Tuesday 12th December 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 12th December 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Re: Tuesday 12th December 2017

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

At last night's British Journalism Awards, the Journalist of the Year award went to Nick Ferrari.

Always like to start the day with some good news.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

In a similar vein, to Journalist of the year,
Guardian has got the top 10 Xmas cracker jokes
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ompetition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hopefully, better jokes are available in comments.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinybgoat wrote:In a similar vein, to Journalist of the year,
Guardian has got the top 10 Xmas cracker jokes
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ompetition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hopefully, better jokes are available in comments.
alexito

What’s the difference between Nigel Farage and a fussy kid at Christmas dinner?
The kid doesn’t get a pension for leaving Brussels.

Morning !
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Inflation up to 3.1%. [edit] which means that Carney has to get the pen and paper out to write to Hammond...

Even more worrying is the commentary to producer prices.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflatio ... vember2017
The headline rate of inflation for goods leaving the factory gate (output prices) rose 3.0% on the year to November 2017, up from 2.8% in October 2017.

Prices for materials and fuels (input prices) rose 7.3% on the year to November 2017, up from 4.8% in October 2017.
:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Guy Verhofstadt‏Verified account
@guyverhofstadt
Following Following @guyverhofstadt
More
Remarks by David Davis that Phase one deal last week not binding were unhelpful & undermines trust. EP text will now reflect this & insist agreement translated into legal text ASAP #Brexit

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

A round of applause for David Davis please...
@guyverhofstadt
Follow Follow @guyverhofstadt
More
Remarks by David Davis that Phase one deal last week not binding were unhelpful & undermines trust. EP text will now reflect this & insist agreement translated into legal text ASAP #Brexit
It's almost like cabinet ministers forget that when they speak over here, others can hear it too.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Ro'T and AAW - I was just here to share that too. From politico
The remaining EU27 countries have “hardened” the language of a proposed Brexit resolution for this week’s European Council summit in response to U.K. Brexit Secretary David Davis’ comments on Sunday that last Friday’s Brexit deal with the EU was “more a statement of intent than a legally enforceable thing,” according to three EU diplomats.

At a Monday meeting of sherpas ahead of the summit, at which EU leaders must formally sign off on the agreement with the U.K. that Brexit talks move on to phase 2, diplomats redrafted a summit declaration on Brexit.

The latest draft of the document now says negotiations can only progress to phase 2 “as long as all commitments undertaken during the first phase are respected in full and translated faithfully in legal terms as quickly as possible,” according to a read-out of the declaration
The only way May could keep her party together was to brag that what they hadn't agreed with the rest of the EU was what they had in fact just agreed with the rest of the EU. They either thought the EU wouldn't notice or they just didn't care what the EU thought. Why this isn't 'we interrupt this program for a newsflash' news is beyond me. (Well, it's not because I'm a lost cynic but you know what I mean.)
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Is it worth mentioning, just to be very clear, that the Rand Corporation has nothing to do with noted benefit scrounger and earlier promoter of the moral value of the stinking rich and despiser of benefit scroungers Ayn.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

adam wrote:Is it worth mentioning, just to be very clear, that the Rand Corporation has nothing to do with noted benefit scrounger and earlier promoter of the moral value of the stinking rich and despiser of benefit scroungers Ayn.
Thanks for that - I was wondering if there was a connection.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Going on from the "Well, it's not legally binding" line...
Kate Bevan‏Verified account
@katebevan
Follow Follow @katebevan
More
Replying to @davidallengreen
hang on, but we're not supposed to point out that the referendum itself wasn't legally binding?
Quite
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:Is it worth mentioning, just to be very clear, that the Rand Corporation has nothing to do with noted benefit scrounger and earlier promoter of the moral value of the stinking rich and despiser of benefit scroungers Ayn.
Well, a lot of posters over at the Guardian are labouring under that misapprehension. But, tellingly, they're mostly (if not all of them - I've only dipped in and out) "Brexiters".
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Going on from the "Well, it's not legally binding" line...
@katebevan
Follow Follow @katebevan
More
hang on, but we're not supposed to point out that the referendum itself wasn't legally binding?
Quite
You can point it out, but the problem is that nobody out there actually believes it.

The government sent out a leaflet to every household in the country saying "WE WILL IMPLEMENT WHAT YOU DECIDE". That is what people remember.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:A round of applause for David Davis please...
@guyverhofstadt
Follow Follow @guyverhofstadt
More
It's almost like cabinet ministers forget that when they speak over here, others can hear it too.
And I would have got away with it, too, if it wasn't for those meddling Europeans . . .

Edited - typo
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

More on the Rand report
Fears grow across the Atlantic over Brexit fallout

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42315280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Guy Verhofstadt

@guyverhofstadt

After @DavidDavisMP’s unacceptable remarks, it’s time the UK government restores trust. These amendements will further toughen up our resolution.
11:16 AM - Dec 12, 2017 (Politics Live, Guardian)
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Going on from the "Well, it's not legally binding" line...
@katebevan
Follow Follow @katebevan
More
Quite
You can point it out, but the problem is that nobody out there actually believes it.

The government sent out a leaflet to every household in the country saying "WE WILL IMPLEMENT WHAT YOU DECIDE". That is what people remember.
Can anyone name *anything* that waste of Etonian skin actually got remotely right in the administration of what was already a fundamentally selfish and stupid idea?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

He thought he could wing it, as he has done in most aspects of his life since his schooldays.

Bad move.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 05311.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brexit-david-davis-talks-european-council-undermining-good-faith-incompetent-guy-verhofstadt
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh look, Chris Deerin has made another inspiring call for a new CENTRIST party of ALL THE TALENTS :sleep:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I saw this the other day but since I haven't got a sub I can't read it all.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/policy-and-regula ... 63.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The former chief executive of NHS Improvement has said £1bn could be saved by “ruthlessly” stripping back national bodies and local commissioners – and warned that plans to establish accountable care are “far too bloody complicated”.
I would have thought that Tories would be all over this story like a rash but given that it was Lansley that put this labyrinthine mess in place, maybe that's why we've not heard anything.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Italy declares state of emergency after deadly gas explosion in Austria
One dead and 18 injured after blaze tears through Baumgarten gas hub, plunging Europe into an energy crisis

"In Britain, Europe’s biggest gas market, gas for immediate delivery soared 35% to 92p per therm, its highest level for four years."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Daniel Hewitt‏Verified account
@DanielHewittITV

Primary schools with washing machines to wash children's uniforms, where teachers charge parents phones who have no electricity, and give coats, shoes and food to their pupils. The GP who is treating kids for rickets. This is the poverty we have found in the North West in 2017

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

The Real Fight Starts Now!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... exit-plans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Politics as juvenile game, guaranteeing that the poorest are made considerably poorer.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

SpinningHugo wrote:The Real Fight Starts Now!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... exit-plans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Politics as juvenile game, guaranteeing that the poorest are made considerably poorer.

Don't vote for the big two Brexit parties
Read my link above yours.
If I vote for any party other than Labour, the tory's will win the seat. No way can I endorse the kind of poverty that would bring.
Brexit is the main thing occupying my mind just now, BUT I'd rather Labour in government (even with the threat of brexit) than 5 more tory years, whenever the election comes
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The guy openly admits blatant discrimination,passing judgement of worthlessness of targeted posters,perhaps read in that context.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

More important than ever of course,when there actually is a vote,to vote for Labour.IMHO.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 12 Dec, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Please this is not a campaigning site it's a Forum.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Whilst pressing them on clarity of ridding of the benefit freeze,caps etc.IMHO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

If you want "politics as a juvenile game", I can simply point to the three dozen EXCITING NEW CENTRIST PARTIES that have been mooted/set up just in this calendar year :lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]rl2Jv4dzFqg[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Davis‏Verified account @DavidDavisMP

Pleasure, as ever, to speak to my friend @guyverhofstadt -
5:49 am - 12 Dec 2017
Any reply should read:

"The pleasure is all yours"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Yes, these days, apprenticeships are the in thing...
Laura McInerney‏Verified account
@miss_mcinerney
2m2 minutes ago
More
Today's Apprentice Watch Alert: You can now be an 'apprentice junior management consultant' - truly, this is the technical qualifications revolution we have all been waiting for.
What the world needs now apparently is more management consultants...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

In London government sources were playing down the idea that Davis’s tweet means he plans to legislate soon. They say the proposed withdrawal agreement and implementation bill will have to wait until there actually is a withdrawal agreement. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Is it Government policy to have at least two versions of each pronouncement?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:
David Davis‏Verified account @DavidDavisMP

Pleasure, as ever, to speak to my friend @guyverhofstadt -
5:49 am - 12 Dec 2017
Any reply should read:

"The pleasure is all yours"

David Davis

@DavidDavisMP
I look forward to working closely with the EP in the next phase, including on a top shared priority: ensuring admin procedures for citizens are as streamlined as possible in both the UK and EU. 2/2 @guyverhofstadt

1:49 PM - Dec 12, 2017

I do wonder if DD's phone call (& concessions??) to Guy forced the latest announcement on making it easier (and cheaper) for EU citizens to apply for British residency ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Roth hinted that May had given May the impression that Britain only had to pay the Brexit final bill to the EU if there was a deal on a trade agreement. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I'm sure it's a typo. Nevertheless, it's a depressingly accurate description of what's going on.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-h ... tober-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK House Price Index for October 2017

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... tober-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
@katebevan
Follow Follow @katebevan
More
Quite

Do people remember the coward making those binding promises bolted without fulfilling any of them?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... mer-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Labour isn’t flip-flopping on Brexit – this is practical politics"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone
it's cold
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Labour just keeping their eyes on across the room
who knows what the Tories might do

I'd posted this in response to something about Labour's Brexit position, that it's not clear
I don't have a clear Brexit position either, I've not the first idea what Tory government are playing at
I couldn't do anything better than to keep watch and hope to stop the madness
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 12 Dec, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Yes, these days, apprenticeships are the in thing...
Laura McInerney‏Verified account
@miss_mcinerney
2m2 minutes ago
More
Today's Apprentice Watch Alert: You can now be an 'apprentice junior management consultant' - truly, this is the technical qualifications revolution we have all been waiting for.
What the world needs now apparently is more management consultants...
Cheap labour, that's all apprentice gigs are about these days
Regardless of position
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:He thought he could wing it, as he has done in most aspects of his life since his schooldays.

Bad move.
Tory entitlement
bunch of hot-house flowers
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:

If I vote for any party other than Labour, the tory's will win the seat. No way can I endorse the kind of poverty that would bring.
Brexit is the main thing occupying my mind just now, BUT I'd rather Labour in government (even with the threat of brexit) than 5 more tory years, whenever the election comes
Hear, Hear
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:More important than ever of course,when there actually is a vote,to vote for Labour.IMHO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:---
The only way May could keep her party together was to brag that what they hadn't agreed with the rest of the EU was what they had in fact just agreed with the rest of the EU. They either thought the EU wouldn't notice or they just didn't care what the EU thought. Why this isn't 'we interrupt this program for a newsflash' news is beyond me. (Well, it's not because I'm a lost cynic but you know what I mean.)
(cJA edit)

It's insane - look at what's in the news, none of it makes any sense and there's the reason for it. May's Tories are lying on their feet to the home crowd contradicting what they've promised the EU. I'm shocked, astounded by it.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Hear, Hear

As I've said before, it is wrong to adopt this utilitarian caclculus. You shouldn't participate in wongdoing, even to prevent a greater wrong.

Don't be complicit

https://www.unc.edu/courses/2009spring/ ... ndians.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't vote for one of the two Brexit parties.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Please this is not a campaigning site it's a Forum.
I am sure you'll be forcefully and evenhandedly enforcing this new policy of denouncing support for any particular political party.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

You* are allowed to post pretty much whatever you want here, I can think of certain discussion places where that certainly wouldn't be the case.

(*and I mean that both in a general sense and, yes, in the case of you personally SH)