Wednesday 13th December 2017.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Wednesday 13th December 2017.

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... jones-wins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy Moore loses Alabama Senate race after bid beset by sexual assault claims
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 13th December 2017.

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -behaviour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damian Green may be cleared 'because he wasn't minister at time'
Friends of Tory activist Kate Maltby, who has accused Green of inappropriate behaviour, fear PM’s deputy will be deemed not to have breached code
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Today in the county court I represented a real-life #DanielBlake. He is 51 and has depression and PTSD. He cannot use a computer.
According to his doctor he is not fit for work. The DWP thinks otherwise though, and since moving him from ESA to #universalcredit
He has been repeatedly sanctioned for failing his ‘Claimant commitment’ of job-searching for 35 hours per week.
With @CitizensAdvice’s help, he
is challenging these sanctions, but the process is slow &, in the meantime, his money is stopped.
He also wants to challenge the assessment that found him fit for work but he can’t until a ‘mandatory reconsideration’ has been issued.

He has chased this many times, to deafening silence from the #universalcredit department.
The result of this Kafkaesque nightmare?

My client has been living off £114.33 a month (that’s £26 a week) and has been relying on food banks. His rent arrears are now £10,000.
So he is being evicted from his Council home. But until the #universalcredit sanctions are lifted, he cannot afford his full rent.
Today I explained all of this to the judge and asked for more time for him to sort out his #universalcredit, before evicting him
Thankfully, the judge granted him more time. She was visibly shocked by what I told her & said the benefits system is ‘appalling’
And that she hadn’t been aware of all the problems with #universalcredit. She thanked me for drawing them to her attention.
am glad my client has a roof over his head this Christmas. But I am sad that he, and many others like him,
Has been a victim of such a cruel and inhumane benefits system, and I wish I could reassure him that things will get better.

Mary Rachel McCabe

Fuck all to do with Brexit.A Tory created situation.Continued diversion no doubt ahead.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Hello.

I will take victories wherever I can, but I see very little to celebrate when reading about the number of white people who voted for Moore (including significant majorities of both white women and college-educated whites).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

HindleA wrote:Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... jones-wins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fantastic news :-)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

NonOxCol wrote:Hello.

I will take victories wherever I can, but I see very little to celebrate when reading about the number of white people who voted for Moore (including significant majorities of both white women and college-educated whites).

Just shows how grimly polarised politics has become. So determined to prevent a Democrat being elected they'll vote for an alleged child abuser as the lesser of two evils.

You shouldn't be complicit n wrongdoing, even to prevent a perceived greater wrong.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

SpinningHugo wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Hello.

Just shows how grimly polarised politics has become. So determined to prevent a Democrat being elected they'll vote for an alleged child abuser as the lesser of two evils.

You shouldn't be complicit n wrongdoing, even to prevent a perceived greater wrong.
Don't get me wrong, Moore is a shit, but he's also a local celebrity and a long time public figure in a harshly conservative state who only a few months ago beat the (appointed) Republican incumbant in the primary. It's not any kind of surprise that he polled very strongly - his 'alleged' record really isn't that much worse than Trump's, and with a handful of individual exceptions he had the state and national party apparatus pretty firmly behind him.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Interestingly, in terms of timings, Jones is unlikely to take his seat in the Senate until it sits in January - so the GOP keep their 52/48 majority (strictly 52/46/2) until then - so if they joint committee can put together a reconciled tax bill before then - which they are aiming to do - it will be a little bit easier to get it through.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Don't give a fuck about purity in an impure World,sticking your nose in the air in fake morality means you are not only complicit but enabling evil as above.An act of unforgiveable selfishness.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Poor sod

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-polit ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Fake morality,confirmed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... sted-chief" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disadvantage no excuse for poor school performance - Ofsted chief
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... n-detainee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ombudsman called in after death of 12th immigration detainee
Michael Netyks from Poland, the 12th detainee to die this year, had been serving a six-month sentence at a private jail in Liverpool run by G4S.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Jared O’Mara, the Sheffield Hallam MP currently suspended from the Labour party for inappropriate sexist and homophobic remarks, has been advised by his doctor not to attend parliament, his local party have said. (Politics Live, Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... itics-live
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 13 Dec, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Added a comma (edit - above)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote:Poor sod

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-polit ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He has been a very silly boy, but this is genuinely sad now. Even the LibDems aren't feeling much glee about it.

And the fact remains that Westminster is a deeply archaic institution in all sorts of ways, and lousy for many different varieties of minority.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

SpinningHugo wrote:Poor sod

Apologies for the repeat - I hadn't read your link before I posted.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I see you serving a six-year term . But not in the Senate .

https://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/dail ... -year-term" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by frog222 on Wed 13 Dec, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Very good 8-)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I've just been writing to Laura Pidcock.
The arguments on 1950s women & pension age changes have been long & frustrating. Ahead of Thursday's Commons #WASPI debate, I'm interested to hear from the women affected, about the apprenticeships idea heard from a few Tories & how this injustice has impacted you personally.
Should have copied it to Mhairi Black as well, she's another one who seems to listen to WASPI.
Got it off my chest, anyway.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Wonderful running commentary in the small hours of morning from you, HindleA, thank you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:

Wonderful running commentary in the small hours of morning from you, HindleA, thank you.
Seconded.

And people really shouldn't be downcast that the result was narrow - Alabama is the FIFTH MOST CONSERVATIVE state in America.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Afternoon.
Robert Peston
@Peston
·
17m
Promises by @Number10gov just now and @DavidDavisMP in lengthy statement that there will be meaningful vote on Brexit terms have not won over Grieve and Tory rebels. What more pressure will government apply?
Or possibly the government will cave and accept the amendment? May can't really afford a defeat on this. She scraped thought the EU deadline for agreeing preliminaries by the skin of her teeth. She needs to go into the Xmas break on a high. Why risk it when the amendment simply calls for a meaningful vote, something she and Davis have repeatedly insisted they are happy to have? If there is a vote the "rebels" are finally going to actually rebel on it is going to be this one, so if May bluffs it out and wins, hopes of a sensible exit from the EU will appear considerably more distant, I fear.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Seconded.

And people really shouldn't be downcast that the result was narrow - Alabama is the FIFTH MOST CONSERVATIVE state in America.
Trump won in Alabama by nearly 600,000 votes last year 62/35. In the senate contest last year the other incumbant Republican senator won by around 600,000 votes. 64/36. The last time Sessions ran the Democrats didn't bother to run anybody against him. The Republicans hold the state senate 26 seats to 8 dems with 1 independent, and hold the house 70 to 33. They won the last governor election 64/36.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:

I read it after the event but before knowing the result - so I appreciated the running commentary, too.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

This is still fairly astonishing, even in the midst of all of the general nonsense...

Tory whips make legal threat to rebels before crucial Brexit vote
Conservative rebels have been threatened with legal action if they make false public comments about the activities of the government’s whips in the run-up to Wednesday night’s crunch vote in parliament, the Guardian understands. In an indication of the toxic atmosphere at Westminster as Theresa May seeks to avoid an embarrassing defeat over MPs’ demands for a meaningful vote on the Brexit deal, at least one potential mutineer was warned by the chief whip, Julian Smith, that they could be sued if they made defamatory comments about the whips’ activities.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:Wonderful running commentary in the small hours of morning from you, HindleA, thank you.
PorFavor wrote:I read it after the event but before knowing the result - so I appreciated the running commentary, too.
I'd promptly forgotten about Alabama and the US Senate after logging out.
I came back to read this afternoon. Neat, spare style. Lots of information in a few words.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:This is still fairly astonishing, even in the midst of all of the general nonsense...

Conservative rebels have been threatened with legal action if they make false public comments about the activities of the government’s whips in the run-up to Wednesday night’s crunch vote in parliament, the Guardian understands. In an indication of the toxic atmosphere at Westminster as Theresa May seeks to avoid an embarrassing defeat over MPs’ demands for a meaningful vote on the Brexit deal, at least one potential mutineer was warned by the chief whip, Julian Smith, that they could be sued if they made defamatory comments about the whips’ activities.
Is that legal? Holy smokes. Will we have our communications' equipment taken away, you think?
I'd hoped for some years of calm, clean air, water, affordable fresh food before armageddon events commenced.
Looks like the sh** is happening now, egg falling off the table, tipping point reached, the final tough spot.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:
adam wrote:This is still fairly astonishing, even in the midst of all of the general nonsense...

Is that legal? Holy smokes. Will we have our communications' equipment taken away, you think?
I'd hoped for some years of calm, clean air, water, affordable fresh food before armageddon events commenced.
Looks like the sh** is happening now, egg falling off the table, tipping point reached, the final tough spot.
I think 'do this and we'll take you, our own MPs, to court' must be their final stage before 'do this and Jeremy Corbyn will be Prime Minister and it will all be your fault'.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:

This quote from May is revealing too --

"" this parliament gave that decision, about our membership of the European Union, to the people of this country. It is the people of this country that have voted to leave the EU and this government will deliver for the people of this country.”""

So she's the Executive of The People, and parliament can just get lost ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Just seen a bit of PMQs earlier. Could someone remind May that "Prime Minister's Questions" doesn't mean that *she* gets to ask them?? ;)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...asked by the Labour backbencher Heidi Alexander about a separate amendment she has tabled, aimed at opening the way for the UK to remain in the European Economic Area, the prime minister risked further irritating rebel backbenchers by insisting the decision had already been taken by voters.

May said: “She says that it should be parliament that makes the decision about our membership of the single market; actually this parliament gave that decision, about our membership of the European Union, to the people of this country. It is the people of this country that have voted to leave the EU and this government will deliver for the people of this country.

The Conservative MP Anna Soubry later challenged the prime minister, saying they were both “proud of being called bloody difficult women”, but urging her to accept the amendment, “in a spirit of unity of everybody here and in the country”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ory-rebels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Just seen a bit of PMQs earlier. Could someone remind May that "Prime Minister's Questions" doesn't mean that *she* gets to ask them?? ;)
Tory government heard the will of the people and further voting is risking democracy. May hopes we enjoyed the June 2017 GE. If it's up to her, I doubt she'd countenance another.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks for appreciation.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky TV News is surmising that Theresa May might accept the amendment rather than go down to a humiliating defeat.

Surely, at this stage of the game, accepting the amendment amounts to the same thing as going down to a humiliating defeat?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

But it lacks the symbolism of actually losing a vote in the HoC. I suppose if this is true then at long last some credit is due to the "Tory rebels" for (finally) standing their ground.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:But it lacks the symbolism of actually losing a vote in the HoC. I suppose if this is true then at long last some credit is due to the "Tory rebels" for (finally) standing their ground.
I take your point - but I think it's got to the stage where accepting an amendment will be symbolic in itself. Or should be, if the press were to do its job. Which it might even do in this instance if the wind's blowing in the right direction.

Edited - tidy up
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

More on the whips

Chuka Umunna‏Verified account
@ChukaUmunna

There is one word for this - bullying https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/woma ... 18556.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some are basically blackmailing thugs.They tend to get promoted.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:But it lacks the symbolism of actually losing a vote in the HoC. I suppose if this is true then at long last some credit is due to the "Tory rebels" for (finally) standing their ground.
I take your point - but I think it's got to the stage where accepting an amendment will be symbolic in itself. Or should be, if the press were to do its job. Which it might even do in this instance if the wind's blowing in the right direction.

Edited - tidy up
I think I may have noticed the flaw in your plan :)

(though subsequent point taken - possibly)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Thanks for the updates overnight Hindle.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ukip to face tribunal over use of data in EU referendum campaign
Information commissioner announces inquiry into parties’ use of personal information after Ukip’s refusal to cooperate

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Laura Kuenssberg
@bbclaurak
·
3m
Grieve, Soubry, and Clarke have left the chamber to talk to George Holingberry
I'm doubtful May will chance this vote unless she's absolutely certain of winning it. And I suspect Grieve knows this. Who'll blink first?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

¿Qué pasa?
Laura Kuenssberg

@bbclaurak

Grieve, Soubry, and Clarke have left the chamber to talk to George Holingberry
6:08 PM - Dec 13, 2017

George Hollingbery[sic] is Theresa May’s parliamentary private secretary. (Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Whoops!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Capture25.PNG
Capture25.PNG (16.51 KiB) Viewed 11285 times
Rather good point, I thought.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Grieve says latest concession is 'too late'

Dominic Grieve intervenes. He says Raab’s latest concession (see 6.47pm) is “too late”.
(Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]rjqFF9PqTXo[/youtube]