Friday 3rd November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Friday 3rd November 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

UK social landlords’ £60bn debts to move off the government balance sheet

https://amp.ft.com/content/f3271ac7-743 ... 52f59aafee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The UK’s statistics authority is set to reclassify the country’s social landlords as private, rather than public, bodies, in a move which will shift more than £60bn of borrowings off the public balance sheet.

Housing associations are private, not-for-profit landlords which can borrow from banks and bond markets to finance their activities. They house one in 10 UK households.

The Office for National Statistics classified housing associations as public bodies in 2015, citing as its rationale the degree of public sector regulation to which they were subject. At the time the government said it intended to legislate in order to reverse that change “as quickly as possible”.

The Treasury considered undertaking radical steps to shed the debt, including selling the accumulated £40bn of public grant funding on housing associations’ books to private investors. Instead it took a more low-key approach, amending the sector’s regulatory regime to scale back Whitehall control.

In a letter written in August but which was only published yesterday, the ONS notified the Treasury that, as a result, it intends to reclassify housing associations as private, non-financial corporations once the new regulations have been implemented.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 3rd November 2017

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41853561" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Priti Patel held undisclosed meetings in Israel
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.local.gov.uk/about/news/loc ... s-councils" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Local Housing Allowance freeze risks 'increasing' homelessness for private renters, councils warn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -coalition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Iceland's president asks opposition Left-Greens to form coalition
President takes unusual step of asking leader of second largest party to form coalition following Saturday’s snap general election
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... d-welcomed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government delay to NICs changes for self-employed welcomed
Abolition of class 2 contributions would leave lowest-paid to choose between five-fold NI increase or forfeiting state pension
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... lise-women" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Child benefit rules in Northern Ireland may criminalise women
Lawyers confirm that women seeking exemption from two-child limit due to rape, may risk legal action if they did not report sex crime to police
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No doubt bloody obviously consequentially unintended.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Constance reading the FT.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Squinting a bit,has she had her eyes tested lately?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Though having a bandage on her head can't be helping.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Roger is the treatment going o.k/according to plan.If you don't mind me being a nosey git asking?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PF yes if you use a straw it still "counts'.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Clegg on sex scandals

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/nick-clegg- ... andal/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fails to mention Lord Rennard.

No doubt the same will happen again when another Tory is accused, and the Labour partisans will forget the beam that is in their own eye.

"My side is better because we have fewer rapists."

Revolting.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Constance reading the FT.
It's the "Feline Times".
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

HindleA wrote:@Roger is the treatment going o.k/according to plan.If you don't mind me being a nosey git asking?
Only one chemo treatment so far and she seems to be fine. Maybe a little more tired but otherwise no side effects. And still has hair...

No, of course I don't mind you asking - thanks for your concern.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cheers.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

SpinningHugo wrote:Clegg on sex scandals

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/nick-clegg- ... andal/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No doubt the same will happen again when another Tory is accused, and the Labour partisans will forget the beam that is in their own eye.

Revolting.
It that's what's said, then yes, fairly revolting.
The partisanship's quite natural, though,
Supporting a party your'e likely to believe that it's morals/ideals are superior to the opposition's, and that it's MPs motivation & behaviour should be better.
It's more a belief that "my side is better so will have fewer rapists", though there's then a tendency to resist any evidence to the contrary.

(I particularly liked Clegg's "Poor leadership of the two main parties. ")
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@tinybgoat

This, from the Nick Clegg piece -
Grave offences get mixed up with lesser misdemeanours. There is a difference between claiming huge amounts of money for phantom mortgages and using your expenses to pay for a five-star duck house.
Strange values.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

On the conflation of grave offences and lesser misdemeanours, I read that consensual affairs and sexual harassment of employees are all the same to a tory Whip, all grist to the mill. Hence some of the odd juxtapositions on that tory spreadsheet.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Now imagining the information/news that would be of interest to a cat.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Now imagining the information/news that would be of interest to a cat.
Well, the "tablecloth defence" for starters. It's enough to make a cat laugh.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

To be fair it is very hard to distinguish between a hand and a tablecloth.Similarly,I often get my left foot and a double decker bus mixed up,
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Cat friendly induction cookers"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Oboes for sale"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:To be fair it is very hard to distinguish between a hand and a tablecloth.Similarly,I often get my left foot and a double decker bus mixed up,
Easily done.

I have no opinion one way or another (given the information available) on Damian Green's guilt, or otherwise. But for his friends and well-wishers to come up with that one . . .

And do they have tablecloths in bars? I've obviously never mixed in the right circles . . .
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good morning

I think this is about the 4th day that Hugo has essentially posted the same thing....

Of course I am partisan, as tinyb says, and that colours my view on things I admit

I also admit to finding the Tories current travails amusing, especially after hearing them ponificate about Labour so much in the recent past but this is not the story

This is all intranecine warfare amongst the Tories - does anyone bleive really they are significantly worse than other parties - probably not, but then again we can ask the same question of Labour and anti-semitism. A bandwagon Hugo was only too happy to jump on at the time!

To be fair on this subject Labour have not really criticised the Government (apart from some of the procedural and duty of care aspects where may has again been weak) and has dealt relatively swiftly with the cases arising within the party.

It is a game that no one wins and makes all politicians look bad and also shows the incestuous relationships between the press and the politicos in their bubble - the culture seems poisonous from where i stand

So, Hugo - just stop with all this sanctimonious shite and post Something interesting for a change with a considered comment showing us all your (self-proclaimed) huge intellect

Finally, Clegg is an arse
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

tinybgoat wrote: (I particularly liked Clegg's "Poor leadership of the two main parties. ")
He really hasn't improved in the self awareness stakes :P
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Clegg(alternative spelling):A large swift fly the female of which sucks blood of various animals
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/voluntary-s ... stitutions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Millions of children are locked away in orphanages – this must stop
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:
HindleA wrote:To be fair it is very hard to distinguish between a hand and a tablecloth.Similarly,I often get my left foot and a double decker bus mixed up,
Easily done.

I have no opinion one way or another (given the information available) on Damian Green's guilt, or otherwise. But for his friends and well-wishers to come up with that one . . .

And do they have tablecloths in bars? I've obviously never mixed in the right circles . . .
this may help:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/londone ... 75656.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alternatively, maybe she was wearing a skirt, which he mistook for a tablecloth? it all sounds very muddled.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:On the conflation of grave offences and lesser misdemeanours, I read that consensual affairs and sexual harassment of employees are all the same to a tory Whip, all grist to the mill. Hence some of the odd juxtapositions on that tory spreadsheet.
Yes, exactly.

Now there are rumours that another "list" of Tory MPs is circulating which concentrates on the more serious stuff.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-simo ... 75968.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will The UK Establishment Finally Stop Denying The Reality Of ME?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Why isn't the muting function working? Anyone know?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

tinybgoat wrote:

Revolting.
Supporting a party your'e likely to believe that it's morals/ideals are superior to the opposition's, and that it's MPs motivation & behaviour should be better.
It's more a belief that "my side is better so will have fewer rapists", though there's then a tendency to resist any evidence to the contrary.

I think that mindset is exactly what needs to be resisted. The expenses scandal surely taught us that the idea that the left is made up of virtuous goodies, while the right is made up of crooks and rapists, is just flat wrong. Another board is ten times worse for this, but this board has elements of it. Clegg can't even see how his criticisms apply to himself!

I loathe it. Otherwise sensible people (AK, an intelligent and sensible man) are so committed to one side that they can't see how awful it looks.

We should be partisan for the policies we believe in. Not parties as football teams.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Easily done.

this may help:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/londone ... 75656.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alternatively, maybe she was wearing a skirt, which he mistook for a tablecloth? it all sounds very muddled.
They seem to have nicked my post(s) . . .
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 03 Nov, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

How many straw men in Hugo’s last post?

Who has ever claimed all those on the left are virtuous whilst all those on the right are evil?

It is a pathetic suggestion and one that shows the mindset of the poster

The character of politicians is of relevance and if some of them have behaved in ways that would get you disciplined in most workplaces now then we should know. It is also a fact that most of the problems come from within the Tories themselves

You were the first to froth about Labour anti-semitism when it supported your view and to make all kinds of accusations

Why have you not commented on Harman? Is she an anti Semite? Personally I don’t think she is but was extremely stupid to make that comment - should she have the whip withdrawn?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

What is this about the blessed (or otherwise) Harriet??
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinybgoat wrote: this may help:
Did you read to the end of that? There's a pic of David Miliband with Meryl Streep, 'something he can thank his brother for'. :D
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:What is this about the blessed (or otherwise) Harriet??
https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tv ... 75726.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Politics is a battle of ideas and, as with all battles, there has to be a case where leverage is used to get yourself in front so you can have the chance to implement the policies you believe in

If the Tories have shot themselves in the foot by having these internal problems then of course it should be used to show the public they are not fit for Government and if, at the same time, May cannot do anything about it because she is so politically weak then that should be mentioned as well

I can also fairly ask why Fallon has resigned (this is not at all clear) and why Garnier is still a Minister and Crabb still under the whip (so to speak?) - all fair questions

The Tories, and you, have made similar comments in the past about Corbyn and the Labour Party

It is partisan in the respect that I would exploit the difficulties the Tories are facing, and I would expect them to do the same if it was Labour - it isn't pretty but to try to pretend it is all about arguments over the technical details of policy is naïve to the extent of demonstrating intellectual capability tending towards the lower boundary!

I also know Labour and the left has its rogues and crooks - Danczuk and Eric Joyce spring to mind but the list will be longer including Dennis McShane and the LD are no better than the rest. All political parties attract ne'erdowells and we just have to accept that and deal with them as they arise. And expect the other parties to exploit it

I don't think anyone on here has claimed otherwise
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Here you go on Harriet

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11 ... -bbc-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jess Phillips and Hugo not mentioned it yet....funny that isn't it?

edited: sorry Gilsey
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Hmmm, there is a way of doing that sort of thing - I'm not sure if HH managed it ideally though! And even implying that Neil would somehow approve was not wise.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 75691.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Uproar as MPs say Andrea Leadsom ‘warm your hands up’ leak came from top Tories"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

SpinningHugo wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:

Revolting.

I think that mindset is exactly what needs to be resisted. The expenses scandal surely taught us that the idea that the left is made up of virtuous goodies, while the right is made up of crooks and rapists, is just flat wrong. Another board is ten times worse for this, but this board has elements of it. Clegg can't even see how his criticisms apply to himself!

I loathe it. Otherwise sensible people (AK, an intelligent and sensible man) are so committed to one side that they can't see how awful it looks.

We should be partisan for the policies we believe in. Not parties as football teams.
Another board is ten times worse for this, but this board has elements of it.
Bloody splitters, trying out partisan us now are they?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Hmmm, there is a way of doing that sort of thing - I'm not sure if HH managed it ideally though! And even implying that Neil would somehow approve was not wise.
Is there a way of doing it? Lesson from HH is, best not to try.

The MSM could talk about Priti Patel instead, but probably won't.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

In case anyone's missed the PP story
Priti Patel held undisclosed meetings in Israel
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41853561" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit - A posted it earlier, but worth a repeat I think.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/data/ ... s-borough/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Low-paid residents by borough
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.p ... issue=1456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PIP Appeals:The Cruel.Truth

(Eye)
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 03 Nov, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Have a look at what Lord Nash's trust will allow people to see of their minutes which are, incidentally, public documents.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One rule for one etc.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.