Monday 23rd October 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Monday 23rd October 2017

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:Yet again.

It doesn't apply because nobody is being required to register.

EU citizens will lose their rights in Brexit. EU law will cease to apply.

So unless the UK gives those resident here the option to register, they'll lose their rights without more.

That option doesn't need to be given to those who have these rights independently of EU law.

You'll notice that despite your no doubt furious searching you haven't found any lawyers giving the story much credence.
You again ignore my assumption that this is a transitional arrangement under which we will be subject to EU law and if we have continued access to the EU SM as now then they will continue to apply beyond then. The compulsory registration idea was brought up in May's speech but still needs clarification

The MEPs raised A26 which is not the same as registration and that is explicitly covered....registration is less clear
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Who has suggested compulsion?

EU citizens will lose their rights upon Brexit.

He UK doesn't register those resident here.

If we don't give them the option to register, they'll just lose those rights.

The suggestion that doing so is unlawful discrimination against them is silly.

As a fallback position, it is quite clear that compulaory registration for greater than 3 months residence is lawful under EU law itself.see the link I gave you.

But please do carry on. Revealing.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Antoinette Sandbach, a Conservative, asks what will happen to the service sector if there is no Brexit deal. (Service are not covered by WTO trade rules.)

May says the government is looking at this.
Sandbach is one of the better Tories on the EU. Previously worked for David Jones MP, who is standard Welsh Bluekip. She must have enjoyed that.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:Who has suggested compulsion?

EU citizens will lose their rights upon Brexit.

He UK doesn't register those resident here.

If we don't give them the option to register, they'll just lose those rights.

The suggestion that doing so is unlawful discrimination against them is silly.

As a fallback position, it is quite clear that compulaory registration for greater than 3 months residence is lawful under EU law itself.see the link I gave you.

But please do carry on. Revealing.
On compulsory registration

Theresa May, Florence
So during the implementation period, people will continue to be able to come and live and work in the UK; but there will be a registration system – an essential preparation for the new regime.
The is an optional one now so the assumption can be fairly made this will be compulsory

Amber Rudd
EU citizens will still be allowed to come to the UK to live and work after Brexit as long as they register with the Home Office, Amber Rudd has announced.
you are right that registration is allowed under Article 8
1. Without prejudice to Article 5(5), for periods of residence longer than three months, the host Member State may require Union citizens to register with the relevant authorities.
but then there is Article 24 which muddies the water a bit - does registration fall under this. I haven't seen any comments on that
1. Subject to such specific provisions as are expressly provided for in the Treaty and secondary law, all Union citizens residing on the basis of this Directive in the territory of the host Member State shall enjoy equal treatment with the nationals of that Member State within the scope of the Treaty.
and actually the MEP also talked of Article 26 which is conflating registration and registration documents
Member States may carry out checks on compliance with any requirement deriving from their national legislation for non-nationals always to carry their registration certificate or residence card, provided that the same requirement applies to their own nationals as regards their identity card. In the event of failure to comply with this requirement, Member States may impose the same sanctions as those imposed on their own nationals for failure to carry their identity card.
This is all based on the assumption that the transition and future agreement leave us subject to the rules of the EU - if we leave without that then none of this is relevant, but do we want to be outside to that extent?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

At the weekend the Conservative MP Nusrat Ghani said she would be applying for an emergency debate on the Labour MP Clive Lewis using of the phrase “on your knees, bitch”. (It was obviously a dubious joke, but for various different reasons a coalition of people took offence, and bizarrely it ended up as a story on the News at 10.)

In the Commons John Bercow has just described Ghani’s proposal as “absurd” and “inappropriate”. He clearly did not even allow Ghani to make an application for an emergency debate in the Commons. He was speaking in response to the Tory MP Amanda Milling, who tried to raise the matter as a point of order. Bercow was quite dismissive towards Milling too, telling her she could try for an adjournment debate.
:D :D
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
At the weekend the Conservative MP Nusrat Ghani said she would be applying for an emergency debate on the Labour MP Clive Lewis using of the phrase “on your knees, bitch”. (It was obviously a dubious joke, but for various different reasons a coalition of people took offence, and bizarrely it ended up as a story on the News at 10.)

In the Commons John Bercow has just described Ghani’s proposal as “absurd” and “inappropriate”. He clearly did not even allow Ghani to make an application for an emergency debate in the Commons. He was speaking in response to the Tory MP Amanda Milling, who tried to raise the matter as a point of order. Bercow was quite dismissive towards Milling too, telling her she could try for an adjournment debate.
:D :D
I do like Bercow. Generally gets his priorities right.
Labour Whips

@labourwhips

Urgent debate on pause of the roll-out of Universal Credit granted 2moro to @Debbie_abrahams. Will force @DavidGauke to explain Govt policy
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The master negotiator.
May has implied that the government will not implement a transition period unless there is a deal on trade too by next autumn. David Davis, the Brexit secretary, said this last week and May’s spokesman said the same at lobby this morning.
Give us a trade deal, or we won't let you give us something else we want.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Terminally ill win tribunals against DWP assessors

http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-news/t ... -assessors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The master negotiator.
May has implied that the government will not implement a transition period unless there is a deal on trade too by next autumn. David Davis, the Brexit secretary, said this last week and May’s spokesman said the same at lobby this morning.
Give us a trade deal, or we won't let you give us something else we want.
The problem is that she can't implement a transition - which must have a start point and an end point! There is no sign (as far as I can see) of an agreed end point.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ds-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson on Brexit demands
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... bt-members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

E.Izzard trying for NEC again.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Another MP who has been"on a journey".

Where do they find them.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Take a look at the wording used...

Yes, commemorate now means the same as celebrate...and this was retweeted by a leading Blue Labour type.

:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote:Another MP who has been"on a journey".

Where do they find them.
Being serious here, this is going to become more and more of a problem in future - many older MPs will be thankful social media wasn't around in their youth.

The cynic in me wonders why O'Mara didn't try to cover his tracks regarding this stuff the instant he was elected.

Maybe he had genuinely forgotten he had ever written this rubbish? 2002/04 is a pretty long time ago now, after all.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Where do they find them.
Being serious here, this is going to become more and more of a problem in future - many older MPs will be thankful social media wasn't around in their youth.

The cynic in me wonders why O'Mara didn't try to cover his tracks regarding this stuff the instant he was elected.

Maybe he had genuinely forgotten he had ever written this rubbish? 2002/04 is a pretty long time ago now, after all.
I don't know when O'Mara's selection happened, but it must be true that a "snap" election throws up all kinds of MPs. Our own new MP is a case in the opposite direction. Decent to the core - not a career politician in any way.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Where do they find them.

He's paid to have a good memory.

I think a spell without the whip beckons.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Take a look at the wording used...

Yes, commemorate now means the same as celebrate...and this was retweeted by a leading Blue Labour type.

:roll:
Maybe someone could point that out underneath? He can be one of the more intelligent Tories on occasion, this is rather beneath him.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Where do they find them.

He does have cerebral palsy and I don't know if any of this can be linked to his symptoms

It does not excuse what he said but I have known a lot of kids with this condition (I am a very mild case myself but with very slight symptoms - it is thought due to mild oxygen starvation at birth) who have a tendency to erratic and asocial behaviour on occasion
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ubs-scheme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Children needing asylum in UK not being helped by Dubs scheme
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Dawn Foster is on fire on Twitter at the moment, worth a look :)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://news.sky.com/story/domestic-viol ... d-11090541" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Domestic violence victims 'sleeping rough' after refuges closed
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Where do they find them.

Rumours tonight that may happen quite soon.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://iconewsblog.org.uk/2017/10/23/w ... -the-line/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When political market research crosses the line
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Where do they find them.
it was 15 years ago, he was 20.
I suspect a lot of people including MPs have similar or worse skeletons from when they were that age, and i'd would be happier to have an MP whose been on a 'journey' and hopefully learnt something along the way than one from a privileged background whose just learnt entitlement.
edit: I'm mistaken, it was 13 years ago, will watch.