Monday 6th November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 6th November 2017

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
GetYou wrote:Priti big slapdown there. They have stated that she was lying about the Boris part.

[edit: clarification]
Extremely misleading on her part.

Boris knew about it obv implies that he had prior knowledge, not that she told him afterwards!
Good spot, Sir.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AngryAsWell wrote:Jonathan Lis‏
@jonlis1
Following Following @jonlis1
More
Back from meetings in Brussels. There's good news and bad news. First, the bad news. Because it's... extremely bad. 1/

Thread - couldn't see any "good news" :(

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The good news was, UK can extend A50 period or revoke entirely.
A long way down the thread.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I just picked up on this courtesy of a poster over at the Guardian -
James Landale‏Verified account @BBCJLandale

Extraordinary: @theresa_may met @Netanyahu at No10 last week without knowing @patel4witham had seen him secretly in August
9:36 am - 6 Nov 2017
Talk about looking like a total fool.

Edited - to add a "J"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Have I got this right? Patel is saying she was alone in all these meetings, nobody even there to take notes?

Anybody thinking there could be a Werrity we aren't hearing about?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Any backlash over the Quing\Jeremy Corbyn palaver seems to be directed at the Quing. ("Voxpop" thingy on Sky TV News)
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
frog222 wrote:Queen invested millions in offshore tax havens

The Times today . Accusatory ? (if that's English !)
It's true, and she shouldn't have done. But that doesn't mean she didn't pay full UK tax when the income was brought onshore.
Just a thought but as the Queen volunteered to pay tax on her personal income, afaik she isn't obliged to pay any. Can she be accused of 'avoidance' if she reduces the amount paid?

There may be a moral question as to where she invests (Brighthouse?)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

It's true, and she shouldn't have done. But that doesn't mean she didn't pay full UK tax when the income was brought onshore.
Just a thought but as the Queen volunteered to pay tax on her personal income, afaik she isn't obliged to pay any. Can she be accused of 'avoidance' if she reduces the amount paid?

Isn't there a moral question that she only pays tax voluntarily and is not obliged to like the rest of us?

Should we be thankful that she is so kind that she decides to pay tax, whilst also remembering that it started in 1993 after she spent 1992 whinging how bad everything was and expecting the taxpayer to pay for a her house (not that this assumption has changed much)?

If she reduces the amount paid by using off-shore tax havens it is not illegal but let us know what the facts are and we can draw our own conclusions.....the DWP insists of full disclosure of financial assets etc for all other recipients of welfare so why not the biggest recipient of all?

The monarchy is an anachronism and the more we know about it the more likely we are to actually move into the 21st (or perhaps even the 19th) Century

All this pomp, ceremony and patronage hides a cesspit of vile behaviour with little or no scrutiny of what goes on........the Crown in Parliament.......what a load of old shite
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]Eobuu-IexvI[/youtube]
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

vive la révolution!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I'm with you on Brighthouse.

I think the Queen would have been compelled otherwise, and volunteering was understood in the light of that. So avpiding would normally be understood as avoiding, but it isn't formalized.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

So - you've been to hill and back?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

howsillyofme1 wrote: Isn't there a moral question that she only pays tax voluntarily and is not obliged to like the rest of us?

Should we be thankful that she is so kind that she decides to pay tax, whilst also remembering that it started in 1993 after she spent 1992 whinging how bad everything was and expecting the taxpayer to pay for a her house (not that this assumption has changed much)?

If she reduces the amount paid by using off-shore tax havens it is not illegal but let us know what the facts are and we can draw our own conclusions.....the DWP insists of full disclosure of financial assets etc for all other recipients of welfare so why not the biggest recipient of all?

The monarchy is an anachronism and the more we know about it the more likely we are to actually move into the 21st (or perhaps even the 19th) Century

All this pomp, ceremony and patronage hides a cesspit of vile behaviour with little or no scrutiny of what goes on........the Crown in Parliament.......what a load of old shite
I don't disagree with any of that - and personally, I wouldn't be bothered if the monarchy was wound up tomorrow!

The point I was trying to make is that nobody - HMRC or the courts - can force her to pay (afaik).
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I don't know if Roger is around- and anybody else, feel free to comment. But Sam Gymiah, as evidence of this anti-avoidance master strategy said this.
" We’ve stopped companies being able to convert their capital losses into trading losses"
Given that losing money on capital transactions is a bad thing, I don't think that it counts as an avoidance strategy, does it? It's like saying "firms are avoiding tax by not selling stuff at a profit".

Sure, it's a technical change that effectively raises the tax take from corporations- the sort of thing that used to be called a "stealth tax" under Gordo, and be a very bad thing. But compare that with all the unneeded cuts to the headline corporation tax rate.

Not so impressive, is it?
Just to put this on the new page, for consideration by the more knowledgeable !

My accountancy is nearly fifty years old, and wasn't mastery then ...

but surely it all depends what you mean by "capital losses" ... ?

I wonder of it is related to stockmarket value ?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote: I'm with you on Brighthouse.

I think the Queen would have been compelled otherwise, and volunteering was understood in the light of that. So avpiding would normally be understood as avoiding, but it isn't formalized.
Trouble is, the Queen can't be compelled to do anything (unless she causes some sort of constitutional crisis and is kicked out).
When I joined the Civil Service (many moons ago) it was explained to me that I would be an employee of the Crown and as such had no employment rights - at least in theory - as the Crown could not be taken to its own courts.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]wp43OdtAAkM[/youtube]
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Reminder that BBC News at 6pm Friday completely ignored Priti Patel, in favour of leading with Kelvin Hopkins, doorstepping Corbyn, and such important news as Harry Winks being picked for a friendly in a week's time (three-minute feature item).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... i-briskman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woman who gave Trump the middle finger fired from her job

"Virginia, however, has “at will” employment laws, meaning private-sector employers can fire people for any reason."
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:@citizenJA

So - you've been to hill and back?
Oh very good!
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017- ... -paradise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit could threaten the future of Death in Paradise warns show’s creator
If the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal, the logistics of filming in Guadeloupe may just be too difficult says Robert Thorogood
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.nawra.org.uk/index.php/lette ... gislation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Letter to Secretary of State for Work and Pensions on major problems within the operation of universal credit – failure by DWP to act within the legislation
NAWRA has written to David Gauke MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions to highlight three major problems within universal credit. These are not policy issues but operational issues where the legislative processes within universal credit are not being correctly followed and are causing extreme hardship.

claimants naturally migrating from Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
waiting days incorrectly applied
failure to allow a third party to submit a DS1500 (confirmation of terminal illness

(National Association of Welfare Rights Advisors)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017- ... -paradise/
If the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal, the logistics of filming in Guadeloupe may just be too difficult says Robert Thorogood
That's more likely to put a lot of the "will of the people" people off "Brexit" than m\any other arguments.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ssessments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speaker gives government until Tuesday to publish Brexit assessments
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017- ... -paradise/
That's more likely to put a lot of the "will of the people" people off "Brexit" than m\any other arguments.
If it was the Great British bake/cook/sew/garden makeover/house purchase/ off it would be in the bag. Or out of it, depending on how you define 'it'.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Italian vermouth.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:http://www.nawra.org.uk/index.php/lette ... gislation/

Letter to Secretary of State for Work and Pensions on major problems within the operation of universal credit – failure by DWP to act within the legislation
NAWRA has written to David Gauke MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions to highlight three major problems within universal credit. These are not policy issues but operational issues where the legislative processes within universal credit are not being correctly followed and are causing extreme hardship.

claimants naturally migrating from Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
waiting days incorrectly applied
failure to allow a third party to submit a DS1500 (confirmation of terminal illness

(National Association of Welfare Rights Advisors)
There are protections for people in various categories transferring to UC from other benefits, but the UC claim process doesn't collect the information that would allow the protections to take effect, if I'm reading that correctly.
It's even more of a shambles than I thought, and that's saying something.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I know someone in the pilot area transferring to UC from ESA,saying he owes a debt that he cannot possibly owe and they don't know why.Shambles,indeed.According to statxplore as of June 12,000.ie they have barely started with with more than a couple of adding ups,a child of seven with an average ability in numeracy and a pencil and paper could work out in five minutes.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:Italian vermouth.
:shock:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ssessments

Speaker gives government until Tuesday to publish Brexit assessments
Or, if they don't, he'll want to know the reason why seems to be about as tough as he can get, though.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Italian vermouth.
Gin and "It"?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Mel Stride, the financial secretary to the Treasury, said there were many “legitimate reasons” for using offshore trusts. After being asked an urgent question by Labour on the Paradise Papers he accused the opposition of creating an inaccurate picture of all people using such trusts as being “eye-wateringly rich” or tax dodgers.
Can't see what's inaccurate about it, myself.

The only legitimacy I can see is that presumably they fall within the letter of the law, which is an ass.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@pf

As if you didn't know.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Of course the" simplest "cases for calculation purposes are not necessarilly so in circumstantial.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Colleges ditch A levels amid funding pressures

German, accounting, dance and music among the A-level subjects being axed by cash-strapped colleges, an Association of Colleges survey reveals

https://www.tes.com/news/further-educat ... -pressures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PF on a barrel change.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Given where the oboe is now positioned,I take it Constance didn't pass her audition.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It still plays occasionally.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... go-on-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lenin the cat lover: rare photos of Soviet leader go on show in Oxford
Exhibition coinciding with centenary of October revolution includes image of revolutionary in wig and makeup, and stroking a cat
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Kevin Maguire‏Verified account
@Kevin_Maguire
Following Following @Kevin_Maguire
More Kevin Maguire Retweeted Kevin Maguire
No 10 now says: "Neither the PM to Mr May have DIRECT(my emphasis) offshore investments."

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Given where the oboe is now positioned,I take it Constance didn't pass her audition.
Clarence? She's not a cross-eyed lion, you know. (She's just stalked out of the room looking very aggrieved. Don't blame her.)

Anyway, she's resting up for Thursday's Albinoni recital.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm sure that said Clarence originally - or am I losing my mind?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ha,I changed it,not quickly enough for your eyes,but just in the nick of time before you quoted it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

See above.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]s4hOH4YMPoE[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -condition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled people worry about telling employers of their condition

Others reported that they had been regularly sneered at and encountered discrimination in the workplace.

A factor not mentioned enough,is indeed the attitude of other workers IMHO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -condition

Disabled people worry about telling employers of their condition

Others reported that they had been regularly sneered at and encountered discrimination in the workplace.

A factor not mentioned enough,is indeed the attitude of other workers IMHO.
This article was amended on 6 November 2017 to remove a reference that was inconsistent with Guardian style.
I think I'll adapt that for my own future use . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Just seen this. Brave "post-liberal" journalist tells it how it is.
David Goodhart‏
@David_Goodhart
Harrassment story bringing out worst in BBC: unhistorical, one-sided, obsessive, metropolitan, see today @bbc world this weekend
As others have said, nobody cares about sexual harassment outside Central London.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

WTF
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

This was the Standard, wonder if the editor actually reads all the articles. It's from a few days ago, apologies if we had it already.
London children 'relying on charities to avoid starving', campaigners warn as child poverty set to hit new record
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/lond ... 74626.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Neither new tax allowances nor the so-called national living wage have offset the deeply damaging freezes in benefits for working and non-working families and the deep cuts to tax credits and universal credit.
Love the last line.
The Standard has contacted the Government for comment.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

School leaders pessimistic on school funding – despite new money from government

Almost half of school leaders think the quality of education in England will decline during the next four years
Nine in 10 school leaders expect their school’s finances to get worse over the next two years, despite new funding announced by the government.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... -new-money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;