FlyTheNest

A haven
It is currently Mon 21 May, 2018 12:32 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 7:10 am 
Online
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:22 pm
Posts: 3116
Location: Wombwell, United Kingdom
Has thanked: 837 times
Been thanked: 5528 times
Morning all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 7:42 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
tinybgoat

The US links you gave last night are about a different experience altogether than London.

In the US the problem is complete deregulation. So developers build large units for the rich, but fewer units overall.

We need to regulate for density (ie you must build X units) not for price. The higher the price the better the quality (all other things being equal) and so, overtime, the better the improvement of the housing stock.

We need smarter regulation, not no regulation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 7:42 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 20000
Has thanked: 16728 times
Been thanked: 29635 times
Morning

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mill ... -practices


"Millions to benefit from enhanced rights as government responds to Taylor review of modern working practices"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 7:53 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 20000
Has thanked: 16728 times
Been thanked: 29635 times
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -up-to-4bn


Tesco equal pay claim could cost supermarket up to £4bn


FWIW I got a fair few grand ,some years as a home help for the Council in lieu of taking action


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 8:37 am 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5752
Has thanked: 1935 times
Been thanked: 9559 times
To say Bernard Jenkin is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land would be a gross insult to the government of Cloud Cuckoo Land, who would surely have educated him better.

How can these Tories just come back again and say there will be a customs border with the EU, but no there won't be tariffs from the EU and no there won't be a border in Ireland either?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 9:39 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 1:40 pm
Posts: 4651
Has thanked: 9894 times
Been thanked: 11594 times
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... ssion=true

Quote:
Foreign leaders think UK has 'lost the plot' by pursuing Brexit, says a former head diplomat
Sir Simon Fraser accuses Theresa May of 'mushy thinking' over her promise of a new 'Global Britain' outside the EU – branding it just a 'slogan'

_________________
“Find a nice, self sufficient hilltop, and fortify it.” - The Kraken Wakes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 9:46 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 1:40 pm
Posts: 4651
Has thanked: 9894 times
Been thanked: 11594 times
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42973419

Quote:
Germany coalition talks: Merkel's conservatives and SPD clinch deal

_________________
“Find a nice, self sufficient hilltop, and fortify it.” - The Kraken Wakes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 10:53 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 20000
Has thanked: 16728 times
Been thanked: 29635 times
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... funding-uk


Councils give cautious welcome to extra £150m for social care
Cash injection is a temporary measure that will not ease wider pressures, local authorities warn

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publ ... 6/HCWS451/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 11:19 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:35 pm
Posts: 5851
Has thanked: 10499 times
Been thanked: 7246 times
(EU) Position paper "Transitional Arrangements in the Withdrawal Agreement"

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/publica ... reement_en


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 11:22 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:35 pm
Posts: 5851
Has thanked: 10499 times
Been thanked: 7246 times
Just-in-time: The production system Brexit is set to sabotage

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... o-sabotage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 11:23 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
History of Labour

https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and- ... bour-party


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 11:56 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 7291
Has thanked: 729 times
Been thanked: 15899 times
Very decent result for Labour in yesterday's Welsh Assembly byelection, especially given the tragic circumstances of the vacancy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
How utterly pathetic Greg Hands and Rachael Maskell were on the Daily Politics.


Boooooooooo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 12:01 pm 
Offline
First Secretary of State

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 3208
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 5544 times
SpinningHugo wrote:
How utterly pathetic Greg Hands and Rachael Maskell were on the Daily Politics.


Boooooooooo.



I bet they weren't quite as bad as this post - can you explain what the point of your comment was?

What did they discuss?
Why were they 'pathetic'? etc, etc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 12:09 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 7291
Has thanked: 729 times
Been thanked: 15899 times
Willow904 wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42973419

Quote:
Germany coalition talks: Merkel's conservatives and SPD clinch deal


Hopefully the SPD membership will tell its leaders what they can do with it :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 12:14 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 6993
Has thanked: 4326 times
Been thanked: 16276 times
SpinningHugo wrote:


That was last week. So, was it any good?

_________________
FTN's supplier of tedious, pedantic education policy waffle; and Pedant-in-Chief generally.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 12:14 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 1:40 pm
Posts: 4651
Has thanked: 9894 times
Been thanked: 11594 times
They discussed how they're not going to discuss what the UK wants from Brexit. Greg Hands kept saying he can't say anything about our objectives because that's for the negotiation and Andrew Neil kept saying that the EU has published its objectives so where is our equivalent and Greg Hands said he can't say as that's for the negotiations..... and so on round in circles.

Maskell just said Labour would have done things differently and little else. She didn't seem to have much to contribute at all and also didn't want to discuss what the UK is trying to achieve by Brexit.

_________________
“Find a nice, self sufficient hilltop, and fortify it.” - The Kraken Wakes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline
First Secretary of State

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 3208
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 5544 times
Willow904 wrote:
They discussed how they're not going to discuss what the UK wants from Brexit. Greg Hands kept saying he can't say anything about our objectives because that's for the negotiation and Andrew Neil kept saying that the EU has published its objectives so where is our equivalent and Greg Hands said he can't say as that's for the negotiations..... and so on round in circles.

Maskell just said Labour would have done things differently and little else. She didn't seem to have much to contribute at all and also didn't want to discuss what the UK is trying to achieve by Brexit.


That is more informative, thanks Willow

I don't blame them really - that is what I would do if I was them, avoid saying anything

There is a vacuum at the moment and the media is looking for anything they can make a story out of - I bet everyone is trying to avoid Brexit questions!

The situation is such that anything more substantive has to come from senior party leaders

There are only bad or worse options at the moment - there is no policy that will be popular and so until we get something more concrete about what the final state will be then I bet no-one will say much

The consequences of the withdrawal agreement and the transition will come in to view soon eneough and that may be enough to provoke some more 'risky' interventions. At least Labour have a respionse to the second one of those questions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 12:24 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:


That was last week. So, was it any good?



I think so, you can watch it online at the link,


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 12:42 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 7291
Has thanked: 729 times
Been thanked: 15899 times
Willow904 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-brexit-foreign-government-remain-theresa-may-simon-fraser-eu-withdrawal-global-influence-a8197416.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Quote:
Foreign leaders think UK has 'lost the plot' by pursuing Brexit, says a former head diplomat
Sir Simon Fraser accuses Theresa May of 'mushy thinking' over her promise of a new 'Global Britain' outside the EU – branding it just a 'slogan'


"Global Britain" is just a slogan?? Say it ain't so!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 1:08 pm 
Offline
First Secretary of State

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 3208
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 5544 times
Just read the responses to PMQ over at the G - wow, it is only when you see the questions and the answers written down to you see the absolute waste of time this charade is.

There are no questions where she actually answers, apart from the plants. The rest is just pathetic. PMQ has always been a bit like this but Cameron took it down a very long way and May has continued

Just like there seems to be no consequence for lying now, Cameron and May see that no-one looks at the questions or answers....it is just who can give the most unpleasant personal attack and, to be fair to labour, neither Miliband or Corbyn tend to go in for that approach with as much gusto as their opponents


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 1:28 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9998
Has thanked: 19449 times
Been thanked: 17774 times
Code:
May refuses to rule out US getting access to NHS contracts as part of trade deal with UK

Sir Vince Cable, the Lib Dem leader, says America wants access to NHS contracts as part of a future UK-US trade deal. Will May exclude the NHS?

May says they have only just started talking to the US. She will go into those talks trying to get the best deal for the UK.

    May refuses to rule out US being able to bid for NHS contracts as part of post-Brexit trade deal.

(Politics Live, Guardian)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 1:28 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9998
Has thanked: 19449 times
Been thanked: 17774 times
I don't know what happened there (above).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 1:31 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5752
Has thanked: 1935 times
Been thanked: 9559 times
PorFavor wrote:
I don't know what happened there (above).

I think you clicked
Code:
code
rather than
Quote:
quote


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 1:34 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5752
Has thanked: 1935 times
Been thanked: 9559 times
Re PMQs

Inevitably the chorus of #FBPE Tweeters were having a right go at Corbyn for not having mentioned Brexit, despite him having absolutely nailed May on crime.

Then Hilary Benn completely floored her on customs union / Irish border.

I'm sure they are all apologising for these unwarranted and counterproductive attacks on Labour.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 1:53 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9998
Has thanked: 19449 times
Been thanked: 17774 times
Oh - good morfternoon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:03 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 9998
Has thanked: 19449 times
Been thanked: 17774 times
Quote:
Vince Cable

@vincecable

Pathetic non-committal response to my question at #PMQs stands in stark contrast to guarantees given by EU trade negotiator with US that #NHS would be protected. Brexit Britain in a far weaker negotiating position.
1:30 PM - Feb 7, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:04 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 7291
Has thanked: 729 times
Been thanked: 15899 times
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Re PMQs

Inevitably the chorus of #FBPE Tweeters were having a right go at Corbyn for not having mentioned Brexit, despite him having absolutely nailed May on crime.

Then Hilary Benn completely floored her on customs union / Irish border.

I'm sure they are all apologising for these unwarranted and counterproductive attacks on Labour.


Benn Jnr and Corbyn working together?

Things must be looking up ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:13 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5752
Has thanked: 1935 times
Been thanked: 9559 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Re PMQs

Inevitably the chorus of #FBPE Tweeters were having a right go at Corbyn for not having mentioned Brexit, despite him having absolutely nailed May on crime.

Then Hilary Benn completely floored her on customs union / Irish border.

I'm sure they are all apologising for these unwarranted and counterproductive attacks on Labour.


Benn Jnr and Corbyn working together?

Things must be looking up ;)

Indeed!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:18 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5752
Has thanked: 1935 times
Been thanked: 9559 times
Hilary Benn‏
@hilarybennmp
No answer from the PM just now to my question on why she is so determined to leave a customs union with the EU when this would be completely incompatible with keeping an open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

@GavinBarwell
Replying to @hilarybennmp
.@hilarybennmp She gave a very clear answer: staying in the Customs Union would prevent us from doing trade deals with other countries

@hilarybennmp
Thanks, but that wasn't the question I asked. It was about how we keep the Northern Ireland border with the Republic without checks or infrastructure if we are leaving the customs union and replacing it with a free trade agreement.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:27 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Re PMQs

Inevitably the chorus of #FBPE Tweeters were having a right go at Corbyn for not having mentioned Brexit, despite him having absolutely nailed May on crime.

Then Hilary Benn completely floored her on customs union / Irish border.

I'm sure they are all apologising for these unwarranted and counterproductive attacks on Labour.


Benn Jnr and Corbyn working together?

Things must be looking up ;)



What gave you the impression they were working together?

Corbyn (very almost) never asks about Brexit, and if Benn is called that is what he is certain to ask about.

Of course Benn could have asked Corbyn a near identical question on the customs union/Ireland with regard to Labour's position (and would have received much the same reply),


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:40 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5752
Has thanked: 1935 times
Been thanked: 9559 times
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Re PMQs

Inevitably the chorus of #FBPE Tweeters were having a right go at Corbyn for not having mentioned Brexit, despite him having absolutely nailed May on crime.

Then Hilary Benn completely floored her on customs union / Irish border.

I'm sure they are all apologising for these unwarranted and counterproductive attacks on Labour.


Benn Jnr and Corbyn working together?

Things must be looking up ;)



What gave you the impression they were working together?

Corbyn (very almost) never asks about Brexit, and if Benn is called that is what he is certain to ask about.

Of course Benn could have asked Corbyn a near identical question on the customs union/Ireland with regard to Labour's position (and would have received much the same reply),

:roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9949
Has thanked: 1615 times
Been thanked: 13032 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42973419

Quote:
Germany coalition talks: Merkel's conservatives and SPD clinch deal


Hopefully the SPD membership will tell its leaders what they can do with it :twisted:


Am told it's likely to pass with the membership. I hope so.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:00 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9949
Has thanked: 1615 times
Been thanked: 13032 times
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Re PMQs

Inevitably the chorus of #FBPE Tweeters were having a right go at Corbyn for not having mentioned Brexit, despite him having absolutely nailed May on crime.

Then Hilary Benn completely floored her on customs union / Irish border.

I'm sure they are all apologising for these unwarranted and counterproductive attacks on Labour.


Where's the money for extra cops coming from?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:23 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 20000
Has thanked: 16728 times
Been thanked: 29635 times
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 017-0473-z




Coming together in a rightward direction: post-1980s changing attitudes to the British welfare state


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:24 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5752
Has thanked: 1935 times
Been thanked: 9559 times
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Re PMQs

Inevitably the chorus of #FBPE Tweeters were having a right go at Corbyn for not having mentioned Brexit, despite him having absolutely nailed May on crime.

Then Hilary Benn completely floored her on customs union / Irish border.

I'm sure they are all apologising for these unwarranted and counterproductive attacks on Labour.


Where's the money for extra cops coming from?

Eh?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:33 pm 
Offline
First Secretary of State

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 3208
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 5544 times
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Hilary Benn‏
@hilarybennmp
No answer from the PM just now to my question on why she is so determined to leave a customs union with the EU when this would be completely incompatible with keeping an open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

@GavinBarwell
Replying to @hilarybennmp
.@hilarybennmp She gave a very clear answer: staying in the Customs Union would prevent us from doing trade deals with other countries

@hilarybennmp
Thanks, but that wasn't the question I asked. It was about how we keep the Northern Ireland border with the Republic without checks or infrastructure if we are leaving the customs union and replacing it with a free trade agreement.



Labour has not ruled out a customs Union with the EU and they have also said no hard border in Ireland

Based on that the answer would have been different if given from a Labour spokesperson

Note that Benn used 'a' not 'the'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
First Secretary of State

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 3208
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 5544 times
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Re PMQs

Inevitably the chorus of #FBPE Tweeters were having a right go at Corbyn for not having mentioned Brexit, despite him having absolutely nailed May on crime.

Then Hilary Benn completely floored her on customs union / Irish border.

I'm sure they are all apologising for these unwarranted and counterproductive attacks on Labour.


Where's the money for extra cops coming from?

Eh?


I assume from the forest of money trees the Tories found


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:35 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5752
Has thanked: 1935 times
Been thanked: 9559 times
howsillyofme1 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Hilary Benn‏
@hilarybennmp
No answer from the PM just now to my question on why she is so determined to leave a customs union with the EU when this would be completely incompatible with keeping an open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

@GavinBarwell
Replying to @hilarybennmp
.@hilarybennmp She gave a very clear answer: staying in the Customs Union would prevent us from doing trade deals with other countries

@hilarybennmp
Thanks, but that wasn't the question I asked. It was about how we keep the Northern Ireland border with the Republic without checks or infrastructure if we are leaving the customs union and replacing it with a free trade agreement.



Labour has not ruled out a customs Union with the EU and they have also said no hard border in Ireland

Based on that the answer would have been different if given from a Labour spokesperson

Note that Benn used 'a' not 'the'

He used 'the' in the second Tweet :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:37 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5752
Has thanked: 1935 times
Been thanked: 9559 times
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... pean-court

/british-group-wins-right-to-take-brexit-case-to-european-court


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:39 pm 
Offline
First Secretary of State

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 3208
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 5544 times
I think the context is different Paul

He used 'the' for the current state and 'a' for the future. Perfectly consistent!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:45 pm 
Online
Site Admin

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 5752
Has thanked: 1935 times
Been thanked: 9559 times
howsillyofme1 wrote:
I think the context is different Paul

He used 'the' for the current state and 'a' for the future. Perfectly consistent!

Fortuitously (wrt Benn) or otherwise I think you are correct ;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:56 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:35 pm
Posts: 5851
Has thanked: 10499 times
Been thanked: 7246 times
Faisal Islam‏Verified account
@faisalislam

NEW:
Leaked internal Government Brexit assessment shows No Deal economic hit to Northern Ireland at 12% over next decade and a half.

North East England at 16%. 11% even with comprehensive EU trade deal - Sky sources

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/ ... 9997630464


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 4:05 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 4211
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 2277 times
I do love these subtle but no doubt vital distinctions between the customs noon and a customs union that is identical in all material respects.

Very productive.

Labour needs to adopt Benn's position and cut the shadow secretary for international trade loose. He and the other deniers of reality will be no loss.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 4:09 pm 
Online
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 14514
Has thanked: 80650 times
Been thanked: 13376 times
HindleA wrote:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11135-017-0473-z

Coming together in a rightward direction: post-1980s changing attitudes to the British welfare state

From 1979 until present day the UK's political leadership
Tory, almost 26 years
Labour, 13 years


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 4:16 pm 
Online
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 14514
Has thanked: 80650 times
Been thanked: 13376 times
Good-afternoon, everyone
May I get you tea or coffee, PorFavor?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 4:16 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 7291
Has thanked: 729 times
Been thanked: 15899 times
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Hopefully the SPD membership will tell its leaders what they can do with it :twisted:


Am told it's likely to pass with the membership. I hope so.


Thousands of people have joined in the past few weeks, most of them to vote against a GroKo apparently.

Why are you so keen for the SPD to drop below AfD (and possibly the Greens and die Linke) in the polls anyway?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:35 pm
Posts: 5851
Has thanked: 10499 times
Been thanked: 7246 times
Japanese investors to meet PM May on Thursday as Brexit concerns mount

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-brita ... KKBN1FR2BS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 4:54 pm 
Offline
First Secretary of State

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 3208
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 5544 times
SpinningHugo wrote:
I do love these subtle but no doubt vital distinctions between the customs noon and a customs union that is identical in all material respects.

Very productive.

Labour needs to adopt Benn's position and cut the shadow secretary for international trade loose. He and the other deniers of reality will be no loss.



they are subtle, and I would not say vital, but are pretty important


The fact you don't understand the difference between 'the' and 'a' is not my issue

Seeing you are so keen on joining 'the EU Customs Union' perhaps you can tell us how this is done?

whilst you are at it how do become a member of 'the Single Market' - you are not allowed to say 'via EFTA' by the way


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 4:58 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 9949
Has thanked: 1615 times
Been thanked: 13032 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Hopefully the SPD membership will tell its leaders what they can do with it :twisted:


Am told it's likely to pass with the membership. I hope so.


Thousands of people have joined in the past few weeks, most of them to vote against a GroKo apparently.

Why are you so keen for the SPD to drop below AfD (and possibly the Greens and die Linke) in the polls anyway?


I want the best government in a key ally.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], citizenJA, Google [Bot], PorFavor, refitman, tinybgoat and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group