Wednesday 1st November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 1st November 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 1st November 2017

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

And I was just going to be so smug that I'd managed to merge HindleA's thread ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Whistles" innocently.

Letter and explanation highlighting but one targeted and pernicious cut under UC,on design.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:"Whistles" innocently.

Letter and explanation highlighting but one targeted and pernicious cut under UC,on design.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As universal credit only rolls together 6 of very many diverse benefits, I'm beginning to wonder why ESA should be one of them. If you are going to "simplify" things, wouldn't it be simpler to deal with sickness and disability benefits separately from others? Far from a bold re-imaging, putting ESA in seems to me a very unimaginative continuation of old fashioned contributions based social security arrangements of yesteryear which hugely complicates UC in a way that is so unnecessary.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Really is awful you know,piddly little bits in the scheme of things,to account for different situations that don't apply to many,purposefully discarded.I would suggest ever more reason to keep.Cynical and pernicious,given general ignorance.If I am not or at least attempt to be at least a tad more moral than the architects of such things,I'd give up.That isn't knee-jerk,it is the very leastI would expect of myself.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Contributory versions of JSA,ESA are outwith.As,are DLA/PIP of course and CT.Of course,as we would have had you can have in/out with some eg.CA being a stand alone either out or effectively in.As far as I can make out we,at most latterly had a massive reduction of one due to CA receipt.
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 01 Nov, 2017 8:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

It does seem to be a major part of the Tory voting personality to be completely unable to consider why things had previously developed in the way they did, preferring to believe petty reasons behind things which are inconvenient for them.

So speed cameras are deemed always to have been installed to make money out of innocent drivers and not at all in response to the death of someone at the hands of a speeding driver. Although it is also an idiom that it will take a death to convince the council to put in speed cameras or traffic lights or whatever they would like to see happen.

Still, can't quite work out the petty, malicious reason why lone disabled people came to be given more money that needs to be "corrected" by UC. And if it was on purpose, which I presume it was, then taking it away must surely deserve an explanation as to reasoning for why they don't need it any more.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Contributory versions of JSA,ESA are outwith.As,are DLA/PIP of course and CT.Of course,as we would have had you can have in/out with some eg.CA being a stand alone either out or effectively in.As far as I can make out we,at most latterly had a massive reduction of one due to CA receipt.
Two systems. One contributory, one means tested. One in UC, one not.

Contributions based benefits will get the chop. Not because there has been a debate and a case made to change policy, but by the back door in the pursuit of simplicity. A simplicity that is echoed in not having speed cameras anymore. That's nice and simple too. The problems that prompted the silly, complicated solutions in the first place will just magically disappear, no doubt.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Big yawn from PF there,after the customary two fags,five to ten minute hacking cough,expulsion of air and top up of gin.I expect she will say hello in her usual style.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... r-benefits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Armed Forces Pay is today's ODD after PMQ's.

Other SC's etc.

http://parliamentlive.tv/Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://news.sky.com/story/right-to-buy- ... sf-twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right to Buy: Flagship Government housing scheme in trouble
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(Six fags,half an hour hacking cough and a tumbler of gin)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:http://news.sky.com/story/right-to-buy- ... sf-twitter

Right to Buy: Flagship Government housing scheme in trouble
Bloody stupid idea, anyway.

(I've corrected it now, but I originally typed "stupoid". I think that should be an officially recognised noun. And, no, I wasn't using it as a noun. . .)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Those pesky experts again.

Tackle UK's north-south divide with pledge on infrastructure, say experts
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... commission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

And, right on cue, an example of a "stupoid" -
In his Today interview William Hague also said he would be more likely to vote leave if there were a second EU referendum now, even though he voted remain in 2016, because the country had to accept the result. (Politics Live, Guardian)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The photo of Anna Soubry at the start of Politics Live looks like a left-over from last night.

She does seem to be very sound on this issue, saw her with Harman the other night and they were very much on the same page.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

PorFavor wrote:And, right on cue, an example of a "stupoid" -
In his Today interview William Hague also said he would be more likely to vote leave if there were a second EU referendum now, even though he voted remain in 2016, because the country had to accept the result. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Siri, show me why we're completely fucked as a nation, with the most unspeakably wretched political class since Lord Liverpool.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I trust that a certain poster has refreshed themselves on the meaning of "leading" before posting today?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I trust that a certain poster has refreshed themselves on the meaning of "leading" before posting today?

The sight of Labour supporters shouting "what about the Tory36" at Kuennesberg et al, with its own hashtag, is as revolting as the right-wingers complaining that Damien Green should be free to ask women 30 years his junior out for a drink.

Abi Wilkinson has, as you say, behaved beyond reproach. Sam Kriss is strangely silent (that was only last week for heaven's sake).

I will concede that this board is not the worst for attempting to make the abuse of women all about the Tories. You can go to another one, where no dissent ever occurs, and it is grim reading over the last few days.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 12.27.50.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 12.27.50.png (88.34 KiB) Viewed 15434 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nadine Dorries

@NadineDorries

There is a cultural problem in Westminster. It’s complex. MPs who work late sharing restaurants /bars with young researchers who don’t.
8:24 AM - Nov 1, 2017 (Politics Live, Guardian)
What?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

This is very good

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... parliament" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A grim symptom of the pathetic politics as sport attitude.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:This is very good

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... parliament" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A grim symptom of the pathetic politics as sport attitude.
God forbid eh?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I do, genuinely, like the moderation by Paul here. What is allowed, and what is not, and by whom, is entertaining.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I will add Matt Zarb-Cousin to the "exemplary" list.

And the point is that these people are leading by example on this.

Some of those whose instinctive response was to chuck silly abuse at LK might actually reconsider after reading what they have to say.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:I do, genuinely, like the moderation by Paul here. What is allowed, and what is not, and by whom, is entertaining.

He is site admin so I make the assumption (along with Refitman) that we should pay them the courtesy of listening to them - and they do have a role of moderation

I find your post consistently pathetic and lacking in any interesting information as well. The content also suggests your previous claims on occupation and academic standing to be economical with the actualité!

As to what other places discuss then I would suggest that your portrayal is consistent with your lack of interest in the truth

A lot of comments are on the lack of consistency in the press and the demonstrably appalling behaviour of certain BBC commentators who seem to be treating the whole thing as a bit of a joke

Labour have acted quickly and substantially to the accusations of this rape and I hope that any officials or MPs are denounced and thrown out.

Labour have also been pretty quick in withdrawing the whip from any MPs accused of the types of abuse when compared with the Tories - I think this is a fair comparison to make, especially when the oligarch press (supported by certain lickspittles in BBC News) have been lacking in their analysis
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Can't find anything in the media yet, but this tweet seems to come from a reliable source:
Jim Pickard‏
@PickardJE

More
Electoral Commission has opened investigation into "Better for the Country Limited (BFTCL) and/or Mr Arron Banks" re EU referendum donations
11:11 AM - 1 Nov 2017
Plus this from a couple of days ago:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexit ... commission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A charity set up by Arron Banks, the biggest financial backer of Brexit, is being investigated by the Charity Commission, according to documents seen by our friends over at The Ferret.

Banks is also winding the charity up, The Ferret has revealed today.
Plus this, of course:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-spending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A campaign group has filed a lawsuit against the U.K. Electoral Commission for allowing overspending by Vote Leave in the run up to the Brexit referendum.

The case is regarding a 625,000-pound ($820,000) donation apparently made by Vote Leave to one of its “outreach groups” in the days before the vote. If the amount was included in the spending return, Vote Leave would have overspent by almost 10 percent, resulting in a criminal offense, said Jo Maugham, a tax attorney and founder and director of the Good Law Project.
Not to mention this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben Bradshaw raises concerns over ‘foreign interference’ and says there are questions over wealth of leave campaign’s biggest backer
Although Damien Green appears to be a right creep and Stephen Crabb definitely needs keeping an eye on, given the source of the Tory sexual harassment list I find it hard to believe anything truly damaging to the Tories is any more likely to come out now than at any other time. Which is not to say there isn't a problem with sexual harassment and predatory behaviour in politics and attempts to create a more robust reporting structure for parliamentary employees is very welcome, but until any of it becomes anything more than gossip, it's hard not to wonder if women are once again being shown a lack of respect via this very serious issue being cynically whipped up and manipulated to create a distraction from accusations of cheating and Russian interference in the leave campaign. Someone making an open and direct accusation like Bex Bailey is one thing, and seems part of a new need among women to get stuff out there post-Weinstein and fair play. The Guido Fawkes stuff though..... it's not coming from the women (or men) who were on the receiving end of the inappropriate behaviour as far as I can tell. Have they been considered at all in the publication of this list?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re the above reference to Sam Kriss - he seems to have zapped his Twitter account. Maybe not surprisingly.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Cars and trucks used for killing people
Easier to get a hold of a vehicle than a gun
Eight people killed in New York 'act of terror' after truck drives on to bike path
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -manhattan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I step away from news a day and a half and I don't recognise what's going on looking at it now
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Willow904
Special thanks for your last post here
I understand better now
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:I do, genuinely, like the moderation by Paul here. What is allowed, and what is not, and by whom, is entertaining.
I'm not a moderator.

This place works because we set our own ground rules. The Admin here try and sense what those are and apply them. You knew that to be a provocative comment when you posted it, so why do it? It's been pointed out before that it's upsetting to other posters here, not in a political discussion sort of way, but in a more personal, emotional, well-being sort of way.

If you want I'll resign as Admin. But if the others do the same the Forum is gone, which may be your aim of course.

Now PLEASE leave it and keep the discussion to politics rather than fellow posters.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:@Willow904
I understand better now
There was a remarkable article at the weekend (in the Groan I think and possibly linked here - I was away) that linked up Russia, Farage, Banks, Trump and Assange I think in a conspiracy theory that is so incredible it's probably true!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Farage is a 'person of interest' to Mueller, I saw somewhere last night, may or may not have been true but I wouldn't be surprised. What was it he was doing at the Ecuadorian Embassy again?

Bring it on.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Nadine Dorries

@NadineDorries

There is a cultural problem in Westminster. It’s complex. MPs who work late sharing restaurants /bars with young researchers who don’t.
8:24 AM - Nov 1, 2017 (Politics Live, Guardian)
What?
Who the hell knows
I can't get a straight answer
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

If she hadn't been one of those screaming their lungs out over Lewis/O'Mara, I might be prepared to cut her a bit more slack there.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
citizenJA wrote:@Willow904
I understand better now
There was a remarkable article at the weekend (in the Groan I think and possibly linked here - I was away) that linked up Russia, Farage, Banks, Trump and Assange I think in a conspiracy theory that is so incredible it's probably true!
Carole Cadwalladr is the one to follow on this

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/with_replies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the G article (I think) you refer to

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... y-alliance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

SpinningHugo wrote:
I will concede that this board is not the worst for attempting to make the abuse of women all about the Tories. You can go to another one, where no dissent ever occurs, and it is grim reading over the last few days.
You poor little dab, Huge-ego.

Maybe, to avoid further emotional trauma, you should avoid haunting other people's blogs.

It never seems to do you any good.

To fill in all that spare time, try this - https://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Being-an-Internet-Troll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Point 6 may be of help.

Love and peace, Ephie.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Why are privatised probation services using public libraries to see clients"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Ben Bradshaw just asked Theresa May if we are cooperating fully with Mueller's investigation. He got a predictably bland reply, but it was a point worth making - some of the elements being investigated over the pond, happened here in the UK. Pressure needs to kept up on the government to ask the appropriate questions. The suggestion that Russia could not possibly have had influence over here given the mounting questions and evidence in the US is no longer tenable.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some of my best friends are ghosts.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Or maybe I'm one and they are living.Hard to tell,sometimes.Didn't manage the going through walls thing,even with a running jump though,if that is an indication.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I am perturbed about the spin being placed on the sexual abuse/harrassment within Parliament

One thing we should remember from previous examples is middle-aged men in positions of power and influence have been commonly known to behave inappropriately and having their indiscretions being covered up with the collusion of the press and the establishment.

I would find it surprising if the bubble of Westminster was immune to this inappropriate use of power (and much of this is about a demonstration of power of one individual and another) and also be equally surprised if all these protestations of how everything will be shared with the police was completely true. Behaviour those of us who manage people or have positions of influence in companies is closely managed and any impropriety is dealt with strongly - following laws set by MPs in many cases

I listened to Humphreys over the last couple of days and am now sure that this is being swept under the carpet and I agree with Willow it will have little further impact - although the behaviour of people like Crabb and others should remove them from having any influence on our laws - and in this I will say Labour have been much more inclined to withdraw the whip from MPs and in some cases subsequently deselect them than the Tories (Danczuk, O'Mara, Joyce in recent memory)

I am partisan in this because I see the Tories manage to get away with things that they shouldn't and he media seems to be keen to abet them - anti-semitism, misogynism or any other source of -ism based on flimsy evidence
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A reiteration of gratitude for those that make this even possible,I think is in order.Of course I am sponsored to say that at regular intervals,but was in danger of losing the deal.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:---
Carole Cadwalladr is the one to follow on this

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/with_replies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the G article (I think) you refer to

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... y-alliance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many thanks! :heart:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Martin Kettle, please retire (and take the likes of Humphrys and Dimbleby with you)
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Are there actually *any* respectable right-wing news outlets left?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps it's just atavism, now they've been exposed to such an intoxicating whiff of the 1930s.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
I'm not a moderator.

This place works because we set our own ground rules. The Admin here try and sense what those are and apply them. You knew that to be a provocative comment when you posted it, so why do it? It's been pointed out before that it's upsetting to other posters here, not in a political discussion sort of way, but in a more personal, emotional, well-being sort of way.

If you want I'll resign as Admin. But if the others do the same the Forum is gone, which may be your aim of course.

Now PLEASE leave it and keep the discussion to politics rather than fellow posters.
I see. And so calling another poster a cunt or a twat or a troll isn't provocative?

TBH, I think I'm not the main culprit when it comes to straying off politics.

But, as I say, I enjoy the moderation.