Tuesday 7th November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 7th November 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 7th November 2017

Post by frog222 »

Morning all

Texit’ twitterers and ‘Heart of Texas’ Facebook group of White Supremacists organised a demo, some with AR15′s against a Muslim library in Houston .

‘American Muslims Unite’ opposed them .

The origins of all three groups, Bot Centre Moscow !

( That’s how I remembered it from around 4am on the WorldService yesterday morning.)

How the Russians pretended to be Texans — and Texans believed them

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dem ... eved-them/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“”By the summer of 2016, other themes began to emerge. Posts began to follow a perceptibly hard-right course, stressing Texas’s status as a “Christian state,” or touting the Second Amendment as a “symbol of freedom … so we would forever be free from any tyranny.” Some of the page’s contributors talked about the need to “keep Texas Texan,” whatever that meant.

There was also a generous dollop of conspiracy theory. There were posts about the allegedly unnatural death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and the supposed federal invasion orders behind the Jade Helm military exercise. Fake Founding Father quotes mingled with anti-Muslim screeds and paeans to Sam Houston.

And the number of followers steadily crept into the hundreds of thousands.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PM plans new ministerial code after Priti Patel apology (BBC News website)
That's some catalogue of transgressions. But it's all ok because Liam Fox says this is the sort of thing he does all the time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41896756
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/06/cambr ... he-future/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Cambridge Analytica CEO talks to TechCrunch about Trump, Hillary and the future"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Seems as if Theresa May has cancelled Tuesday (Politics Live, Guardian).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... oms-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New legislation to prepare UK for future trade and customs policy
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 07 Nov, 2017 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:Seems as if Theresa May has cancelled Tuesday (Politics Live, Guardian).
Probably just as well - if you're not doing anything, then you're not doing anything wrong...

Morning all...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... ction-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open consultation
Draft transport accessibility action plan

(Consultation time extended)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Wasn't Tuesday the day when those sector analysis assessments were due to be released otherwise Govt would be in contempt?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who'd have thunk it eh?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Seems as if Theresa May has cancelled Tuesday (Politics Live, Guardian).
Probably just as well - if you're not doing anything, then you're not doing anything wrong...

Morning all...
Sorting out seating arrangements would have been a logistical nightmare.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... -spies/amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harvey Weinstein’s Army of Spies

The film executive hired private investigators, including ex-Mossad agents, to track actresses and journalists.

Ronan FarrowNovember 6, 2017 6:31 PM
Remarkable article.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

May re-writing the ministerial code rather than sacking Patel, while Fox makes excuses for Johnson.

This government is preposterous. Yet still I have the sense that there is more public outrage about Aston being voted off Strictly Come Dancing.

In unrelated news, tonight I'm off to see a documentary and Q&A about Brass Eye...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Anna Soubry openly calling for BJ to be sacked.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Wasn't Tuesday the day when those sector analysis assessments were due to be released otherwise Govt would be in contempt?

Who'd have thunk it eh?
Yes. I'm hearing that they need "work" as they're not yet in proper report form. I thought they already were reports. What are they, then? Random doodles on scraps of paper and on the corners of, ahem, tablecloths? Then there's all that vital redaction to be done.

Edited - to tidy up
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Wasn't Tuesday the day when those sector analysis assessments were due to be released otherwise Govt would be in contempt?

Who'd have thunk it eh?
Yes. I'm hearing that they need "work" as they're not yet in proper report form. I thought they already were reports. What are they, then? Random doodles on scraps of paper and on the corners of, ahem, tablecloths? Then there's all that vital redaction to be done.

Edited - to tidy up
According to @davidallengreen, 58 pieces of paper on a table in Whitehall with the sector titles on, otherwise blank.
Running joke.
Last edited by gilsey on Tue 07 Nov, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

More on the elephant in the room.
https://www.irishlegal.com/9221/barrist ... ompatible/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The heads of the barrister profession on both sides of the Irish border have warned that Brexit is not compatible with the Good Friday Agreement.

Paul McGarry SC, chairman of The Bar of Ireland, and Liam McCollum QC, chairman of The Bar of Northern Ireland, made the remarks at the Annual Bar Conference in London, The Brief reports.

The pair were speaking alongside four other UK legal figures in a panel discussion examining “Brexit and the Bar”.

Mr McGarry told conference delegates that “the Good Friday Agreement and Brexit are incompatible for a number of reasons”.

He said one was the guarantee on free movement in the Good Friday Agreement, which was not compatible with the imposition of a post-Brexit border; another the entitlement of people born in Northern Ireland to Irish citizenship, which would mean a direct route to EU citizenship.

Mr McCollum described it as “an insoluble an issue as you could possibly imagine”, and agreed Brexit would “undermine” the Agreement.

He pointed out that the Agreement could not be amended and would therefore have to be renegotiated.
My bold.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Who'd have thunk it eh?

Edited - to tidy up
According to @davidallengreen, 58 pieces of paper on a table in Whitehall with the sector titles on, otherwise blank.
Running joke.
That does sound a believable level of "work" from DD, tbf. Maybe the only front line pol who beats Alan Johnson in the "congenital laziness" stakes.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

gilsey wrote:More on the elephant in the room.
https://www.irishlegal.com/9221/barrist ... ompatible/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The heads of the barrister profession on both sides of the Irish border have warned that Brexit is not compatible with the Good Friday Agreement.

Paul McGarry SC, chairman of The Bar of Ireland, and Liam McCollum QC, chairman of The Bar of Northern Ireland, made the remarks at the Annual Bar Conference in London, The Brief reports.

The pair were speaking alongside four other UK legal figures in a panel discussion examining “Brexit and the Bar”.

Mr McGarry told conference delegates that “the Good Friday Agreement and Brexit are incompatible for a number of reasons”.

He said one was the guarantee on free movement in the Good Friday Agreement, which was not compatible with the imposition of a post-Brexit border; another the entitlement of people born in Northern Ireland to Irish citizenship, which would mean a direct route to EU citizenship.

Mr McCollum described it as “an insoluble an issue as you could possibly imagine”, and agreed Brexit would “undermine” the Agreement.

He pointed out that the Agreement could not be amended and would therefore have to be renegotiated.
My bold.
If only someone had pointed this out before the Referendum eh?*

:roll:

* edited to add heavy sarcasm
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

People did, nobody cared. As with several other things that have come to pass (or will do)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/comment ... r-on-53078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lower benefit cap is still wrecking lives one year on
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:People did, nobody cared. As with several other things that have come to pass (or will do)
Sorry I should have flagged my sarcasm AK!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/comment ... r-on-53078

The lower benefit cap is still wrecking lives one year on
Remember when Harriet Harman told Labour they had to support that? Good times......
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

This is from Channel 4 News’s Michael Crick.

Michael Crick

@MichaelLCrick

Senior Conservative MP: "Boris is an f****** disgrace & if he had an ounce of integrity - which he doesn't - he'd have walked immediately."
11:36 AM - Nov 7, 2017 (Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/ ... in-israel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Urgent Question on the Secretary of State's meetings in Israel

At about 13.15.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/ ... in-israel/

Urgent Question on the Secretary of State's meetings in Israel

At about 13.15.
:popcorn:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Robert Peston‏Verified account @Peston 12m12 minutes ago
More
It makes perfect sense that cabinet has been cancelled today. There is literally nothing for ministers to discuss
:)
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

PorFavor wrote:
PM plans new ministerial code after Priti Patel apology (BBC News website)
That's some catalogue of transgressions. But it's all ok because Liam Fox says this is the sort of thing he does all the time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41896756
That's an excellent bit of writing there :

'Lack of precision'

Ms Patel, who is a long-standing supporter of Israel and a former vice-chairman of Conservative Friends of Israel, defended her actions.

She said she had paid for the holiday herself and while in Israel had taken the opportunity to meet "people and organisations" for the purpose of building links between the two countries.

She admitted a "lack of precision" for suggesting last week that Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson knew about the trip, and that only two meetings had taken place when she attended 12

I'm desperately trying to insert that into my response when challenged about...well, anything really.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Why is the Foreign Office referring to Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliff as Miss Zaghari-Ratcliffe? I thought she was a "Mrs" or a "Ms". I hope this doesn't further muddy the waters.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

almost 12.30
let's rock
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]tDQgzWVR0nY[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

UQ on Brexit Impact Assessments,now.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Wren-Lewis
The Brexit interest rate increases and misunderstanding inflation
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... s-and.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a very real danger that the Bank may be playing its part in a self-fulfilling low growth recovery.
Exactly.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Seema Malhotra

@SeemaMalhotra1

Written Statement by David Davis just out - apparently “it is not the case that 58 sectoral impact assessments exist”. #brexitshambles
12:26 PM - Nov 7, 2017 (Politics Live, Guardian)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Carl Sergeant, the Welsh cabinet member and AM who resigned his post last week admitting "impropriety", has been found dead. Pretty grim :(

EDIT: it appears he didn't admit to anything, I was likely confusing him with somebody else. Sorry about that.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Tue 07 Nov, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Surely it's time now for an Estelle Morris moment?

Edited to add - the above is not in connection with AnatolyKasparov's post
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Priti Patel is not in the Commons to answer the Urgent Question as she is "on her way to Africa" for a pre-arranged visit.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Urgent question on Priti Patel

Alistair Burt, the international development minister, is now answering an urgent question from Labour about Priti Patel’s trip to Israel. He said he was answering because Patel was in the air, flying to Africa for a visit.

He said that Patel’s meetings were not “particularly secret”, he said.

The matter was now considered closed, he said. (Politics Live, Guardian)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

It is not just pro-Europeans who are demanding swifter publication of the Brexit impact assessments. Interestingly Christopher Chope, Sir Edward Leigh and Peter Bone, who are all hardline Brexiters, all said the government should go further. Chope said that, even if all the material was not ready for publication, some of it could be released now. Leigh said that holding back the information would cause more problems than releasing it. And Bone said that the government should simply hand over all the paperwork to the Brexit committee and let it decide what it publishes.
From AS blog.
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

Mark Steel @mrmarksteel
I sympathise with Priti Patel. When I was 12 our holiday in Bognor was spoilt when we bumped into Menachem Begin and couldn't get rid of him
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 41361.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obamacare: Americans 'race to sign up for affordable healthcare plan' as Donald Trump attempts to axe it
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolic ... s-welfare/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How politicians created, rather than reacted to, negative public opinion on benefits
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Worth reading for a n ex-FCO staff perspective on Priti Patel

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... r-50s-soar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Robert Hutton

.@Number10press confirms that the Prime Minister learned about Priti Patel's plan to give aid money to the Israeli army from the BBC, today.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:#Robert Hutton

.@Number10press confirms that the Prime Minister learned about Priti Patel's plan to give aid money to the Israeli army from the BBC, today.
With any other government that would be astonishing but with this one it just seems normal...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]V6Uo1nNt6LU[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

SSE and npower in talks to create giant UK energy supplier

New business would combine the two electricity and gas companies’ 13 million customers
(Guardian)
This competition lark is working well.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-supplier
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
SSE and npower in talks to create giant UK energy supplier

New business would combine the two electricity and gas companies’ 13 million customers
(Guardian)
This competition lark is working well.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-supplier
I don't think these privatisations were ever meant to provide a better, less expensive product or service for people.
Government and public services - everything created and paid dear for by many - are in the hands of a few. Again.