Tuesday 31st October 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 31st October 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 31st October 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Morning,
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... an-collini" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Brexit witch-hunt against universities reveals the right’s paranoid thinking"
..Meanwhile, having shown himself so intensely concerned with the teaching of European politics in British universities, I’m sure Mr Heaton-Harris will be delighted to know that his letter to vice-chancellors is on the way to becoming a set text. After all, it has several merits for that purpose: it’s short, representative, revealing, and already exists in multiple copies.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@tinybgoat

Trump\Dawn? Me neither. And I have "Googled" it.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(via guardian : https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -continues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

I see Mr. Jenkins still haunts the old fairground.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Almost as blatantly obvious, here come JHB, Michael Fallon and the Sun, dutifully followed by the useless BBC, to defuse the Westminster sex pest story.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:@tinybgoat

Trump\Dawn? Me neither. And I have "Googled" it.
Nearest I've found is
http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dawn-kell ... 59134.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but she changed her surname from Dawn Trump to Dawn Kelly, and no mention of Cheryl.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.politico.eu/article/secret- ... eaving-eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"My secret plan to turn students against Brexit"
Try as I might to bend the minds of my supposedly vulnerable young charges to my Europhile will, the little blighters simply will insist on thinking for themselves. Honestly, sometimes I don’t know why I bother; I really don’t.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

There's a possibility that Carles Puigdemont will seek political asylum in Belgium (Sky TV News).
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A basic income for everyone? Yes, Finland shows it really can work
Aditya Chakrabortty
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sic-income" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
we have ended up with a system shot through by two toxic beliefs.

One, that poverty is the product of personal moral failure. For the former chancellor George Osborne, it was about skivers v strivers. For IDS, poverty was the rotten fruit of broken families, addiction or debt. Neither man, nor the rest of their party, can accept what their rightwing counterparts in Finland do: that poverty is no more than a lack of money.
Well said.

I'm not sure I'm convinced about it working 'for everyone' but I certainly think the Finnish experiment is commendable.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2017/1 ... ty-courts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The state of the County Courts
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:There's a possibility that Carles Puigdemont will seek political asylum in Belgium (Sky TV News).
Some wag has suggested Scotland ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Simplest cases,claims of success reminds of something else.The "lack of money",schtick totally ignores the structural/situational barriers that no amount of money can overcome on an individual basis.Quite clear to me why the Right would be attracted.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:A basic income for everyone? Yes, Finland shows it really can work
Aditya Chakrabortty
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sic-income" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One, that poverty is the product of personal moral failure. For the former chancellor George Osborne, it was about skivers v strivers. For IDS, poverty was the rotten fruit of broken families, addiction or debt. Neither man, nor the rest of their party, can accept what their rightwing counterparts in Finland do: that poverty is no more than a lack of money.
Well said.

I'm not sure I'm convinced about it working 'for everyone' but I certainly think the Finnish experiment is commendable.
Yes, this is certainly well worth watching.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Brexit deal will only be legal after a vote of MPs

https://t.co/sHF9uyNUbL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm an old fart,I actually think account of contributions(in broad terms and reconfigured)and State reciprocity is worth preserving,especially when it is increasingly getting shredded.This smacks of an individualised reverse,have some dosh regardless,to me,great to those that have choice,increasingly not on a continuum IMHO,at best "service" and less choice.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Brexit deal will only be legal after a vote of MPs

https://t.co/sHF9uyNUbL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Drip by drip, they are having to recognise reality.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:I'm an old fart,I actually think account of contributions(in broad terms and reconfigured)and State reciprocity is worth preserving,especially when it is increasingly getting shredded.This smacks of an individualised reverse,have some dosh regardless,to me,great to those that have choice,increasingly not on a continuum IMHO,at best "service" and less choice.
It won't be worth it if a Universal Income is used as an excuse to dismantle public services
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm out of whack with some if not many.Ironically and counter intuitively I cannot see if generally applied,rather than emancipatory,increased contingency,removing of choice at best,fundamentally different situations have to be treated fundamentally differently."Universal"is a double edged sword.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:I'm an old fart,I actually think account of contributions(in broad terms and reconfigured)and State reciprocity is worth preserving,especially when it is increasingly getting shredded.This smacks of an individualised reverse,have some dosh regardless,to me,great to those that have choice,increasingly not on a continuum IMHO,at best "service" and less choice.
It won't be worth it if a Universal Income is used as an excuse to dismantle public services
And this is why some of us are wary of fully embracing the idea. But done right, it also has the potential to be an extremely good thing - hence the interest in Finland.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.24housing.co.uk/news/labour- ... ng-policy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour call for ‘cross party’ housing policy
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:I'm out of whack with some if not many.Ironically and counter intuitively I cannot see if generally applied,rather than emancipatory,increased contingency,removing of choice at best,fundamentally different situations have to be treated fundamentally differently."Universal"is a double edged sword.
You've been instrumental in changing my mind about UBI, which I used to view far more favourably than I do now.

Saving unemployed/underemployed people from having to engage with the ridiculous conditionality would be a great thing though.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:There's a possibility that Carles Puigdemont will seek political asylum in Belgium (Sky TV News).
Some wag has suggested Scotland ;)
He's merely exercising his right to the freedom of movement within the EU!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 29216.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meanwhile, the SNP continue to alienate Spain - a country which could make an independent Scotland's entry to the EU very difficult.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/n ... -1-4598570" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Saw Death of Stalin last night. Very good, recommend it highly.

This Iannucci interview very good, especially from 8.15 onwards

SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:A basic income for everyone? Yes, Finland shows it really can work
Aditya Chakrabortty

Well said.

Yes, this is certainly well worth watching.
It is a non-starter when you look at the figures. Lovely idea of course.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Damien Green
Andrew Mitchell
Stephen Crabb
Matt Hancock
Boris Johnson
Mark Garnier
Michael Fallon
George Hollingberry
Nigel Adams
Conor Burns
Charlie Ephicke
Nigel Evans
Guy Opperman
Jake Berry
Justin Tomlinson
Bob Stewart
Chris Heaton-Harris :lol:
Chris Procter
Michael Fabricant
Michael Ellis
Robert Halfon
John Whittingdale
Liz Truss
Daniel Kawcynski
John Hayes
Liam Fox
Alan M???
Claire Perry
Chris Skidmore
Rory Stewart
Steve Double
Will Wragg
Dom Raab
Grant Shapps :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nicholas Soames
Mark Menzies
Amber Rudd
Alun Cairns
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

With apologies for typos and misspellings
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And there are some slightly different variants circulating. I decided not to include the "indiscretions".
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Three female MPs on "the list", I see.......
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I place no store in that list, and I think it is a silly thing to post.

It includes, say, Amber Rudd for being in a relationship with Kwasi Kwarteng, which as far as I am aware isn't immoral, unless we're supposed to be in the business of condemning relationships outside of wedlock.

It isn't very helpful, as it lumps together some pretty serious allegations, with things that are both public knowledge and not immoral on any view.

I've no doubt that some MPs have done some horrible things. That just doesn't have much to do with some of the names on that list.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I am aware that "the list" lumps very innocuous consensual stuff together with things that, if true, the perpetrators deserve banging up for.

But sooner or later the latter group are going to be "outed" fully - its only a matter of time.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I am aware that "the list" lumps very innocuous consensual stuff together with things that, if true, the perpetrators deserve banging up for.

But sooner or later the latter group are going to be "outed" fully - its only a matter of time.

I fully approve of outing people who have committed serious wrongdoing.

I don't approve at all of lumping them in with people who've done nothing at all, and sniggering over it. Juvenile.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Three female MPs on "the list", I see.......

And you've checked out what their accused of?

I don't approve of this list of names, and think it is probably defamatory by association.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

No, I haven't seen the details - just mentioning because some might be surprised the list isn't all male.

There is at least one Tory woman MP not cited that I have heard "interesting" things about. Let's just leave it there.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:No, I haven't seen the details - just mentioning because some might be surprised the list isn't all male.

There is at least one Tory woman MP not cited that I have heard "interesting" things about. Let's just leave it there.
It is only"surprising" if you thought, as is suggested by the claim that those guilty of "indiscretions" have been removed, that this is a list of those accused of sexual harrasment. It isn't.

That list includes people who have been accused of nothing more than having consensual sexual relations with other people. It isn't "surprising" at all.

I suppose some people, presumably Paul, think that because they're Tories they're just fair game. Nobody, I hope, would consider posting a list like that with the names of say sports celebrities, some accused of serious wrongdoing others of nothing but not being married to the person they have sex with.

I don't agree. There are good and sufficient reasons, not just legal, for not posting lists like that. That they're Tories might justify it in the heads of some, but I'd suggest you're wrong.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No juvenile is discounting as irrelevant and then giving further information because you didn't get there first.I had no idea about Amber Rudd,and as far as I am concerned reaction to that information is more emetic than sniggering.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think you are reading a bit much into PfY's motivations there, he just reproduced a list that has been posted elsewhere.

Everybody is well aware now that not everyone listed is suspected of serious sexual misconduct.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Amol Rajan‏Verified account @amolrajanBBC 50m50 minutes ago
More
.@BBCNewsnight Editor @iankatz1000 has confirmed in an email to staff that he’s leaving. Heading to @Channel4.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think you are reading a bit much into PfY's motivations there, he just reproduced a list that has been posted elsewhere.

Everybody is well aware now that not everyone listed is suspected of serious sexual misconduct.
That you're repeating something somebody else has already said is no excuse at all.

As for Paul's motives, I don't know and make no claim about them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The actual evidence is against you,in that regard and clear to see.You are in essence,a bully.People have their own sensitivities which you compute and attempt to use against.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://labourlist.org/2017/10/the-targ ... is-autumn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the updated list of target seats where Labour has opened selection contests
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... ng#history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consultation outcome
Funding for supported housing

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... sultations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open consultation
Funding for supported housing - two consultations
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:I place no store in that list, and I think it is a silly thing to post.

It includes, say, Amber Rudd for being in a relationship with Kwasi Kwarteng, which as far as I am aware isn't immoral, unless we're supposed to be in the business of condemning relationships outside of wedlock.

It isn't very helpful, as it lumps together some pretty serious allegations, with things that are both public knowledge and not immoral on any view.

I've no doubt that some MPs have done some horrible things. That just doesn't have much to do with some of the names on that list.
It's a list that is being widely circulated in the news.

We can discuss it and I don't need your approval to post anything thank you.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think you are reading a bit much into PfY's motivations there, he just reproduced a list that has been posted elsewhere.

That you're repeating something somebody else has already said is no excuse at all.

As for Paul's motives, I don't know and make no claim about them.
Well don't tell me my post is "silly" then.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Exactly. I passed no judgement on anyone on the list. It's of interest.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

That'll be the explanation for the laughing emojis I expect.

A dispassionate passing on of information.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... to-poverty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

That'll be the explanation for the laughing emojis I expect.

A dispassionate passing on of information.
Grant Shapps has long been an object of certain ridicule on here, it's fair to say. Hence the emojis.

Heaton-Harris was a minor personal Schadenfreude from me because I work at a University and he sent that rather troubling letter round just last week.

I don't need to justify myself to you btw, but thought fellow posters might enjoy the explanation.

Now leave it please. Anatoly has also asked you to leave it.

Next?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

So it was gleeful gloating about the Tories you specifically dislike, but just passing on information about the rest?

Of course you're not answerable to me. I'm certainly not suggesting you are.