Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd October 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd October 2017

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

citizenJA wrote:Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
'Night CJA
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I tend to use Likudism rather than Zionism these days, for precisely the reasons Tubby outlines. I would recommend that to others, too.
Yeah. The depressing thing is that there'll be people like you in his local party, trade union etc, who very obviously aren't anti-Corbyn Israel stooges, who will likely have told him this, and explained to him how he might be coming across. But the problem seems to recur.

Obviously Dan Hodges and all lying is depressing too.

I hesitate to comment on anything to do with Israel but do find that AK's view is probably the closet to mine and anti-Likudism speaks to me

However, it has to be said even my anti-Likudism would be portrayed by many of the Israel lobby as anti-Semitic so does it make much difference? - to these any criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic and so I start to lose patience and sometimes make ill-advised comments.

The Israel lobby using anti-Semitism to defend their extreme political position is pernicious and is too often given more airtime than it should (often uncritically)

I think it is also fair to say that anti-Zionism is also in itself not anti-Semitic and there are people who were affected, and still are, affected by the creation and the expansion of Israel that oppose presence of the country itself.....for some Zionists expansion of the settlements is consistent with their political beliefs. I am not against the State of Israel at all and used to be an admirer but I can understand why some people may not be although those that support this have to very very careful how they phrase it and be very understanding of what their motivations are

A very difficult discussion to have but one thing I am happy to say that I despise Binyamin Netanyahu and his political philosophy and think that he is a major barrier to peace in the Middle-East. I also think that israel is an occupying force in lands that are not theirs and should be negotiating a peace deal for a two states solution and dismantling illegal settlements (this means all on occupied lands) - if that makes me anti-Semitic in the eyes of some people then I think they have the problem not I
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Back to what I was saying earlier about what Nazis say and do.
NBC News‏Verified account
@NBCNews
men supporting white nationalist Richard Spencer charged for allegedly opening fire on protesters
Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account @mattyglesias 19h19 hours ago
More Matthew Yglesias Retweeted NBC News
It’s possible that neo-Nazis’ attachment to free speech doctrine is not entirely sincere.
Don't take them saying nice things about Israel as "revealing the truth about Zionism". Because they're scumbag liars.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Comment as you want, HSOM. I'll take it in good faith, which I didn't always in the past. I absolutely ought to have done.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Certain female Tory MPs making absolute idiots of themselves, I see.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The party of Philip Davies seem to have discovered misogyny is bad.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Clive Lewis was light heartedly evoking S&M, wasn't he? Not that I know anything about it, but it's not really "misogyny", is it? It would have been understood well enough by the audience.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its not even just that, tbh - I couldn't possibly see how having a HoC debate on this stuff could rebound on the Tories in any way, could you?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Clive Lewis was light heartedly evoking S&M, wasn't he? Not that I know anything about it, but it's not really "misogyny", is it? It would have been understood well enough by the audience.
It was also directed at a man.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its not even just that, tbh - I couldn't possibly see how having a HoC debate on this stuff could rebound on the Tories in any way, could you?
*cough*
Calm down dear.
*cough*
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

refitman wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its not even just that, tbh - I couldn't possibly see how having a HoC debate on this stuff could rebound on the Tories in any way, could you?
*cough*
Calm down dear.
*cough*
Cough, cough, David Davis v Diane Abbot.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cough cough

Bob Stewart v Isabel Hardman.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Anyone want a throat sweet? Sounds like the Tory party conference in here.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FFS Ranters on the supported housing article,knee-jerking to elderly.Like social care,far from just the elderly.In any case I don't see the sense of plugging in to the divisive comparative fairness reduction schtick..Surprisingly people tend to get older.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I don't think many have even read the article,or first sentence.they've changed the headline,but you are still getting misinterpretating as elderly vulnerable/vulnerable elderly.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Storm Brian heads for Britain after flooding in south-west Ireland

The Great South Run in Portsmouth and Southsea was cancelled
Luckily, my psychic abilities prevented me from entering this year, so I avoided any disappointment.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 21 Oct, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

So, I added a comma. Want to make something of it?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Can somebody thank my post where I mention S&M, please? Not even Hindle's thanked it. It looks like people are passing over it in embarrassed silence.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Must have been bad,I've only known once when a run I was due to run was cancelled.Although a Wembley one had three false starts which caused mayhem .I went unareware before the time of mobiles/computers.Thankfully it was reasonably local and "could travel on the day"
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 21 Oct, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Can somebody thank my post where I mention S&M, please? Not even Hindle's thanked it. It looks like people are passing over it in embarrassed silence.
If it makes you feel better.

*presses button*
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Have done.I was thinking of a response but being careful as regards any self-revealing.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Grenfell firefighter: MPs should be dragged to look at tower’s shell

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... wers-shell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Thanks, fellas!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Thanks, fellas!
*reconsiders making a comment about whipping us into submission*

Oh.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Eight local council byelections this week, contested in any case - there was an unopposed Tory hold in South Oxfordshire DC in a single member ward where they had taken two thirds of the vote in 2015 (the first elections after boundary changes) with the LibDems just beating Labour for second.

Apart from that:

Epping Forest DC - Tory hold, trouncing the LibDems in a straight fight with over 80% of the vote. As this result suggests this has long been a very safe Tory berth, the only potential interest coming when the Tory winner of a previous 2009 byelection stood in 2011 as an Independent - but even they could only manage a distant second. In 2015, another straight fight saw Tories beat Labour by almost exactly 70-30; intriguing maybe that Labour seem to have more appeal than the LibDems in this true blue stronghold.

Gravesham DC - another safe Tory hold with 64% of the vote, up 6 points since 2015. This is another long safe ward for them which has had a fairly busy recent history, however - seeing previous byelections in 2004, 2011 and 2014. The middle one of those, held late that year after the regular elections in May had seen a big Tory win in a straight fight with Labour, was of some interest as it saw UKIP take a good second place; it was an early indicator of their coming surge in the next few years (both in Kent and more generally) However, Tories won the subsequent contests more easily and this time it was the turn of the LibDems to take a distant second place after sitting things out two years ago. Labour remained in third dropping back a bit, whilst UKIP collapsed from the mid 20s last time to little more than 5% - and bottom position - now.

Lincoln DC - Labour hold with a modest increase to the low 60s in a contest that showed little swing since last year's contest which duly returned 3 Labour councillors here in all-out elections following boundary changes (though the swing goes in - modest - different directions dependent on which method of calculating change from multi-member elections is chosen) The predecessor ward here differed only slightly, and wasn't always rock solid for Labour - LibDems took 1 of the 3 seats in previous 2007 all-out elections, held in in 2008 and only just lost in 2010 - but as in many cases the coalition put paid to all that and since 2011 the Tories have been the main, albeit distant, challengers. They also increased moderately this time to a quarter of the vote whilst both the Greens and LibDems fell back, the former winners here being beaten into last by a handful of votes.

Wigan - Labour hold, though their majority was cut as they fell to less than half the vote and there was an 8% swing to the second placed Tories. Whilst this ward has normally been safe for Labour, that hasn't always been so - back in 2004 there was actually a 2LD/1Lab split and then the ward voted LibDem in 2006, Labour in 2007 and Tory in 2008 before Labour finally started to become dominant from 2010. UKIP polled decently here in its first showing in 2015, and last year finished just a handful of votes behind the Tories - but their share was more than halved to 11% now. This was still enough to outpoll the LibDems and Greens (neither of whom stood in 2016) combined, the latter coming last with under 3%.

Hartlepool - a gain for the localist Putting Hartlepool First outfit from an Independent, augmenting their win here last year (its a gain because the pevious councillor was elected in 2015) Way back in 2002 Labour won and in 2006 the Tories did, but the future trends had been set when Independents won in 2003 and then both seats in 2004 all-out elections. From 2007 Independents always won here, including all 3 seats in the redrawn ward in the 2012 all-outs. Having seemingly established their dominance, though, UKIP broke through to win in 2014 - still following? - and weren't far behind in either of the following elections (even in coming third last year) Given this convoluted recent history, a fragmented contest could perhaps be expected and this didn't disappoint - the winner had less than a third of the vote, not far ahead of the same Independent candidate who also fell narrowly short in 2014 and 2016. Labour made a bit of a comeback in coming third with 18%, and the Tories also had a healthy increase. Even in one of their strongest councils in recent years, UKIP duly collapsed - down from nearly a quarter of the vote to just under 10% this time.

Nottingham - last but by no means least, an unusual three vacancies in one authority saw three Labour holds. All of them safely returned three Labour members in both 2015 and 2011, but going back a bit further their electoral histories differ - the first we shall consider is the one that reliably voted Labour in 2003 and 2007 too, though some interest is provided even here by UKIP taking second here in their first outing here two years ago. They even managed to just hold off the Tories for that now, though Labour romped home with 63% and a swing of some 7.5%. None of the others even managed 3% here - LibDems, Greens and finally the local novelty Bus Pass Elvis candidate (he has famously beaten the LibDems in previous Nottingham byelections, but couldn't quite do it this time) The second ward actually saw the LibDems take all three seats in 2003, but Labour took them in 2007 as the yellow team fell to third and never recovered. This time Labour won with over two thirds of the vote, an increase of nearly 20 points on two years ago and way ahead of the Tories who at least consolidated second place after being strongly challenged by UKIP for that last time - they had a double figure drop to less than 6%. Greens on 4%, more than halved, but they still beat the once powerful LibDems. The last contest was in a ward where Labour were pushed hard by an Independent in 2003 then dropped a seat to the Tories in 2007, and it was the closest fight now and the only one to see a pro-Tory swing - Labour had a healthy increase themselves to over half the vote, however, and whilst the Tories benefited most from UKIP's collapse - second with over 20% in 2015 to just 5% now - it still wasn't particularly close. Greens and LibDems also down, the latter finishing last with barely 1%.

Six contests to conclude October, one of them an unusual double vacancy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thankyou.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This looks capable of being highly embarrassing for the DfE...

Collapsing academy trust ‘asset-stripped its schools of millions’

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... us-parents
Wakefield City Academies Trust now stands accused of “asset stripping” after it transferred millions of pounds of the schools’ savings to its own accounts before collapsing. On 8 September it released a statement announcing it would divest itself of its 21 schools as it could not undertake the “rapid improvement our academies need”. It said that new sponsors would be found to take them over.
I have no idea about legally whose money is it that is held by the Trust. What happens to the cash after the schools have been transferred to other trusts is anybody's guess. Maybe back to the DfE.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Cough cough

Remind me of that one?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Cough cough

Remind me of that one?
Bob Stewart MP Dismisses Row Over ‘Totty’ Slur As ‘Political Correctness’

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/b ... 84d5b58b3c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:So, I added a comma. Want to make something of it?
On. The. Edge.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:So, I added a comma. Want to make something of it?
On. The. Edge.
[youtube]PhTgzx-LjJY[/youtube]
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Wait, that's not Aerosmith.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Don't know if Roger posted this before.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/53m-mat-growt ... en-record/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A fund for academy trusts to bid for- no track record required.

Intention for them to take over schools in.... areas where schools are already rated well overall by Ofsted.

Corruption.

I see Theodore Agnew is the "Academies Minister". I hadn't noticed John Nash going.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Shackled to a corpse.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just a follow up to the plight af a guy in my house.

He is basically in the same situation as thousands of others in this country reliant on short term, low paid agency work and Universal credit.

Last time I mentioned him he was selling his possesions for next to nothing because he was starving and desperate (and his pride had stopped him saying anything).

The good news is since then he got a couple of weeks work at a warehouse, and then a weeks work at a biscuit factory. I spoke to him today and asked how he was getting on and he told me the DWP had written to him to tell him that due to the amount of money he had earned he wasn't elligible for Universal Credit for 5 months, and then four days later they paid £200 into his bank account.

This is in Leeds, we've had this UC shit for two years and it's still a total farce. The idea of it being rolled out nationwide is terrifying.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Just a follow up to the plight af a guy in my house.

He is basically in the same situation as thousands of others in this country reliant on short term, low paid agency work and Universal credit.

Last time I mentioned him he was selling his possesions for next to nothing because he was starving and desperate (and his pride had stopped him saying anything).

The good news is since then he got a couple of weeks work at a warehouse, and then a weeks work at a biscuit factory. I spoke to him today and asked how he was getting on and he told me the DWP had written to him to tell him that due to the amount of money he had earned he wasn't elligible for Universal Credit for 5 months, and then four days later they paid £200 into his bank account.

This is in Leeds, we've had this UC shit for two years and it's still a total farce. The idea of it being rolled out nationwide is terrifying.
Very sorry to hear this. It's terrifying, isn't it?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

My hometown's MP.
Alex Chalk‏
@AlexChalkChelt
Calling for Theresa May's head because she had a cough is beyond parody. She's an excellent PM, and the best of us frankly. Backing her 100%
That's exactly what happened, wasn't it? Calls for her resignation came from nowhere after she had a cough.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:My hometown's MP.
Alex Chalk‏
@AlexChalkChelt
Calling for Theresa May's head because she had a cough is beyond parody. She's an excellent PM, and the best of us frankly. Backing her 100%
That's exactly what happened, wasn't it? Calls for her resignation came from nowhere after she had a cough.
Whenever they come out with crap like this, just ask them if they REALLY believe it. Many will be too embarrassed to answer.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Bless you Hindle, I haven't heard 'napper' in a long while, my Dad still says it. I wonder what the etymology of it is.

Lets face it, the welfare state has been pared down both under the last Labour government and all the shit we've had since. Yes we all hate Iain Duncan Smith but remember how we all previously hated the likes of James Purnell under Labour? He courted Sun headlines with the best of them.

Something has to change in this country and I have no idea how to do it. How can you make people kinder? How can you make people more generous to those with less? How can you make people give a shit?

You have to give them examples where acting in such ways has worked, but most of our press is owned by people who despise all those things and actively undermine them. it's a cunt of a world.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I've seen worrying letters under "Universal Support",part identifying,part veiled threat.We would have come under one of the categories-the usual conflation of disability/illness and criminality/deviance.

I,as my habit removed a post,to save confusion.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anyway 'Napper' - Late 18th century: from thieves' slang, of unknown origin.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yeah,also seen sheep stealer)

"Any old iron? Any old iron?
Any, any, any old iron?
You look neat. Talk about a treat!
You look so dapper from your napper to your feet.
Dressed in style, brand-new tile,
And your father's old green tie on.
But I wouldn't give you tuppence for your old watch and chain,
Old iron, old iron."
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

What about Cock?

My Dad still calls me cock, as do a couple of elderly fellows I know in Yorkshire.

Although Yorkshire is a bit weird in as much as men will call you 'love' even if you have a cock.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ay-private" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Austerity puts public workers’ wages below private sector
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -deal-veto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keir Starmer: Tory rebels and Labour will unite over Brexit deal veto
Shadow Brexit secretary tables six demands to end parliamentary paralysis of EU withdrawal bill
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

There's no way May can stop parliament having a vote on the final deal if they want to.

It's just a matter of if they want to or not.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... s-revealed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dinosaurs liked to snuggle up and socialise