Wednesday 15th November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 15th November 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 15th November 2017

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning.

My son just handed in a History project on the decline of the British Empire and Zimbabwean independence.

Timely or what!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Scottish Labour interim leader steps aside amid misconduct claims

Party says Alex Rowley has stepped aside from role, which is to due be filled after leadership election on Saturday

Scottish Labour’s interim leader has resigned after his former partner made a series of claims about his behaviour during and after their relationship, the party said.

Alex Rowley stepped down from the role but denied the allegations and insisted he would “take all steps” to clear his name. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... uct-claims
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Interesting piece linked to btl on the graun

Nothing simple about UK regaining WTO status post-Brexit

From the International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development, written by a former WTO 'Senior Information Officer'.
A common assumption in the June 23 referendum debate is that after leaving the EU, the UK could “simply” operate as an ordinary WTO member. Eventually that’s true, but getting there would be far from simple. Some experts believe that the adjustments would be little more than technical, and that any negotiations would be straightforward. They could be right. It would depend on whether the WTO’s membership is determined to accommodate the UK’s wishes. But recent experience in the WTO suggests that is unlikely. A closer look at the details suggests some key issues could be politically contentious among the WTO’s members, currently 162 countries. On top of that, recent negotiating experience suggests that willingness to accommodate each other’s interests quickly is a scarce commodity in the WTO and even a final agreement cannot be guaranteed. If that is true, then post-Brexit, the UK can expect a long and rough ride.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:

Party says Alex Rowley has stepped aside from role, which is to due be filled after leadership election on Saturday

Scottish Labour’s interim leader has resigned after his former partner made a series of claims about his behaviour during and after their relationship, the party said.

Alex Rowley stepped down from the role but denied the allegations and insisted he would “take all steps” to clear his name. (Guardian)
Absolute farce, he's stepping down in a few days anyway. And are we not being told what these "allegations" actually are, AGAIN?? :roll:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky’s Beth Rigby says the amount of time people have to wait before they get their first universal credit payment, which is currently six weeks, is going to be cut, either by one week or two weeks. (Politics Live, Guardian)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

One week - whoopie-do.

Though as so often, once the principle is conceded further movement might become possible.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:One week - whoopie-do.

Though as so often, once the principle is conceded further movement might become possible.
Although if it is only one week, it would actually better fit the "principle" as currently peddled by government of one week with no money and then 4 weeks in arrears. The 6 weeks has never actually fitted with any argument and so always appeared arbitrary.

What I really want to see is a complete rejection and withdrawal while the old benefit systems are still in operation because once the old frameworks have gone we'll be pretty much stuck with forever tweaking a turd. As such I'd like to see more focus on the state of the IT, as this was supposed to be a key part of UC and where genuine savings were supposed to come from (rather than from benefit cuts, which could have simply been applied to the old system if desired).
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

This morning's Barclaygraph front page was a classic, eh?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Absolute farce, he's stepping down in a few days anyway. And are we not being told what these "allegations" actually are, AGAIN?? :roll:
The move comes after claims by his former partner that Mr Rowley sent abusive text messages.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-l ... -1-4613684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:This morning's Barclaygraph front page was a classic, eh?
Possibly a classic own-goal :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 55581.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As the furore grew, even Brexit-backing ministers began to condemn the front page as an attempt to “divide the party”.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Eric_WLothian wrote:
The move comes after claims by his former partner that Mr Rowley sent abusive text messages.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-l ... -1-4613684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OK, seems fairly small beer all told.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I watched part of PMQs just now, AS says this.
today it felt as if Corbyn was determined to run through every topic on his list from 9am this morning. Sometimes his scattergun approach can work, but today it felt rambling and unfocused, and he never really got past May’s preliminary defences.
He'd covered police, fire safety, UC, education, but there was a point, the Paradise Papers.
He says public services are in crisis. But a super-rich few dodge their taxes. The Tories cut taxes for the few, and services for the many. Isn’t the truth that this a government that protects the super-rich, while the rest of us pick up the bill for poverty and the slashing of services.
Possibly it would have worked better if he'd prefaced each question with a reference to the Papers.

edit - I missed out the NHS but he didn't.
Last edited by gilsey on Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
OK, seems fairly small beer all told.
There's a more dramatic version in the Herald:
The unnamed woman, told the paper "He's destroyed my life. I'm a shadow of a woman I once was.

She reportedly told how she first met the Mid Scotland and Fife MSP when he was a councillor and she was a journalist in 1997, a year before he became General Secretary of Scottish Labour.

She said: "I had been single for a long time and enjoyed the companionship. We had a lot in common and I honestly wish I'd never let him into my life."

...The woman who made the allegations claimed he made her life "hell with his behaviour" and said she had been inspired to speak out after a number of other women made complaints about misconduct by politicians at Westminster and Holyrood.
(The 'paper' mentioned in the article is, of course, the Sun).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Apparently Grace Mugabe has arrived in Namibia.

My son's essay (mentioned above) included a quote from the Groan
“Tensions are rising in Zimbabwe amid a deteriorating economy and a vicious struggle to succeed Mugabe, who is 93 and visibly ailing after 37 years in power. The sacking of Mnangagwa appears to settle that contest in favour of Mugabe’s wife, who is 52”.
Perhaps swinging against her again now!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:I watched part of PMQs just now, AS says this.
today it felt as if Corbyn was determined to run through every topic on his list from 9am this morning. Sometimes his scattergun approach can work, but today it felt rambling and unfocused, and he never really got past May’s preliminary defences.
He'd covered police, fire safety, UC, education, but there was a point, the Paradise Papers.
He says public services are in crisis. But a super-rich few dodge their taxes. The Tories cut taxes for the few, and services for the many. Isn’t the truth that this a government that protects the super-rich, while the rest of us pick up the bill for poverty and the slashing of services.
Possibly it would have worked better if he'd prefaced each question with a reference to the Papers.

edit - I missed out the NHS but he didn't.
Yes it doesn't sound like he really got anywhere. But funny how close Sparrow's take is to this disgraceful "joke" from BBC Laura K.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 13.03.12.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 13.03.12.png (28.82 KiB) Viewed 9499 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, an astonishingly flippant comment from the "its all a game" school of lobby journalism.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The Guardian say that he was raising too many different subjects in his questions, albeit ones that are important where he has done well in the past. Isn't that what she's getting at there?

I can't stand the format, though I appreciate that Democrats in America would love to fire questions at Trump like that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

There's got to be a fairly substantial financial advantage for the government in having/not borrowing the money for a couple of weeks longer. They love pulling stunts ("savings") like that, less so conceding them. I think the OBR flag stuff like this up nowadays, which is good for transparency but might not be helpful in getting the Treasury to back down.

6 weeks in indefensible, of course.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The Guardian say that he was raising too many different subjects in his questions, albeit ones that are important where he has done well in the past. Isn't that what she's getting at there?
It should have been worded differently if that was what she wanted to get across. A jokey reference to food banks was always going to go down badly with many.

I think that JC was trying a slightly different approach (and he always get criticised for "ignoring X" when he majors on one topic) It didn't work brilliantly, no harm done really.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:The Guardian say that he was raising too many different subjects in his questions, albeit ones that are important where he has done well in the past. Isn't that what she's getting at there?
It should have been worded differently if that was what she wanted to get across. A jokey reference to food banks was always going to go down badly with many.

I think that JC was trying a slightly different approach (and he always get criticised for "ignoring X" when he majors on one topic) It didn't work brilliantly, no harm done really.
Yes it's the juxtaposition of the "greatest hits" joke (which btw isn't terribly funny IMHO) with "food banks" that grates. Gives the impression she doesn't realise that Corbyn is asking this because he actually cares that people have to visit food banks.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

He's been quite good recently at asking topical questions, which though they may not seem effective at the time, allow him to refer back to them later with "...and I asked the pm about this the other day ..", so a range of subjects increases the likelihood of this.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Yes, but at the end it was obvious to me that it was intended to be one question, about protecting the rich at the expense of the poor and public services.
a government that protects the super-rich, while the rest of us pick up the bill for poverty and the slashing of services
LK hadn't waited to the end to pass comment.

Admittedly he didn't make a very good job of it, but his intention was clear.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Questionable taste, but:)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Willow904 wrote:

Although if it is only one week, it would actually better fit the "principle" as currently peddled by government of one week with no money and then 4 weeks in arrears. The 6 weeks has never actually fitted with any argument and so always appeared arbitrary.

What I really want to see is a complete rejection and withdrawal while the old benefit systems are still in operation because once the old frameworks have gone we'll be pretty much stuck with forever tweaking a turd. As such I'd like to see more focus on the state of the IT, as this was supposed to be a key part of UC and where genuine savings were supposed to come from (rather than from benefit cuts, which could have simply been applied to the old system if desired).
They're cutting it by 1- or 2-weeks (i.e they'll still have to wait 4-5 weeks for their money). The tweet could have been worded better.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Night night.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Exclusive: DfE wants Harris to take over Durand Academy

"Durand has been the subject of intense scrutiny over its complex governance arrangements – and revelations that then-headteacher Sir Greg Martin earned almost £400,000 in a year, including £161,000 from a private leisure centre operating on the school’s site."

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... nd-academy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jeremy Hunt faces legal action over attempts to 'Americanise' the NHS
Exclusive: Senior health professionals and campaigners have now come together to take legal action and demand a judicial review

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 33986.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;