Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th October 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th October 2017

Post by HindleA »

"Hop"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Votes starting to come in

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/elections2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... port-warns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Universal credit ‘penalises the self-employed’ report warns

Bloody obvious,as highlighted several eons ago by Eph et al associates.Some rather nasty,though less in number,indeed deemed "insignificant" as,we were,which was indeed an honour,"unintended" stuff also.
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 29 Oct, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I did argue if so insignificant why the arse are you doing it,perhaps not quite in those terms.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/polit ... nt_ousted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Iceland’s government ousted, Social Democrats gain, two new parties to enter parliament
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... byn-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regeneration – or pushing out the poor? Labour divides in bitter housing battle
The fierce opposition to Haringey council’s regeneration deal goes to the heart of a national debate – and tests Corbyn’s party

Dave Hill
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... e-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Coming up to half way

Independence 16
Left-Green 11
SDA. 8
Progressive 7
Centre. 6
Pirate. 6
Peoples. 5
Restoration. 4

(Others 0)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... nting-poll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

National Trust faces legal challenge over ‘irregularities’ in trail hunting poll
Members say they were not sent ballot papers after narrow defeat for motion demanding the sport be banned on the charity’s land
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I think crustaceans should sue,myself.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Not only have I changed the clock (here) but I remembered how to do it - after a bit of noodling around.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tin foil hats not necessary for this one. Nigel Farage clearly has a lot of questions to answer.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... y-alliance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trump, Assange, Bannon, Farage… bound together in an unholy alliance
Carole Cadwalladr
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Tory minister Sex Toy Story dominates the ‘news’ as a change from the laddish O’Mara .

I’m waiting for the Tory MP Antisemitism one to balance up our party pollitics … the LP cannot be allowed to have a monopoly !

The first few comments are needed v this article —

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... estitution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Great Appeaser, and Reformer, ... built houses --

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... mr-hammond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UC took a right hammering on the BBC's Broadcasting House just now .

From everyone .
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

HindleA wrote:I think crustaceans should sue,myself.
Good morning.

Sadly sometimes accusers cant
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

In a well-functioning democracy, a well-functioning press and a well-functioning parliament would help a well-functioning judiciary do its job. Britain is not that country. There is a vacuum where questions should be, the committees, the inquiries, the headlines on the TV bulletins. What was Nigel Farage doing in the Ecuadorian embassy? More to the point: why has no public official asked him?
from willow's link above.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Britain is not that country.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Howdy, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The sun is out and it's lovely
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Just started raining in my bit of Lower Normandy ...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

frog222 wrote:Tory minister Sex Toy Story dominates the ‘news’ as a change from the laddish O’Mara .

I’m waiting for the Tory MP Antisemitism one to balance up our party pollitics …
What is this?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I thought frog was being sarcastic?
If there was one we wouldn't hear about it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... dle-finger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kathy Burke: ‘Lifelong member of the non-pretty working classes’
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
frog222 wrote:Tory minister Sex Toy Story dominates the ‘news’ as a change from the laddish O’Mara .

I’m waiting for the Tory MP Antisemitism one to balance up our party pollitics …
What is this?
Gilsey -- "" I thought frog was being sarcastic?
If there was one we wouldn't hear about it.""

--------------------

Not really being sarcastic, in that way, but tired of the repeated "Labour is antisemitic", when I reckon you could find at least as much low-level antisemitism on the other side ?

EDIT PS just as you can find sex scandals, great and small, all around
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Labour is as antisemitic as any other organisation and society in general, at worst.
At best, a little less so.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Gilsey 1.23, agreed , but the LP has been getting some Very Special Treatment .

That old Aipac situation in the US and equivalents everywhere.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

This one on the disappearing headteachers is more straightforward !

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -107238762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is cheating on the marking of coursework extremely widespread ?

Revising marking systems upwards appears to be on the rise too.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Six local council byelections this week:

Tameside - Labour hold with a healthy increase to over 60% of the vote. Whilst this ward returned three Labour councillors in 2004 and has voted for them ever since, its recent electoral history is still of some interest - after the first all-out election (when a localist group was second) runners up spot was taken by the radical right; the BNP between 2006 and 2010 and UKIP from 2011 to last year, in 2014 they finished within 10 points of Labour and even last year took over 30%. This time round, however, they were nowhere to be seen and the Tories (who did not even stand here in 2015, a rare event for a Met borough, and came a poor third last year) took advantage to amass almost a third of the vote themselves. LibDems stood here for the first time since 2010 and got less than 4%, but it was still enough to beat the Greens who were down on 2016.

Loughborough DC - an unusual double vacancy saw a Labour hold with an increase of some 18 points on two years ago taking them well above 60%. Whilst this ward has faithfully returned two Labour members ever since 2003, the Tories got reasonably close in 2007 and fielded just a single candidate this time in an apparent bid to maximise their chances - but their share was nearly unchanged and they were beaten almost as decisively as in a previous 2013 by-election here. UKIP were close to coming second then, but that was their high point and their 8% was less than half of what they got in 2015. Greens in last place with 6%, also losing more than half their share.

Derbyshire Dales DC - Tory hold, though their vote dropped by 6% on 2015's showing to less than half. This ward safely returned 2 Tories in 2003 and was actually unopposed 4 years later, but in 2011 a single Labour candidate ran them fairly close before the Tories again won easily on GE day two years ago. This time round, though, the main challenge came from the LibDems - who had not previously contested here this millennium but now came second with over 30%. Labour also slightly down on two years ago, as they came 3rd in a 3 horse race.

Mid Sussex DC - Tory hold, though again they slipped a little on two years ago to clearly under the 60% mark. In 2003 the LibDems won both seats here and in 2007 positively trounced the Tories, but the blue team won both seats in 2011 and very easily won in 2015 when the LibDems did not stand at all. That was rectified this time, and the yellows duly took second place with 22% - though this is still well short of their previous showings. Labour - who came second last time in the LibDems absence - saw their vote almost halved, whilst an Independent came last with 7%.

Kirklees - Labour hold with a mountainous 77% of the vote, up 7 points on last year. In the 2004 all out elections 3 Labour members were returned here - though on that occasion a LibDem ran them close, Labour have won every election since and many of them by very wide margins indeed; the only moderately interesting thing in recent years being an Independent getting a respectable second in 2014. Tories a very distant second with little change on 2016, then an Independent (not the same as in 2014, this is an ex-UKIPper) with 4%, less than half of what they managed a year ago. LibDems and Greens (both also down) brought up the rear.

Herefordshire - Tory gain from the localist Its Our County group, breaking a run of poor byelection results for them in this unitary authority. Two years ago - in the first post boundary change elections (which, incidentally, made every ward here single member) - the Tories did not even stand as IOC won with almost exactly half the vote. This time round, though, they got close to 40% and won comfortably. Second was taken by an Independent who with 20% improved slightly on the Indy showing in 2015, closely followed by IOC who were down fully 30 points on last time. LibDems used to dominate the larger 3-member predecessor ward here (until IOC broke through in 2011) and still came second last time, but they also crashed by over 20 points and only narrowly finished ahead of Labour who got just shy of 10% after also not standing previously.

Six contests again to begin November.
Thanks as ever AK.

For the record, the Kirklees seat was Batley East, in the constituency that was Jo Cox's.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:Not only have I changed the clock (here) but I remembered how to do it - after a bit of noodling around.
To noodle, as in "You can noodle it yourself!"?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Similar to fiddling around,(originally musical related became generally applied)AFAIK.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Thanks as ever AK.

For the record, the Kirklees seat was Batley East, in the constituency that was Jo Cox's.
And the byelection Indy was UKIP candidate for B&S at the 2015 GE and an Independent this June.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Oh FFS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41795579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PF's cat enjoying National Cat Day,certainly making up for the lost time.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Oh FFS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41795579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope that this isn't another idea (like Universal Credit) that's ok to Labour "in principle".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What ####ing principle misuse of public funds,far better spent,on I don't know, paid carer,possibly overnight/live -in for the same/similar bucks?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:What ####ing principle misuse of public funds,far better spent,on I don't know, paid carer,possibly overnight/live -in for the same/similar bucks?
I'm thinking that this idea suddenly popping up almost directly after the ruling over carers having to be paid minimum wage for sleep-in night shifts is very fishy. Self-employed "gig economy" workers aren't protected by minimum wage rules. £50 for 24 hr care is £2.08 an hour. You wouldn't be able to go out and leave someone alone if they were recovering from a general anaesthetic, for instance. If someone can be left alone, you don't really have any reason not to send them home, do you? I really am baffled as to how this can be anything other than unsafe or exploitative.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
HindleA wrote:What ####ing principle misuse of public funds,far better spent,on I don't know, paid carer,possibly overnight/live -in for the same/similar bucks?
I'm thinking that this idea suddenly popping up almost directly after the ruling over carers having to be paid minimum wage for sleep-in night shifts is very fishy. Self-employed "gig economy" workers aren't protected by minimum wage rules. £50 for 24 hr care is £2.08 an hour. You wouldn't be able to go out and leave someone alone if they were recovering from a general anaesthetic, for instance. If someone can be left alone, you don't really have any reason not to send them home, do you? I really am baffled as to how this can be anything other than unsafe or exploitative.
Care workers taking in recovering ill people in their spare time
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Care workers taking in recovering ill people in their spare time
But this doesn't seem to extend to social care, the lack of which is agreed to be an issue. It seems very specific. People who need to be kept an eye on by someone but who don't need any medical or social care. What happens with people with no friends or relatives who need to be observed for 24hrs after a procedure or operation at the moment? Do they occupy a physical bed in hospital? Even if they do, they probably don't require much in the way of staff resources, I suspect. Is this even a "problem" that needs solving? Even if it is, doling out money to a third party and all the money needed for vetting and safeguarding sounds like more of a drain on the public purse than a saving. Meanwhile the lack of social care options, which can only be provided by trained and properly paid care workers, continues to go unaddressed.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:

I hope that this isn't another idea (like Universal Credit) that's ok to Labour "in principle".
I don't think there is very much chance of that.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Eg.Barbara Keeley Shadow Mental Health & Social Care

#It should be ruled out - lack of safeguards for the discharged patients.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

I don't think there is very much chance of that.
Well, quotes like this -
Labour's shadow health minister Justin Madders said the scheme would be a "sticking plaster" for wider NHS issues, while shadow social care minister Barbara Keeley warned there were "clear safety risks".
worry me. Why not "This is is barking mad, dangerous and simply a money making scheme. We oppose it completely"?

Edited to tidy up
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well to me "clear safety risks" hardly sounds supportive even "in principle". I think - and hope - that you may be worrying overtly here.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It should be ruled out,seems pretty clear to me.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It's all those things-mention the most evident,relate to broader issues.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I found this to be admirably clear on the current situation in Northern Ireland

https://www.ft.com/content/8f12afca-bb2 ... 61783e5589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:It's all those things-mention the most evident,relate to broader issues.
It should be dismissed out of hand by Labour.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Having said that #free TV in every room,,wi-fi,fully accessible,wet room,24 room.service,
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Situated on the edge of the Peak District,recuperate in the specially designed gardens or indulge in intellectual discussions with local sage Tarquin the Turtle,subject to availabilty.

PTO