Wednesday 25th October 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 25th October 2017

Post by HindleA »

There wasn't a "swearing at Tories",option as a leisure pursuit,obvious bias
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Seriously,why stop there.Accessible,wheelchair friendly,adapted,trained staff,dialysis if required just rejig the pipes,and put the Braun back in.Rolling in it.Doctor Death's Sanctuary may need a rethink.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"May says the government has been making changes. But why was it introduced. Under Labour the low-paid paid tax, and then had it paid back in benefits. The number of people in workless households doubled."

How do they get away with just making it up?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1667869 ... cktrack-on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-airlines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NAACP warns black passengers of flying American Airlines after 'disturbing incidents'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Watching a programme, on BBC2 TV, called "Further Back in Time for Dinner". It's about rationing. Seems appropriate, somehow. Oh, look! A Royal Wedding to cheer up the restive population. Oh - and "National Banana Day". We're now up to the bit about the foundation of the NHS.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Have opponents of the British sales of arms to Saudi Arabia been called "the enemy" yet?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:Watching a programme, on BBC2 TV, called "Further Back in Time for Dinner". It's about rationing. Seems appropriate, somehow. Oh, look! A Royal Wedding to cheer up the restive population. Oh - and "National Banana Day". We're now up to the bit about the foundation of the NHS.
Reminds me of a glorious Neil Kinnock moment - in the days before he became Labour leader he was lectured by some pompous old Tory buffer in the HoC about how he had sacrificed so much during WW2; "what did YOU do for the war effort??" he asked.

Kinnock's reply - "well I was born in 1942, but I did go without bananas for 4 years" :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all. Decent day in the library poring over old road and building plans, and directories. Some "Oh that's where it is" and some "Oh, he typed the street name incorrectly" but all useful stuff.

So...300 yesterday, 250 today. We'll be down to about 25 by the end of the week I reckon.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Watching a programme, on BBC2 TV, called "Further Back in Time for Dinner". It's about rationing. Seems appropriate, somehow. Oh, look! A Royal Wedding to cheer up the restive population. Oh - and "National Banana Day". We're now up to the bit about the foundation of the NHS.
Reminds me of a glorious Neil Kinnock moment - in the days before he became Labour leader he was lectured by some pompous old Tory buffer in the HoC about how he had sacrificed so much during WW2; "what did YOU do for the war effort??" he asked.

Kinnock's reply - "well I was born in 1942, but I did go without bananas for 4 years" :D
My grandfather was a fire warden for a food warehouse during WWII and had a habit of going up to women in pubs saying "I bet you haven't seen one of these for a while" with a banana in his pocket.

Thankfully he never subsequently became a Labour MP.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:Do we or don't we like green eggs with ham?
[youtube]Lum83DLPXIw[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.politico.eu/article/ivan-ro ... sador/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LONDON — The U.K. has been “screwed” in Brexit negotiations because it triggered Article 50 too soon, the country’s former EU ambassador said.

Ivan Rogers, who resigned as the U.K.’s permanent representative to the EU in January, also warned that a “bloody” no-deal scenario could be set in motion as early as December, and could end up with the two sides in a “trade war” and wanting to “knock chunks out of each other.”
Cheery stuff. Hope he's wrong.

If exit negotiations are still struggling along at an impasse this time next year, a no confidence vote could come into play, but if May and co actively walk away now blaming the EU, I'm really not sure how Tory and DUP MPs would respond.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Occasional visitor 1: regular contributer 0
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Brexit is hindering research collaboration, say EU universities

Institutions across Europe demand clarification of whether and how UK will be able to participate in academic projectsBritain has said it wants to remain in the EU’s flagship €75bn (£66bn) Horizon 2020 research programme after Brexit, but has not said how, while its future in the Erasmus+ student mobility scheme, which helps nearly 300,000 students – including 30,000 Britons – study abroad each year, is unclear. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... iversities
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The NAACP has issued a warning to black travelers about flying with American Airlines, following what the US’s oldest and most well-known civil rights organization called a series of “disturbing incidents”.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-airlines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Forget baked beans, invest in butter !

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... r-shortage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nn
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Publish or perish eh?
Still. Apolitical - was always gonna work. Right?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:rofl:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

cleverest person in the room.
my arse.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I have a book to recommend to you. Reading it at the moment, tons of interesting stuff about rationing and related scams.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very cheap second hand too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I have a book to recommend to you. Reading it at the moment, tons of interesting stuff about rationing and related scams.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very cheap second hand too.
Thanks. I've just read the blurb and it sounds like great stuff. I'll follow it up.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@tinyclanger2

Stream of consciousness night?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Mentioning psychology.Mihaly Csikszentmihaly.Because I like his name.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]lwedA8do0cU[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Social Care Debate Hansard for those interested.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2 ... 4DC0AB5D86" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"we have to stop considering health and social care in separate silos"

Says the doctor that repeatedly voted for cuts in both direct and indirect terms to benefits/allowances specifically for extra costs towards care in own home/social care.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I sometimes wonder if they changed the name or way of paying the knee jerk to "benefits"/historical amnesia could be averted.Another reason why I don't like the universal thing,a lot of this gets hidden either for political expediency or ignorance,or the discretionary/localised ruse.My position is ridiculously simple,you shouldn't as policy make it purposefully harder under unaffordeability when you are willing to splash far more to warehouse people in a strangers spare room as an example.Caring and the facillitation of shouldn't be subject to discretion.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Eg the hospital/NHS paid towards home haemodialysis as it saves them money and mutually beneficial.Also,links to CT reduction and used to for DLA and related CA,I don't know if this is replicated under PIP or will case law and evidence have to pursued over again.That's integration as it should be for set purpose.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm a fine one to talk about historic amnesia,I forget what I have done half an hour ago.

Well,hopefully this bollox has maintained the usual level of banality and I have made efforts as to the badly written side of things;although I thought it was a forum not an English examination,but at least I can capitalise my forum name correctly,so that is something.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Flow-zone-groove.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://johnbromford.wordpress.com/2017 ... n-support/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DON’T MENTION SUPPORT

intense lobbying from tenants, carers groups, national and local providers and charities; and after recommendations from MPs on the communities and local government and work and pension committees in parliament; it finally looks as though the government is about to abandon the plans and think again.

It’s certainly good news. Supported housing tenants look set to be spared from a position where their ordinary housing costs would cease to be met through a rights based benefit and where they would have to rely on a discretionary and cash limited local authority pot to keep a roof over their head. But as we’ve stood transfixed by this looming threat of the LHA cap, light fingered local authorities have reached into our back pockets and taken much of what remained of the already depleted Supporting People funding.

If plans to introduce the mother of all postcode lotteries to the funding of essential housing costs has been seen off let’s cheer; but let’s not think that the future of supported housing is safe. Larger than normal communal areas, a lift where there might have been stairs, and perhaps some enhanced security measures, might all be common in supported housing schemes. But they are not enough on their own to make it supported housing.

In many areas floating support has become a distant memory. Now the loss of revenue funding for vital support workers, scheme managers and hostel workers is gathering a pace. Many providers of supported and sheltered housing are having to reduce staffing levels, restrict access to services and generally limit their ambitions for their services and those who use them. As older schemes reach the end of their natural life many are not being replaced in a like for like way.

So one cheer for the end of the LHA cap. Now let’s get back to making the case for a re-imagined and reinvigorated supported housing sector where the housing and the support is adequately and sustainably funded; and the contribution supported housing can make to the wider health and wellbeing agenda is better understood.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 102517.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could squirrel trade have contributed to England's medieval leprosy outbreak?
(just liked the headline)