Thursday 9th November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 9th November 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 9th November 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

European parliament contradicts UK claim on deal on citizens' rights
Letter to both negotiating teams challenges assertion deal ‘within touching distance’ as it warns major issues needs to be addressed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Mordaunt favourite as replacement,apparently.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What do government departments spend their money on?

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... al-budgets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IFG
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning.

Will the BBC never stop it?
Priti Patel quits cabinet over Israel meetings row
There's no "row". She has said she was wrong and has resigned. Again the BBC make it appear as though this is nuanced. :roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... ness-case/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Committee presses for Universal Credit business case

The Work and Pensions Committee publishes two further letters to the Department of Work and Pensions, pressing it on the lack of published data or a current business case for its flagship welfare reform.

Lack of data being published is 'troubling'
Rt Hon Frank Field MP, Chair of the Work and Pensions Committee, said:

"The lack of data being collected and published on Universal Credit is troubling, to put it mildly.

It gives the impression that this mega reform is driven by blind faith rather than evidence of the impact it is having on the lives of the poor.

We hear about the DWP’s "test and learn" approach to improving Universal Credit, but how can it hope to learn if it is not testing its most basic effects?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41901294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How much of your area is built on?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://m.jpost.com/Blogs/A-Mid-East-Jou ... ael-483906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The Commonwealth, A place for Israel?"
and associate membership for USA, apparently.
All seems a bit barking.
edit to add, but the "Royal Commonwealth Society" has opened a branch in Mississippi, so maybe there's something in it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... ssissippi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It probably all makes sense from a Brexiteers point of view.
Will now have coffee, and try to ignore any germinating conspiracy theories.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Thu 09 Nov, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I would think that Patel's resignation has taken the spotlight off Boris Johnson and given him a bit of breathing space.

But as for David Davis - the opposition need to keep plugging away at that for misleading Parliament over the 58 sector analyses. So expect that one to come back after their mini-recess (another one?).
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41923765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"All I know," a source close to the negotiations told me, "is that I don't know the UK as I thought I did."
"Are they so clouded by sex scandals and losing ministers in Westminster that they don't see: Brexit time is running out?
"They want a deal. Fine. Then now's the time to rip off the Band Aid. To admit to the UK public and the Conservative Party: 'We want to leave and it's time to pay'."
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

I would think that Patel's resignation has taken the spotlight off Boris Johnson and given him a bit of breathing space.

But as for David Davis - the opposition need to keep plugging away at that for misleading Parliament over the 58 sector analyses. So expect that one to come back after their mini-recess (another one?).
Yes.

And that's wrong. Johnson is even more deserving of dismissal than Patel, but survives essentially because he's an establishment white male.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charities criticise foster care exclusion from free childcare policy
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Yes.

And that's wrong. Johnson is even more deserving of dismissal than Patel, but survives essentially because he's an establishment white male.
I would have said that it is also because the press can't focus on more than one big political story at a time.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Let’s have that Brexit-promised £350m a week now – the NHS can’t afford to wait
Frances O'Grady
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nhs-budget" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How the NHS is funded is a political choice – one that shows the priorities of a government. Tory cuts to corporation tax cost £8bn a year. Raising the personal tax allowance cost the taxpayer another £5.4bn. Freezing fuel duty costs about £0.72bn a year.
Can't be said often enough.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.local.gov.uk/about/news/lga ... ens-speech" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LGA responds to NHS England Chief Executive Simon Stevens’ speech

"There cannot be a sustainable NHS without a sustainable adult social care system."
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Yes, I agree about David Davis. This Newsthump article is really funny, but it's also really serious. Davis has misled Parliament, either previously or now, over a matter of monumental national importance. He is treating Parliament with contempt and our democracy is in real trouble if Parliament can't hold him to account:

http://newsthump.com/2017/11/08/david-d ... ssessment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Davis nominated for Nobel Prize for Physics following discovery of ‘Schrödinger’s Brexit assessment’
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ing-supply" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Live tables on "affordable"housing supply

5,380 socially rented in England in total last year.
Attachments
DOLugI_X4AA876F.jpg
DOLugI_X4AA876F.jpg (54.16 KiB) Viewed 15320 times
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 09 Nov, 2017 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Yes.

I would have said that it is also because the press can't focus on more than one big political story at a time.
I quite agree Roger.

My point really is then the choice. White, establishment male? Or BME female?

For clarity I'm not weeping any tears for Patel! Nasty pieces of work both of them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.co.uk/ ... ecret.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unethical TV programme: Channel 4 'Secret Life of 4,5 and 6 year olds

Michael Rosen

"the children were treated as if they were fodder for experiments, with no volition, sanctity of the person, no sense of their potential, no sense that an experiment could open up new possibilities, new educational insights. In fact, the educational value of the dinosaur experiment was precisely the opposite: it was educational rubbish from several perspectives at the same time."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://action.labour.org.uk/page/s/make-homes-safe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa May: make all homes safe now
Stagger Lee
Backbencher

Post by Stagger Lee »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: I quite agree Roger.

My point really is then the choice. White, establishment male? Or BME female?

For clarity I'm not weeping any tears for Patel! Nasty pieces of work both of them.
I would have said that , on the basis of these instances alone then , Patel'd offense was worse but Boris has a huge backlog of stuff that would have cost any normal person their job a long time ago.

One thing that really pisses me off the press coverage of this kind of resingationin this kin is the insistence on saying people are losing their jobs. They are still MPs and raking in a nice chunky salary, hefty expenses, platinum pension and Patel will no doubt get a few non exec director jobs to top up her bank balance.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning.

Will the BBC never stop it?
Priti Patel quits cabinet over Israel meetings row
There's no "row". She has said she was wrong and has resigned. Again the BBC make it appear as though this is nuanced. :roll:
Apart from the implicit moral cowardice, its just such lazy tabloid speak.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Experience in International Development counts for nothing, apparently, re the replacement for Priti Patel (she of co-authorship of "Britannia Unchained", which suggested that British workers were lazier than those of other nations). Alistair Burt is seemingly being ruled out as he is a "Remainer".
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 09 Nov, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... 0693ad563d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ian Duncan Smith:
I think we are all Brexiteers now. So the question is to what degree do you want someone in that job to be in support of David Davis and others, and I think therefore the balance on having strong Brexit views is one that in all probability that the prime minister will certainly look for.
So they're all Brexiteers, except with some weighting system, valuing the most extreme views?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Edited above to replace a full stop with a comma.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the Penny Mordaunt biog on Wiki:
In a May 2016 BBC Television interview during the run-up to the EU membership referendum, Mourdant denied that the UK had a veto on Turkey joining the EU, despite Article 49 of the EU constitution requiring a unanimous vote of all 28 members of the General Council to allowing accession of a candidate state, thus creating a power of veto by a dissenting member nation.[28] She supported the leave, or Brexit option in the campaign.[29] Prime Minister David Cameron stated her opinion was "completely wrong"[30] and Guy Verhofstadt called her statement "contemptible".[31]
Should be a shoe-in for the Development Minister job, I reckon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

And the winner is -

Penny Mordaunt.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

It wasn't exactly a difficult one to call, was it, given the emphasis on needing the "right" Brexit credentials :D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

No real surprise. She also has an "interesting" history, mind.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Oh FUCK OFF you worthless degenerate.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

He wants to be OUR Trump.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... gery-up-40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

My favourite person on Twitter is currently running the #WorstToryMPWorldCup. It's at the quarter-final stage (read previous rounds and system to see how IDS somehow got knocked out)...

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com ... think.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TORIES' AUSTERITY DOUBLETHINK
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1673042 ... ce-2010-is" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
Chronic underfunding of social care since 2010 is having a severe impact on local authorities - Barbara Keeley

"Barbara Keeley MP, Labour’s Shadow Cabinet Minister for Social Care, commenting on new figures which show the number of NHS delayed days due to a lack of social care are up by nearly a quarter compared with last year, said:-"

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ember-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sarah Newton ,next Minister Of State against Disabled People.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

NonOxCol wrote:My favourite person on Twitter is currently running the #WorstToryMPWorldCup. It's at the quarter-final stage (read previous rounds and system to see how IDS somehow got knocked out)...

IDS faced a tricky draw up against heavyweights Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt in round 2, for any curious non-tweeters.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

SN Can't be less knowledgeable about brief,being positive.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 09 Nov, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:My favourite person on Twitter is currently running the #WorstToryMPWorldCup. It's at the quarter-final stage (read previous rounds and system to see how IDS somehow got knocked out)...

IDS faced a tricky draw up against heavyweights Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt in round 2, for any curious non-tweeters.
That's a genuine Group Of Death :shock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.lgo.org.uk/information-centr ... te-support" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Local Government Ombudsman Social Care

London council leaves family in limbo without appropriate support
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Former David Cameron speechwriter Ian Birrell makes an interesting observation about what Mordaunt’s elevation says about her previous post.

Ian Birrell‏ @ianbirrell

.@PennyMordaunt's promotion means there will now be 7th minister for disabled people in 7 years. This underscores the political disinterest in the post, let alone actually helping people with disabilities achieve anything close to equality
7:03 am - 9 Nov 2017 (Politics Live, Guardian)
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Read some of the replies to this and despair for your species.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:

Read some of the replies to this and despair for your species.
No ta, think I will hammer some rusty nails into my scrotum instead :twisted:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

My colleague, Matthew Weaver, has calculated the estimated cost in wasted air fares to taxpayers of Priti Patel’s abortive round trip - just short of £8,000.
Priti Patel's departure clocks up £8,000 bill for taxpayers (Politics Live, Guardian)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Stagger Lee wrote:---
One thing that really pisses me off the press coverage of this kind of resingationin this kin is the insistence on saying people are losing their jobs. They are still MPs and raking in a nice chunky salary, hefty expenses, platinum pension...
(cJA edit)
Agreed, it's unacceptable. Where's the democratic accountability, here, please? Scary times, no mistake.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Apparently, the newest member of the government does not share Boris Johnson’s enthusiasm for the US president:

Laura Kuenssberg

@bbclaurak

Newest member of govt, Victoria Atkins, called President Trump a 'buffoon and a wazzock'
3:21 PM - Nov 9, 2017 (Politics Live, Guardian)

Edited to add an "L"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

UK will back total ban on bee-harming pesticides, Michael Gove reveals

Exclusive: Research leads environment secretary to overturn government’s previous opposition, making total EU ban much more likely (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ve-reveals
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its a bit quiet in here again, any chance that someone could turn the page over please?