Wednesday 1st November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 1st November 2017

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:Evening all.

Have successfully induction cooked spaghetti bolognese :dance:

So we're sticking to tradition I see. With Labour it's money, with the Tories it's always sex. We still haven't learnt anything new of note, though, as far as I can tell. Least scandalous scandal so far. Where are the revelations?
You have inspired me to become informed , at last !

Finally creeping into the 21st Century, Wiki --
For nearly all models of induction cooktops, a cooking vessel must be made of, or contain, a ferromagnetic metal such as cast iron or some stainless steels. However, copper, glass, non magnetic stainless steels, and aluminum vessels can be used if placed on a ferromagnetic disk which functions as a conventional hotplate.

Induction cooking is quite efficient, which means it puts less waste heat into the kitchen, can be quickly turned off, and has safety advantages compared to gas stoves. Cooktops are also usually easy to clean, because the cooktop itself does not get very hot.
Most of my pans pass the magnet test. I've been thinking of retiring my electric cooker, bought secondhand in Reading in 1975 ...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dApp_Tweet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

National Audit Office to examine UK's Brexit divorce bill
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

More to the point - Page 3 and nobody told me. Here, at last.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Eh?.Clearly states on the bottom of page 2.

"Whistles",innocently (again)
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 01 Nov, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Hi frog222.

I'm glad to have provided some inspiration, though it was gilsey who started it all really.

I'm finding it rather different, but not in a bad way. I'm a truly hopeless cook and hate getting used to new cookers, but I'm managing better than I expected. And bringing water to the boil for pasta was incredibly fast. Still trying to get the right power levels for simmering, but if memory serves me right I suspect I'd have had similar problems with any electric hob compared to gas.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gingerbread.org.uk/policy-c ... tionality/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:Hi frog222.

I'm glad to have provided some inspiration, though it was gilsey who started it all really.

I'm finding it rather different, but not in a bad way. I'm a truly hopeless cook and hate getting used to new cookers, but I'm managing better than I expected. And bringing water to the boil for pasta was incredibly fast. Still trying to get the right power levels for simmering, but if memory serves me right I suspect I'd have had similar problems with any electric hob compared to gas.

Hello Willow -- I do most of my cooking on a bottle-gas hob, but the antique anglo cooker is still used for its oven and one ring out of three, and am slowly coming round to the idea of being uptodate !

I blame you for inspiring me to research it, now for the oven ...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Key findings

The findings show that a lack of part-time jobs and suitable childcare will make it difficult for parents with pre-school aged children to move into and sustain work. This risks this group of parents being exposed to financial sanctions and further poverty.

As a priority, the report calls on the Government to:

Suspend job seeking requirements for this group of parents until sufficient childcare and flexible jobs are in place;
Need one say more ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Good night PF.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

:-
Attachments
IMG_20171101_221720.jpg
IMG_20171101_221720.jpg (120.82 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I don't really understand why Fallon resigned...I know he may be a bit of an 'old school' politician but I thought the JHB thing had blown over....how much more is there?

Also, it suggests that this may not be quite as benign for the Tories as suggested - and it may set a precedence for others. What else and who else is going to be affected by this?

Is this one of those slow burners that seems innocuous but then builds momentum....and, unfortunately, this is of far more interest to pursue for the tabloid (an non-tabloid) rags than poor people starving to death?

Or will we have forgotten about it by next week?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I think its becoming clear now that Fallon hasn't quit solely, or even mainly, because of the Hartley-Brewer business.

Indeed, that is increasingly starting to appear a not terribly subtle "dead cat".
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think its becoming clear now that Fallon hasn't quit solely, or even mainly, because of the Hartley-Brewer business.

Indeed, that is increasingly starting to appear a not terribly subtle "dead cat".
Agree....so what is it that caused this and does it suggest a deeper issue

I do not doubt that it is not as serious as the rape allegation touching on Labour but in terms of current political impact then it is probably more relevant
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

From the BBC Home Duty Editor...
Allie Hodgkins-Brown‏ @AllieHBNews 5m5 minutes ago
More Allie Hodgkins-Brown Retweeted Laura Kuenssberg
‘it's also been suggested to the BBC that No 10 was approached by several women with concerns about Sir Michael this afternoon & within hrs he’d therefore taken the decision to go’
So not just the knees...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And from a Tory backbencher...
Gary Streeter MP‏Verified account
@garystreeterSWD
Follow Follow @garystreeterSWD
More
Feels increasingly like 92-97 parl: no majority, no money, ripping ourselves apart over EU. That lasted 5 years. Oh dear.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:From the BBC Home Duty Editor...
Allie Hodgkins-Brown‏ @AllieHBNews 5m5 minutes ago
More Allie Hodgkins-Brown Retweeted Laura Kuenssberg
‘it's also been suggested to the BBC that No 10 was approached by several women with concerns about Sir Michael this afternoon & within hrs he’d therefore taken the decision to go’
So not just the knees...
watching the press review on Sky with some appalling woman from the 'Institute for Ideas' - seems to be a libertarian - and it seems to miss the point that, firstly, we do not know what has really gone on and also that this is not just about sex but also about power - and the misuse of this power by (normally) middle-aged men

And in the case with Ministers and MPs these are the people who are making laws and pronouncements that affect us - Fallon is only too happy to defend austerity policies that predominantly negatively affect women whilst at the same time he seems to think some women are free game (if the allegations are true).

In the public sector the law is very strict on the abuse of power by people such as teachers, social workers and the police. Politicians should be treated the same

The whole Westminster/media/PR/lobbying bubble seems to be a bit of a cesspit - a bit like the aristocracy during the Regency - and the sooner someone cleans it out the better. Patronage, tradition, drinks, power, money, ambition coupled with some deeply unpleasant people does not sound a recipe for good behaviour....and just to repeat this is the atmosphere and culture where are laws are being made!

This goes wider than the Tories...Rennard, Danczuk, Joyce and others have all been imlicate din the past....but they are the ones in the spotlight in this current rumourfest and that is probably normal with term being in Government - just as Labour copped most flack for the expenses scandal
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Wed 01 Nov, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/ian-si ... million-of" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What's with the it was acceptable then but not know bollox?As if talking about centuries ago.So the standards of my behaviour were lower were caused by the last Labour Government,or something.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 02 Nov, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

:-
Attachments
IMG_20171101_234437.jpg
IMG_20171101_234437.jpg (188.07 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Set example to servicemen and women and others"-you what.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

howsillyofme1 wrote: watching the press review on Sky with some appalling woman from the 'Institute for Ideas' - seems to be a libertarian
That's one of the many organisations that is basically Spiked people - Claire Fox, Brendan O'Fuckwit, Furedi etc.

It concerns me that normally intelligent people seem to take them seriously.

They had a Battle of Ideas event at the weekend - it's only when dig a bit deeper into some of the speakers' biogs that you discover the link to Spiked.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... record-ifs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Child poverty in Britain set to soar to new record, says thinktank
IFS forecast that 37% of children will be in relative poverty by 2022 would see all progress made in the last 20 years undone

https://www.ifs.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;