Tuesday 31st October 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 31st October 2017

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:So it was gleeful gloating about the Tories you specifically dislike, but just passing on information about the rest?

Of course you're not answerable to me. I'm certainly not suggesting you are.
Why speak like it then? Other folk here manage to be more civil even when they disagree with me.

And yet again you put words in my mouth. Where did I say they were Tories I specifically dislike? I didn't. You are IMHO wrong to pursue this.

I and others here find Shapps funny because, well where to start? It probably started with the multiple identities, which does have comedy value IMHO.

And I explained Heaton-Harris. It relates to me in my professional context. The letter he sent was deeply weird and troubling to many in Universities. Is that OK with the self-appointed FTN arbiter of good taste please?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Mr Green/Shapps is always good for a laugh .

Until you see how far the con-men are successful at the mom .

Then it's not so funny, see Trump ?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

frog222 wrote:Mr Green/Shapps is always good for a laugh .

Phew and I thought it was just me ;-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
frog222 wrote:Mr Green/Shapps is always good for a laugh .

Phew and I thought it was just me ;-)
Hehe ! More seriously, the lovely Giulia Enders has an anecdote about a sea-creature that moves around looking for a place to settle .

When it has found its haven, food supplies handy and so on, it eats its own brain .

Well, you only need a brain if you are moving .

The similarity with those people who are terminally fixed with certain ideologies, tribal loyalties, etc, I find rather apt :-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... dling-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Facebook, Google and Twitter grilled by Congress over Russian meddling – live
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Australia

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... he-iceberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reports of poor standards in aged care are just the tip of the iceberg
Sarah Russell
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Bex Bailey is, even now, very brave.

There should be zero tolerance for this stuff in any political party, indeed any branch of politics (or media)

The end.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41811492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NI budget planned amid deadlocked Stormont talks
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

For about 100 reasons I found this from 2016 'interesting'

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1013#p126361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I have always 'caused trouble'
But I don't do it on purpose. It is merely on account of what I see as being helpful/appropriate.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good evening

Nice to see PfY maintaining his politeness after a slime attack from our usual suspect!

On that list, we have to remember that this originated from the Tories - this is not 'dirty tricks' by Labour but is likely to be a means for the party to keep MPs in line and make sure they don't rebel - there will be a similar list on the Labour side too I imagine - it is just they haven't let it slip

Some of these people will be no more guilty than having relationships but others will have been behaving disgracefully, and some will have been very exploitative

As to it being a Tory list, well for once it isn't Labour (although the establishment has been rallying round with the commentators doing their best to sweep it under the carpet - would it be thus with Labour - I think not) and I do admit to a bit of Schadenfreude seeing how these holier than thou arrogant wankers are frequently in the tv studios taking the high moral ground against the poor and those less fotunate as themselves

So, is this a solely Tory problem - of course not, but it is good that it is them and some of those names do give me cause for a bit of a giggle
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Evening all

Have successfully induction cooked potatoes.

Meanwhile in political news, the US election/Russia investigation is slowly heating up:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/ ... ion-244370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clovis said to be 'cooperative witness' in Senate Russia probe
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Willow904 wrote:Evening all

Meanwhile in political news, the US election/Russia investigation is slowly heating up:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/ ... ion-244370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This apparently simple statement terrifies me. What does it mean? What kind of technology does it require? Will I be required to learn how to do it at any point or can it be avoided?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(quietly freaking out)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ha,ha.I have visions of potatoes being formally introduced to a cooker.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:For about 100 reasons I found this from 2016 'interesting'

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1013#p126361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is sometimes fun to look back on old threads and see what we said in the past - my assumption about no early general election was not the most accurate I have seen for example! Although I did say it was 'very unlikely' so left myself the tiniest bit of wriggle room

I see my tetchiness hasn't shown any signs of improving, however, and apologies for that - I am the scorpion in the 'frog and the scorpion'

PS I also got bored with ignoring SH.....find it much more fun arguing
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Mueller seems to be playing this one through and things must be getting a bit warm.....how long before Trump does something stupid like trying to sack him or issue pardons?

What will the reaction to such a blatant misuse of power be (although I have a feeling it is not actually proscribed and illegal to do)?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well after your "incisive" comment regarding me,I did look back on mine.I couldn't really see any evidence of that.Overrall impression was an incredible amount of bollox,which I think I have maintained a certain level of consistency over some time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

TC2

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:Well after your "incisive" comment regarding me,I did look back on mine.I couldn't really see any evidence of that.Overrall impression was an incredible amount of bollox,which I think I have maintained a certain level of consistency over some time.
you do yourself a disservice young sir
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:TC2

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thanks
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I do sometimes make points etc,amidst the bollox,or try to.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 31 Oct, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 29916.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Davis concedes that Brexit withdrawal agreement with EU will 'probably favour the union' financially
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Bex Bailey is, even now, very brave.

There should be zero tolerance for this stuff in any political party, indeed any branch of politics (or media)

The end.
Age and gender of MPs should mean more Tories implicated than Labour. It may be bad.

But

There are elements of the left who confuse politics with moral rectitude. The foolish idea that there are goodies and baddies, and that all are on one side or the other.

It was this idea hat led to Shami Chakrabarti being given a peerage and being made a shadow minister immediately after conducting an independent review into anti-Semitism. So sure were they of their own moral superiority that they couldn't see how awful, and reputation shredding this was.

The expenses scandal should have taught us that it isn't true that moral virtue is all n one side, but apparently we'll have to relearn thay again, with some people posting lists of Tories implicated without evidence (Amber Rudd ffs).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well of course,your whole schtick is claiming moral superiority.Despite repeated polite and extremely tolerant put requests,you continue to show disrespect,another salient evidential feature of nearly all your posts.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Did I just see that right

Hugo accusing others of foolishly believing there are just goodies and baddies when he has demonstrated time and again that he cannot think in any other way than this!

Of course there are 'elements of the left' who believe this - do you think this is news? I think we all have met them and find them insufferably boring.

Anyone who sees things in such simplistic terms, such as yourself and these 'elements of the left' have very little interesting to say in general.....refusing to understand the complexity of the world

The point about Chakrabarti is you just expressing your opinion (and managing to bring up this anti-semitism nonsense again at the same time) - you may have found it awful and 'reputation shredding' but some of us didn't and found the whole thing a bit of trumped up hysteria at a time when the Labour Party was busy trying to tear itself to shreds.

I really don't give a shit about this list....it doesn't make me think any worse of many of the names on it than I do now anyway as I think the Tories are a despicable lot based on what they are doing to the poor in this country - an I think that they are immoral to do so

You are only too happy to chuck around these anti-semitism claims and repeat many of the mistruths about Corbyn in the press so I don't think you are in any position to criticise - like many of us you are happy to share dubious information if it promotes your point of view
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Tue 31 Oct, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

TC2 apart from an extreme ironing injury when following your encouragement,I can't recall you causing me any particular trouble.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:TC2 apart from an extreme ironing injury when following your encouragement,I can't recall you causing me any particular trouble.
need to try harder then tc2!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apologies for posting information about induction cookers.I fully realise this was an intentional snipe at other types of cooker and nothing to do with sharing information.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This was pretty inevitable but won't go down at all well in certain right wing 'shrink the state at all costs' circles.

Brexit: Whitehall headcount to balloon by 8,000 workers

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... avid-davis
Preparations to leave the EU have already cost the government half a billion pounds and will lead the headcount in Whitehall to balloon by at least 8,000 workers by the end of next year, the government has admitted.

The Brexit secretary, David Davis, told the cabinet there had been a “significant acceleration” in work to get Britain ready for its EU departure, with 300 programmes under way across the government.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.thehillsboroughlaw.com/campaign-supporters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hillsborough Law Supporters
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I note that nearly all leading Corbyn-sympathetic people on social media have been exemplary on the Bailey business (despite SH's comment above)

Apart from anything else, these people *will* have noticed the devastating effect that whitewashing "Comrade Delta" had on the SWP.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I note that nearly all leading Corbyn-sympathetic people on social media have been exemplary on the Bailey business (despite SH's comment above)

Apart from anything else, these people *will* have noticed the devastating effect that whitewashing "Comrade Delta" had on the SWP.

Type "Kuennesberg" into the twittee search engine and see the reaction to her reporting of the story.

"But the Tories..."

"Exemplary" is not the description I'd use.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Do you know what "leading" actually means??

Of course you do, so even by your standards this is breathtakingly disingenuous.

For the benefit of the hard of thinking, or the terminally mendacious - ANONYMOUS IDIOTS ON TWITTER WITH A HANDFUL OF FOLLOWERS DON'T COUNT HERE.

Indeed, it would not be a surprise if some were "bots" or trolls aiming to discredit the cause.

Would it??
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:

This apparently simple statement terrifies me. What does it mean? What kind of technology does it require? Will I be required to learn how to do it at any point or can it be avoided?
Sorry not to respond earlier. I didn't mean to spread alarm :D There was a whole background story to this statement but the basic upshot is that I recently ended up the owner of an induction hob cooker and am now endeavouring to enter the Star Trek-like future of cooking via electromagnetism. So far it's been an experience. Will be attempting spaghetti bolognese tomorrow, which may prove interesting.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:TC2

This is the key point.
Cooktops are also usually easy to clean, because the cooktop itself does not get very hot.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have servants for such tasks,doesn't everybody?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote: Sorry not to respond earlier. I didn't mean to spread alarm :D There was a whole background story to this statement but the basic upshot is that I recently ended up the owner of an induction hob cooker and am now endeavouring to enter the Star Trek-like future of cooking via electromagnetism. So far it's been an experience. Will be attempting spaghetti bolognese tomorrow, which may prove interesting.
I feel a personal responsibility for the quality of your bolognese....

Hope you don't need too many new pans.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Did have amahs for part of my childhood,,it was the norm.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Do you know what "leading" actually means??

Of course you do, so even by your standards this is breathtakingly disingenuous.

For the benefit of the hard of thinking, or the terminally mendacious - ANONYMOUS IDIOTS ON TWITTER WITH A HANDFUL OF FOLLOWERS DON'T COUNT HERE.

Indeed, it would not be a surprise if some were "bots" or trolls aiming to discredit the cause.

Would it??

False flag conspirators trying to discredit the true left you mean?

No doubt.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Sorry not to respond earlier. I didn't mean to spread alarm :D There was a whole background story to this statement but the basic upshot is that I recently ended up the owner of an induction hob cooker and am now endeavouring to enter the Star Trek-like future of cooking via electromagnetism. So far it's been an experience. Will be attempting spaghetti bolognese tomorrow, which may prove interesting.
I feel a personal responsibility for the quality of your bolognese....

Hope you don't need too many new pans.
Explorations with a magnet revealed one current pan suitable for induction cooking!

New replacements came in at roughly what we would normally pay for installation of a gas cooker, though, so not so bad.

As memories of cooking on electric are of solid hotplates that take forever to heat up and cool down, I don't think there'll be any regrets. The sheer speed alone is worth getting to grips with mysterious noises and strange keypad controls.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Night all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So SH, you deny that there are bots and trolls on Twitter? ;)

A few right wingers have been exposed as pretending to be Corbynistas on social media, FWIW.

Don't see why anybody should be surprised tbh - the same thing happens with for example football (people pretending to support a team they don't) all the time.

If you don't think this sort of thing goes on you are very naive. And despite my disagreements with you, I refuse to believe that you are.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:So SH, you deny that there are bots and trolls on Twitter? ;)

A few right wingers have been exposed as pretending to be Corbynistas on social media, FWIW.

Don't see why anybody should be surprised tbh - the same thing happens with for example football (people pretending to support a team they don't) all the time.

If you don't think this sort of thing goes on you are very naive. And despite my disagreements with you, I refuse to believe that you are.

I'm sure there are some

I am also quite sure that vast majority denouncing Kuennesberg as a Tory stooge and moaning "but the Tories" are not bots.

So, you're characterisation of the reaction as "exemplary" is not one I'd accept. I'd suggest yet a further example of the naive view that personal virtue is on one side (see this board all too frequently). Politics as sport, yet again.

People are, of course, free to go look for themselves and make their own minds up.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yet again, I said "LEADING". Stop pretending that I didn't, or that you don't know what the word means.

Take a look at what the likes of what (for example) Bastani, Jones, Wilkinson and Gann have said. Some have, indeed, called out the anonymous idiots for their idiocy.

That's me done for the day, good night.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Good night AK and Willow
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hope PF and cja are o.k.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Not for me to suggest what constitutes bullying, total misrepresentation of individuals,posts and evidential reverse of given portrayal of forum"
Certainly not.
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 01 Nov, 2017 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Or indeed unacceptable behaviour,sneering contempt and lack of basic respect.

Never,no way.