Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st August

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st August

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Morning all.

Dan must be having a lie in, so I thought I'd get the bacon on and make a brew.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Re: Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st August

Post by ErnstRemarx »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... membership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just for starters - the delicious thought of the Tory party falling to pieces.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ErnstRemarx wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... membership

Morning :)

For years have dreamed of the Tories imploding, but what comes in its place ?
The thought of Kippers becoming a real political force is a depressing one.

Will go and read the piece now.

Oh, and does anyone believe UKIP's claim that some Labour MPs have thought of jumping ship, and if it is likely to be true who the hell are they ?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

So last night my natural Tory friend after some beer went on a ten minute rant about Cameron, and then commented Ed Miliband was the most likely politician to look after his interests.

Strange days.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

yahyah wrote:

Oh, and does anyone believe UKIP's claim that some Labour MPs have thought of jumping ship, and if it is likely to be true who the hell are they ?
If they're are any then they are on the far right of the party and good riddance to them.

And good luck getting Labour voters to re-elect them in a by-election.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.
Downing Street knew before the defection of the Tory MP Douglas Carswell to Ukip on Thursday that the terror level threat would be raised. It made preparations for Cameron's statement before the Carswell announcement, indicating that the press conference was not an attempt to deflect attention from Tory divisions on Europe. (Guardian)
Good God! You mean some people were cynically suggesting otherwise? I don't know - some people, eh?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... sis-threat
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:So last night my natural Tory friend after some beer went on a ten minute rant about Cameron, and then commented Ed Miliband was the most likely politician to look after his interests.

Strange days.
Right now Miliband looks the best bet if you want to vote for stability. The Tories are now saying they'll split if their anti-European wet dream doesn't come true, meaning an unstable government... and if it does come true then that's going to cause untold shockwaves to the UK that will affect everyone. Lib-Dems... who cares? UKIP? The Tories on steriods with the same problems and then some more on top - and they may not even have any MPs. The Greens are ok but don't have a real chance of power (barring the need for a coalition). SNP are making their move and we'll see how that goes...

If this keeps up there's a decent chance that some undecided voters and centrally-inclined voters of other parties will go with Labour for no other reason than that they appear to be the least risky option.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

As TE says, strange days.

Find myself in sympathy with Grant Shapps.

Grant Shapps MP ‏@grantshapps 9m
Carswell told me time and again there should only be open primaries, so will he subject himself to one now I wonder?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainm ... n-primary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

yahyah wrote:

Labour MPs jumping ship? Probably nil. Why would they swap the prospect of government for the absolute likelihood of (at best) life as a marginalised opposition MP, probably for good.

UKIP will pick up perhaps 2-3 seats at the GE, if they concentrate on the areas with large numbers of older, uneducated white voters - such as Clacton, various SE seaside towns and Lincolnshire.

It's after the election that things get interesting.

There will be a titanic struggle for the soul (sic) of the Tory party. Europhobes vs. everyone else. I suspect very few Europhobe Tories will defect because (a) why would they wish to join the malformed UKIP - a minority party in all senses - (b) who amongst them will wish to have Farago as their boss and (c) it's the best chance they'll ever get to wrest the Tpry party out of the hands of the few remaining vaguely sane ones, probably with the media's unstinting support ringing in their ears.

The rest of us will probably watch through our fingers. It won't be pretty.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Morning all.

Has anyone worked out Carswell's position on the Bedroom Tax yet? He voted for it, and against any exemptions for carers etc (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11621/ ... ll/clacton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). However Ukip's official line is against it.

Has he change his mind?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

on an unrelated note, I won't be posting much today as I'm off to my father in law's wedding around lunchtime. He's in his early 70's and a widower since Ms.Remarx' mother died a few years ago from Lewy Body dementia. He's met a lovely woman in her 70's - a widow - and today they tie the knot in nearby Leigh. Couldn't happen to two nicer people. Pity he broke his kneecap on Thursday, but it won't stop him staggering up the aisle (metaphorically speaking).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The recently leaked UKIP "target list" (which they haven't exactly strenuously denied) had just one of its 12 seats Labour held - Great Grimsby.

Constituencies in S Yorkshire, in particular, were notable by their absence. That may have changed with recent events (or perhaps not)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ed Miliband urges West to unite to confront Isis threat at home and abroad (Independent)
The comments below this article are, for the most part, very anti-Labour\-Ed Miliband and some comments are positively racist. I can't help but suspect co-ordinated mobilisation has been launched.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 00803.html
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

RobertSnozers wrote: The preferred Ukip 'narrative' for the last few years seems to have been that they are just as attractive to Labour voters as Tories, and trying to denounce as myth the idea that Ukip voters are all disaffected Tories, so it doesn't surprise me that they are claiming possible defections from Labour as well. I don't think it's true. Statistically, if the opinion polls' breakdown of Ukip supporters is anything to go by, it's more likely that a LibDem MP would defect before a Labour one.
I too can't see a Labour defection.

It'd be difficult to believe that someone looking at the people that have moved between Tory > UKIP and back again would think they'd have any empathy with them at all.

And when you have the main fundraiser being Stuart Wheeler who was funding the Tories before, why would you go to UKIP now if you hadn't moved to the Tories before now?

People like Frank Field might be concerned about immigration but I couldn't ever see him defecting.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: The preferred Ukip 'narrative' for the last few years seems to have been that they are just as attractive to Labour voters as Tories, and trying to denounce as myth the idea that Ukip voters are all disaffected Tories, so it doesn't surprise me that they are claiming possible defections from Labour as well. I don't think it's true. Statistically, if the opinion polls' breakdown of Ukip supporters is anything to go by, it's more likely that a LibDem MP would defect before a Labour one.

It'd be difficult to believe that someone looking at the people that have moved between Tory > UKIP and back again would think they'd have any empathy with them at all.

And when you have the main fundraiser being Stuart Wheeler who was funding the Tories before, why would you go to UKIP now if you hadn't moved to the Tories before now?

People like Frank Field might be concerned about immigration but I couldn't ever see him defecting.
Of course it's bollocks. You might get the odd ex-Labour voter, but UKIP is Thatcherism on steroids, and everyone knows it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:

Morning
from the above link :)
Austin Mitchell, the most prominent Labour opponent of Britain's EU membership, told the Guardian he has not been approached by Ukip. "I'm probably too old to be approached," the veteran MP for Great Grimsby said. "But all Labour MPs are focused on getting Labour back into power."
So I'm not so sure there actually are any, just more of Farage's bluster :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

I could see Kate Hoey doing something "controversial". But I expect she knows which side her bread's buttered. And I also get the impression that she doesn't suffer fools gladly. So Nigel Farage might prove to be the fly in the ointment on that front.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

The Graun must have been devastated to have missed out on the various piss poor images they have in their library of Ed in unflattering pose.

They finally have had the opportunity to dig one out today.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... iraq-syria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rusbridger will be delighted !
Attachments
ed.jpg
ed.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 26608 times
Last edited by pk1 on Sat 30 Aug, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:So last night my natural Tory friend after some beer went on a ten minute rant about Cameron, and then commented Ed Miliband was the most likely politician to look after his interests.

Strange days.
Sounds like my tory neighbours who now wonder how "those poor, poor buggers on a pittance of JSA" manage to live.
4 Years ago "those poor buggers" were "bloody lazy scrounging ba$tards"
;)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RobertSnozers wrote:I did my first voting intention survey for YouGov today by the way. Interesting additional questions about TTIP. No doubt I'll be weighted out of significance.
You probably won't get another political one till after the election. I got my first one just after I joined, it was over 12months before I got another. I really think YouGov filter out known Labour voters ;)
(Sorry that's presumptive of me - I don't know how you vote or how you answered the survey, it just amuses me that of the several people I know who do YouGov none have got another political one for ages after answering with a left leaning point of view.)
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

refitman wrote:Morning all.

Has anyone worked out Carswell's position on the Bedroom Tax yet? He voted for it, and against any exemptions for carers etc (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11621/ ... ll/clacton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). However Ukip's official line is against it.

Has he change his mind?

Afternoon.Apparently.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11065185/Douglas-Carswell-is-a-gutless-coward-says-ousted-UKIP-candidate-Roger-Lord.html
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:
refitman wrote:Morning all.

Has he change his mind?

Afternoon.Apparently.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11065185/Douglas-Carswell-is-a-gutless-coward-says-ousted-UKIP-candidate-Roger-Lord.html
Oh, so he's just noticed the real-life effects of the bedroom tax, has he? Bit slow on the uptake, then.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/504929/I-m-not-stabbing-Tories-in-back-insists-defector

FORMER Tory MP Douglas Carswell took to the streets of his Clacton constituency yesterday to ­defend his ­decision to switch to Ukip.

Note 'His' constituency. Done deal then!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Now people are going to panic. They forget the plague is still active in quite a few countries including the US. And it's treatable now.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/504929/I-m-not-stabbing-Tories-in-back-insists-defector

FORMER Tory MP Douglas Carswell took to the streets of his Clacton constituency yesterday to ­defend his ­decision to switch to Ukip.

Well, to be precise it's not *his* constituency until he wins the by election. Unless it's his until they move the writ.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Now people are going to panic. They forget the plague is still active in quite a few countries including the US. And it's treatable now.
Total bollocks isn't it.

In fact there are some relatively easy ways to inflict significant casualties in modern cities, fortunately the bad guys haven't thought of them, or perhaps there aren't that many bad guys.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/504929/I-m-not-stabbing-Tories-in-back-insists-defector

Well, to be precise it's not *his* constituency until he wins the by election. Unless it's his until they move the writ.

That's what I thought. And have they even settled who is actually going to stand? Lord must be spitting bricks :lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Carswell has already been selected as UKIP candidate for the byelection, according to the party's NEC. That's a reason why Lord is so naffed off :)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Have scrubbed myself clean after reading Michael Henderson's foul piece in the DT - and the right seem almost gleeful in a way that Rotherham has happened -as it 'proves' that their ideas about multi-culturalism (whatever that actually means) were right. The child abuse scandals of the celebs and the rumoured ones about politicians and others seem to have mysteriously vanished.

This was from the Jay report and didn't seem to register a mention anywhere.
11.12 Several councillors interviewed believed that by opening up these issues they could be 'giving oxygen' to racist perspectives that might in turn attract extremist political groups and threaten community cohesion. To some extent this concern was valid, with the apparent targeting of the town by groups such as the English Defence League.
And guess who've set up camp in Rotherham over the past few days?

http://edlnews.co.uk/latestnews/1363-trouble-set-to-flare-between-far-right-groups-at-rotherham-child-abuse-demo
Such is the clamour to capitalize on the misery of child abuse, two far right groups turned up and had arguments with the EDL which involved a lot of shoving and shouting.

First to turn up, were Britain First who had been to see the council office in the afternoon. After some shouting Britain First left.

Later in the evening the National Front turned up to try and claim a slice of the pie but were outnumbered by the EDL, things got nasty and they left.

The EDL have called a demonstration in Rotherham on the 13th September but it seems all other groups are turning up which is likely to end up in a massive punch up as all groups want a slice of the grief pie and some are getting upset that the EDL have beat them to prime position.
Anyone think that they might give a toss about the abused? Nope, me neither...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And no inquiry chair has been announced after whatever her name was stepped down - over a month ago now I think.

You can see that this is being booted into the long grass.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
I don't know.

You open up a spanking new website and The Walton's move in.

Night PF :sleep:
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 41 mins

UKIP drop 5 in tonight's Opinium poll for Observer

CON 30 (+2)
LAB 36 (+4)
LD 7 (-3)
UKIP 16 (-5)
GRN 4 (-1)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That poll was mostly taken before Carswell, I understand.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:Re Rotherham - I believe it's still the case that most cases of CSE involve White British men - it's just that the MO differs. The cases involving men of South Asian origin have tended to concern groups, whereas most cases involving White British men see the perpetrators acting alone. Not that there aren't white men acting in groups to abuse children, it's just that their race isn't considered as a factor. And perhaps they are better protected, e.g. files alleging abuse mysteriously going missing. Anything more happened about that, by the way? Or has the media got a narrative it prefers these days?
We also don't know whether these assailants abused Asian girls or women.

Appalling though the treatment of white victims and families was, we did at least know about them in the first place. As Jay said, we could listen rather more to Asian women instead of "community leaders". Which is what some of us understood by multiculturalism, though I've since been told it meant I couldn't condemn Asian men raping white girls.

I wonder how much of the "couldn't do anything, hands tied, multiculturalism" is arse-covering. But clearly, as Jay says, it was an important factor.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:As TE says, strange days.

Find myself in sympathy with Grant Shapps.

Grant Shapps MP ‏@grantshapps 9m
Carswell told me time and again there should only be open primaries, so will he subject himself to one now I wonder?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainm ... n-primary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Probably Carswell didn't say only open primaries- they cost a fair bit, for 650 constituencies.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Pitchforks Are Coming… For Us Plutocrats
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... AIxTUB0yUm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting take on inequality.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

For any twitchers on board....
Two amazing things happened in the 60′s. The Robin was voted Britain’s national bird and…

The surprising thing is; neither has happened since.

Well, all that is about to change. David Lindo (AKA The Urban Birder) feels the Robin’s many decades in power needs to be challenged, so he is fronting a campaign to help find Britain’s new national bird. Running alongside next year’s General Election will be this alternative Election, which we’d love you to take part in.

It’s going to work in two stages. The first vote will be to find the six running candidates. This vote is live now. Simply scroll down, take a peek through the list of 60 worthy nominees and pick the 6 birds that you think best personifies all that this wonderful nation represents. Each of these species has a special place in the hearts and minds of the Great British public.

It’s as easy as that!

When you register to vote you are automatically entered into a free draw. Prizes include a Shetland Wildlife Holiday, top of the range Leica binoculars, Bird Watching Magazine subscriptions and Urban Birder T- Shirts.

The first round of voting will close at midnight October 31st 2014. Thereafter, we will have our final six candidates up for the title of Britain’s National Bird and the voting will re-open.

The question is; will the Robin be knocked off its perch?
http://www.votenationalbird.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Crike.

Nicky Morgan apparently wants ebacc to be compulsory.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Joan Rivers on life support as family 'face agony over switching off machine'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... ly-4136941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Hot from the torygraph..... :shock:
'Superior’ private health is a myth
Just because you have paid directly, your private health care is not better than that offered by the NHS
However, following a freedom of information request to the Care Quality Commission, figures released last week showed that there were more than 800 unexpected deaths and nearly 1,000 people injured in private hospitals over a four-year period. Given the relatively small amount of patients treated within the private sector, this is shocking. If it was the NHS, there would be an outcry, with claims that it was further proof that the service was no longer fit for purpose.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nhs/1 ... -myth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Crike.

Hmm...they're not impressed are they?

Wonderful bit of PR just before term starts. As someone said this smacks of Nick Gibb more than Morgan. The man's an utter loon. Whatever happened to HT's 'freedom from bureaucrats'? Oh...that was only local ones. :roll:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:Hot from the torygraph..... :shock:
Just because you have paid directly, your private health care us not better than that offered by the NHS
However, following a freedom of information request to the Care Quality Commission, figures released last week showed that there were more than 800 unexpected deaths and nearly 1,000 people injured in private hospitals over a four-year period. Given the relatively small amount of patients treated within the private sector, this is shocking. If it was the NHS, there would be an outcry, with claims that it was further proof that the service was no longer fit for purpose.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nhs/1 ... -myth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can't wait for Rusty to let us know!
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Survation/Mail On Sunday have a constituency poll on Clacton and frankly it's unbelievable.

UKIP have a 44 point lead over the Conservatives.

Sample size was apparently 700 according to UKPR.

If the result is accurate then I can only assume that the people of Clacton are treating the by-election as a protest vote, safe in the knowledge they can have another go 8 months later. Either that or there is something in the water down there.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Spacedone wrote:Survation/Mail On Sunday have a constituency poll on Clacton and frankly it's unbelievable.

UKIP have a 44 point lead over the Conservatives.

Sample size was apparently 700 according to UKPR.

If the result is accurate then I can only assume that the people of Clacton are treating the by-election as a protest vote, safe in the knowledge they can have another go 8 months later. Either that or there is something in the water down there.

Quite a few people I saw interviewed in Clacton on Friday for TV news said they would vote for Carswell/UKIP in the by election but did not know how they would vote in a general election.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Hot from the torygraph..... :shock:
Just because you have paid directly, your private health care us not better than that offered by the NHS
Can't wait for Rusty to let us know!
The mask began to slip last week when it was clear he had access to a subscription to Health Service Journal, and then admitted that he was accessing it through his company's sub.

A City firm with a sub to HSJ with an employee who spends his time mainly bashing management in the NHS and the rest of the public sector?

The result, unsurprisingly, is borne out as we see in the Leadership Academy’s study above. A leadership vacuum is created and things go from ‘really bad’ to ‘even worse’. Of course, the last Labour government did absolutely nothing to counter this, but the incumbent government is equally to blame. They had the chance to use the reforms to wipe out the dreck in the upper echelons of the NHS and open the sector up to the rest of the country’s workforce. With the exception of booting out David Nicholson, they didn’t take that chance.
i.e. companies like his no doubt.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

New YouGov/Sunday Times poll

Labour lead 4 [up 2 from last weekend]

Con 32 [-2] , Lab 36 [-], LD 7 [-1], UKIP 16 [+2] govt approval -25
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The telegraph story about this says that they will instruct Ofsted that schools that don't offer the ebacc will be unable to reach 'good' or 'outstanding' in inspections. So they're not making anything compulsory, they're just nudging schools to do the right thing.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

adam wrote:

The telegraph story about this says that they will instruct Ofsted that schools that don't offer the ebacc will be unable to reach 'good' or 'outstanding' in inspections. So they're not making anything compulsory, they're just nudging schools to do the right thing.
I wasn't aware they could do that with Ofsted - shouldn't it be up to them to decide how the grading works.?

I couldn't stand Science at school and it bored me rigid. By the end of my O level year I had Maths...and that was it. Given the choice of what to do in L6 - so long as I took English Lang and Lit - I went for Accounts, Economics and Statistics. All passed. Found I had a real aptitude for accountancy.

Left school, went to work, took A level Accounts & Economics at East Ham College. Passed.

By the league tables, I was a failure. Did all right later though so I have sympathy with pupils who get pushed into things that they're simply not interested in but seem to be forced to take because of this "must have this and that" regime.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Has anyone else who is a Labour member been called by someone angling for donations for the Scottish independence vote ?

I got a call from a lovely sounding young woman yesterday, who said she was paid to call on behalf of the Labour party.

[When checking the number after I finished the call it seems she was from a company called Listen who canvass for charities as well.]

My only concern about the call [apart from the fact that I never give out bank card details to anyone who cold calls me at home] was she said Labour people were getting jittery about the Scottish Independence result.
That seemed to be the reason for the call, needing money to 'reach out' [as she put it] to undecided Labour voters in Scotland.

Had received a begging letter from Labour about the Independence No campaign but thought as No seemed so well in the lead it wasn't necessary and was keeping my powder dry for a big donation for the general election fight in the New Year. Now having to review that decision.

Was just surprised by the line the canvasser was spinning, about Labour being jittery [I thought it was just me !].