Tuesday 24th October 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 24th October 2017

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Ahh I just thanked a crap post by accident!
You can "un-thank" it, just click on that icon again :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Thanks AK
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'd be worried that there's more to come from O'Hara's internet past. Not that every one of us would like having 15 years worth of stuff scrutinized, but somebody has told Guido Fawkes what his user name was.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Chris Heaton-Harris
(@chhcalling)
To be absolutely clear, I believe in free speech in our universities and in having an open and vigorous debate on Brexit.

October 24, 2017
:rofl:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I'd be worried that there's more to come from O'Hara's internet past. Not that every one of us would like having 15 years worth of stuff scrutinized, but somebody has told Guido Fawkes what his user name was.
It will have diminishing returns I would have thought, most people are now aware of what he was like *then*.

Its evidence he hasn't changed much from those days that we should be more worried about.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I'd be worried that there's more to come from O'Hara's internet past. Not that every one of us would like having 15 years worth of stuff scrutinized, but somebody has told Guido Fawkes what his user name was.
There may be but this is a vile persecution and there should be a duty of care for a person who has an illness like this

I find the whole thing distasteful and I find Hugo’s contribution pretty awful....but people will not be surprised....with no sign of empathy
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Legislation to limit the payroll? That's not going to work. PPSs aren't paid. They'll just exist by another name.

Also, you need ministers for new things sometimes- Brexit, for example. Why should you have to scrap another post?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
It will have diminishing returns I would have thought, most people are now aware of what he was like *then*.

Its evidence he hasn't changed much from those days that we should be more worried about.
Some pretty pathetic "my side right or wrong" defences always happen in n these cases, Tory or Labour

Indeed, see above.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
citizenJA wrote:He took responsibility for something said over a dozen years ago
I can trust people who make amends for their wrongs

Yes, it was football culture apparently.

And if it had been a Tory,, they should resign as an MP.
It is hard to sustain that conclusion from what he actually says, though of course some right wing journalists are doing their utmost to.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Some pretty pathetic "my side right or wrong" defences always happen in n these cases, Tory or Labour

Indeed, see above.

Some of us have a little bit of empathy for someone with an illness

Not excusing but an understanding

It would be the same for a disabled Tory as well...I think some of us see it as being a decent human being...alien concept to you perhaps!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
Chris Heaton-Harris
(@chhcalling)
To be absolutely clear, I believe in free speech in our universities and in having an open and vigorous debate on Brexit.

October 24, 2017
:rofl:
Yes, I thought about posting the above when I saw it
I guess laughing is the best response, the healthiest, I think
I'm just incredulous
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
There may be but this is a vile persecution and there should be a duty of care for a person who has an illness like this

I find the whole thing distasteful and I find Hugo’s contribution pretty awful....but people will not be surprised....with no sign of empathy
I can't comment on his condition. If that's a factor, then it's more difficult.

Just seems to me, a tactical withdrawal is best all round.

The drip drip with this sort of stuff be what really damages.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

I can't comment on his condition. If that's a factor, then it's more difficult.

Just seems to me, a tactical withdrawal is best all round.

The drip drip with this sort of stuff be what really damages.
I don’t disagree about what he could or should do but if a general person with cerebral palsy was being bullied like this then we would not accept it without reminding people of sensitivity and a duty of care would we?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
citizenJA wrote:He took responsibility for something said over a dozen years ago
I can trust people who make amends for their wrongs

Yes, it was football culture apparently.

And if it had been a Tory,, they should resign as an MP.
It is hard to sustain that conclusion from what he actually says, though of course some right wing journalists are doing their utmost to.

I don't really agree. It is part of a wider problem with certain sections of the left.

"We're the good guys, and so can't be in the wrong."

You see it most often with anti-Semitism or nepotism on the left.

I really am not sure what his disability is to do either with these past statements, or his more recent inactivity. I don't think he can have been vetted properly, but there are worse than him.

The expenses scandal surely taught us that there are plenty of examples of lack of virtue on left and right. We should address it by cutting the number of MPs and by making it a more attractive job. Get rid of the third raters like O'Mara We need secretaries of state answerable in Parliament, but a far smaller payroll vote too
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Blimey. A thoroughly dejected, pessimistic and possibly more than a little accurate article from the Times on the damage wrought on the government and Parliament in general by the realities of EU referendum fallout:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/west ... -gxp2qcdt5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This, in particular, rings true:
Michael Gove and Boris Johnson both campaigned for Brexit but now seem uncertain about what it should mean. They wanted to shake things up but never expected to win. Like the robbers in The Italian Job, they were “only supposed to blow the bloody doors off”.
Meanwhile:
“We are trapped in a box,” admits one minister. “Parliament feels frozen by the referendum but people voted for a fantasy we can’t deliver. They can only have Brexit if they’re prepared to suffer the pain.” It is an extraordinary situation. In the past, ministers have resigned from the government in principle over much less. This is not so much a constitutional mess as an ethical one, with ambiguity on all sides.
What is it they say, "Cometh the hour, cometh the man". I think we might be in for a long wait on that one if the Tories remain in charge.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

That last post is despicable

No one has suggested he is absolved just that we show some understanding and be aware that cerebral palsy is not an easy condition to live with sometimes including inappropriate behaviour

The only person who showed any partisanship was your comment calling him a ‘Corbynista’

It would be the same for any public figure with an illness that can cause issues whether in the present or the past

Perhaps he was vetted and the risk was taken to allow someone with a disability to get elected (1 of 5)

You are a complete and utter ****
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:Blimey. A thoroughly dejected, pessimistic and possibly more than a little accurate article from the Times on the damage wrought on the government and Parliament in general by the realities of EU referendum fallout:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/west ... -gxp2qcdt5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This, in particular, rings true:
Michael Gove and Boris Johnson both campaigned for Brexit but now seem uncertain about what it should mean. They wanted to shake things up but never expected to win. Like the robbers in The Italian Job, they were “only supposed to blow the bloody doors off”.
Meanwhile:
“We are trapped in a box,” admits one minister. “Parliament feels frozen by the referendum but people voted for a fantasy we can’t deliver. They can only have Brexit if they’re prepared to suffer the pain.” It is an extraordinary situation. In the past, ministers have resigned from the government in principle over much less. This is not so much a constitutional mess as an ethical one, with ambiguity on all sides.
What is it they say, "Cometh the hour, cometh the man". I think we might be in for a long wait on that one if the Tories remain in charge.
Yes. Bleakly brilliant piece. Everything else just a distraction
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Re public transport.To state the obvious,sometimes it is just a case of slight adjustments.Our local bus now goes via the nearest railway station.Of course,I am claiming it was soley due to me and taking up my suggestion of a mere fourteen years ago.The annoying bit from centre to station was a pain,alone,never mind with wheelchair and luggage,nearly always used taxi to/from home.We probably wouldn't have always used the bus given change subject to my powers of persuasion and genetic disposition of fainting at avoidable costs of more than a tenner,but at least an option.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@howsilly

A hundred preceeds search without beginning to describe this fellow ?(4)
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 24 Oct, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

“Chris Heaton-Harris wrote to universities in his capacity as an MP, not as a representative of the government,” the prime minister’s spokesman said. “I think what the prime minister has always been very clear on is her respect for the freedom and independence of universities and the role they play in creating open and stimulating debate.”

Asked if he would take the opportunity to reassure universities, he said: “The letter was sent in a personal capacity. Free speech is one of the foundations on which our universities are built and of course it should be respected.”

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ies-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heaton-Harris wrote to Universities requesting names in his MP capacity.
Heaton-Harris wrote to Universities requesting names in a personal capacity.
Incoherent Tory government
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The letter doesn't look like any writing paper to me.What tax payer funds went towards these personal use letters?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:The letter doesn't look like any writing paper to me.What tax payer funds went towards these personal use letters?
"A Conservative MP and government whip has written to all UK universities demanding a list of professors who are teaching students about Brexit, prompting an angry backlash from academics.

Chris Heaton-Harris, a staunch Brexit supporter, was accused of “McCarthyism” after sending the letter to university vice chancellors asking that they send him information on what their lecturers are telling students about Britain's departure from the EU, as well as the names of all staff who are doing the teaching."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 16876.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(cJA emphasis)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Heaton-Harris Tory MP posts on twitter
What some people are allowed to get away with is sickening
It makes a mockery of truth, justice and fairness
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There is probably a logical reason why I put my shed keys in the cutlery drawer.Or perhaps not.Being positive,it wasn't the freezer like last time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Hang on a minute I'm just defrosting the keys"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Doing a housing survey thing tomorrow for a ten pound voucher.I give it away.I embarrass myself by my generosity sometimes.

(On what basis does the "u" disappear,by the way?.Also,a concern of mine is why Dumbarton becomes Dunbartonshire)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Couple of things that interested me, that weren't on the Graun's frontpage

Frances Coppola on German Banks

https://www.forbes.com/sites/francescop ... 653efb6c69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Don't be put off by it being in Forbes. Frances is no rightwinger. She is clever I think.)

This by contrast is definitely rightwing, in capx by the head of research at the ASI on housing

https://capx.co/more-borrowing-wont-sol ... -182439277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting though. The claims about density and greenbelt is especially eye opening.
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

HindleA wrote:@howsilly

Good Afternoon.

I'm not good at cryptic crosswords - Seriously, the guy who was teaching me how to do them had a heart attack and died - But out of mild curiosity would the mention of 'A hundred' be the letter 'C'?

Just askin........
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Roger did you pick this up?

Laura McInerney‏Verified account @miss_mcinerney 5h5 hours ago
People are going to be too polite to say this, but Greening is sinking badly. It’s like the pain of watching May all over again.

Laura McInerney‏Verified account
@miss_mcinerney
There are people putting their heads in their hands. Others quietly crept out. Teachers don’t normally leave Sec of State speeches.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

discordantharmony wrote:

Good Afternoon.

I'm not good at cryptic crosswords - Seriously, the guy who was teaching me how to do them had a heart attack and died - But out of mild curiosity would the mention of 'A hundred' be the letter 'C'?

Just askin........
I got Cook. But am unconvinced.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

The internet's been up the shoot again.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

At some risk to myself,yes Roman numeral.
To clarify,merely suggesting a possibility for the asterisks.Neither agreeing or disagreeing.

Aaaaaarghhhhhh.O.K. just a twang.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
discordantharmony wrote:

Good Afternoon.

Just askin........
Aha I now have it :twisted:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
discordantharmony wrote:

Good Afternoon.

Just askin........
Jeremy Cook?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cook would fit.Attempt at humour/PE crossword style.No deliberate offence intended.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:At some risk to myself,yes Roman numeral.
To clarify,merely suggesting a possibility for the asterisks.Neither agreeing or disagreeing.

Aaaaaarghhhhhh.O.K. just a twang.
You are there or thereabouts!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:Cook would fit.Attempt at humour/PE crossword style.No deliberate offence intended.
Mine was intended in that particular case
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

BBC apologises over interview with climate sceptic Lord Lawson

Exclusive: Lawson’s claim that global temperatures are not rising went unchallenged, breaching guidelines on accuracy and impartiality (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... gel-lawson
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PF I don't think banging with a sledgehammer is a recognised solution to internet loss,but it appears to have worked.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Roger did you pick this up?

Laura McInerney‏Verified account @miss_mcinerney 5h5 hours ago
People are going to be too polite to say this, but Greening is sinking badly. It’s like the pain of watching May all over again.

Laura McInerney‏Verified account
@miss_mcinerney
There are people putting their heads in their hands. Others quietly crept out. Teachers don’t normally leave Sec of State speeches.

Saw the first but not the second. Just saw this...
Laura McInerney‏Verified account @miss_mcinerney 6h6 hours ago
More
Replying to @miss_mcinerney
She has a habit of saying important declarative sentences in a tone that suggests they are a question. It deflates everything.
That's really not good...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/justic ... ow.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Justice in jeopardy: government defies backlash to confirm 'reckless' legal aid cuts
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
BBC apologises over interview with climate sceptic Lord Lawson

Exclusive: Lawson’s claim that global temperatures are not rising went unchallenged, breaching guidelines on accuracy and impartiality (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... gel-lawson
Perhaps giving that crackpot Minford free advertising could be next?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK housing crisis is hitting older people too, not just the young
Claudia Wood
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
Jeremy Cook?
The worst sort of scoundrel.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Apparently, there's a fault in the area and connection will be intermittent for two days. And that's just the internet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Wondered why the picture was fuzzy,hard to tell sometimes.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

'k life's weird.

Or am I missing something?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

Hugo is a wind up merchant.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

The internet's been up the shoot again.
and you an out an' out techie.
citizenJA
Prime Minister