FlyTheNest

A haven
It is currently Sat 21 Apr, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 9:29 am 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5552
Has thanked: 1876 times
Been thanked: 9267 times
Morning!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 9:33 am 
Online
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:22 pm
Posts: 3090
Location: Wombwell, United Kingdom
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 5450 times
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Morning!

Morning. I was wondering how to title today's thread. Well done!


Last edited by refitman on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloody autocorrect


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 10:10 am 
Offline
Home Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1724
Has thanked: 12162 times
Been thanked: 3662 times
Following Sky's reference to Trump last night.
(Amongst other writings, too strange too divulge...) I found an old link to the Washington Post.
Quote:
Note : This came to me in a dream and I have transcribed it as faithfully as possible, as my hair turned slowly white with horror . The drawing above is the most faithful representation I have found of the being that whispered these things to me in an unspeakable and ancient tongue .


https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/co ... 770e8f238b
"I, Cthulhu, endorse Donald Trump"
Quote:
We will win, together, Cthulhu and Trump. We will win, and Cthulhu shall prevail . In his house at R ’ lyeh , dead Cthulhu lies dreaming a new dream and that dream is the American Dream .
Remember : A vote for Trump is a vote for Cthulhu . Ph ’ nglui mglw’ nafh C ’ thulhu R’ lyeh wgah ’ nagl fhtagn Trump.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 10:10 am 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5552
Has thanked: 1876 times
Been thanked: 9267 times
refitman wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Morning!

Morning. I was wondering how to title today's thread. Well done!

Yes it was quite a challenge :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 10:25 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9860
Has thanked: 19143 times
Been thanked: 17576 times
Good morfternoon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 11:01 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
http://careindustrynews.co.uk/2017/12/w ... ialnetwork


Warning that tens of thousands will go without much needed care and support in 2018


Last edited by HindleA on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 11:01 am 
Offline
Chief Whip

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 10:49 am
Posts: 1193
Has thanked: 484 times
Been thanked: 1816 times
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
refitman wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Morning!

Morning. I was wondering how to title today's thread. Well done!

Yes it was quite a challenge :lol:

Even bigger one if you'd included the Tuesday holiday up here! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 11:05 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 7166
Has thanked: 716 times
Been thanked: 15696 times
We added an extra day to the Christmas holiday thread, after all ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 11:24 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 6894
Has thanked: 4278 times
Been thanked: 16030 times
Morning all.

Forget to mention that 'er indoors had one of those tumour check blood tests done the other day. The first time they did one it was over 4,000...this time it was 13.5. Anything under 30 is classed as negative. So...a scan on Tuesday, two chemo sessions to go, and she'll be back to normal.

_________________
FTN's supplier of tedious, pedantic education policy waffle; and Pedant-in-Chief generally.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 11:26 am 
Online
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:22 pm
Posts: 3090
Location: Wombwell, United Kingdom
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 5450 times
RogerOThornhill wrote:
Morning all.

Forget to mention that 'er indoors had one of those tumour check blood tests done the other day. The first time they did one it was over 4,000...this time it was 13.5. Anything under 30 is classed as negative. So...a scan on Tuesday, two chemo sessions to go, and she'll be back to normal.

Now that's a Christmas present. Great news RoT!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 12:28 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
Excellent news.


Last edited by HindleA on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 12:36 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 7166
Has thanked: 716 times
Been thanked: 15696 times
Yes, some real seasonal cheer 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 1:09 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9860
Has thanked: 19143 times
Been thanked: 17576 times
@RogerOThornhill

Pleased to hear the news. That's a really good way to enter the New Year!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 1:10 pm 
Offline
Minister of State

Joined: Wed 27 Aug, 2014 5:13 am
Posts: 411
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 1054 times
RogerOThornhill wrote:
Morning all.

Forget to mention that 'er indoors had one of those tumour check blood tests done the other day. The first time they did one it was over 4,000...this time it was 13.5. Anything under 30 is classed as negative. So...a scan on Tuesday, two chemo sessions to go, and she'll be back to normal.

Great news Ron. Hopefully you two can return to a more normal life.
And also hopefully, Rafa and the lads can get me a birthday present at 3:00 against Brighton & HA.
Best wishes to all you nesters and thanks for the time spent putting up interesting links.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 1:18 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -charities


Government accused of withholding £2.5bn of Olympic legacy assets from charities


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 1:57 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 7166
Has thanked: 716 times
Been thanked: 15696 times
I know the competition can be stiff at times, but Natalie Nougayrede really is the absolutely worst journalist employed by the Graun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 2:29 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
I know the competition can be stiff at times, but Natalie Nougayrede really is the absolutely worst journalist employed by the Graun.



Quite. Unless there is an opposition prepared to oppose the Tory Brexit, it will happen faux de mieux. Corbyn is the only one who could construct a coalition around, say, customs union and single market membership, and he has no interest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 2:46 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 7166
Has thanked: 716 times
Been thanked: 15696 times
Well we agree (even if for differing reasons) that her latest piece is spectacularly delusional, but she is as terrible as that generally.

(some might suggest Simon Jenkins for the above title, and I can certainly see why, but he does have the occasional spasm of lucidity)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 3:01 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
-x + te?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 3:11 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9860
Has thanked: 19143 times
Been thanked: 17576 times
Oui.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 3:15 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Well we agree (even if for differing reasons) that her latest piece is spectacularly delusional, but she is as terrible as that generally.

(some might suggest Simon Jenkins for the above title, and I can certainly see why, but he does have the occasional spasm of lucidity)


Everyone always thinks therir own nation has more influence than it has. She just happens to be French.

You see it on here with people arguing we should renegotiate the terms of the EU. Spectacularly delusional as to the prospects for that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 3:27 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
Difficult given targeted discrimination on false basis(not to say highly hypocrital) but I don't recognise that as a contention from anybody here,certainly not as framed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 3:34 pm 
Offline
Home Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1724
Has thanked: 12162 times
Been thanked: 3662 times
Storm Dylan not expected to disrupt Hogmanay events

"Hogmanay events around the country are not expected to be seriously affected by the arrival of Storm Dylan on Sunday."
Quote:
The fourth storm of the season, Dylan will bring winds of 70 to 80mph to parts of Scotland including Edinburgh, the Lothians, the Borders and Dumfries and Galloway.

Storm Dylan will track across Ireland late on Saturday and maake its way to southern Scotland in the early hours of New Year's Eve.
A yellow weather warning for strong winds has been issued from around 2am on Sunday until around 3pm, with forecasters warning of the risk of "injuries and danger to life from flying debris".
However, experts add, the "worst of the weather" should be over by the time Hogmanay celebrations are in full swing.

Hardy breed, I'd be hiding inside.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 3:46 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
I see Labour is running again with abolishing hospital parking charges.

There has to be some kind of rationing system. It is just free lunch stuff yet again. Grim.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 4:08 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9949
Has thanked: 1615 times
Been thanked: 13032 times
SpinningHugo wrote:
I see Labour is running again with abolishing hospital parking charges.

There has to be some kind of rationing system. It is just free lunch stuff yet again. Grim.


Yeah, not great. Everybody does this sort of stuff though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 4:27 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
For Fuck sake,not a question of free lunch it is not being penalised,say three times a week for a therapy without which you would die in a few weeks,of course you can have hospital transport at vast more expense and posters suggest using DLA -which a weeks worth for purpose would have got us there not back once.Shared care should be the preferred option,how exactly do you facillitate that when penalised on a daily basis.I don't have a car or ever driven and it cost more when in hospital.when not quite willingly of course and of course if over a month all extra costs allowances are effected.We should be actively supporting such things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 4:30 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5552
Has thanked: 1876 times
Been thanked: 9267 times
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Well we agree (even if for differing reasons) that her latest piece is spectacularly delusional, but she is as terrible as that generally.

(some might suggest Simon Jenkins for the above title, and I can certainly see why, but he does have the occasional spasm of lucidity)


Everyone always thinks therir own nation has more influence than it has. She just happens to be French.

You see it on here with people arguing we should renegotiate the terms of the EU. Spectacularly delusional as to the prospects for that.

Pretty much everything that "centrist dads" have said was delusional has now happened.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 4:38 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Well we agree (even if for differing reasons) that her latest piece is spectacularly delusional, but she is as terrible as that generally.

(some might suggest Simon Jenkins for the above title, and I can certainly see why, but he does have the occasional spasm of lucidity)


Everyone always thinks therir own nation has more influence than it has. She just happens to be French.

You see it on here with people arguing we should renegotiate the terms of the EU. Spectacularly delusional as to the prospects for that.

Pretty much everything that "centrist dads" have said was delusional has now happened.



Not sure I follow? What has happened that centrist dads said was delusional? Have you examples? (NB the triumphant victory of a Corbyn led Labour party doesn't as yet count, though it could still happen of course).

Speaking as a paid up centrist dad, as I've said loudly and often, my opposition to Corbyn, and now as a result Labour, is based on his views and how disastrous he will be both for the UK and the longterm prospects of the Left, not on whether he would win.


Last edited by SpinningHugo on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 4:42 pm 
Offline
Home Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1724
Has thanked: 12162 times
Been thanked: 3662 times
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
I see Labour is running again with abolishing hospital parking charges.

There has to be some kind of rationing system. It is just free lunch stuff yet again. Grim.


Yeah, not great. Everybody does this sort of stuff though.

Scotland & Wales have both ended hospital parking charges, except for pfi funded facilities, so some degree of free parking must be feasible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 4:53 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
tinybgoat wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
I see Labour is running again with abolishing hospital parking charges.

There has to be some kind of rationing system. It is just free lunch stuff yet again. Grim.


Yeah, not great. Everybody does this sort of stuff though.

Scotland & Wales have both ended hospital parking charges, except for pfi funded facilities, so some degree of free parking must be feasible.



Yeah. Sounds great

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1471 ... _hospital/

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-3912395

http://www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/news/28716

and this story is interesting on this (if unreflective)

https://www.sundaypost.com/news/uk-news ... king-hell/

free lunches are great.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 4:56 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
Of course it is feasible,somewhat stunned at the nonsense,though after the widespread ignorance of social care evidenced perhaps I shouldn't be.Really not hard,facillitate cost saving arrangements as much as possible for both economic and in social justice terms.And don't give me the "extra costs accounted for"bollox it takes months at best and as above can be more expensive in hospital if sensible progression is the aim,which it should be IMHO.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 5:11 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 7166
Has thanked: 716 times
Been thanked: 15696 times
CARE NOT CAR PARKS!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 5:22 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
It was only after repeated legal.battles that the Government relented on the paying for a hospital bed in own home as default in some situations Anybody that has experience knows that things that most people think is "free" and/or comes under NHS doesn't necessarilly or at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 5:30 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 14353
Has thanked: 79813 times
Been thanked: 13306 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
CARE NOT CAR PARKS!!!

I like that a lot


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 5:30 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 14353
Has thanked: 79813 times
Been thanked: 13306 times
Good-evening, everyone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:01 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 14353
Has thanked: 79813 times
Been thanked: 13306 times
The monitor I use finally died this morning and I'm using a different device loaded with a different operating system.
I took the opportunity to sluice my work space and introduce another gadget to my area.
I created a clean spot.
Ten thousand things rose up needing attention, cleaning or binning.
I'm without my computer desktop images and customised folders I created.
It's surprisingly disorientating.
Of course, once a new monitor is found I'll have my work back but for now I don't.
I miss my pictures and programs.
Little things I can do with one system I can't with the other.

Thank you for reading this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:08 pm 
Offline
Home Secretary

Joined: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:23 am
Posts: 1724
Has thanked: 12162 times
Been thanked: 3662 times
SpinningHugo wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
Scotland & Wales have both ended hospital parking charges, except for pfi funded facilities, so some degree of free parking must be feasible.


Yeah. Sounds great

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1471 ... _hospital/

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-3912395

http://www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/news/28716

and this story is interesting on this (if unreflective)

https://www.sundaypost.com/news/uk-news ... king-hell/

free lunches are great.

Interesting examples,
Glasgow Queen Elizabeth & Edinburgh Royal Infirmary were both allowed to continue charging, because they were pfi hospitals, not sure what situation is now.
The Cardiff one looks like the problem is more administration - removing charges doesn't mean that some kind of rationing isn't going to be needed.
The important principle is that it shouldn't be born by the patients.

edit: realised you started out saying some kind of rationing system was needed.


Last edited by tinybgoat on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:12 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
Cja I should think so to.It was an arduous task indeed,but I managed it.

;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:13 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
tinybgoat wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
Scotland & Wales have both ended hospital parking charges, except for pfi funded facilities, so some degree of free parking must be feasible.


Yeah. Sounds great

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1471 ... _hospital/

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-3912395

http://www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/news/28716

and this story is interesting on this (if unreflective)

https://www.sundaypost.com/news/uk-news ... king-hell/

free lunches are great.

Interesting examples,
Glasgow Queen Elizabeth & Edinburgh Royal Infirmary were both allowed to continue charging, because they were pfi hospitals, not sure what situation is now.
The Cardiff one looks like the problem is more administration - removing charges doesn't mean that some kind of rationing isn't going to be needed.
The important principle is that it shouldn't be born by the patients.


As with all car usage charges, the beneficiary (ie the car owner) should pay, not me (or other patients who cannot afford to drive).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:19 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5552
Has thanked: 1876 times
Been thanked: 9267 times
SpinningHugo wrote:
As with all car usage charges, the beneficiary (ie the car owner) should pay, not me (or other patients who cannot afford to drive).

I would agree if buses to and from hospitals were very much better than they are.

I use buses on a daily basis, but if I had a sick relative in hospital I would definitely drive. The bus is far too infrequent, unreliable and slow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:31 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
Off for a break,sadly the bloody ignorance is,astounding.So on this one occasion the targeted ignoring or pretendng to has worked.P/A's with cars,people unable access buses unaided etc.Think broader and be more reflective is my clarion call.I'll be back.


Last edited by HindleA on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:38 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
As with all car usage charges, the beneficiary (ie the car owner) should pay, not me (or other patients who cannot afford to drive).

I would agree if buses to and from hospitals were very much better than they are.

I use buses on a daily basis, but if I had a sick relative in hospital I would definitely drive. The bus is far too infrequent, unreliable and slow.



Fine. If you want to do that do. I don't see why others who cannot afford that should pay for your convenience.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:43 pm 
Offline
Backbencher

Joined: Wed 27 Aug, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 55
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 159 times
What part of ‘we’re not all able / well enough to jump on a bus to hospital’ do you not understand, SH.

My particular bugbear with hospital car park charges is when you’ve dashed to A&E without any money / bank card because like, it was an emergency involving your nearest & dearest. This has happened to me more than once.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:47 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
MsChin wrote:
What part of ‘we’re not all able / well enough to jump on a bus to hospital’ do you not understand, SH.

My particular bugbear with hospital car park charges is when you’ve dashed to A&E without any money / bank card because like, it was an emergency involving your nearest & dearest. This has happened to me more than once.


If you're rich enough to run a car you can choose to go by bus or pay the reasonable parking fee.

Other people unlucky enough not to have that choice, because of poverty or otherwise, should not have to subsidize you.

I don't like these middle class subsidies.

Because I'm leftwing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 7:06 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:10 pm
Posts: 10858
Has thanked: 27084 times
Been thanked: 15298 times
RogerOThornhill wrote:
Morning all.

Forget to mention that 'er indoors had one of those tumour check blood tests done the other day. The first time they did one it was over 4,000...this time it was 13.5. Anything under 30 is classed as negative. So...a scan on Tuesday, two chemo sessions to go, and she'll be back to normal.


Oh well done. I know the relief you must be feeling.

_________________
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 7:13 pm 
Online
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:22 pm
Posts: 3090
Location: Wombwell, United Kingdom
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 5450 times
SpinningHugo wrote:
MsChin wrote:
What part of ‘we’re not all able / well enough to jump on a bus to hospital’ do you not understand, SH.

My particular bugbear with hospital car park charges is when you’ve dashed to A&E without any money / bank card because like, it was an emergency involving your nearest & dearest. This has happened to me more than once.


If you're rich enough to run a car you can choose to go by bus or pay the reasonable parking fee.

Other people unlucky enough not to have that choice, because of poverty or otherwise, should not have to subsidize you.

I don't like these middle class subsidies.

Because I'm leftwing.

And, as mentioned above, when it's an emergency and you don't have time to wait 45 mins for a bus?

Not everyone who has a car is swimming in money. You might want to take some time to put yourself in others positions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 7:16 pm 
Online
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:22 pm
Posts: 3090
Location: Wombwell, United Kingdom
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 5450 times
You're the same with trains. Pump up the prices, only the middle class use them and they can afford to pay through the nose. The poor can just not travel, 'cause they don't need to go anywhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 7:19 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 14353
Has thanked: 79813 times
Been thanked: 13306 times
It's currently less expensive to own and operate a motor vehicle than it is to rely upon public transportation. Mr citizen and I pay a price for not keeping a motor vehicle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 7:30 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 19719
Has thanked: 16643 times
Been thanked: 29311 times
Indeed the train was the only reasonable way to travel any distance.To go to hospital for visiting ,given necessary specialisation a bus,a train and usually taxi.We had hospital transport /sometimes taxi (£50-£100 a journey) but used PA and car when we could,of course it isn't just the "patient" that may or may not use the car park and as above staying and attending to the needs relieves staff,may be essential during the treatment/appointment.So according to SH I was middle class,subsidised but only partly.It is nonsense of course.We even saved up and went to Liverpool,dialysis gear on board,by taxi.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2017 7:47 pm 
Online
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:22 pm
Posts: 3090
Location: Wombwell, United Kingdom
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 5450 times
HindleA wrote:
Indeed the train was the only reasonable way to travel any distance.To go to hospital for visiting ,given necessary specialisation a bus,a train and usually taxi.We had hospital transport /sometimes taxi (£50-£100 a journey) but used PA and car when we could,of course it isn't just the "patient" that may or may not use the car park and as above staying and attending to the needs relieves staff,may be essential during the treatment/appointment.So according to SH I was middle class,subsidised but only partly.It is nonsense of course.We even saved up and went to Liverpool,dialysis gear on board,by taxi.

Well said Hindle.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], PaulfromYorkshire, PorFavor, refitman, RogerOThornhill and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group