Wednesday 18th October 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

Channel 6 at 09.30 for DWP Select Committee ,Gauke and tweeter of cakes(in lieu of thin air)for those interested.

ODD on UC after PM's until about 7pm.

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 18 Oct, 2017 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 18th October 2017

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... itics-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greens vow to protect Australian Broadcasting Company from 'blatant ideological attack' – politics live
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41639456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More than 40,000 people a year in England are getting fines of £100 - from an automated system that dentists say is hitting the most vulnerable.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Politics is revolting at the moment. Obviously the UC debacle seems to be institutionalised cruelty.

But personally, I reserve special loathing for politicians responsible for triggering art 50 now claiming it can be reversed without EU co-operation

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You did it, either apoliogise or own it. You've made us all poorer, especially the poorest who you are supposed to represent.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Hugo's Special Reserve Vitriol, 2017
A vintage year.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41655493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A "prompt" and independent inquiry should be held into alleged abuse at an immigration removal centre in the UK, a human rights body has said.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:Politics is revolting at the moment. Obviously the UC debacle seems to be institutionalised cruelty.

But personally, I reserve special loathing for politicians responsible for triggering art 50 now claiming it can be reversed without EU co-operation

You did it, either apoliogise or own it. You've made us all poorer, especially the poorest who you are supposed to represent.
Good morning all

Do we have a spambot that posts the same post day after day after day?

I hope it us a spambot as if it is a real person I would suggest they need to go and find something more meaningful to do with their time
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW I'm a bolloxbot but I do vary a tad.
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 18 Oct, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Wow I managed to merge the two threads.

And we have the correct date :-o
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Labour Whips‏Verified account @labourwhips 3h3 hours ago
More
Today MPs will debate a @UKLabour motion from @Debbie_abrahams calling on the Government to pause the roll-out of Universal Credit #PauseUC

Probably worth following #PauseUC today
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

More seriously

I would just like to give a final reply to this...I am sure it will not stop the continuous posting though

The decision to leave the EU was taken at the referendum. I know it was theoretically non-binding etc but I really cannot see how there was any alternative to nod through A50 based on that result

The time to put the limits on was before the referendum but that opportunity was missed

Once more people voted Leave then A50 had to be invoked at some point

There are some questions around abstention (I think that is a fair one and has merit but there would probably have been political consequences) or whether the EU should have allowed some of the negotiations to start before A50

We know it will be economically damaging, we know it was non-binding and we know A50 set the clock ticking

The die was cast by those who called the referendum, and those that set the terms.....

To me the whole political class has some blame for this including those decisions that helped produce the financial crisis and allowed the burden to fall on the poor. Those who pandered to UKIP and those that supported austerity

Brexit is a consequence of many things and to make such crass comments as the one above shows a lack of understanding

If there is a need to cover anyone in shit over this though then the names of Cameron and Osborne seem to be well to the front of the pack....but it goes much deeper than this
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Proving two threads are not necessarilly bettter than one.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:Proving two threads are not necessarilly bettter than one.
Boom boom ;-)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote:Politics is revolting at the moment. Obviously the UC debacle seems to be institutionalised cruelty.

Try blaming those who:

1. Put the referendum in their manifesto despite the EU being low down on the list of issues for voters simply to appease their revolting backbenchers

2. Called the referendum

3. Didn't make it clear it was only advisory and non-binding on Parliament

4. Or didn't stipulate that anything less than, say, 60:40 in leave's favour would be null and void

Once the result was known it was only a matter of time that Article 50 would be invoked - blaming those who voted for what was a formality is idiotic.

OK, I;m off to the library...I'll leave you to jeer at Labour like the other trolls.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Don't encourage me,that's the best it gets
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Meanwhile the "Northern Powerhouse" is grinding to a halt.

As I reported recently, public transport in Leeds is clearly suffering from capacity issues, with people unable to board buses and trains that are already full.

And Andy Burnham is ranting about bi-mode trains in Manchester, which don't seem to be a great success so far....

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apparently also.on BBC Parliament (DWP SC)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

UC line made free.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Predictably enough, they have announced they will stop charging for UC helpline.

Watch them spin this round the studios as though they've actually done something substantial to solve the real problem.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Try blaming those who:

1. Put the referendum in their manifesto despite the EU being low down on the list of issues for voters simply to appease their revolting backbenchers

2. Called the referendum

4. Or didn't stipulate that anything less than, say, 60:40 in leave's favour would be null and void

Once the result was known it was only a matter of time that Article 50 would be invoked - blaming those who voted for what was a formality is idiotic.

OK, I;m off to the library...I'll leave you to jeer at Labour like the other trolls.
Lots of other people to blame.

But, most of those campaigned for Brexit.

We should spare special opprobrium for hypocrites who voted to trigger Art 50 without conditions, now saying it should be reversed.

People like Umunna and Starmer now claiming to oppose where we inevitably now are deserve contempt.

And as I've explained before "it would have happened anyway" doesn't exculpate in the slightest all those like the dreadful Umunna or Starmer who contributed their vote.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I am afraid such things to me reveal the real extent of their shittery.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:I am afraid such things to me reveal the real extent of their shittery.
I assume this was in reply to me, not Hugo :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Try blaming those who:

2. Called the referendum

Lots of other people to blame.

But, most of those campaigned for Brexit.

We should spare special opprobrium for hypocrites who voted to trigger Art 50 without conditions, now saying it should be reversed.

People like Umunna and Starmer now claiming to oppose where we inevitably now are deserve contempt.

And as I've explained before "it would have happened anyway" doesn't exculpate in the slightest all those like the dreadful Umunna or Starmer who contributed their vote.
The people most deserving of contempt IMHO are those who purport to support the left but want to distract any and all conversations into a negative critique of the Labour Party.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Anyway I'm going to focus on UC today :fight:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sorry,yes.I should make clear but doing my match response to post game.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A trivial matter of no consequence,systematic undermining of basic State reciprocity/duty to citizens is so passe.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bloody hell even PF's got her armour on.Her combined thrashing a sword about and gin drinking is poetry in motion.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The fact that you may be already in work or not expected to mysteriously escapes them,before you get to patronising bollox.A job loss,sickness/disability/bereavement,accident etc doesn't give a toss about how hard you work or your budgeting skills.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41639456
More than 40,000 people a year in England are getting fines of £100 - from an automated system that dentists say is hitting the most vulnerable.
It's happened to me. Nightmare to try to sort out and I gave up.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:UC line made free.
BBC announced the helpline would be free 'after claims that calls cost 55p/minute'.
Claims? The BBC should really take more care with their language.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

10:23

Q: Will advance payments become more of a feature of UC?

Gauke says advance payments have always been part of the system. But giving advance payments is a sensible approach. It is an “effective” way of helping people through the first period.

He says he will look at the evidence. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
No rush . . .
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Meanwhile on BusinessLive
Breaking! Wage growth across the UK is still lagging behind inflation, even though the unemployment rate remains at its lowest level in 42-years.

Average earnings, excluding bonuses, rose by 2.1% per year in the three months to August. That’s down from 2.2% a month ago.

Including bonuses, wages rose by 2.2% - matching last month’s figures.

That means that real wages are still shrinking -- inflation was 2.6% in July (the mid-point of the quarter), and jumped to 3% in September.

The Office for National Statistics also reports that Britain’s unemployment rate remained at 4.3%, the lowest since 1975, thanks to another drop in the number of people out of work.
but
The employment minister, Damian Hinds, has welcomed the news that Britain’s unemployment rate remains at a 42-year low, with 32.10 million people in work (up 317,000 in the last year.).

Hinds says:

“Our economy is helping to create full time, permanent jobs which are giving people across the UK the chance of securing a reliable income.
so that's alright then.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Is this specific to community dentistry or that is where the main problem is?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It's an effective way of creating an inbuilt debt/increasing debt.Just pay the bloody thing in a timely fashion.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

gilsey wrote:Meanwhile on BusinessLive
Breaking! Wage growth across the UK is still lagging behind inflation, even though the unemployment rate remains at its lowest level in 42-years.

Average earnings, excluding bonuses, rose by 2.1% per year in the three months to August. That’s down from 2.2% a month ago.

Including bonuses, wages rose by 2.2% - matching last month’s figures.

That means that real wages are still shrinking -- inflation was 2.6% in July (the mid-point of the quarter), and jumped to 3% in September.

The Office for National Statistics also reports that Britain’s unemployment rate remained at 4.3%, the lowest since 1975, thanks to another drop in the number of people out of work.
but
The employment minister, Damian Hinds, has welcomed the news that Britain’s unemployment rate remains at a 42-year low, with 32.10 million people in work (up 317,000 in the last year.).

Hinds says:

“Our economy is helping to create full time, permanent jobs which are giving people across the UK the chance of securing a reliable income.
so that's alright then.
Brexit.

Also causing pubic finances to deteriorate, meaning less money available for everything else.

But it is a bit tricky, so best to talk about something else.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]mgQg4ze1_KU[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]0erxMEwGfIQ[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Gauke says he came into parliament after tax credits were introduced. UC is a much better system, being introduced in a much better way, he says.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:
Gauke says he came into parliament after tax credits were introduced. UC is a much better system, being introduced in a much better way, he says.
Conceptually it is better.

I'm not a big fan of the phrase "the devil is in the detail" but in this case it truly is.

My recollection is that Brown actually looked at something like UC, but he and his advisers concluded it could never work.

As I've said here before, the real problem is that at its core UC relies on up to date real time data on salary, which demonstrably is not being provided. If most people were in stable jobs with stable salaries, UC could probably work well, but the Tories have created a perfect storm by introducing this at a time when their policies are forcing people into self-employment, multiple employment, zero hours etc.

The system simply cannot keep up with such a fluid work environment.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I benefited personally from tax credits, and can inform Gauke that the above is 24 carat bull***t.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I benefited personally from tax credits, and can inform Gauke that the above is 24 carat bull***t.
Me too - I can't speak for others and I know I'm quite good at filling in forms, but compared to other things I've applied Tax Credits were simple to apply for and simple to renew, and made a huge difference.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

When you only qualify for one benefit, it is far easier to just apply for that benefit on its own. As soon as you combine benefits in one application process, it becomes unnecessarily complex for people who only qualify for part. I'm basing this on applying for free prescriptions as a student and having to fill out questions for housing benefit because it was on the same form. Six benefits on one form when you only want to apply for one isn't really better. Especially as other benefits still have to be applied for separately. It may be nicer for the government to have these benefits grouped together, but I'm still not convinced by this assumption it works better for claimants. Indeed, when different departments dealt with different benefits that was two, three, four times the people on the end of a phone and all were more specialist in their benefit so more able to resolve issues.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Never ceases to amaze me they get away with such bollox,often contradictory ie the DLA form.was so complicated all it took was a piece of paper with an x on it etc.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW it may have reduced ours by one in number of benefits/allowances,even then related/at the same time.CT isn't included as an obvious.I am wary of the consolidation/combining thing,often a way of removing,UC a perfect example.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:
I mean, going back to this again, why do they insult our intelligence by coming out with this sort of crap? It only leads to further grief for them in the longer run.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-41667556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The EU Withdrawal Bill may not now be discussed in the House of Commons until after the Autumn recess, sources have told the BBC.

The law is designed to transfer EU law into UK law ahead of Brexit.

It is facing stiff resistance from some Tory rebels as well as from the opposition parties.

One official source said it was not yet back in the house of Commons because there simply "is not enough political agreement yet".
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb