do.The possible choice available is the possible choice available,personally in effect opting out and saying you are as bad as each other I don't think is very productive or enlightening.There are ways to make your views known in the process I do such things I am not naive as to effect but i've kinda done something.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Good Lord. Not only Tory backbenchers apparently being useful, but Dame Louise Casey too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41433019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pause for Universal Credit called for.

Very much the Tories' mess, but Labour needs to commit to reducing the clawback from it. Maybe it has. Debbie Abrahams is good.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

In other news, May seems to have given up on bargaining collective security for trade, as the Article 50 letter seemed to hint.

What a ridiculous Prime Minister. Utter international lightweight.

The Telegraph aren't doing her any favours talking up "trade war" with the US.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Good Lord. Not only Tory backbenchers apparently being useful, but Dame Louise Casey too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41433019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very much the Tories' mess, but Labour needs to commit to reducing the clawback from it. Maybe it has. Debbie Abrahams is good.
A piece on UC in today's Graun by Neil Coyle, which I can basically totally agree with. And so, I expect, could the leadership.

Genuine end of days stuff ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Channel 4 News‏Verified account
@Channel4News
"I think you’ll agree we could be doing more to train up people in this country to be curry chefs" — Daniel Hannan MEP #BrexitReality
Wrong kind of skilled Commonwealth worker.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Who?
Peter Walker‏Verified account @peterwalker99 2m2 minutes ago
More
Anne-Marie Water loses! Henry Bolton is new Ukip leader
Peter Whittle came fifth.

From earlier.
Peter Walker‏Verified account @peterwalker99 37m37 minutes ago
More
Would-be Ukip leader Henry Bolton is addressing the Ukip conference now. He's trying hard but is not the most magnetic of speakers.
So they've gone for boring instead of creating a mass exodus.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Good Lord. Not only Tory backbenchers apparently being useful, but Dame Louise Casey too.

A piece on UC in today's Graun by Neil Coyle, which I can basically totally agree with. And so, I expect, could the leadership.

Yeah.

Who could have guessed there'd be problems when old IDS embarked on it, eh? I remember when Alistair Darling said he'd looked at it, but it was too complicated, Smith gave an incredibly pathetic non-answer.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

SWAB Another factor is the massive cost of people getting actually what they are entitled to,before you get to the adequate taper thing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sometimes "broken x" repetitions leads to a worse consequence or a wholly fucking mess where the supposed remedy,albeit not even in total gets rid of the better parts and creates to a large degree the very problems supposedly addressed.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Who?
Peter Walker‏Verified account @peterwalker99 2m2 minutes ago
More
Anne-Marie Water loses! Henry Bolton is new Ukip leader
Peter Whittle came fifth.

From earlier.
Peter Walker‏Verified account @peterwalker99 37m37 minutes ago
More
Would-be Ukip leader Henry Bolton is addressing the Ukip conference now. He's trying hard but is not the most magnetic of speakers.
So they've gone for boring instead of creating a mass exodus.
Waters groupies on Twitter not happy at all :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1658630 ... disastrous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Meanwhile, back in Conservative Home Land,
https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... redit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This letter, whilst well meaning, is misguided. Universal Credit is working, and is a vast improvement on the system it replaces. Critics should be calling for it to be invested in, not stalled, for this is what will help transform the lives of the poorest families across Britain
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Wow look! The author comes from IDS' think tank!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Universal Credit is replacing the old benefit system, which is so punitive that people out of work would only keep as little as 4p in every pound they earned if they took a job, undermining the principle that it should always pay more to work. This is immoral and reform was long over-due.
Right, yeah. You had to bring in Universal Credit to fix that.

How many people exactly only kept 4p?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bring back Freud and his googlespex eye movement mentions,that's all I can say.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Anyone with any sense would know that using a government department to launch a thinktank really isn't the done thing.
Kim Harding‏
@kim_harding
Follow
More
Johnson faces calls to be sacked after 'breaking Ministerial Code' with hard Brexit event
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 72676.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But we talking about Boris so that really doesn't apply here.

Did his Permanent Secretary know about this I wonder?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Can't remember what the actual question was,but he wittered on for quite a long time,as was his wont.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hasn't he got enough "everybody supports free trade" wiggleroom?

I thought it was politically surprising and part of a pattern which would worry me if I was May, but I don't know about throwing the book at him.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And the Chair of Hannan's Institute for Free trade is one Jon Moynihan...also a director of Parents and Teachers for Excellence.

Funny that...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Hasn't he got enough "everybody supports free trade" wiggleroom?

I thought it was politically surprising and part of a pattern which would worry me if I was May, but I don't know about throwing the book at him.
If you look at their website it says "Dan Hannan MEP hosts...etc"

http://ifreetrade.org/event/the_launch_ ... free_trade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a Minister. Not even an MP. Therefore party political IMO.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Tubby one of those it is possible in a set of circumstances things but for his words to have any meaning Council Tax would have to be included etc,it isn't a whole system replacement.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Take that, Project Fear!

UK good price changes, annualized, since 2011.

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Hasn't he got enough "everybody supports free trade" wiggleroom?

If you look at their website it says "Dan Hannan MEP hosts...etc"

http://ifreetrade.org/event/the_launch_ ... free_trade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a Minister. Not even an MP. Therefore party political IMO.
Yeah, I know who they are. I don't know exactly what the rules are. If the Foreign Secretary and Trade Secretary turn up and endorse it, does that not make it in some sense a government event? Does the government have to host it?

The striking thing is that these people seem to be opposing official policy on not deregulating madly. But as I say, they can probably bullshit there way out in terms of "we all support lower barriers to trade, in the long term, blah blah".
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Can the Ministerial Code advisor investigate without the PM say so now?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Possibly in here

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk ... ry/SN03750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Looks like PM decision in consultation with Cabinet Secretary whether to investigate,as you suggest.I haven't waded through,just read a sentence tbh
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cheers. Looks like the PM still has to refer. Though I do like the second paragraph.
Since 2006 there has been an Independent Adviser on Ministers’ Interests, to give confidential advice on request from Ministers and to conduct investigations at the request of the Prime Minister. There have been calls for this role to be reviewed, particularly with regard to the current absence of any power for the Adviser to initiate investigations unless so instructed by the Prime Minister.

There has been some controversy over decisions of the Prime Minister not to refer individuals to the Independent Adviser. These have included decisions over the past few years not to refer Jeremy Hunt, Andrew Mitchell or Theresa May, in relation to various incidents.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Don Foster getting up in Parliament to say he wouldn't be voting to refer Jeremy Hunt was a particular low point of the Coalition.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Seems like decades ago,equally last week.

I think I need a break.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm still recording PF and will catch up later,in case you try anything,I saw that grin.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Rail nationalisation by the former chair of the government run E Coast mainline

http://www.railmagazine.com/news/networ ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;