Thursday 23rd November 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 23rd November 2017

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

New page, please!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/ ... SE.twitter

Understanding ‘what works’ to change attitudes and behaviours
Or what doesn't work :-)
“” The second raised questions about the effectiveness of one-off interventions designed to change behaviour. Our randomised controlled trial found that managers who completed an online exercise to encourage perspective taking and increase empathy towards women and new mothers, actually made them less empathetic than those line managers who did not complete the exercise. This is surprising given that this type of diversity training is frequently used in organisations across the world.

More research may be needed here as this could raise important questions about whether this sort of one-off, quick-fix intervention actually works – and whether interventions in the workplace are being robustly evaluated.””

We must recognise, however, that this is only one of the levers we must use – and that’s why we’re also putting greater emphasis on the robust use of our enforcement powers. As Andrew Rawnsley put it recently:

“Some problems are just too big to be fixed by adjusting the ‘choice architecture’. Not a gentle hand on the elbow, but a muscular kick up the arse.”
Who is surprised that Diversity Training does not necessarily work as intended ?

A nice little money-spinner if you can get in there !
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Hello.

I joke about Charlie Brooker's 'Daily Mail Island', but this is just, well...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.ifs.org.uk/tools_and_resources/budget/520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

analysis relating to the autumn Budget 2017. Researchers presented their analysis of the Budget at a briefing on Thursday 23 November, and slides are now available here:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/w ... ssness?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ITMA

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... humbs-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Call it the revenge of the geeks. On every other day of the year, politicians feel free to play fast and loose with the figures. Anything to massage them towards their own ends. But having stayed up all night going through Treasury forecasts, the day after the budget belongs to the experts. This is when they get to have their say on the government’s competency, and the chancellor can do little but sit back and suck it up.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

NonOxCol wrote:Hello.

The "money pages" in the Daily Mail are particularly good, as are some of their health articles, whilst the Sun is generally considered the best for football coverage. In other words, they know what they're doing.....unfortunately :(

Meanwhile the younger generation are being fed fake news via social media, so the idea such malicious influence will die out with the death of printed papers is probably over optimistic. Although the positive cultural influence on those who grew up with membership of the EU may have a stronger hold on attitudes, just as I suspect suspicion of Eastern Europeans has lingered among those who grew up during the height of the cold war.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... he-economy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Conservatives’ baffling tweet on the economy
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Growing proportion of private faith schools fail Ofsted inspections
Watchdog reports sharp decline in outcomes due to concerns about leadership and teaching of British values
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:?
Didn't intend to watch it.I didn't think it was compulsory. ;)

Edited Attroshous spelling error.
I like your wit a lot
:rock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Careful,I may make it pay per view.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Hello.

The "money pages" in the Daily Mail are particularly good, as are some of their health articles, whilst the Sun is generally considered the best for football coverage. In other words, they know what they're doing.....unfortunately :(
(cJA edit)
Yes, genuine credibility established in one or two subjects and fiction masquerading as truth in others
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 6.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why do UK economic forecasts look so shockingly bad? Is Brexit the only reason?
Spolier alert: it isn't just Brexit. But then I suspect everyone here is well aware of the productivity puzzle and the negative impact of Osborne's austerity. It's all laid out rather well in this article, though, with some very stark graphs.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:---
Meanwhile the younger generation are being fed fake news via social media, so the idea such malicious influence will die out with the death of printed papers is probably over optimistic. Although the positive cultural influence on those who grew up with membership of the EU may have a stronger hold on attitudes, just as I suspect suspicion of Eastern Europeans has lingered among those who grew up during the height of the cold war.
(cJA edit)
The younger people I know live close to the land though also connected to social media
Living close to the land is from Tao Te Ching
Practical advice, living close to the land
Know which hours of the day are best to get things done, know what season you're in, what kind of food is best to eat depending upon where you live, go to sleep when it's sleeping time, eat when you're hungry, smell the air, walk around outside and listen, notice when you can't hear birds only motorway noise, get the hell out of there and live somewhere else with birdsong...
It's harder to con people paying attention to life as lived on the ground, outside of a lot of advertising
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 6.html?amp
Why do UK economic forecasts look so shockingly bad? Is Brexit the only reason?
Spolier alert: it isn't just Brexit. But then I suspect everyone here is well aware of the productivity puzzle and the negative impact of Osborne's austerity. It's all laid out rather well in this article, though, with some very stark graphs.
It depresses the hell out of me
General prosperity for most people is a relatively recent phenomenon and I don't see much preventing a return to feudalism
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sun goes down early these days, doesn't it
I think it's affecting my moods
feels like the middle of the night at 4.30 pm
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]JNS_SUmCJm4[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Looking forward to the full SH v Wren-Lewis match later I have only caught highlights,so far.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

????
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

"" The Sun switched its support to the Conservatives in 2010 after backing Labour in the previous three general elections.

Clarke made the comments in an interview with the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) as part of its investigation into 21st Century Fox’s proposed takeover of Sky.
Rupert Murdoch accused of enjoying ‘astounding access’ to Downing Street
Read more

He said that within a few weeks of winning the general election in 2010 he had a meeting with Rebekah Brooks – then the chief executive of Murdoch’s News International, the owner of the Sun and the Times – in which she “described herself as running the government now in partnership with David Cameron” and said she wanted the government to buy prison ships.

“I found myself having an extraordinary meeting with Rebekah who was instructing me on criminal justice policy from now on, as I think she had instructed my predecessor, so far as I could see, judging from the numbers of people we had in prison and the growth of rather exotic sentences,” Clarke told the CMA.

“She wanted me to buy prison ships because she did accept that the capacity of the prisons was getting rather strained, putting it mildly. She really was solemnly telling me that we had got to have prison ships because she had got some more campaigns coming, which is one of her specialities. ""
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 0-election

Brilliant !
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

On twitter.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Thanks, no twit acess tonite, will look tomorrow !
Senior civil servants in DExEU and Ivan Rogers in Brussels had warned May that announcing a timetable was a bad idea because the moment Britain fired the starting gun “you lose pretty much all the leverage you have”, putting Britain on a countdown clock where the other 27 countries set the rules of the negotiation.

Britain’s most senior civil servant in Brussels, Sir Ivan Rogers, told May that the best way of forcing the EU to compromise would be to say: “We intend to invoke in March but I give you no cast-iron commitment. The moment I’ve seen your draft guidelines document we’ll invoke.”

So confident was Rogers that the prime minister had listened that he told friends in Brussels days before the conference that May would not invoke Article 50 until the end of 2017.

It was proof that even the most experienced civil servants don’t always read the politics of a situation accurately.
https://behindthepaywallblog.wordpress. ... e-adviser/
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bright Tribe pulls out of Haydon Bridge school

BRIGHT Tribe has pulled out of its proposed academy takeover of Haydon Bridge High School, after raising concerns over falling pupil numbers and the school's long-term viability.

http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news/Br ... f9ab65c-ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not being nasty or mocking by the way.He has removed me from any sparring on the I'm not worthy basis.No one is above being challenged
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Telegraph‏Verified account
@Telegraph

Britain must accept more immigrants if it wants a free trade deal, warns senior Indian diplomat #premium

I'm sorry, but :rofl: at the racist brexiteers who wanted out to stop immigration
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... nions-urge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calls for change to apprenticeships after numbers fall by 59%
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... four-weeks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Children with mental health problems 'guaranteed' treatment in four weeks
Exclusive: Leaked government paper reveals plan for waiting time cap – but cuts mean it cannot be rolled out for four years
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:Not being nasty or mocking by the way.He has removed me from any sparring on the I'm not worthy basis.No one is above being challenged
Didn't think you were, but I was, so self censored in a fit of remorse. ;)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Terrible habit the self deleting thing,you wouldn't catch me doing it.......
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@HindleA

:roll: :roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... conditions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Value of asylum housing contracts doubles after criticism of conditions
Home Office invites companies to bid for £3bn to £4bn worth of contracts, after Serco and G4s made losses on 2012 deal
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Britain Elects

Bishops Frome and Cradley (Herefordshire) result:

GRN: 45.3% (+13.9)
CON: 28.8% (-39.8)
LDEM: 24.1% (+24.1)
LAB: 1.8% (+1.8)

Green GAIN from Conservative.

:o
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

wightpaint

"I would think the most obvious reason why disabled people are so consistently under attack is that they are the group least able to resist, since many are wholly dependent on state support - and the agenda of the day is that you must stand on your own two feet: even if you haven't any.

Though it pains me to say this, however, the agenda was set by the Blair government: from Blair himself prattling about people "languishing on benefits", as though they had any choice, to David Blunkett sneering about people sitting at home watching daytime television: as if, again, there had been a practical alternative. That government did the Tories' work for them by removing all political support from disabled people: it's the principal reason why many otherwise loyal Labour people left the party in loathing and disgust in the Blair years, and have returned to it now that this pestilence has been expunged.

For me, the Blairite betrayal of the disabled was worse than Iraq; I could begin to see a vague, if poorly argued, case for intervention in Iraq - although subsequent events proved me wrong. I could never understand why a Labour government would turn against the least able to protect themselves in society; and it was at that point that I realized Tony Blair was a cuckoo in the nest, surrounded by acolytes and sycophants, or those just incapable of realizing the fundamental shallowness of his character and values.

If Labour ever returns to the days of Blair, and those apologists for them who frequented this newspaper all too frequently, it will forfeit my support forever - as will the Guardian, incidentally, since I remember raising these issues with Polly Toynbee, who (in all fairness, she answered my personal approach, which precious few columnists would do then or now) suggested that criticism of the Blair government's approach to disability benefits might be "scare-mongering". Well, Ms Toynbee probably had little need to be scared - those in receipt of disability benefits did, and now do all the more thanks to the path laid by Blunkett, Hutton, Purnell, and Blair himself"
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 24 Nov, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Dianne Abbott did well on Question Time tonight but she's clearly ill. You can see her teeth are suffering and her voice has a faltering quality it didn't have before. I wish her all the best because despite all the stick she gets I like the woman, she sticks to her guns and she winds up the right people.