Monday 22nd January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 22nd January 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Monday 22nd January 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

@Debbie_abrahams
35 minutes ago
More
Whistleblower claims as many as 80 people died over Christmas as a result of ambulance delays in East of England.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... l-suggests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/am ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK government questions Scottish bid to show Britain can alone revoke Brexit
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Not much reason to hope in this survey of our parliamentary representatives I fear:

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/survey-of-mps-reve ... er-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Almost two-thirds of Conservative MPs (65%) agreed that ‘no deal is better than a bad deal’
With ex-Tory ministers allegedly advising Chinese billionaires how to cash in on Brexit and a majority of Tory voters worried about the state of the NHS - but not enough to stop voting Tory - it's hard to see how we get off our current self-destructive path.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:Not much reason to hope in this survey of our parliamentary representatives I fear:

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/survey-of-mps-reve ... er-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Almost two-thirds of Conservative MPs (65%) agreed that ‘no deal is better than a bad deal’
With ex-Tory ministers allegedly advising Chinese billionaires how to cash in on Brexit and a majority of Tory voters worried about the state of the NHS - but not enough to stop voting Tory - it's hard to see how we get off our current self-destructive path.
I think this is true. It seems to be the case that there is a majority in the conservative party in the country for the most extreme path but it has seemed that this might be less true for the conservative party in parliament - that appears not to be the case from this. The majority of them appear to demand something which simply is not available, which they must know is simply not available (and I apologise for the shouty writing but there really seems no other way) but which they are continuing to demand anyway.

I still think - and will continue to think until proved wrong by events - that when push comes to shove such tory rebels as there are will not risk the forcing of a general election, and I still think - and will continue to think until proved wrong by events - that the likelihood of the government choosing to go to the polls before 2022 is vanishingly small at the moment, and is likely to get smaller as things get worse and labour maintain or extend a small poll lead (which I say despite what we all know about opinion polls). I think it's hugely likely that May will follow what she thinks is right and, for that matter, necessary for her party rather than for the country and will pursue nonsense rather than sense.
I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good summary from Tony Yates.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deep state rep of yesteryear

@t0nyyates
1h1 hour ago
More
And all new FTAs will confront the UK with the same connundrum that Brexiteers want to escape from now. The need to establish regulatory harmony to facilitate trade and forfeit sovereignty so that it can be adjudicated fairly.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:Not much reason to hope in this survey of our parliamentary representatives I fear:

Yet.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Yet.
It does raise questions of what on earth it would take.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

On past evidence, things getting bad enough for long enough.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Mike Hookem resigns as Ukip's assistant deputy leader
Do they have a deputy assistant deputy leader? And, if so, does s\he have an assistant?

Edited to add - the above quote is attributable to Politics Live, Guardian
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And its not that surprising, even if depressing, that many Tory MPs still want free unicorns (a caveat that it was apparently a self-selecting sample, however)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Yet.
The tipping point often happens in an astonishingly short period of time instigated by a small number of people turning the tide, stopping a bad course.
A tipping point may not happen at all, we proceed down a self-destructive path, arrive in some pretty shit. I hope for the former.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:And its not that surprising, even if depressing, that many Tory MPs still want free unicorns (a caveat that it was apparently a self-selecting sample, however)
They've got to have something wrong with them thinking it'll work out okay. Inadequate education, I guess.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:And its not that surprising, even if depressing, that many Tory MPs still want free unicorns (a caveat that it was apparently a self-selecting sample, however)
They think they'd get them if only those pesky Eurocrats weren't plotting.
The Times (paywall) says European Union leaders in Brussels have drawn up a secret high-risk strategy to undermine Theresa May and exploit Westminster’s political divisions with the objective of “softening” Brexit.
In a plan being co-ordinated by Donald Tusk, president of the European Council, the EU is preparing to reject British government proposals for a bespoke sectoral deal when negotiations begin in April.

Instead European leaders will insist that if the government sticks to its red lines of pulling out of Europe’s customs union and single market then the EU will offer nothing more than a limited free trade agreement.
Spectacular spin from the Times.
'Secret high-risk strategy' = what the EU have been saying in public from day one.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... d-obituary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ann Pettifor‏
@AnnPettifor
Following @AnnPettifor
“Flooded with debt: regulatory capital in the UK water industry.” https://www.ft.com/content/b7e28a58-f7b ... 65a6ce1a00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:Ann Pettifor‏
@AnnPettifor
Following @AnnPettifor
“Flooded with debt: regulatory capital in the UK water industry.” https://www.ft.com/content/b7e28a58-f7b ... 65a6ce1a00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Ah, another privatisation success.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I found this and the BTL discussion quite interesting

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2018 ... ion-wrong/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the-centre-for-policy-studies-has-get-every-part-of-its-scare-story-on-the-cost-of-nationalisation-wrong
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Quiet today, isn't it?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Quiet today, isn't it?
You can correct this if the Rowson doesn't come out :-)

https://newint.org/sites/default/files/ ... on-top.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://newint.org/blog/2018/01/18/UK-exporting-PPPs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would you take advice on PFI/PPP's from this man ?
Last edited by refitman on Mon 22 Jan, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: fixed image link
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Grrr
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I see that Blair has been holding forth on stuff today, again.

Again he is urging us to be chummy with Trump - is he after a job?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

When's this Theresa May speech thing happening (or have I missed it, jumped the gun, or totally misunderstood)?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:When's this Theresa May speech thing happening (or have I missed it, jumped the gun, or totally misunderstood)?
Eh?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

the apples purchased yesterday were every one of them badly bruised all over - it wasn't obvious until they were out of the bag
I think they were picked up off the ground
they taste horrid
I'll have to put them into a honey-brandy-rhubarb crumble
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:When's this Theresa May speech thing happening (or have I missed it, jumped the gun, or totally misunderstood)?
Eh?
Oh.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Business leaders are privately pushing for a new campaign to reverse Brexit as concerns mount about the viability of government plans to prevent a collapse in exports to Europe.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rse-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... te-mistake
French president says UK took risk in way it let voters decide ‘very complicated subject’
No F***ing kidding
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Eh?
Oh.
One day in Ftn-land, it was quiet, so PorFavor & citizenJA formed a Teletubby tribute act...
[youtube]FItP77HqV9c[/youtube]
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Of which T3 (T the T T) was the manager
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

@frog222 - make sure both the 'img' tags are on the same line as the link to the image. Your close tag keeps appearing on the next line.

Fixed your post above.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Munich - next month (the speech - on defence).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Munich - next month (the speech - on defence).
I've got it pencilled in
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

What could possibly go wrong?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I see that Blair has been holding forth on stuff today, again.

Again he is urging us to be chummy with Trump - is he after a job?

Not, of course, anything remotely like anything he said. Probably what you'd like him to say

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/lo ... 46236.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"No matter what you think of Donald Trump, Britain has to keep its relationship with America strong.”"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
What could possibly go wrong?
I've an eraser on my pencil
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

sharp as tack, me
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good evening

Poor old Tony....sad when I cannot summon the energy to argue against him now as he is so discredited......having no discernible principles catches up with you eventually

He likes autocratic rich people now doesn't he....so expect he is pretty up for Trump
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/ther ... 46496.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Theresa May is to meet Donald Trump at the Davos summit of world leaders — which opened today with a warning that Britain will fail to see economic growth pick up as other nations surge ahead."
looks a bit like someone threw lots of loosely connected quotes together:
A Treasury spokeswoman said: “We are building a Britain that is fit for the future by improving skills, backing innovation and investing in infrastructure to deliver a stronger economy and guarantee a better future for the next generation.”
A guarantee, no less. More snake oil.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

there's a new John Crace article
hurrah
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/ther ... 46496.html
"Theresa May is to meet Donald Trump at the Davos summit of world leaders — which opened today with a warning that Britain will fail to see economic growth pick up as other nations surge ahead."
looks a bit like someone threw lots of loosely connected quotes together:
A Treasury spokeswoman said: “We are building a Britain that is fit for the future by improving skills, backing innovation and investing in infrastructure to deliver a stronger economy and guarantee a better future for the next generation.”
A guarantee, no less. More snake oil.

Could have saved time by simply saying, "Stronger and stabler."
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:@frog222 - make sure both the 'img' tags are on the same line as the link to the image. Your close tag keeps appearing on the next line.

Fixed your post above.
THANKS !

I looked but didn't see that difference .

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I've not explored this blog so not sure where it's starting point is, as far as Brexit (see adverts on the side) but it's still an interesting view on DD

Brexit: a Walter Mitty (sometimes) in Brussels

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..and

Brexit: disaster capitalism

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Just looked the author up - I feel I should have known him - he is a brexiteer)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222 wrote:
refitman wrote:@frog222 - make sure both the 'img' tags are on the same line as the link to the image. Your close tag keeps appearing on the next line.

Fixed your post above.
THANKS !

I looked but didn't see that difference .
Your original post was like this:

Code: Select all

[img]https://newint.org/sites/default/files/u56/2018-01-17-PPPs-Martin-Rowson-top.jpg
[/img]
It needs to all be on one line:

Code: Select all

[img]https://newint.org/sites/default/files/u56/2018-01-17-PPPs-Martin-Rowson-top.jpg[/img]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Anger at nearly £4k disabled parking bay charge

Cornwall Council charges applicants for a disabled bay thousands of pounds but elsewhere people pay nothing.

Councillor Richard Pears said the authority is "effectively charging people for being disabled" and the cost should be subsidised.

Cornwall Council said the £3,800 cost is for a Traffic Regulation Order, advertising, public consultation and painting the new bay.

However, once installed the space does not guarantee parking for an individual as it is available for any disabled person to use. (BBC News website)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42772258
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Have we had this? If we have, sorry.
Business leaders push for new campaign to reverse Brexit

Senior figures in CBI urge lobby group to toughen its message amid concerns over exports

Business leaders are privately pushing for a new campaign to reverse Brexit as concerns mount about the viability of government plans to prevent a collapse in exports to Europe. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rse-brexit

Edited to re-url
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Which didn't work. Houston, we have . . .
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:Which didn't work. Houston, we have . . .
Fixed for you ;-)