Friday 26th January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 26th January 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Re: Friday 26th January 2018

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.cityam.com/279507/not-city-r ... nner-rival" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"'Not the City I recognise': Morrissey launches Presidents Club rival event"
Damn, wrong Morrissey, now that might have been interesting.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.cityam.com/279508/david-davi ... ition-even" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"David Davis: We will negotiate trade deals during transition, even if we're "replicating" customs union"
According to documents published this week, the EU expects all its laws and regulations to apply during the transition period, however the UK will not participate in the decision-making of the EU, meaning the country will have no say on any laws created during the transition period. Davis said on Wednesday there might be "issues" with this demand.
Brussels is also expected to demand freedom of movement continue throughout the transition period, which Prime Minister Theresa May has previously ruled out.
So When Davis says replication he's really after a fuzzy carbon copy, and readers are meant to either be unaware or in denial that what the big, bad EU's likely to offer has been clear for months.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/ ... -as-editor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just checked who editor of CityAm is (Christian May)
previously worked at Westminster-based Media
Intelligence Partners, the PR and political consultancy set up by Nick Wood, the former press secretary and media director to Tory party leaders William Hague and Iain Duncan Smith.
City AM is understood to be keen to take a more Eurosceptic tone.
Explains a lot.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://consult.education.gov.uk/he-fun ... or-claims/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open consultation

Golden Hello: Proposed end date for claims
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... in-in-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Guardian view on the cost of squalor: Britain in 2018
Editorial
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

A sliver of good news on the ongoing saga of Huddersfield Royal Infirmary

https://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yo ... t-14203651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hunt has passed the closure proposals to the Independent Review Panel.

Anyone who can help please do. I know some centralisation in hospitals can make sense, but this change seems to be purely finance driven. A major urban centre like Huddersfield (Kirklees has a population of 422,000) should have a fully functioning hospital IMHO.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... tless.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Stevens: "Rees-Mogg and Johnson have a point – Brexit may indeed be pointless"
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote “Hell is other people”. At least the European Union offered us company that, however infernal to many, was at least prepared to share decision taking with us, and with whom, in many vital areas, such as finance and defence, not to mention language, we were I believe much more than merely first amongst equals. Sartre’s famous quotation comes of course in his (one act) play, “No Exit”.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Glad to read that the Hindles have landed.

Poxy Music - how apt. And "Dial N for Nurder" - hilarious.

And I suggest that people keep their long-johns on. Remember: " 'Ne'er cast a clout till May be out'.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Forgot to have haggis.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Of course I am going with Derbyshire (Matlock)making for heavyweight boxer Sullivan derivation.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:Forgot to have haggis.
It's not too late,there's sure to be some reduced in the shops & Sky's recipe suggestions may be worth investigating... ;)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I wear them.everyday,compulsory.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:I wear them.everyday,compulsory.
English farm-workers working the fields in their winter clothes throughout the month of May could suffer from heat exhaustion if they kept all their winter layers on until the end of May!
Be warned!
https://idiomation.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... ay-is-out/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/01/26/sp ... ft-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Splits widen in May’s cabinet and party as Varadakar comes closer to backing Hammond’s version of a soft Brexit"
Brexit politics is hotting up amid the snows of Davos. The Brexiteer house paper the Daily Telegraph reports remarks from Taoiseach Leo Varadkar taking a soft Brexit line close to Chancellor Philip Hammond’s in the Swiss resort. Hammond is the key figure here. He has lit the blue touch paper to ignite the Tory right and earned himself a rebuke from a No 10 which is trying to damp down the first flickers of new surge against Theresa May’s weak leadership.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

There are lots of 'lets get real' opportunities for May at the moment and she is showing absolutely no sign at all of taking any of them. It seems more likely that if she does shift further to Hammond then she will have to fight and survive a confidence vote of the parliamentary conservative party - I think we've had this story already but it's said that the chair has asked tory backbenchers not to write to him requesting a confidence vote because he's so close to the 48 threshold.
I still believe in a town called Hope
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

adam wrote:There are lots of 'lets get real' opportunities for May at the moment and she is showing absolutely no sign at all of taking any of them. It seems more likely that if she does shift further to Hammond then she will have to fight and survive a confidence vote of the parliamentary conservative party - I think we've had this story already but it's said that the chair has asked tory backbenchers not to write to him requesting a confidence vote because he's so close to the 48 threshold.
Man who got honoured in New Years Honours list not wishing to upset apple cart shocker :) :) :) :)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

discordantharmony wrote:
adam wrote:There are lots of 'lets get real' opportunities for May at the moment and she is showing absolutely no sign at all of taking any of them. It seems more likely that if she does shift further to Hammond then she will have to fight and survive a confidence vote of the parliamentary conservative party - I think we've had this story already but it's said that the chair has asked tory backbenchers not to write to him requesting a confidence vote because he's so close to the 48 threshold.
Man who got honoured in New Years Honours list not wishing to upset apple cart shocker :) :) :) :)
You do wonder if what he's done is effectively put up a sign saying 'do not press the red button'.
I still believe in a town called Hope
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

She is an almost unbelievably bad politician. Lacking the basic skills for the job.

The problem for the Tories is the lack of any credible candidate. Hammond or rudd would be their best bet, but the Brexiteers hate them. That JRM is the bookies favourite shows you how utterly crazy the Tories have become.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/br ... ive-leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're so stuffed. Utterly hopeless. Their only hope is the uselessness of the opposition.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

JRM is not going to be the next Tory leader, even after everything else that has happened in the last few years.

Bookies odds on these things are notoriously unreliable, you only have too look at the betting on "next Labour leader" in the Sept '15-June '17 period to see that.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

On John McDonnell in Davos

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-davo ... SKBN1FE2ZH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ever the campaigner, McDonnell said that he’d prefer be at home in his west London constituency talking to voters rather than in the Swiss mountains, but that it had been his “duty” to come to Davos and set out Labour’s position.

“It’s part of my job. I’d rather be back in Hayes and Harlington to be honest ... or I’d rather be at a public meeting somewhere up north in England,” he said. “This is beautiful, but I haven’t got time for the view.”
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:

She is an almost unbelievably bad politician. Lacking the basic skills for the job.

The problem for the Tories is the lack of any credible candidate. Hammond or rudd would be their best bet, but the Brexiteers hate them. That JRM is the bookies favourite shows you how utterly crazy the Tories have become.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/br ... ive-leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're so stuffed. Utterly hopeless. Their only hope is the uselessness of the opposition.
So not utterly hopeless then? ;-)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

So not utterly hopeless then? ;-)
touché
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:JRM is not going to be the next Tory leader, even after everything else that has happened in the last few years.

Bookies odds on these things are notoriously unreliable, you only have too look at the betting on "next Labour leader" in the Sept '15-June '17 period to see that.

Well quite, Starmer was favourite (!!!) at around 4/1 for ages. He is now 16/1, people now having seen him in action.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not as daft as Hilary Benn being favourite to succeed Corbyn for much of the time before the last GE, Chuka had genuinely laughable odds too.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Not as daft as Hilary Benn being favourite to succeed Corbyn for much of the time before the last GE, Chuka had genuinely laughable odds too.

Well, you can see how punters had not quite grasped that the Labour party membership of 2017 didn't remotely resemble the membership of 2010l
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

@PFY

I find the Block facility on that Twitter useful in separating the wheat from the chaff....
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... tless.html
John Stevens: "Rees-Mogg and Johnson have a point – Brexit may indeed be pointless"
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote “Hell is other people”. At least the European Union offered us company that, however infernal to many, was at least prepared to share decision taking with us, and with whom, in many vital areas, such as finance and defence, not to mention language, we were I believe much more than merely first amongst equals. Sartre’s famous quotation comes of course in his (one act) play, “No Exit”.
Interesting if he's correct and the arch-brexiteers are getting cold feet/ confronting reality !

I put the 'but' in shouty capitals ---

And again, it goes without saying that they are both right to defend the particular importance for us of the US alliance, which has for so long been the single most defining feature of our place in the world. BUT both should also perhaps recognise, in the light of the Brexit debate, that many Leavers, including ironically those who mirror most closely President Trump’s instinctive populist isolationism and protectionism, will see in such deference a considerable degree of rule-taking, not to say vassal-state status,...

Plenty of opportunity for reflexion there :-)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Not as daft as Hilary Benn being favourite to succeed Corbyn for much of the time before the last GE, Chuka had genuinely laughable odds too.

Well, you can see how punters had not quite grasped that the Labour party membership of 2017 didn't remotely resemble the membership of 2010l
Because they believed the rubbish in the media, possibly?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:@PFY

I find the Block facility on that Twitter useful in separating the wheat from the chaff....
:lol:

I don't do much blocking.

In fact I just checked and I have blocked three accounts only. Two I have no idea why! The other is one of the Cure the NHS brigade (but not St Julie herself)

I'm minded to unblock them all again now.

Strangely I've rarely felt rattled by Tweets. Perhaps it takes more than 280 characters to get under my skin ;-)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:@PFY

:lol:

I don't do much blocking.

In fact I just checked and I have blocked three accounts only. Two I have no idea why! The other is one of the Cure the NHS brigade (but not St Julie herself)

I'm minded to unblock them all again now.

Strangely I've rarely felt rattled by Tweets. Perhaps it takes more than 280 characters to get under my skin ;-)
Now there's a blast from the (albeit relatively recent) past......
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Is the UKIP party officially over

http://www.yourthurrock.com/2018/01/26/ ... new-party/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All UKIP councillors in Thurrock have joined the local independents.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Wow, that will include Tim Aker (their candidate there at the last GE, who got easily UKIP's best result anywhere in the country)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good afternoon

I generally don't block - it is good to see how bizarre some people's posts are

Can I just ask why we are continually revisiting the Labour leadership and the 'odds' of the next one?

I know some people are psychologically unable to move on easily from disappointments but the repetition with no arguments becomes a little wearisome

Mind you after the unpleasant post about Tessa Jowell yesterday it is possibly better that we stick to more mundane topics
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Wow, that will include Tim Aker (their candidate there at the last GE, who got easily UKIP's best result anywhere in the country)
Yes it does feel quite symbolic.

Isn't it great that we no longer have any significant extreme right wing parties in the UK?

Oh...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Is the UKIP party officially over

http://www.yourthurrock.com/2018/01/26/ ... new-party/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All UKIP councillors in Thurrock have joined the local independents.
Over ages ago - it's just that they can't bring themselves to face it. Or in Farage's case he wants to keep his face in the media. So far he - aided and abetted by the BBC who really should know better - he's doing a good job of it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Nice

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeremy Corbyn on Mary Wollstonecraft
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Glad the HindleA's made it safely to their destination
Friends everywhere welcome
I love you dearly
:rock:
:heart:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Hmm
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 16.03.20.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 16.03.20.png (42.84 KiB) Viewed 11541 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tory party has projection issues
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

If Davd Davis and Philip Hammond are as one, why was it necessary for No 10 to issue a statement slapping down the latter (other than as a sop to Jacob Rees Mogg et al - but even then, it doesn't make sense)? And - a forlorn question - does anyone here know what David Davis is talking about?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:If Davd Davis and Philip Hammond are as one, why was it necessary for No 10 to issue a statement slapping down the latter (other than as a sop to Jacob Rees Mogg et al - but even then, it doesn't make sense)? And - a forlorn question - does anyone here know what David Davis is talking about?
Seeing as he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about himself, this seems unlikely :twisted:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Owen Paterson, a Conservative MP and former cabinet minister, tweeted a warning directly to Hammond and David Davis, the Brexit secretary...
Arguing that ministers should have been in Davos trumpeting the benefits of Brexit, he told the Guardian: “It would be good if all cabinet ministers stuck to government policy.”"
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ceptic-mps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 16.03.20.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 16.03.20.png (36.45 KiB) Viewed 11520 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Only thing worse than b******s in leadership are ludicrous b******s in leadership
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tim Fenton scathing about the Groan's new Deputy Political Editor

https://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2018 ... chant.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guardian-hires-smear-merchant
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Bonnylad wrote:
brilliant
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Britain Elects

@britainelects
51m51 minutes ago
More
Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 42% (+3)
CON: 39% (+2)
LDEM: 9% (-)
UKIP: 3% (-1)
GRN: 2% (-2)

via @IpsosMORI, 19 - 23 Jan
Chgs. w/ Nov
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Jogging bottoms and Clem Attlee t-shirt trainers,,more formal attire for Labour party candidature visitations.(thermals underneath)

PTO
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 26 Jan, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.