Monday 13th November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 13th November 2017

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

A new page!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... -agreement

Press release
New Bill to implement Withdrawal Agreement
Why is it when you need a great legal brain there;s never one around? ;-)

Seriously the usual suspects of all colours are arguing the toss on Twitter about the final vote.

One line seems to be that the deal or no deal vote is worthless because nobody except John Redwood and a couple of his mates want No Deal.

The contrary is that Davis is talking BS to spin the fact that he's had to conceded a final vote. This would mean the final vote is[/] meaningful.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:A new page!
I wondered where everyone went
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I don't think Dave Davis is speaking coherently in the House, no joke. His statements don't make sense.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:A new page!
Or - A New Leaf (great film)!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]-1ejyl-8zKw[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've hot water again
hot water heater was broken
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Pro-Brexit British billionaire buys Swiss football club Lausanne
Jim Ratcliffe, founder of chemicals and fracking giant Ineos, recently tried to get government subsidies to build successor to Land Rover Defender
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... iffe-ineos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know I shouldn't be surprised (and am not really) but words still fail me when it comes to ****ers who don't want governments to help feed and house people, but do want government to help them add to their billions
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 52671.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EU bans sale of arms to Venezuela after Britain sells riot gear to regime
President Nicolas Maduro has been accused of crimes against humanity by the UN
putting the 'Great' back in Britain
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... -agreement

Press release
New Bill to implement Withdrawal Agreement
Why is it when you need a great legal brain there;s never one around? ;-)

Seriously the usual suspects of all colours are arguing the toss on Twitter about the final vote.

One line seems to be that the deal or no deal vote is worthless because nobody except John Redwood and a couple of his mates want No Deal.

The contrary is that Davis is talking BS to spin the fact that he's had to conceded a final vote. This would mean the final vote is[/] meaningful.

If there is a Brexit agreement, it will be presented to parliament for approval as an Act of Parliament, so it can be amended, in theory, but of course it's an agreement and can't easily be changed because the EU also needs to agree, so I'm not sure this makes it especially more meaningful unless parliament also has the power to delay "exit day", which also needs to be amended if there is to be a truly meaningful vote.

If there is no agreement, parliament won't have any say at all, as far as I can tell, under Davies' concession.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Evening folks,
Got snowed on today, on Long Crag, above Thrunton Wood (about 10 miles north of Rothbury).
Thanks to whoever linked the housing/land value taxation article. A good read.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Evening folks,
Got snowed on today, on Long Crag, above Thrunton Wood (about 10 miles north of Rothbury).
Thanks to whoever linked the housing/land value taxation article. A good read.

Don't encourage him.

Rather nippy here in the sunny south, too - but I can't lay claim to any snow.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
"Its ironic, Redwood was forced to give this advise to his paid clients because not to do so would be to mislead them which has legal penalties.
He is under no such constraint when advising the electorate."

https://discussion.theguardian.com/comm ... /108176338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm just re-posting this because I'm trying to get my head around it. I understand the conflict of interest part of this story but I'm not focusing on that. This particular MP's second job has regularly enforced legal obligations binding him or he'd not bother obeying them. Capital, money, has more value in our current society, that's what this example demonstrates to me. Do you understand what I mean?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Ah, here, from the G live blog:
In private government sources are even blunter, suggesting that there is very little chance of amendments to the bill passed by the Commons leading to the EU agreeing to change the terms of a Brexit deal already negotiated by the government.
So it is kind of accept it as it is or reject it and we leave with no deal. The key is making exit day, and thus the implementation of the withdrawal bill, only possible by a parliamentary vote. The bit which gives a government minister the power to set exit day is the bit of the Withdrawal bill that really needs to be amended to give Parliament any real control over the process, IMO. Though the Henry VIII clauses could do with watering down as well.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Pro-Brexit British billionaire buys Swiss football club Lausanne
Jim Ratcliffe, founder of chemicals and fracking giant Ineos, recently tried to get government subsidies to build successor to Land Rover Defender
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... iffe-ineos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know I shouldn't be surprised (and am not really) but words still fail me when it comes to ****ers who don't want governments to help feed and house people, but do want government to help them add to their billions
A warped sense of priorities
a billionaire demanding government subsidies for his pollution while UK citizens are homeless or facing homelessness
Has he no niggling voice inside himself urging him to reconsider what he does with his resources and life? Does anyone other than tinyclanger2 take him aside and question him?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ssion-mean" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

what-does-the-latest-brexit-concession-mean?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I'm fascinated, utterly confused, slightly comforted and rather panicky all at the same time about the Brexit vote announcement.

I suppose it could lead to another incredibly high stakes day where MPs have to decide whether to vote for, because no deal is so disastrous, or against, because the deal is so disastrous.

For me, this means the soft Brexit, soft Remain and Hard Remain camps all need to cooperate and despatch Hard Brexit where it belongs, roundly vote down Davis's deal even if that appears to be voting for no deal, provoke a vote of No Confidence and thus a General Election.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"I'm fascinated, utterly confused, slightly comforted and rather panicky all at the same time"

Welcome to my World!!!!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I'm fascinated, utterly confused, slightly comforted and rather panicky all at the same time about the Brexit vote announcement.

I suppose it could lead to another incredibly high stakes day where MPs have to decide whether to vote for, because no deal is so disastrous, or against, because the deal is so disastrous.

For me, this means the soft Brexit, soft Remain and Hard Remain camps all need to cooperate and despatch Hard Brexit where it belongs, roundly vote down Davis's deal even if that appears to be voting for no deal, provoke a vote of No Confidence and thus a General Election.
What heartens me is that we've still got another 18 months to extract more concessions.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I misread that as "extract more confessions".
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well, that might apply in some cases too :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:I misread that as "extract more confessions".
perfect, I did too
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"interesting"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I'm fascinated, utterly confused, slightly comforted and rather panicky all at the same time about the Brexit vote announcement.

What heartens me is that we've still got another 18 months to extract more concessions.
And 18 months to find a vision of a relationship between the UK and the EU that all the categories I mention can unite behind. Challenging not impossible.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bloody 'ell Italy not in the World Cup
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Workload increasing for independent school staff – NEU poll

https://schoolsimprovement.net/workload ... -neu-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Night night.
Goodnight, PorFavor
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Theresa May: Treat Grenfell like the national tragedy it is. Make homes safe.

https://action.labour.org.uk/page/s/Tor ... fellsurvey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

HindleA wrote:Bloody 'ell Italy not in the World Cup
Well that's one less/fewer team that we can't lose to on penalties on the QF out then. We need a few more though I think...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Boundary Commission‏
@BCE2018
Follow Follow @BCE2018
More
Will proposed boundary changes affect your constituency? Check the maps here

https://www.bce2018.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Shocked etc.

The Secret Correspondence Between Donald Trump Jr. and WikiLeaks

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/545738/
The transparency organization asked the president’s son for his cooperation—in sharing its work, in contesting the results of the election, and in arranging for Julian Assange to be Australia’s ambassador to the United States.
Wonder how many organisations that got into bed with Wikileaks now regret it?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

The Withdrawal Bill is just a sideshow really. The decision was already taken back in March. Art 50 is automatic. We now leave n March 2019.

Parliament could pass an amendment saying "if the deal presented is rejected, the government is required to give notice withdrawing art 50". No amendment in the 186 pages of them says that.

If we did give such notice there is a question mark over whether it can unilaterally be given, and if not whether all of the EU27 would agree, as would be required.

Davies conceded nothing at all.

The Hard Brexit agenda now is to talk down the clock.

At the moment, I see nothing that will stop a Hard Brexit. 47 Labour MPs can hold their heads up. The likes of Starmer, Umunna etc cannot.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

[youtube]FKPWzLgvgW4[/youtube]
(mute button optional)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

SpinningHugo wrote:The Withdrawal Bill is just a sideshow really. The decision was already taken back in March. Art 50 is automatic. We now leave n March 2019.

Parliament could pass an amendment saying "if the deal presented is rejected, the government is required to give notice withdrawing art 50". No amendment in the 186 pages of them says that.

If we did give such notice there is a question mark over whether it can unilaterally be given, and if not whether all of the EU27 would agree, as would be required.

At the moment, I see nothing that will stop a Hard Brexit. 47 Labour MPs can hold their heads up. The likes of Starmer, Umunna etc cannot.
An amendment worded like that would possibly lead to EU 27 just offering an unacceptable bill, too try and get article 50 revoked (I think gvt. has argued this case previously as reason to not allow parliament a vote on accepting a deal).
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

tinybgoat wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:The Withdrawal Bill is just a sideshow really. The decision was already taken back in March. Art 50 is automatic. We now leave n March 2019.

An amendment worded like that would possibly lead to EU 27 just offering an unacceptable bill, too try and get article 50 revoked (I think gvt. has argued this case previously as reason to not allow parliament a vote on accepting a deal).

That is, of course, the Tory/Brexiteer argument.

It completely misunderstands the position.

There isn't anything to negotiate. We either take what we're offered, or there is a Hard Brexit. Those are the choices.