Friday 10th November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 10th November 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 10th November 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Theresa May has done something!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I shall sleep better now at night knowing the precise hour at which we shall leave the EU.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

I think we now know what May talked to Dacre about on Wednesday night, yes?

A sort of diluted version of "crush the saboteurs". I'd bet a fair amount there will be a clock on the front of the fascist shitrag tomorrow.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I shall sleep better now at night knowing the precise hour at which we shall leave the EU.
Will you be staying up for it? Will there be a New Year's Eve style countdown as we approach 11pm?

I can't wait for my joyful awakening on the morning of the 30th.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

I'll go with COUNTDOWN TO FREEDOM

and perhaps a sub-header:

And Big Ben WILL ring in the new era

('cause she probably promised him that as well)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I shall sleep better now at night knowing the precise hour at which we shall leave the EU.
If we leave in March 2019, rather than extend the article 50 process, I'm struggling to see how we have time to sort out the Eurotom problem. At the moment we've given notice to leave that too, with no signs of an alternative being prepared for international approval. Even if the EU is willing to allow us to remain in Eurotom for a transition period, it seems to me that time is very tight to draw up a new arrangement that allows the UK to belong to Eurotom from outside the EU. The need for international approval surely makes it more complicated than something that is just agreed among European nations such as transitional access to the single market.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Only the Express appears concerned:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/877106 ... deal-video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit BLACKOUT: UK could grind to a halt without new nuclear deal with Brussels
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
Will you be staying up for it? Will there be a New Year's Eve style countdown as we approach 11pm?

I can't wait for my joyful awakening on the morning of the 30th.
If it happens, and I still can't quite believe it will, I shall endeavour to spend that night in another EU state!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Alastair Campbell‏Verified account
@campbellclaret
1h1 hour ago
More
Lord Kerr intervention on Article 50 important. It can be revoked if country changes its mind. Which it will. Meanwhile May, for party reasons alone, moves on towards cliff
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Brilliantly timed intervention by Lord Kerr.

Just what Mrs May didn't want in her weekus horibilis.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Brilliantly timed intervention by Lord Kerr.

Just what Mrs May didn't want in her weekus horibilis.

Kerr is foolish.

1. I don't think the words of art 50 do mean what he claims they do. Some disagree with me. Others (eg the Prof of Public Law at Cambridge) don't.

2. The interpretation of words is a matter of their meaning, not the intentions of the draftsman. His views count for no more than anybody else's.

3. If he is right and he intended something other than appears on the face of the words of art 50, he is incompetent, and advertising his incompetence in the press.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good morning

Spinning Hugo is an idiot

Reasoning is I think so and therefore it must be right. Some people agree with me and some don’t but it doesnt matter because I am always right. So there
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Some interesting reviews of Brown's bio, all saying much the same thing

Mandleson

https://www.standard.co.uk/arts/book/my ... 86801.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hare

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... phy-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FT (this is v good)

https://www.ft.com/content/6dcec1a8-c3e ... 86f39ef675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a (very good) hatchet job by Finkelstein

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the- ... -87g0z0577" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree with Chris Giles though, that all the stuff about Brown saving the world is claptrap. The chronology of bank rescues in the US and the rest of Europe, the timing of stimulus, and the late date of the G20 (April 2009) don't support that view. See at the time

https://www.ft.com/content/ca15da64-209 ... 144feabdc0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A very interesting man Brown. Obviously deeply flawed, and tragically unsuited for the job he wanted. But also very able, and attracting deep loyalty (Balls, Miliband E)

(I know he was an Evil Tory but, *ignoring the politics*, Cameron was well suited to the role. He didn't micro manage and was a good front of house performer for the government. That is an entirely different matter from his policy agenda. May, by sharp contrast, is hopeless at the job. Again, ignoring the politics, I wonder how Corbyn would perform? He is certainly much better at the human empathy side than May, which is now so important. He has got better at the performance side of his job, and learning new tricks aged 68 is impressive. But unfortunately the Labour frontbench is so awful, because drawn from such a narrow section of the party, that I wonder if it would be any better than now in terms of daily disasters.)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

For those politely requesting my reasons for doubting Lord Kerr's interpretation, I gave the four arguments against here

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2016 ... rticle-50/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

other views are of course available.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Good morning

Reasoning is I think so and therefore it must be right. Some people agree with me and some don’t but it doesnt matter because I am always right. So there
Brexit date would be reversible, says man who wrote article 50
Lord Kerr says that even if Theresa May adds departure date to withdrawal bill, the treaty would allow UK to remain in EU
“He’s incompetent’ says internet troll
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:Good morning

Brexit date would be reversible, says man who wrote article 50
Lord Kerr says that even if Theresa May adds departure date to withdrawal bill, the treaty would allow UK to remain in EU
“He’s incompetent’ says internet troll

You think art 50 competently drafted? a minority view.

Kerr defends himself for his bad drafting by claiming it was never intended to be used. Which is shabby, IMO.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

so no transition then?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Lawks Lordy but Hugo is tedious.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Lawks Lordy but Hugo is tedious.

There is a mute button (see under friends/enemies). I use it for HindleA, and so the board becomes again a short discussion forum, rather than a stream of one person's consciousness.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/11/1 ... and-trump/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why do we persist in holding the ‘white working class’ accountable for Brexit and Donald Trump’s win, when the evidence suggests it was the backing of the white middle classes that secured them? Gurminder K Bhambra (University of Sussex) argues that a pervasive ‘methodological whiteness’ has distorted social scientific accounts of both these elections. It has enabled commentators to offer economic disadvantage as an explanation for the results, conveniently overlooking the fact that ethnic minorities did not vote Leave – nor African-Americans and Hispanics vote for Trump – in significant numbers, despite the fact that they themselves constitute a large proportion of the working-class.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Lawks Lordy but Hugo is tedious.

There is a mute button (see under friends/enemies). I use it for HindleA, and so the board becomes again a short discussion forum, rather than a stream of one person's consciousness.
There may well be, but when can each tangent squash a tiger?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(nice try)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have no problem with being tedious,to be honest.Of course the only evidentially mention of Brown being an "evil Tory"here,is by him.I never had a problem,nor in general,with some "flaws" ie being human.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And I rise above the targeted needless nastiness.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

With us or US? Barnier challenges May on the kind of society UK wants
Michel Barnier says Britain’s answer is important because it will direct discussions on a future relationship with the EU
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... settlement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I suppose this is the crux of it. What sort of a society do we want?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 43621.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The UK’s exit from the European Union should be prevented due to the “far-reaching impact” Brexit would have, Germany’s Council of Economic Experts, which advises Chancellor Angela Merkel, said Wednesday.

If Britain does leave the bloc, an agreement is needed that would minimise the damage for both sides, the council said in its annual report.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:I have no problem with being tedious,to be honest.Of course the only evidentially mention of Brown being an "evil Tory"here,is by him.I never had a problem,nor in general,with some "flaws" ie being human.
I'm waiting for Priti Patel's "What I Did on My Holidays" memoir to come out.

Edited - typo
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:I have no problem with being tedious,to be honest.Of course the only evidentially mention of Brown being an "evil Tory"here,is by him.I never had a problem,nor in general,with some "flaws" ie being human.
Important point made, thank you. I think the same but don't write as well as you write.
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... mprovement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open consultation
Inspection visits to further education and skills providers judged to require improvement

Ofsted is seeking your views on proposed changes to inspection visits to further education and skills providers who are judged to require improvement.

We currently carry out support and challenge visits to providers that require improvement, resulting in unpublished letters. We propose instead to carry out a single monitoring visit, which will result in a published report with progress judgements.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

What Priti Patel's resignation reveals about being a minister

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... r-mistakes
The Chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee, Bernard Jenkin, suggests that Patel’s error stemmed from inexperience and that she was not well advised by her civil servants. This seems unlikely. Private offices are well versed in the Ministerial Code and see their role as guarding their ministers, and by extension the department, from accusations of impropriety. If anything, ministers get frustrated at what they see as over-cautious advice.

We do not know whether Patel’s private office knew of her plans or what they advised if they did. Ultimately, the error is Patel’s own and she has taken responsibility.
I also notice The Time reporting that they're trying to pin some blame for this on Alan Duncan.

Anyone but Patel's fault according to her Brexiteer chums I guess...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

citizenJA wrote:
Important point made, thank you. I think the same but don't write as well as you write.
:rock:

Unfortunately, the mute button doesn't cover quotes. Could this be done?

"evidentially mention of Brown"

"don't write as well as you write."
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
With us or US? Barnier challenges May on the kind of society UK wants
Michel Barnier says Britain’s answer is important because it will direct discussions on a future relationship with the EU
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... settlement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I suppose this is the crux of it. What sort of a society do we want?
Half the country want one sort of society and the other half want something completely different. The only compromise is something in between - neither "in" nor "out" - but the collapse of consensus based politics suggests that the one thing that ensures there are no real winners or losers is the one thing that will almost certainly not happen. That thing being a successful Brexit that keeps us in the single market and close to our European neighbours whilst leaving the political structure of the EU that English nationalism seems so entrenchedly opposed to.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm disappointed that more fuss hasn't been made about this -
Theresa May has used an article in the Daily Telegraph (paywall) to announced that the government will table an amendment to the EU withdrawal bill to specify that the UK will leave the EU at 11pm GMT (midnight in Brussels) on 29 March 2019. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
apart from anything else.

How arrogant, insulting and, frankly, undemocratic.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SH - nobody, and I mean nobody, thinks that Brown was or is an "evil Tory".

Even his sternest left wing detractors acknowledge that he had fundamentally Labour instincts in a way that Blair didn't (at least some of the time)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Should be our midnight.Sell out.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Some very interesting things on housing this week, challenging the consensus that there is a problem

https://medium.com/@ian.mulheirn/part-1 ... fdc6bac4d2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://medium.com/@ian.mulheirn/part-2 ... ece570c6d7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/my-oxfo ... cts/351906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I'm persuaded by this response

https://www.ft.com/content/af5fa1f2-c4a ... 37841d178a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also notice how inheritance tax has shot up because of housing

https://www.ft.com/content/6e1ac264-567 ... 9e2700005f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:SH - nobody, and I mean nobody, thinks that Brown was or is an "evil Tory".

Even his sternest left wing detractors acknowledge that he had fundamentally Labour instincts in a way that Blair didn't (at least some of the time)

Read what I said again. HindleA, and apparently you, have misread the sentence. i was referring to CAMERON.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Fair enough! :D
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

PorFavor wrote:I'm disappointed that more fuss hasn't been made about this -
Theresa May has used an article in the Daily Telegraph (paywall) to announced that the government will table an amendment to the EU withdrawal bill to specify that the UK will leave the EU at 11pm GMT (midnight in Brussels) on 29 March 2019. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
apart from anything else.

How arrogant, insulting and, frankly, undemocratic.
Will of the people ( and all that guff )

See Ashcroft's latest poll report on confused public :

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2017/11/br ... h-britain/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
Also notice how inheritance tax has shot up because of housing

https://www.ft.com/content/6e1ac264-567 ... 9e2700005f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. It's behind the paywall
2. Gosh, really? No kidding?

:roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.ft.com/content/7ab01f32-6b5 ... 33dc531acb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Uber loses in appeal of key employment rights case

Uber has lost a key legal battle in the UK after its appeal of an earlier tribunal ruling that it should treat its drivers as “workers” who are entitled to the minimum wage and holiday pay was dismissed.

The decision by the employment tribunal appeal in London is another blow to Uber, which has been embroiled in several battles in the UK, its most important European market. It is also fighting to keep its licence to operate in London after the regulator Transport for London threatened to remove it.

However, the appeal judgement is unlikely to be the end of the story. Uber is able to appeal again to the Court of Appeal and possibly to the Supreme Court. Lawyers say it could take years for the process to be exhausted."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

My genuine apologies for misreading you above, SH. But you can maybe understand why given your previous "form".
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I imagine Por Favor will have enjoyed seeing UKIP fall from 43% to 5% while losing a by-election in Stubbington last night, even if the beneficiaries were the Libs!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

SH you can insult me as much as you want though I doubt you would do it face to face.Totally out of order involving anybody else.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.civitas.org.uk/publications/ ... -question/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Land Question: Fixing the dysfunction at the root of the housing crisis

Daniel Bentley,

(Civitas)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/ne ... osed-53046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bill to force landlords into fixing health and safety issues proposed

MPs are set to debate a bill which would make it easier for tenants to force landlords into fixing health and safety hazards.

The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation and Liability for Housing Standards) Bill 2017/19 will have its second reading in parliament on 19 January.

It was put forward as a private members’ bill in July by Karen Buck, Labour MP for Westminster North and chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Legal Aid.

Ms Buck previously tabled the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Bill 2015/16, which was blocked by Conservative MPs.

The new legislation would build on that bill, extending it to social housing tenants as well as those in the private rented sector

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/20 ... dards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

How odd.

I've just noticed that Toady's organisation changed their year end accounting date. Nothing wrong with that but the reason given is a bit peculiar given that they are supposed to be an independent charity. Look down the bottom...

So while every Free School (and Academy) has been forced to go with August as a y/end date giving the DfE massive issues on completing their accounts...their tame charity has gone the other way - from August to March!
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Fri 10 Nov, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.