Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th October 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th October 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... refugee-mp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Zealand election: full results give Labour boost and nation its first refugee MP
Negotiations begin in earnest after ‘special votes’ tally sees National party lose two seats and Labour and the Greens each gain one
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th October 2017

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41534552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tory rebels should 'put up, or shut up' - Ruth Davidson
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... rotections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeff Sessions issues directive undercutting LGBT protections

A claim of a violation of religious freedom will now be enough to override many anti-discrimination protections for LGBT people, women and others.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... rdier-jets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US escalates trade dispute with UK and Canada over Bombardier
Plans for further 80% duty on export of aircraft built by company that employs more than 4,000 people in Belfast
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre ... 86836.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why referendums – like with Brexit, Kurdistan and Catalonia – are always doomed to fail
Referendums make public opinion easy to manipulate because what voters are being asked to assent to is most often wishful thinking and what they are opposing is a rag-bag of unrelated grievances
Quite.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

From the moment the polls closed on 23 June 2016, British society has been deeply divided, probably more so than at any time since the 17th-century civil war 375 years ago. “It really is like a civil war without the gunfire,” said one commentator to me last week, speaking of the depth, rancour and lasting nature of these divisions.

The British experience of referendums is not unique and has parallels elsewhere. Experience shows that referendums are always used by the winning side to pretend that their majority, however slim and however low the turnout, represents the undivided national will. In fact, the 52 to 48 per cent Brexit vote reflected exactly that: a country split down the middle.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Supporters of Brexit, Krexit and Crexit promise short-term dislocation in return for their countries achieving real independence and long term prosperity.

In fact, Britons, Kurds and Catalans are more like Edward Lear’s Jumblies, who famously went to sea in a sieve despite warnings that they would all be drowned, to which the Jumbles replied: “Our Sieve ain’t big / But we don’t care a button, we don’t care a fig / In a sieve we’ll go to sea!”
Finally a phrase that resonates:

Brexit means going to sea in a sieve.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... lures.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The OBR, productivity and policy failures

Mainly Macro
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Welcome the f back.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cool rabbit onesies you are wearing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... chancellor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Britain’s productivity crisis matters. Don’t expect Philip Hammond to mention it
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Thanks. You don't think the ears are too much?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No just right,very similar to a design for May I am working on in an upcoming speech.A rabbit out a hat,theme.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Or in headlights
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Was going with Bugs Bunny but there might be legal issues.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lions sleep most of the time.I think it was over the top to make a song about a particular night.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Lions sleep most of the time.I think it was over the top to make a song about a particular night.
Awimbawe?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

This is the 1000th Daily Politics thread on this site, well done everybody!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]1N4t51IVQ5M[/youtube]
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ee-e-e-um-um-a-weh

apparently
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Have got an excellent disco classic lined up to celebrate our 1000th thread.
I expect to see evidence of everyone dancing.

And that includes you Anatoly.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://dpac.uk.net/2017/10/daylight-ro ... al-credit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re SDA removal under UC.Just one of the targeted nasties on design.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... ter-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dispute resolution after Brexit

Institute for Government
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 07 Oct, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... lures.html

The OBR, productivity and policy failures

Mainly Macro
Interested in his choice of words in his conclusion
A much more plausible story is that we are seeing what happens when most firms lose confidence in the ability of policymakers to manage the economy.
In the case of this govt and the coalition, perhaps it's their willingness to manage the economy that's in question first. Cutting public spending is not managing the economy and if there was ever any doubt about that the years since 2010 should have eliminated it.

This bit should be compulsory reading for MPs and the MSM.
The experience of the 50 years before the GFC suggested that you could hit the economy with pretty large hammers, but it would eventually bounce back. However that may have been contingent on a belief by firms that if policymakers were wielding the hammer (using high interest rates for example) they would take it away fairly soon, and replace it by stimulus. That belief was shattered in the UK by the GFC and austerity, where policymakers decided to keep using the hammer. What little confidence remained was destroyed by Brexit.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... l-johnson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tuesday 10 October in Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster

At 3.35pm.

Former secretary of state Lord Adonis and former minster Lord Willets will face questions from the Economic Affairs Committee. Joined by Paul Johnson, the Director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies they give evidence to the Committee’s new inquiry into the economics of higher, further and technical education.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm starting to actively hope for it all to fall apart - quickly. The sooner it all falls apart, the sooner we might be able to start putting it all together again. Or will the "Brexiters" simply turn very nasty? That's the frightening (and 40\60) chance to take into account.

Edited to add -
I think I mean 60\40
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 07 Oct, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bloody hell I thought I chain smoked,PF's got them literally lined up with numbers on them.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:I'm starting to actively hope for it all to fall apart - quickly. The sooner it all falls apart, the sooner we might be able to start putting it all together again. Or will the "Brexiters" simply turn very nasty? That's the frightening (and 40\60 chance) to take into account.

Edited to add -
I think I mean 60\40
Some of them will, the question is will they be few enough to be containable? *Probably* yes, but you can see why so many are cautious.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I have to own up - I edited my post a second time to move a bracket.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I'm starting to actively hope for it all to fall apart - quickly. The sooner it all falls apart, the sooner we might be able to start putting it all together again. Or will the "Brexiters" simply turn very nasty? That's the frightening (and 40\60 chance) to take into account.

Edited to add -
I think I mean 60\40
Some of them will, the question is will they be few enough to be containable? *Probably* yes, but you can see why so many are cautious.
The deeper in we get, the harder it gets to turn back. The time to face down the Eurosceptics was when Cameron resigned and a new leader elected. A pause then was possible. Arguments for a detailed white paper were compelling. An election before the triggering of article 50 could have provided a mandate for a different direction. As we know, Theresa May went the other way. Far from taking a cautious, pragmatic approach she catapulted us into full-on hard Brexit barely pausing to catch her breath. As such she's placed the Tory Europhiles in an almost impossible position. A Brexit leaning Tory voter base is now expecting the full control, all out, Brexit May promised. Doing the right thing for the economy and the country is now electoral suicide for the Tory party. As such I'm not convinced it all falling apart will be the beginning of putting anything back together. It could well be the beginning of a long drawn out descent into an even bigger hole.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Edited to add -
I think I mean 60\40
The deeper in we get, the harder it gets to turn back. The time to face down the Eurosceptics was when Cameron resigned and a new leader elected. A pause then was possible. Arguments for a detailed white paper were compelling. An election before the triggering of article 50 could have provided a mandate for a different direction. As we know, Theresa May went the other way. Far from taking a cautious, pragmatic approach she catapulted us into full-on hard Brexit barely pausing to catch her breath. As such she's placed the Tory Europhiles in an almost impossible position. A Brexit leaning Tory voter base is now expecting the full control, all out, Brexit May promised. Doing the right thing for the economy and the country is now electoral suicide for the Tory party. As such I'm not convinced it all falling apart will be the beginning of putting anything back together. It could well be the beginning of a long drawn out descent into an even bigger hole.
Yes - I fail to see what would have been so wrong about saying OK, we've got this 'decision' now we look into what the options are and we'll ask again. The whole thing has been ludicrous from the start, the tiniest decision in the majority of work places requiring much more thinking than this has had. It was the effort to look like it was all in hand from the start (when there was no reason why it should be) that has totally 'cked things up.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:I have to own up - I edited my post a second time to move a bracket.
You're a badass mother PF.
And no mistake.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Boris Johnson was unwise to quote Kipling. But he wasn’t praising empire (Guardian)
The foreign secretary was caught on camera in Myanmar being a klutz again. But despite the furore, the poem Mandalay wasn’t an argument for colonialism (Guardian)
The second quote may well be true.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... olonialism

Edited to make link work
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 07 Oct, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

See above
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 07 Oct, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:---
Dispute resolution after Brexit
---
Trial by ordeal
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-a ternoon, everyon
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Yes - I fail to see what would have been so wrong about saying OK, we've got this 'decision' now we look into what the options are and we'll ask again. The whole thing has been ludicrous from the start, the tiniest decision in the majority of work places requiring much more thinking than this has had. It was the effort to look like it was all in hand from the start (when there was no reason why it should be) that has totally 'cked things up.
That decision to plow ahead is 100% on Theresa May. And it really has sent us hurtling down the rabbit hole, unfortunately. I wouldn't be sorry to see her gone, even though a successor could prove more of a challenge to beat for Labour.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apologies for abandoning yesterday's thread without formal leave
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Disgrace.Is there no end to posters' scandalous behaviour?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Willow904 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
That decision to plow ahead is 100% on Theresa May. And it really has sent us hurtling down the rabbit hole, unfortunately. I wouldn't be sorry to see her gone, even though a successor could prove more of a challenge to beat for Labour.
Agree but in the first instance it was Cameron. Rather than run away/lose interest he should have just said, OK referendum went this way, now we start looking at what it would/could actually entail. How hard would that have been?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:Disgrace.Is there no end to posters' scandalous behaviour?
:shock:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:Bloody hell I thought I chain smoked,PF's got them literally lined up with numbers on them.
There was a time (in my dim and murky past) when I used to look forward to the next fag, while I was already smoking the current one. (and then light the next from the existing).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Disgrace.Is there no end to posters' scandalous behaviour?
Nope :rock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted.

Apologies
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 07 Oct, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:This is the 1000th Daily Politics thread on this site, well done everybody!
I think a big "thank you" is in order to Sky, for starting the original site. :clap: :rock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As referenced by Paul

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/t ... s-deepens/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tory conference: Care minister hides from fringe as funding crisis deepens
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/irel ... -1.3242732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ireland an afterthought during Brexit campaign when I was Cameron adviser