FlyTheNest

A haven
It is currently Sun 21 Jan, 2018 4:49 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 1:35 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9369
Has thanked: 18102 times
Been thanked: 16801 times
If you want something doing . . .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 2:52 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5018
Has thanked: 1578 times
Been thanked: 8291 times
Loving the idea that the EU should decide to harmonise with Croatia and change all EU passports to blue :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 2:59 pm 
Offline
Minister of State

Joined: Sun 29 Nov, 2015 1:24 pm
Posts: 499
Has thanked: 2475 times
Been thanked: 986 times
PorFavor wrote:
If you want something doing . . .


don't ask me ! I'm not busy enough .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 3:06 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5018
Has thanked: 1578 times
Been thanked: 8291 times
So as you have seen I've been chuckling at the blue passport thing all day.

But as the words have flashed past me over and over I realised they are rather chilling (my emphasis):

Quote:
The UK passport is an expression of our independence and sovereignty – a document that symbolises our citizenship of a proud, great nation. Leaving the EU gives us a unique opportunity to restore our national identity and forge a new path for ourselves in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 3:19 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13647
Has thanked: 75985 times
Been thanked: 12985 times
frog222 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
If you want something doing . . .

don't ask me ! I'm not busy enough .
:lol:
So it's not just me, good

I was enjoying some sunshine outside, mild, lovely day
Mr citizen and I went down the hill and up again
Shop was packed and people distracted
I loved an employee working one of the tills!
'Golden castor sugar! Doesn't go off, why didn't you get it sooner? Why are you all waiting until the last moment, eh?...'
We spoke of ourselves in the third person and agreed completely


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 3:53 pm 
Offline
Foreign Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1513
Has thanked: 11295 times
Been thanked: 3321 times
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12 ... -exercise/
"Theresa May's plane intercepted by RAF Typhoon jets as part of training exercise"
Quote:
The exercise was to demonstrate how the RAF’s Quick Reaction Alert jets challenge suspected hijacked aircrafts and Russian bombers which fly at the fringes of UK airspace.
After witnessing the interception the Prime Minister hailed the “unique skill” of the RAF....
..Witnessing the unique skill of the RAF at first hand is an absolute privilege and one again demonstrates that the British armed forces are the finest in the world....
....The exercise added about an hour onto the journey, during which the Prime Minister carried out her ministerial duties and took a break by doing some Sudoku.
She was also reading The Incredible Crime novel, part of the Cambridge mysteries series.
:sick:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 3:59 pm 
Offline
Foreign Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1513
Has thanked: 11295 times
Been thanked: 3321 times
https://news.sky.com/story/may-aware-of ... 0-11180033
"May 'aware' of reports of Russian spy in No 10"
For some reason 'David Cameron's sprang to mind, then UtopianDreams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 4:03 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13647
Has thanked: 75985 times
Been thanked: 12985 times
tinybgoat wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/22/theresa-mays-plane-intercepted-typhoon-jets-part-training-exercise/
"Theresa May's plane intercepted by RAF Typhoon jets as part of training exercise"
Quote:
The exercise was to demonstrate how the RAF’s Quick Reaction Alert jets challenge suspected hijacked aircrafts and Russian bombers which fly at the fringes of UK airspace.
After witnessing the interception the Prime Minister hailed the “unique skill” of the RAF....
..Witnessing the unique skill of the RAF at first hand is an absolute privilege and one again demonstrates that the British armed forces are the finest in the world....
....The exercise added about an hour onto the journey, during which the Prime Minister carried out her ministerial duties and took a break by doing some Sudoku.
She was also reading The Incredible Crime novel, part of the Cambridge mysteries series.
:sick:
Reminds me of staged tricks used by USA's W Bush
'Mission Accomplished'
I don't think he liked Sudoku much
not a reader, W Bush


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 4:11 pm 
Offline
Foreign Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1513
Has thanked: 11295 times
Been thanked: 3321 times
re: passports.
you can buy customised wallets/covers for passports,
do you have to remove them from cover for use?
If not does it matter what colour it is & couldn't people just knit a navy blue one if that's what they want.
(or a nice Burgundy, pimlico one)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline
Minister of State

Joined: Sun 29 Nov, 2015 1:24 pm
Posts: 499
Has thanked: 2475 times
Been thanked: 986 times
Our brave lads fighting Daech make it sound as thought it's an even contest ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 4:17 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9369
Has thanked: 18102 times
Been thanked: 16801 times
Quote:
Steelworkers face huge pension cuts as Tata completes merger

Stephen Kinnock demands government step in over default plan for 122,000 members of British Steel pension scheme

The retirement plans of tens of thousands of steel workers have been thrown into disarray after their pensions were pushed into the Pension Protection Fund, the government lifeboat for failed schemes.

The 122,000 members of the British Steel pension scheme (BSPS) have until Friday to decide whether to stay with the scheme, join a new one with reduced benefits set up by Tata Steel, or transfer to a personal plan. (Guardian)


https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/22/steelworkers-face-huge-pension-cuts-as-tata-completes-merger


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 4:47 pm 
Offline
Foreign Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1513
Has thanked: 11295 times
Been thanked: 3321 times
PorFavor wrote:
Quote:
Steelworkers face huge pension cuts as Tata completes merger

Stephen Kinnock demands government step in over default plan for 122,000 members of British Steel pension scheme

The retirement plans of tens of thousands of steel workers have been thrown into disarray after their pensions were pushed into the Pension Protection Fund, the government lifeboat for failed schemes.

The 122,000 members of the British Steel pension scheme (BSPS) have until Friday to decide whether to stay with the scheme, join a new one with reduced benefits set up by Tata Steel, or transfer to a personal plan. (Guardian)


https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/22/steelworkers-face-huge-pension-cuts-as-tata-completes-merger

I think the logic behind it was the original pension scheme was underfunded, Tata didn't want to continue funding it as it would have made a merger with Thyssen Krupps unviable, so they were allowed to dump it into the Pension protection fund, in return for keeping Tata UK running for at least a few years.
The Steel unions voted to allow this, but mainly the majority of remaining employees of Tata UK at the time were in Wales & it preserved their jobs.
The Pension scheme trustees calculated that by reducing benefits, especially to existing pensioners, they could offer a better pension to most scheme members than staying in the PPF, but because the original pension scheme was folding, this is a new, pension scheme, with assets of the old one split between new on and PPF.
Tata UK then said they would sponsor the new scheme, which seems a bit odd, and there are a number of dubious details, my favourite is that people transferring to the new scheme keep some of the same arrangements as the old one, for most British Steel pensions, pensioners partners get 50% pension in the event of their death, but British Steel took over a number of other companies over the years, some with 20% pension in event of death, the new scheme will keep the same conditions of whatever the original scheme was.
- in other words it's not really a new scheme.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 5:03 pm 
Offline
Foreign Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1513
Has thanked: 11295 times
Been thanked: 3321 times
Other problem with the pension scheme is that the alternative to entering the new scheme or the protection scheme is transferring out. A large number is employees in their 50's have got 'pension pots' with transfer values from 300 thousand upwards, and have been looking at transferring to private pension schemes, often having been basically advised that 10% yearly return easily achievable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 5:16 pm 
Offline
Minister of State

Joined: Sun 29 Nov, 2015 1:24 pm
Posts: 499
Has thanked: 2475 times
Been thanked: 986 times
tinybgoat wrote:
Other problem with the pension scheme is that the alternative to entering the new scheme or the protection scheme is transferring out. A large number is employees in their 50's have got 'pension pots' with transfer values from 300 thousand upwards, and have been looking at transferring to private pension schemes, often having been basically advised that 10% yearly return easily achievable.



TBG - the wideboy sharks are circling ... ten bloody percent indeed !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 5:59 pm 
Offline
Foreign Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1513
Has thanked: 11295 times
Been thanked: 3321 times
frog222 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
Other problem with the pension scheme is that the alternative to entering the new scheme or the protection scheme is transferring out. A large number is employees in their 50's have got 'pension pots' with transfer values from 300 thousand upwards, and have been looking at transferring to private pension schemes, often having been basically advised that 10% yearly return easily achievable.



TBG - the wideboy sharks are circling ... ten bloody percent indeed !


Ha, they'll never get their hands (fins?) on the tbg millions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 6:11 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9369
Has thanked: 18102 times
Been thanked: 16801 times
Quote:
Damian Green case: former police officers 'acted in public interest'

Brian Paddick defends actions of ex-officers at centre of claims of pornography on politician’s House of Commons computer

Lord Paddick said: “I can’t imagine a jury would find unanimously that it was not in the public interest to put into the public domain that an MP’s computer was being used to regularly to watch pornography at his place of work.” (Guardian)


https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/damian-green-case-former-police-officers-public-interest-brian-paddick


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 6:17 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 6780
Has thanked: 677 times
Been thanked: 14994 times
Ex-plod defends ex-plods shocker?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 6:31 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9369
Has thanked: 18102 times
Been thanked: 16801 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Ex-plod defends ex-plods shocker?


Yes - it is a bit of a turn-up, isn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 7:45 pm 
Offline
Foreign Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1513
Has thanked: 11295 times
Been thanked: 3321 times
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42449683
"'No 10 knew' of Damian Green claims in 2016, says Kate Maltby"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 7:51 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 6780
Has thanked: 677 times
Been thanked: 14994 times
tinybgoat wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42449683
"'No 10 knew' of Damian Green claims in 2016, says Kate Maltby"


Hmmm - she will of course be out for revenge now, but still.......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline
Minister of State

Joined: Sun 29 Nov, 2015 1:24 pm
Posts: 499
Has thanked: 2475 times
Been thanked: 986 times
PorFavor wrote:
Quote:
Damian Green case: former police officers 'acted in public interest'

Brian Paddick defends actions of ex-officers at centre of claims of pornography on politician’s House of Commons computer

Lord Paddick said: “I can’t imagine a jury would find unanimously that it was not in the public interest to put into the public domain that an MP’s computer was being used to regularly to watch pornography at his place of work.” (Guardian)


https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/damian-green-case-former-police-officers-public-interest-brian-paddick



""No evidence has yet emerged to suggest that one of the officers involved, Bob Quick, a former Met assistant commissioner, put the claims about Green in the public domain.

Quick has told friends he did not make the information public. A newspaper got hold of his draft statement to the Leveson inquiry into press standards...""

So who started the ball rolling ? We need a timeline on all that .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline
Foreign Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1513
Has thanked: 11295 times
Been thanked: 3321 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42449683
"'No 10 knew' of Damian Green claims in 2016, says Kate Maltby"


Hmmm - she will of course be out for revenge now, but still.......

There's also references to Damian Green's behaviour being complained about previously, (although it is Guido Fawkes) which would tie in with Kate Maltby's claims.
https://order-order.com/2017/11/01/dami ... iminating/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 8:27 pm 
Offline
Minister of State

Joined: Sun 29 Nov, 2015 1:24 pm
Posts: 499
Has thanked: 2475 times
Been thanked: 986 times
Serial behaviour, not one knee-brush job .

Brexit Bulldog on Dead Ringers —

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09jgzhy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 9:02 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 18224
Has thanked: 16178 times
Been thanked: 27503 times
Private Eye Xmas Crossword doing their usual to complete it somewhere in the year issues thing,thankfully I remembered it rather than having to look through.

From "Dumb Britain"

During the Second World War which Brit did Adolf Hitler call the most dangerous woman in Britain.

Margaret Thatcher.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 9:06 pm 
Offline
Chancellor

Joined: Thu 28 Aug, 2014 9:51 am
Posts: 1959
Has thanked: 4936 times
Been thanked: 4727 times
tinybgoat wrote:
Other problem with the pension scheme is that the alternative to entering the new scheme or the protection scheme is transferring out. A large number is employees in their 50's have got 'pension pots' with transfer values from 300 thousand upwards, and have been looking at transferring to private pension schemes, often having been basically advised that 10% yearly return easily achievable.

The FCA has already banned some welsh firms from arranging transfers.
https://www.professionaladviser.com/pro ... -suspended

_________________
One world, like it or not - John Martyn


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 9:09 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 18224
Has thanked: 16178 times
Been thanked: 27503 times
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42437530


"Besides, the focus of this saga remains on Damian Green.
After all, it was his conduct that sparked the revelations.

And given that the Conservative MP now admits knowing about the claims pornography had been found on his work computers there are searching questions about what he did or should have done with that information.
If, as he alleges, he had not downloaded or viewed the material himself, did he inform the parliamentary authorities that his computers had been improperly accessed or hacked by someone else?
Did Mr Green tell David Cameron that his computers' security may have been compromised when the former prime minister appointed him to the Home Office in 2010?
And was Theresa May informed about it when Mr Green was her policing minister between 2012 and 2014, and later when she rejuvenated his political career by bringing him into the cabinet?
There may be wider issues for the police - particularly where the boundaries lie between maintaining confidentiality and exposing alleged wrongdoing. But that should not detract from the bigger questions facing a cabinet minister who failed to tell the truth."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 9:50 pm 
Offline
Minister of State

Joined: Sun 29 Nov, 2015 1:24 pm
Posts: 499
Has thanked: 2475 times
Been thanked: 986 times
HindleA wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42437530


"Besides, the focus of this saga remains on Damian Green.
After all, it was his conduct that sparked the revelations.

And given that the Conservative MP now admits knowing about the claims pornography had been found on his work computers there are searching questions about what he did or should have done with that information.
If, as he alleges, he had not downloaded or viewed the material himself, did he inform the parliamentary authorities that his computers had been improperly accessed or hacked by someone else?
Did Mr Green tell David Cameron that his computers' security may have been compromised when the former prime minister appointed him to the Home Office in 2010?
And was Theresa May informed about it when Mr Green was her policing minister between 2012 and 2014, and later when she rejuvenated his political career by bringing him into the cabinet?
There may be wider issues for the police - particularly where the boundaries lie between maintaining confidentiality and exposing alleged wrongdoing. But that should not detract from the bigger questions facing a cabinet minister who failed to tell the truth."


Exactly .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 9:56 pm 
Offline
Chancellor

Joined: Thu 28 Aug, 2014 9:51 am
Posts: 1959
Has thanked: 4936 times
Been thanked: 4727 times
Anyone else done EdM's quiz? I was pathetic, only got 15.
https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian ... iz-of-2017

_________________
One world, like it or not - John Martyn


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 9:58 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9369
Has thanked: 18102 times
Been thanked: 16801 times
gilsey wrote:
Anyone else done EdM's quiz? I was pathetic, only got 15.
https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian ... iz-of-2017



No - not yet (even though I posted the link). I had a quick skim through but didn't apply myself to it. At first glance, a lot of the questions seemed quite hard!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 10:01 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13647
Has thanked: 75985 times
Been thanked: 12985 times
gilsey wrote:
Anyone else done EdM's quiz? I was pathetic, only got 15.
https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian ... iz-of-2017

Mr citizen told me about it
he didn't do well


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 13647
Has thanked: 75985 times
Been thanked: 12985 times
Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2017 10:43 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9369
Has thanked: 18102 times
Been thanked: 16801 times
Night night.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Feedfetcher and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group