Tuesday 14th November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 14th November 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 14th November 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

As foretold by Anatoly yesterday, it seems this morning that it's all Russia's fault.

Makes a change from it being all Labour's fault I suppose....

Good Morning ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... d-cheating" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Double letter flaw: champion Scrabble player banned amid cheating furore
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.careandrepair.org.uk/en/news ... -own-home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New study will investigate effectiveness of home improvements in helping older people stay in their own home
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-news/20 ... M7202_0193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Younger people with MS stuck in care homes for older people
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

CPI stays at 3%

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... n-oct-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 14 Nov, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... d-cheating" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Puts everything else into perspective, doesn't it? No wonder we've got problems when there are bounders like this on the loose.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

I see she's showing off her customary acuity when it comes to the intersection of politics and the internet:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ember-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK House Price Index: data downloads September 2017
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

NonOxCol wrote:Morning.
I see she's showing off her customary acuity when it comes to the intersection of politics and the internet:
Because.... unicorns?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ona-millar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

academy-isle-of-wight-school-fiona-millar

One for Roger (and hoping Mrs O'T is OK)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Labour MP Yvette Cooper has tabled a new amendment to the EU withdrawal bill removing the government amendment setting 11pm on 29 March 2019 as the time when the UK will leave the EU.

Jack Maidment

@jrmaidment

Top: David Davis wants to set date of Brexit in law for 11pm March 29, 2019.
Bottom: Yvette Cooper wants to prevent that from happening and instead link the date of Brexit to when MPs have actually voted on a final Brexit deal.
Key battle. (Politics Live, Guardian)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ona-millar

academy-isle-of-wight-school-fiona-millar

One for Roger (and hoping Mrs O'T is OK)
Thanks for the story - and yes, she's fine. I've been in school for an early meeting which went on a bit...

I remember seeing the Deputy Director for Education at Hampshire before the Select Committee and thought he was very impressive - they had been asked by the DfE to support the IoW even back then.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This was pushing the Rees-Mogg speech that's happening right now. Not the thing for a government department to be pushing...especially as it criticises the Treasury.

PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:This was pushing the Rees-Mogg speech that's happening right now. Not the thing for a government department to be pushing...especially as it criticises the Treasury.

The line up of 'Economists for Free Trade' is quite illuminating!

http://www.economistsforfreetrade.com/who-we-are/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Imagine your defining characteristic being 'Former Special Adviser to Norman Lamont'!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I forget who said it but it was pointed out that Minford hadn't produced a single academic paper for over 30 years. For an academic that is...odd.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Imagine your defining characteristic being 'Former Special Adviser to Norman Lamont'!
And in that time we went into recession and unemployment went back over 3m.

I'd have kept quiet about that link if I was him.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Apparently Minford (for it is he) was also on Pienaar's Politics Sunday. BBC evidently learnt sod all from the widespread criticism of the way they covered his previous intervention...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Including matinée idol Liam Halligan. (That photo' was lifted from a 1970s edition of "The Stage", surely?)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tory policy chief warns of 'very real prospect' Brexit could lead to national decline
Rowena Mason

Rowena Mason

George Freeman, Tory MP and chair of the Conservative Policy Forum, has issued a warning that the UK could become “an old people’s home that can’t pay for itself” with excessive debts and young people fleeing the country, unless it embarks on serious economic renewal. (Politics Live, Guardian)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PorFavor wrote:
The Labour MP Yvette Cooper has tabled a new amendment to the EU withdrawal bill removing the government amendment setting 11pm on 29 March 2019 as the time when the UK will leave the EU.

Jack Maidment

@jrmaidment

Bottom: Yvette Cooper wants to prevent that from happening and instead link the date of Brexit to when MPs have actually voted on a final Brexit deal.

Possibly, among stiff opposition, the most stupid amendment tabled.

Brexit date is fixed by EU law, not by the UK Parliament. The point of the Bill as it stands is to allow the S of S to make the two the same.

That MPs like Cooper clearly do not understand this at all is embarrassing.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

NonOxCol wrote:Apparently Minford (for it is he) was also on Pienaar's Politics Sunday. BBC evidently learnt sod all from the widespread criticism of the way they covered his previous intervention...
Did you expect anything else?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Jack Maidment

@jrmaidment

Brexit date is fixed by EU law, not by the UK Parliament. The point of the Bill as it stands is to allow the S of S to make the two the same.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... 06ef71bb50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But Soubry said that what MPs were really angry about yesterday was the proposal, announced by Theresa May in a Telegraph article on Friday, to insert a clause into the bill saying the UK has to leave the EU on 29 March 2019. That would prevent the UK and the EU from being able to extend the article 50 process if the talks over-ran and extra time were needed.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Jack Maidment

@jrmaidment

If the UK and EU do absolutely nothing between now and then, the article 50 period will run out and we will be, de facto, out of the EU at the end of March 2019. And we will need the withdrawal bill to have been implemented at that time in order to avoid chaos.

What happens, however, if the UK and the EU mutually agree to extend the article 50 process? The withdrawal bill will then need to be implemented at that later date, surely?

As long as it is possible for exit day to change, the implementation date of the withdrawal bill should be open to change. If it's not, the "meaningful" vote Parliament has been promised is not very meaningful.

Although there is some debate about whether article 50 is unilaterally revocable, there is no question at all over whether it can be extended by mutual agreement. It can. Therefore there is no reason why parliament should set an exit date in stone now, before negotiations are complete, unless the government is trying to put extra barriers in the path of agreeing an extension (or possibly even a complete revocation).
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I see tinybgoat beat me to it and that Anna Soubry put it much more succinctly. What she said! :D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
HindleA wrote:Morning

Puts everything else into perspective, doesn't it? No wonder we've got problems when there are bounders like this on the loose.
I've been meaning to tell you this and now is the time. I love your vocabulary and writing, PorFavor.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Soubry can talk the talk, not so much evidence of her backing it up with actions thus far.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:. Therefore there is no reason why parliament should set an exit date in stone now, before negotiations are complete, unless the government is trying to put extra barriers in the path of agreeing an extension (or possibly even a complete revocation).
Yes there is. The de jure (not de facto) Brexit date is that set own by EU law. That cannot be varied by the UK Parliament. It isn't in our control, as Cooper et al seem to think. We need the Withdrawal Bill to be in force at the same time as Brexit (as fixed by EU law, not our Parliament)

The government change is silly politically driven symbolism. So their change is to fix "Brexit date" insofar as UK law is concerned bit to give the UK government transitional powers to make that meaningless. It is essentially the same in effect as the original draft.

Just silly symbolism of course.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:I see tinybgoat beat me to it and that Anna Soubry put it much more succinctly. What she said! :D

She hasn't read the government's change in full, as it doesn't have that effect. The government retains powers to essentially make "Brexit Day" mean nothing during any transitional period.

It should be remembered that the government has the advantage of having lawyers, who will try to prevent them doing anything really stupid.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The withdrawal bill delays suggest a fair bit of behind the scenes pressure from the Tory Europhiles, which is how you would expect this to play out, rather than an overt rebellion. We won't really know how many rebels there are and how serious they are until we see the final form of the withdrawal bill. Though admittedly, I'm not expecting much. Non-Tories really should have voted for Ed in 2015 when they had the chance. It was a pivotal election and sadly we chose flush the country down the toilet.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Willow904 wrote:. Therefore there is no reason why parliament should set an exit date in stone now, before negotiations are complete, unless the government is trying to put extra barriers in the path of agreeing an extension (or possibly even a complete revocation).
Yes there is. The de jure (not de facto) Brexit date is that set own by EU law. That cannot be varied by the UK Parliament. It isn't in our control, as Cooper et al seem to think. We need the Withdrawal Bill to be in force at the same time as Brexit (as fixed by EU law, not our Parliament)

The government change is silly politically driven symbolism. So their change is to fix "Brexit date" insofar as UK law is concerned bit to give the UK government transitional powers to make that meaningless. It is essentially the same in effect as the original draft.

I didn't say the UK could change Brexit day, I said the EU could by agreement and there's no need to make that option more difficult by having to repeal or change the withdrawal bill to accommodate it. But that's not the point. By voting on the March 2019 date now, parliament will be giving the government its approval to leave with no deal on that date and if they do we're done, it's over, Tory hard Brexit here we come or whatever it is May wants to do. If, on the other hand, March 2019 is rapidly approaching and we have no deal and no parliament approval for implementation of the withdrawal bill on that date, we have constitutional crisis and parliament could choose to vote no confidence in May, call an election and hopefully elect someone willing to ask the EU for an extension.

Parliament is simply doing what it is supposed to do, which is try to hold the government to account. Signing away its rights when it doesn't need to isn't holding the government to account. Remember, some legal experts question whether giving Theresa May permission to invoke article 50 equals Parliament approval to leave the EU. If article 50 is revocable (which hasn't been established one way or another) I'm not convinced permission to invoke article 50 is the same as a parliament vote to leave, but I'm pretty certain if the withdrawal bill goes through with the exit day attached it would be.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

As I've mentioned before, although other things can be cobbled together for a transition, I've yet to see any evidence that we will have a replacement for Eurotom by March 2019 and as EU membership is necessary to belong to Eurotom (as opposed to other things like the single market that don't require EU membership, whatever Corbyn says) keeping the extension of the article 50 process on the table is simply sensible, regardless of whether you prefer to stay or leave.

The Tories just aren't being sensible about any of this and it's most concerning.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

I didn't say the UK could change Brexit day, I said the EU could by agreement and there's no need to make that option more difficult by having to repeal or change the withdrawal bill to accommodate it. But that's not the point. By voting on the March 2019 date now, parliament will be giving the government its approval to leave with no deal on that date and if they do we're done, it's over, Tory hard Brexit here we come or whatever it is May wants to do. If, on the other hand, March 2019 is rapidly approaching and we have no deal and no parliament approval for implementation of the withdrawal bill on that date, we have constitutional crisis and parliament could choose to vote no confidence in May, call an election and hopefully elect someone willing to ask the EU for an extension.

Parliament is simply doing what it is supposed to do, which is try to hold the government to account. Signing away its rights when it doesn't need to isn't holding the government to account. Remember, some legal experts question whether giving Theresa May permission to invoke article 50 equals Parliament approval to leave the EU. If article 50 is revocable (which hasn't been established one way or another) I'm not convinced permission to invoke article 50 is the same as a parliament vote to leave, but I'm pretty certain if the withdrawal bill goes through with the exit day attached it would be.
We voted on that already. Article 50 is automatic. We leave in March 2019 with or without a deal.

Parliament could vote to try to reverse that, and require the government to revoke, but we'll be leaving come March 2019 with or without a deal if nothing more happens.

"some legal experts question whether giving Theresa May permission to invoke article 50 equals Parliament approval to leave the EU"

Nobody serious thinks that.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tommy Robinson turns philanthropist as he is named charity’s Goodwill Ambassador

https://london-post.co.uk/tommy-robinso ... mbassador/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:cry:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote: Non-Tories really should have voted for Ed in 2015 when they had the chance. It was a pivotal election and sadly we chose flush the country down the toilet.
A lot of truth in this, unfortunately.

Of course, those within Labour who decided to oppose his leadership literally from the second his victory was declared didn't exactly help.

I wonder if any would have behaved differently if they knew where we would be now?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Non-Tories really should have voted for Ed in 2015 when they had the chance. It was a pivotal election and sadly we chose flush the country down the toilet.
A lot of truth in this, unfortunately.

Of course, those within Labour who decided to oppose his leadership literally from the second his victory was declared didn't exactly help.

I wonder if any would have behaved differently if they knew where we would be now?
It wasn't the Blairites under the bed what lost it. He just wasn't very good.

I wonder if any of those who voted for him in 2010, when it should have been obvious that he was deeply unsuited to the job of leader of the opposition, regret their decision?

What a sorry long term decline Labour is in. Brown begat Miliband who begat Corbyn. Who next? Burgon?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Willow904 wrote:As I've mentioned before, although other things can be cobbled together for a transition, I've yet to see any evidence that we will have a replacement for Eurotom by March 2019 and as EU membership is necessary to belong to Eurotom (as opposed to other things like the single market that don't require EU membership, whatever Corbyn says) keeping the extension of the article 50 process on the table is simply sensible, regardless of whether you prefer to stay or leave.

The Tories just aren't being sensible about any of this and it's most concerning.
3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
I'm probably missing something, but re-reading art.50, isn't the 2 year time limit in regards to negotiation period (with possible extension), so that if no deal is agreed by then it becomes the leave date.
I can't see anything saying that if an agreement is reached we then have to leave on a certain date, i.e. could the agreement be to leave the EU at a later date, allowing time for other negotiations/infrastructure changes, then followed by a 2 yr transition period, when trade deals could be (theoretically) negotiated.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:

We voted on that already. Article 50 is automatic. We leave in March 2019 with or without a deal.

Parliament could vote to try to reverse that, and require the government to revoke, but we'll be leaving come March 2019 with or without a deal if nothing more happens.

"some legal experts question whether giving Theresa May permission to invoke article 50 equals Parliament approval to leave the EU"

Nobody serious thinks that.
Which is where I came in. If nothing happens we leave in March 2019. We won't be ready, however, so sensible people will want to extend article 50, which means leaving that option open, which means opposing Davies' amendment.

And as far as legitimacy goes, it's what the public think that counts. Leaving with no exit deal and no withdrawal bill will be highly risky for the Tory party as it is unlikely to go well.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:, which means leaving that option open, which means opposing Davies' amendment.

Fortunately, despite the rhetoric, the Davies amendment doesn't in fact close off this option.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
Willow904 wrote:, which means leaving that option open, which means opposing Davies' amendment.

Fortunately, despite the rhetoric, the Davies amendment doesn't in fact close off this option.
So would you advocate voting for or against the Davis amendment?

As you can tell I am still confused ;-)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Dan Roberts‏Verified account
@RobertsDan

Honda UK telling MPs it imports 2 million components a day from Europe on 350 trucks and holds 1 hours worth of stock. It would take 18 months to put customs admin in place but every 15 minutes of delay would cost £850,000 a hour. That's not including WTO tariffs of 10% and 4.5%.

Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

I think SH is confusing my support for what the opposition are saying and doing in terms of sending a message about what they would ideally like to see happen, with what I think is possible or likely. Voting to leave in March 2019 doesn't send out a message that you think we should try to keep negotiating until we get a decent deal, which is surely Labour's position. If Davies' amendment is meaningless, why is it there? Something doesn't have to be legally meaningful in order to be politically meaningful. Putting a leaving date in law makes things more complicated if you then want to try to extend the process and leave the EU later, surely? (I never said it made it impossible). Or am I missing something? That's all I'm really saying. Plus Labour voting for that leaving date would then be used politically to show they support leaving with no deal, because that's what supporting this amendment suggests, doesn't it? Why would Labour want to support it? That's what I was discussing, I thought, and the likelihood of the Tory rebels actually stepping up. Of course we could still crash out whatever parliament does, now we've triggered article 50, no one's denying that, so I'm not sure what SH means, but maybe that's the point.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Against. But it won't do any substantive harm fortunately as although it fixes the Brexit date, it simultaneously denudes that of importance,
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
What a sorry long term decline Labour is in. Brown begat Miliband who begat Corbyn. Who next? Burgon?
Labour's GE vote share in June was its best since 2001, actual votes cast highest since the now near mythical 1997.

No doubt you would have preferred it to go the way of PASOK, or PvDA, or Irish Labour.

And no, Burgon won't be our next leader ;)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
And no, Burgon won't be our next leader ;)
You said that about Corbyn.

Decline isn't just measured in votes. Labour is in tragic, heart-rending decline even if it wins the next election.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Whatever.

I think the Labour party is more intellectually lively and interesting than it has been since the 1990s.

Discussion of all sorts of important issues currently going on that were closed off in the elitist, politically and organisationally stagnant later Blair years.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Labour MP Yvette Cooper has just given a powerful speech supporting her amendment. (See 10.36am.) In his speech the Brexit minister Steve Baker said that Cooper’s amendment would bring chaos. Cooper opened by saying the government was doing perfectly well itself introducing chaos. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 14 Nov, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Grieve describes Brexit as 'painful process of national self-mutilation'

Dominic Grieve, the Conservative former attorney general, is speaking now.

He says he views Brexit as a “great and historic error”.

He says he understands the need for parliament to implement the referendum result. But he cannot suspend his judgment, he says, when he considers the “extraordinary painful process of national self-mutilation I’m required to facilitate”.

He says the government’s amendment is “mad”, as he will explain in a moment.
(Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
Of course, he's not a lawyer . . .