Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st August

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re: Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st August

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

yahyah wrote:New YouGov/Sunday Times poll

Labour lead 4 [up 2 from last weekend]

Con 32 [-2] , Lab 36 [-], LD 7 [-1], UKIP 16 [+2] govt approval -25
I'm guessing neither that one, nor the Observer/Opinium poll, will form part of the Legendary Five Polls. Mind you, the Observer haven't mentioned the Opinium poll yet either, as far as I can see, not the narrative they want to push.

Re. the phone call question; I am a member, but haven't had a call as yet. Shall let you know it it happens.

@Rog
The mask began to slip last week .....
As I said at one point during the week, Westminster is also a city.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.

(And a special good morning to TechnicalEphemera along with a good breakfast helping of some of Mom's apple pie!)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

For those worrying about Giselle's whereabouts, there's a message from her last night in The Pub.

http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She's asking 'Anyone heard of money laundering in the housing market and the actions the Bank of England take when they suspect it? My buyer's bank account has been frozen''
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

No phone call here either yahyah although we did have a call yesterday from a withheld number. We have a device on our phone which is set up to automatically block those calls so I never hear the phone ring - if they refuse to display their number, I refuse to speak with them & if it was from anyone important such as the hospital, they already have my mobile number.

If anybody is being plagued with nuisance calls, I can highly recommend the Call Saint Blocker. We got ours on eBay for £25 - a small price to pay to stop those bloody nuisance calls from scammers pretending to be from Windows !
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

I'm guessing neither that one, nor the Observer/Opinium poll, will form part of the Legendary Five Polls. Mind you, the Observer haven't mentioned the Opinium poll yet either, as far as I can see, not the narrative they want to push.
Here it is:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ory-leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you only looked at today's politics reports, you wouldn't find it - I only found it by following a tweet by Toby Helm.

LD's at 7% - might this be the reason Helm's piece has been hidden away.....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hadn't seen this from last year.

Churches eviscerate the Centre for Social Justice.

http://www.jointpublicissues.org.uk/wp- ... FINAL1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Bears shitting in forests.
Ɓrian Wernham ‏@BrianUkulele 1m
Universal Credit: rent arrears average £942 - more than 50% of 'pathfinder' claimants in Warrington. DWP abandoning IT system design.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sun 31 Aug, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I made the comparison between Clacton and Dick Taverne in Lincoln back in 1973, just after the byelection was announced. Survation backs that up.

It also shows having BoJo as Tory candidate would make naff-all difference. Amusing given all the media calls that Cameron should "beg" him to stand there :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/north-councils-left-funding-shortfall-7693027

A very bleak account of how the bedroom tax is shafting councils across the North East, and some gloomy projections about the effects of further cuts.
Lord Fraud gives a sympathetic quote, mind :
“The figures also show that recent scare stories about councils running out of money were grossly exaggerated.

“Our vital reforms are fixing the broken welfare system by restoring fairness for hardworking people and making sure work always pays, as part of our long-term plan.”
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Here it is:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ory-leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you only looked at today's politics reports, you wouldn't find it - I only found it by following a tweet by Toby Helm.

LD's at 7% - might this be the reason Helm's piece has been hidden away.....
Bless, I love it when they are so embarrassed by their own polls that they have to hide them away.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Oh look, the new BBC boss is a fucking Tory !
As a director at the Cabinet Office she has been advising the civil service minister, Francis Maude, who, according to senior sources, put in a good word for her. Fairhead's husband, Thomas, is a former Tory councillor in Kensington & Chelsea.
Really pissed off by the blatant cronyism.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Fair to say Call Me has had better weeks, usually supported by the shite that call themselves the press, no doubt he will be back on full throttle next week giving his best impression of a leader and statesman, at the NATO summit.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:Oh look, the new BBC boss is a fucking Tory !
As a director at the Cabinet Office she has been advising the civil service minister, Francis Maude, who, according to senior sources, put in a good word for her. Fairhead's husband, Thomas, is a former Tory councillor in Kensington & Chelsea.
Really pissed off by the blatant cronyism.
Francis Maude got advice? The woman must be a genius, so I can quite understand the appointment.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

If you can stomach it Peter Hitchens has a good old rant today?! The usual bluster but as usual a fair few points about the so called "heir to Blair" and a compliant media at the expense of "dangerous Marxist" Ed Miliband, the latter point being ironic, I think?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Christ the guardian app is a crock of shit! Delete!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Can I get a bit of advise please?
A person on twitter keeps putting my id in tweets about the NHS. Yes, yes I do support the NHS but feel slightly discomforted when someone I don't know puts my name to something they have not asked me about. Am I (in twitter land) obliged to re tweet it? Can anyone more familiar with twitter protocol (if there is one) help? My email account regularly has 7 or 8 "so-an-so has retweeted a tweet you were mentioned in" messages, and I just don't understand why this stranger has decided to use my hash tag to promote her messages. Is this twitter normal?
Thanks and good afternoon :)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Can I get a bit of advise please?
A person on twitter keeps putting my id in tweets about the NHS. Yes, yes I do support the NHS but feel slightly discomforted when someone I don't know puts my name to something they have not asked me about. Am I (in twitter land) obliged to re tweet it? Can anyone more familiar with twitter protocol (if there is one) help? My email account regularly has 7 or 8 "so-an-so has retweeted a tweet you were mentioned in" messages, and I just don't understand why this stranger has decided to use my hash tag to promote her messages. Is this twitter normal?
This is the type of thing I mean
mandy miller ‏@mandymiller123 · 13h
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... th-insurer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … The plot gets murkier.For KPMG read ATOS! @Rosiecat2 @WillBlackWriter @GMBSussexBranch @drbobgill @butNHS @bigdaveash

..and then that gets retweeted... ??
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... th-insurer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … The plot gets murkier.For KPMG read ATOS! @Rosiecat2 @WillBlackWriter @GMBSussexBranch @drbobgill @butNHS @bigdaveash

Looking at her TL, she tweeted that tweet to all those she follows so I reckon it was harmless. You should just have to ask for them to remove your moniker from the conversation & most will remove it without any problem.

You can also change your preferences within twitter & set it so that you don't get notifications I think.

No, you absolutely are not obliged to RT anything you don't want to !
Last edited by pk1 on Sun 31 Aug, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:Francis Maude got advice? The woman must be a genius, so I can quite understand the appointment.
Expect a series of BBC programmes, probably hosted by Dom Littlewood, about what to do with all those jerrycans you have in your garage.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Looking at her TL, she tweeted that tweet to all those she follows so I reckon it was harmless. You should just have to say to remove your moniker from the conversation & most will remove it without any problem.
Ahhh - so its just a generic everyone on her "follow" list. Thanks I thought I was being singled out and could not understand why - that's ok then. Thanks so much PK (I don't mind, just so long as I know why) :lol:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:You should just have to ask for them to remove your moniker from the conversation & most will remove it without any problem.
I always do that is asked ...oh, apart from the occasion where a few of us were winding up the pompous ex-Mail on Sinday hack, that was fun!! :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Labour to abolish Police and Crime Commissioner posts by May 2016

Well, maybe, looks like LL are being a bit premature on this, there is no official announcement (yet)

http://labourlist.org/2014/08/labour-to ... -may-2016/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

More from LL...
UPDATE: Vernon Coaker, Shadow Secretary of State for Defence, has also dismissed the claims that some Labour MPs might consider defecting to UKIP. He said:
“I’m not about to jump and you won’t see other Labour MPs jumping. We’re focusing on the divisions within the Conservative Party, the disaster this is for David Cameron. It actually reminds me of the last days of the Major Government, where the country was facing real problem and the Conservative Party became obsessed by Europe and trying to tackle the problems within their own party, rather than the problems within their everyday lives.
“I’m not aware of any MPs that have doubts. I am aware of Labour MPs from right across the party who are determined to work with Ed Miliband to deal with the problems the country faces. The cost of living crisis, the waits for doctors, all of those issues that concern the British people and we are determined to focus on them in the run-up to the next election and after the election.”
http://labourlist.org/2014/08/austin-mi ... join-ukip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Quite a few Labour people have said they want PPC's scrapped now. I don't think there is much doubt it will happen if Labour are elected next year.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Francis Maude got advice? The woman must be a genius, so I can quite understand the appointment.
Expect a series of BBC programmes, probably hosted by Dom Littlewood, about what to do with all those jerrycans you have in your garage.
I'm expecting a series of programmes about the dark creeping enemy within, the Unions.

Incidentally I've just received my ballot from Unison for NHS strike action and/or lesser action other than striking (work to rule, no work beyond contracted hours etc). I'm torn as to whether to vote for strike action. I absolutely agree with the reasons for calling for it, because of Jeremy Hunt's unilateral decision to collectively punish NHS workers because we won't agree to his demands to degrade our employment contracts yet again, but I also know that this government will ignore us (as they have every other strike) and use a strike to launch another attack on the public sector, the unions and most especially the Labour Party in the run up to the General Election. Striking now might play right into Lynton Crosby's hands.

Above all I just have the ingrained reluctance as an NHS worker to go on strike. Putting the patient first is the core of what we are, it's why many of us work well over our paid hours to the detriment of our own personal lives. And yet I also realise that that ethos is being exploited by Westminster, who cut and cut and expect us to continue to provide the same level of service. :wall:

Anyway... just felt the need to vent a bit. ;)

Whatever I decide I'll be filling in my ballot and posting it. I won't be contributing to any "low turnout" diatribe.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Quite a few Labour people have said they want PPC's scrapped now. I don't think there is much doubt it will happen if Labour are elected next year.
I think the inability of anyone in the country to sack Shaun Wright probably dealt the death blow to PCCs. That and the ever decreasing voter turnout from scandalously embarrassing joke to mockery of democracy levels.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Spacedone wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Quite a few Labour people have said they want PPC's scrapped now. I don't think there is much doubt it will happen if Labour are elected next year.
I think the inability of anyone in the country to sack Shaun Wright probably dealt the death blow to PCCs. That and the ever decreasing voter turnout from scandalously embarrassing joke to mockery of democracy levels.
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking too. The awful irony of Teresa May inflicting PCCs on us because supposedly they would be more accountable .... well how wrong that has been proven. The biggest story is Shaun Wright's unsackability but we have also had the appointment of cronies and escalating amounts of money spent on such appointments, and the dafter policies brought in on a whim. If May had the guts she should say that they - the coalition - will get rid of these failed PPCs. That might actually give her a bit more respect and credibility.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Afternoon all. We are just back from a short trip away to the University of South Wales in Trefforest for the Badger Trust conference. Before we set off on Saturday I was again unable to access this site - simply being repeatedly told the website was unavailable. Has anyone else had similar issues - or is it just me now?

The Trefforest campus is swarming with police from every quarter of the country re the NATO summit. Quite unnerving - especially when we might well be meeting some of them again in the Gloucestershire and Somerset fields in the not too distant future. The Badger Trust conference had already had to be moved from their first university venue as the police accommodation took priority .... but it seems that one campus wasn't enough to cope with the numbers (9,500).

I am still wondering what the mystifying and rather threatening sign on one of the windows in the campus building where lots of police were going in and out of means. It said 'Welfare Cell'. What kind of welfare gets administered in a cell?

Editing to add:
And the name of the union bar at Trefforest? The Randy Badger. Design or coincidence?
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

How Iceland's met office does weather warnings.
Warning Fissure eruption in Holuhraun (north of Vatnajökull).
Warning A strong gale (more than 20 m/s) is expected in most parts with strong gusts near mountains. Heavy rain is also expected in the southeast and a risk of mudslides there. Valid to 01.09.2014 18:00 More
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Reading an Inspector Wexford story and found this quote:

Psalm 55:

The words of his mouth were softer than butter, having war in his heart: his words were smoother than oil, and yet be they very swords.

I thought immediately of George Smith.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Poverty inquiry finds growing inequality in schools
Gulf between children from low- and high-income families is starker than ever, leading to social isolation and bullying

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/31/inequality-schools-children-poverty-commission

I found this very interesting. Some things haven't changed. I had financial struggles over the same things when my two children were at school.

Now it's happening with my granddaughter. Two years ago her school started giving Mandolin lessons. It was near Christmas, so she got a mandolin from her other grandmother and her parents paid the fees. Within six months the teacher stopped giving the lessons.

Next it was guitar lessons. Luckily Mr Ohso won £40 on a scratch card and knows a guy that owns a music shop. Within six months that teacher had left and there was no-one to replace her.

Then there was the after school sewing club and sheer luck that I had a stock of cross stitch materials because that club also folded after no more than a few months.

Every year the headmaster holds a 'Dress Up As Your Favourite Book Character Day. Fine, but some parents have made it a competition to see who can send their kids in the best outfit.

Every year they have a 'Victorian' school day, and send the kids home with a list of what they should wear, what food they should take and what the food should be in. For a lot of mothers that means another trek to the fancy dress hire shop. Luckily I got busy with some old bed sheets which didn't cost more than a couple of pounds, but some families would even struggle to find that.

Every year at Christmas they put on plays and the kids come home with a list of what they need to wear.

I've told my granddaughter to remind her teachers that not all poorer children have grandmothers with a bit of cash, or the ability to use a sewing machine. They have nowhere to turn when the school gives them yet another list of what they need and at short notice.

One teacher replied that there's a Primart [cheap clothing store]in Camberley.

Reality checks needed in some schools I think.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

Night PF :)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... n-campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ed-miliband-labour-put-nhs-centre-general-election-campaign
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Half decent interview with Gordon in the Guardian tonight, usual shit below the line though, expect nothing less.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear, this sounds ominous...

odysseanproject
‏@odysseanproject
Don't blame NM for STel story, she's just following No10 orders. There's a worse one coming shortly...

https://twitter.com/odysseanproject/status/506083418716012544

This is the "schools must enter pupils for EBacc subjects on pain of death" - NM = Nicky Morgan.

What could be worse than telling schools that are supposed to now have freedom, what to do?

Edit - actually that "only following orders" makes me think I was right that Nick Gibb was brought back to make sure that Morgan toes the line. remember, the first draft of the national curriculum was done while Gibb was in the DfE - it vastly improved after he was sacked the first time. Who on earth in No 10 thinks that Gibb is any use?
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Sun 31 Aug, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Interesting...can Douglas Carswell use the data he has on his constituents for his new party when said data was given to him on the understanding he was a Tory MP?

http://informationrightsandwrongs.com/2014/08/31/data-protection-implications-of-mps-crossing-the-floor/
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:Interesting...can Douglas Carswell use the data he has on his constituents for his new party when said data was given to him on the understanding he was a Tory MP?

http://informationrightsandwrongs.com/2014/08/31/data-protection-implications-of-mps-crossing-the-floor/
No he cannot, that data is the property of his former "employer".

Under data protection it could also be argued the information was provided solely for the use of The Conservative party, and handing it to somebody else would breach the rules.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Interesting...can Douglas Carswell use the data he has on his constituents for his new party when said data was given to him on the understanding he was a Tory MP?

Under data protection it could also be argued the information was provided solely for the use of The Conservative party, and handing it to somebody else would breach the rules.
Wouldn't it be amusing if UKIP were fined for using said data?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

re: there's a worse one on the way...

All council run (sic) schools will be forced to become academies before May 2015.

This will be using the excuse of "we have a dysfunctional education system with academies and non-academies so this will simplify matters"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Wouldn't it be amusing if UKIP were fined for using said data?
Seems to me this generation of politicians trample all over the rules. And get away with it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Dudley South MP Chris Kelly is to stand down at the General Election, he has revealed tonight
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014 ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oops - there goes another one.... :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Dudley South MP Chris Kelly is to stand down at the General Election, he has revealed tonight
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014 ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's issues with Ed Miliband's leadership.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I've just put some links up in Features and Analysis - not sure if right place - mods please feel free to move 'um ;)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

He's issues with Ed Miliband's leadership.
Kelly was viewed by some as a possible defector to UKIP.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

This looks messy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 02683.html

The consequences of a Tory Majority in 2015 will be calamitous - for the Tory party. They will split down the middle the day after the election.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

OmniPolitical
‏@OmniPolitics Tomorrow's i newspaper front page: 100 Tory MPs to challenge Cameron on Europe...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:I've just put some links up in Features and Analysis - not sure if right place - mods please feel free to move 'um ;)
I've made "Policy Matters" again and moved them there. Thanks for the links.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:I've just put some links up in Features and Analysis - not sure if right place - mods please feel free to move 'um ;)
I've made "Policy Matters" again and moved them there. Thanks for the links.
Thank You - :hug:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Found Banksy's twitter account, not sure if it is really him but lots of good piccy's to browse :)

https://twitter.com/ESBanksy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;