Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th December 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th December 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th December 2017

Post by gilsey »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/gal ... n-pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fint ... -1.3320096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Too soon to say that for sure, but the mere possibility of it has so many historical ironies.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Thanks, think this is good too:
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/why- ... 8?mode=amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...In the meantime, it would be a blessing if respected commentators, together with statesmen from the past and the present, were to broaden and deepen the debate into its proper constituent parts. This is not just about trade. As the Irish Government has identified, this is about relationships on all of these islands. That is at the heart of it, even more than trade. That is what needs to be discussed. That is the next vital stage of this fascinating and historic moment.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/ ... r-minehead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Older people have pulled up the ladder': inside England's oldest and youngest towns
Minehead has the oldest population in England, Manchester the youngest. What do they tell us about the way we live now?
A much more nuanced article than the headline suggests, I found this an interesting read. What comes across to me is that the "generational divide" narrative is unhelpful. Yes, there are huge differences between the way the older and younger generations live their lives today and in the past, but what comes across loud and clear is that people of all ages are facing huge challenges and problems in an increasingly splintered society. And family wealth, rather than age, is the main indicator of how well set people are to meet those challenges. Political choices of recent years have been increasing inequality, widening the gap between the haves and have nots and both young and old have been affected, but in different ways - hence young and old are sometimes at odds over how to make things better. And this is a shame because all generations face problems that need addressing and we, as an electorate, should be capable of supporting policies that help everyone at all stages of their life.

Incidentally, the article mentions Watchet, a run down little harbour town east of Minehead - or at least it was. I visited it a couple of years ago and was quite surprised at how smart the place looked compared to how I remembered. So kudos to those trying to turn the place around, they've done a remarkable job.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This Brexit shortcut looks like a dead end
matthew parris

If Britain is heading for a version of the EU-Canada trade deal then we might want to think again about leaving

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/this ... -w8x9tg5td" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Willow,well said.As much as I get annoyed at the arbitrary date that changes scrounging scum to sainthood on the turn of a day for receiving the same classification of benefit,I equally get annoyed at the east fit "older v young",stuff.Government's love such divisions in the "fairness" comparison downward spiral.Gauke gave a speech about Beveridge prattling about something for nothing,of course the last two Government's have done more to residualise contributional effects more than another other by some degree.To such an extent a created debt is not only seen as acceptable but some kind of generosity if you get sick/disabled,have a partner die,lose your job etc.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I do wonder how those people who grumble about how they don't want to pay for other people's children, of which there seem to be many, cope with paying for their home and car insurance. Paying for other people's flooded homes and automobile write-offs must send them apoplectic. Or would, if their objection was based on objective reasoning, rather than hysterical propaganda in the right wing press.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The same to you, today is a bit of a slow day?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:...family wealth, rather than age, is the main indicator of how well set people are to meet those challenges. Political choices of recent years have been increasing inequality, widening the gap between the haves and have nots and both young and old have been affected, but in different ways - hence young and old are sometimes at odds over how to make things better. And this is a shame because all generations face problems that need addressing and we, as an electorate, should be capable of supporting policies that help everyone at all stages of their life.
---
(cJA edit & emphasis)

Yes, resist getting side-tracked and divided along generational lines, it's distracting
There's plenty of resources
We've a distribution problem
No one need be homeless, hungry or without essentials - education, health and social care, appropriate employment, well-funded public services
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The same to you, today is a bit of a slow day?
Seems so.

I'm hoping for the best for the poor woman in prison in Iran, but since it's not clear that she's even up for discussion, Boris Johnson won't be speaking to the relevant people, and well, Boris Johnson . . . .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's cold and snowing, almost dark, a quarter after four o'clock in the afternoon
I'll put the kettle on
Who's got the baked goods?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -to-be-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Hard Brexit is still a clear prospect: and while leftwing and centrist Leavers may see new futures, the right has always envisaged a return to 70s Britain"
..It’s just that Farage and Stuart cannot be as angry as they might seem, because they know the wording of the deal has more holes than a fishing net and can ultimately be interpreted to mean whatever they want.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its not going to be as easy for them, though, now that a managed Brexit (if you want to call it that rather than "soft") is now firmly established as an option in a way it wasn't before yesterday.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... s-why.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Gisela Stuart: Ministers are mistaken. Regulatory alignment is Single Market membership in all but name. Here’s why."
https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... -back.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"John Longworth: May has capitulated – and here’s what must be done to fight back"
https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... o-now.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"James Arnell: Brexit. What we should do now"
Unhappy Brexiteers.
If they're all so adamant that the agreement so far is wrong & can be changed/got round, then why is Ireland happy to accept it, especially with the 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed' bit?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/don ... 99636.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I spent the first two decades of my career as a social scientist studying liars and their lies. I thought I had developed a sense of what to expect from them. Then along came President Donald Trump"
By telling so many lies, and so many that are mean-spirited, Trump is violating some of the most fundamental norms of human social interaction and human decency. Many of the rest of us, in turn, have abandoned a norm of our own - we no longer give Trump the benefit of the doubt that we usually give so readily.
One of the comments suggests the author's work is flawed, because he's comparing trump's lies to his studies of students, whereas he should be comparing him to other politicians :?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Nick Cohen can fuck off. Spite filled bile is a generous description of his latest column.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Youcan always read a Labour MP if Cihebn offends

https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... s-why.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:Youcan always read a Labour MP if Cihebn offends

Well, she starts by saying "we're leaving the EU, why haven't they thought up an easy way to do this?". Standard Leave bollocks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

refitman wrote:Nick Cohen can fuck off. Spite filled bile is a generous description of his latest column.

The answer to Cohen's question is "An attempt t bring back Jeremy's close friend Galloway"

Which just shows how useless and unprincipled the Labour moderates are.

Vote for an anti Brexit party instead.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

This "Galloway set to rejoin Labour" bollocks gets reheated every so often, and the usual suspects lap it up.

Please look at what Corbyn's spokesperson actually said would have to happen for him to be readmitted.

I can say with great confidence that there is next to no chance of these things happening.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:This "Galloway set to rejoin Labour" bollocks gets reheated every so often, and the usual suspects lap it up.

Please look at what Corbyn's spokesperson actually said would have to happen for him to be readmitted.

I can say with great confidence that there is next to no chance of these things happening.
Of course . That is the point. It is the only red line he knows he cannot cross. They'll swallow Murray, Fisher, Milne. Lansman etc.

Pathetic.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

"Corbyn to allow eating of babies, shock."
"umm, no he's not"
"hah, exactly! It's the only thing he knows he won't get away with"
?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

tinybgoat wrote:"Corbyn to allow eating of babies, shock."
"umm, no he's not"
"hah, exactly! It's the only thing he knows he won't get away with"
?

Murray, Fisher, Milne, Lansman.

They're just less high profile than Galloway, that is all.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Reds under the bed!!
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

refitman wrote:Reds under the bed!!

What these people think is a matter of public record. They're not under any beds.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

In my respectful opinion, your only honourable response will be to stop being a fucking fool by changing your fucking mind.
Only honourable response to Nick Cohen is to quote himself back at him.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

So no baked goods
fine
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

adam wrote:
In my respectful opinion, your only honourable response will be to stop being a fucking fool by changing your fucking mind.
Only honourable response to Nick Cohen is to quote himself back at him.
The first minute of this is delicious --

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]getG0kXj1RY[/youtube]
Last edited by refitman on Sat 09 Dec, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: video fixed
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

@frog222 - remove the

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
from the link between the youtube tags.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:So no baked goods
fine
Crumble, anyone?
After a week that saw May reach a deal with the EU that will allow Brexit talks to move forward on to future trade relations, EU officials insisted a bespoke deal more favourable to the UK than other non-EU nations was out of the question.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Night night.
Goodnight, PorFavor
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@adam
:lol:
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ent-rebels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Theresa May faces first Brexit bill defeat, say Commons rebels"
Theresa May is facing her first Commons defeat on her
Brexit bill within days, amid a last-minute plea to pro-European Tories to force a “truly meaningful vote” on Britain’s final EU deal.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I was looking for what I thought was an established homily something to the effect, 'for every lie told, seven more are necessary and it's a drag...'.
The internet search engine I used led me to the following blog having nothing to do with the homily.
Equipping & Encouraging People in Cultural Transition
http://www.thecultureblend.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thecultureblend.com/the-seve ... ulturally/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've only begun reading but what I've read so far helps me make sense of my own experiences.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
stay warm & sound off if you need help
love,
cJA
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12 ... oncession/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Cabinet Brexit truce threatens to unravel as Leavers 'told concession to EU meaningless'"
A senior Eurosceptic with knowledge of the discussions involving Cabinet ministers, including Mr Johnson and Mr Gove, told The Telegraph that No 10 had said a commitment to “full alignment” between the UK and the EU “doesn’t mean anything in EU law”.

A separate source confirmed that a specific Cabinet minister had been told by No 10 aides that the provision was “meaningless” and was simply included to secure Ireland’s approval for the document.
From Telegraph, so rest of article behind paywall.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:@frog222 - remove the

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
from the link between the youtube tags.
Everything before and including the equal sign ?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]zQx-4EXofTQ[/youtube]

GOOD, many thanks !
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

tinybgoat wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12 ... oncession/
"Cabinet Brexit truce threatens to unravel as Leavers 'told concession to EU meaningless'"
A senior Eurosceptic with knowledge of the discussions involving Cabinet ministers, including Mr Johnson and Mr Gove, told The Telegraph that No 10 had said a commitment to “full alignment” between the UK and the EU “doesn’t mean anything in EU law”.

A separate source confirmed that a specific Cabinet minister had been told by No 10 aides that the provision was “meaningless” and was simply included to secure Ireland’s approval for the document.
From Telegraph, so rest of article behind paywall.
I think the government keep using these words and phrases - alignment / divergence and so on - as though they are in control of what they mean. As with the wasted months before this week's deals, their views on what things mean don't matter spit compared to what the rest of the EU know they mean.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Starmer stunningly useless on Marr.

Even allowing for the constraints he is under from the leadership favouring leaving the CU and SM, he is hopeless.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

And now we have Davis trying to blag his way out of having no impact assessments.

Don't vote for either of these Brexit parties.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

“”“If we were to give the UK a very lopsided deal, then the other partners with whom we have been engaging and who entered into balanced agreements would come back and question those agreements.”“”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-for-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forriners !

Zoe Williams sensible on R4 Broadcasting House earlier, the saboteuse :-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... iters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First Stage Reality and Brexiters

Wren-Lewis
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:Starmer stunningly useless on Marr.

Even allowing for the constraints he is under from the leadership favouring leaving the CU and SM, he is hopeless.
Hugo Starmer's not a TV celeb never will be.

At his best, unsurprisingly, working through the detail and performing in the House.

I didn't watch it, but Twitter response was relatively positive I'd say. People at least seem to believe him, unlike Davis.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Wren-Lewis
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... iters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why then are the Brexiters not up in arms? It is partly because the agreement plays on their lack of realism, as I suggested two days ago. The UK government and Brexiters still pretend that they can, through some magical means, avoid a hard border. Given that belief, how can they object to this fall back position?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Starmer stunningly useless on Marr.

Hugo Starmer's not a TV celeb never will be.

At his best, unsurprisingly, working through the detail and performing in the House.

I didn't watch it, but Twitter response was relatively positive I'd say. People at least seem to believe him, unlike Davis.
And what a triumph he has been at that. Brilliantly putting together an alliance of the opposition and Tory soft Brexiteers to pass amendment after amendment.

To think this hopeless man was once thought of as leadership potential!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Oops, sorry A.