Thursday 15th February 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Thursday 15th February 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

UKIP guilty of libel against 3 Labour MPs

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/judgments/ ... s-mep-ors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* sorry this was already known - the new news is that they have to pay a whopping legal bill!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

(a) The claimants are three Labour MPs for constituencies in or near Rotherham. They sued Ms Collins for libelling them in a speech she gave to the UKIP Party Conference on 26 September 2014, at which time the 2015 Election was in prospect and Ms Collins was the prospective UKIP Parliamentary Candidate for the constituency of Rotherham.
(b) In a Judgment of April 2015, the Court found the speech referred to all three claimants, and bore three defamatory meanings about them, to the effect that they had known many of the details of the scandalous child sexual exploitation that took place in Rotherham, yet deliberately chose not to intervene but to allow the abuse to continue; that they had done this for motives of political correctness, cowardice, or selfishness; and that they were thereby guilty of misconduct so grave that it was or should be criminal.
(c) In May 2015, Ms Collins made and the claimants accepted an Offer of Amends pursuant to the Defamation Act 1996. After that, Ms Collins parted company with her lawyers, and made applications to “vacate” her Offer of Amends and to stay the proceedings pending an opinion from the European Parliament on whether her role as as an MEP meant she was immune from the claims. The Parliament’s opinion was that she was not, and the Court refused to stay the claim further, and dismissed the application to vacate the Offer of Amends.
(d) After a hearing in January 2017, the Court awarded compensation of £54,000 to each of the claimants, and ordered Ms Collins to pay their costs, with an interim payment on account of £120,000.
(e) None of those sums have been paid. As a result of disclosure given by Ms Collins in the course of enforcement proceedings the claimants brought the present application.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Same story in the Groan

Largely irrelevant I know but great fun

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... egal-costs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ukip-edged-towards-bankruptcy-by-judges-decision-on-legal-costs
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:A bit gobsmacked to be honest on a left wing forum as to the dissing of work,unless I have misinterpreted,enjoined endeavour,social interaction,a sense of worth/value,belonging.I have a wider definition clarification.
Please continue
I should have been clearer. Please continue that train of thought, say more about the wider definition. In your own time.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:A bit gobsmacked to be honest on a left wing forum as to the dissing of work,unless I have misinterpreted,enjoined endeavour,social interaction,a sense of worth/value,belonging.I have a wider definition clarification.
Please continue
I should have been clearer. Please continue that train of thought, say more about the wider definition. In your own time.
I tried refreshing, but nothing there .
Thanks for the unintended book reference books/booksblog/2011/mar/29/hugo-award-ursula-le-guin
Yet another author i had not met !
https://www.theguardian.com/books/books ... la-le-guin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On werk, if one substitutes 'meaningful activity' it takes people away any association from their semi-voluntary servitude to the Kapitalist System.

My elder GD is working like a maniac on French First Year Medicine, which is an eliminatory system worthy of any SAS Selection course . Of course that's individual working, tho not for immediate $ gain.

In the more general sense employed work contributes to one's social identity, which is extremely important for most of us .

You only realise the extent of that when you become an Outsider :-)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@frog222
Thoughtful post, thank you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Another early night for me, everyone
Please have a good night
love,
cJA
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Overly fair from the ever excellent Ford

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

SpinningHugo wrote:Overly fair from the ever excellent Ford

I have a problem with the liberal way he (and you) use the word ‘Liberal’ without adequately defining what you mean by it. It’s like ‘nice’ or ‘hopeless’. Without clarification, it’s meaningless.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Re: Thursday 15th February 20i18

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

HindleA wrote:Labour caling for assistance in today's local election in neighbouring village."Getting surrounded,send reinforcements".At current rate of encroachment,I will be left with my back garden as an oasis of non Toryism.
They must be grave robbing. My wife answered the door to someone canvassing from the Conservative Association, the first time in 30 years that’s happened. He was lucky it was her, as she just burst out laughing in his face and he walked away. I might have been more robust.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 15th February 20i18

Post by frog222 »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
HindleA wrote:Labour caling for assistance in today's local election in neighbouring village."Getting surrounded,send reinforcements".At current rate of encroachment,I will be left with my back garden as an oasis of non Toryism.
They must be grave robbing. My wife answered the door to someone canvassing from the Conservative Association, the first time in 30 years that’s happened. He was lucky it was her, as she just burst out laughing in his face and he walked away. I might have been more robust.
Shows ho serious things are ... when did Llabour come by ?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Rees-Mogg's mate Steve Bannon acting pretty shifty by all accounts, refusing to answer questions posed by a congressional committee:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43079550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bannon 'stonewalled' congressmen during committee hearing
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexit ... -linked-to" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SNP MP Martin Docherty-Hughes said: “This is a strange development on a number of levels: why were senior FCO officials meeting with someone whom the current American President has described as a ‘low level volunteer’; and how on earth these senior FCO officials thought it appropriate to discuss Brexit with someone who’s primary role seems to have been facilitating contact between Trump Tower and the Kremlin?”
OK. Let's give the UK government the benefit of the doubt and assume Trump was downplaying Papadopoulos's role in his campaign when he was described as little more than a coffee boy. So there will be minutes of these routine, getting to know presidential candidate's teams type meetings, presumably?
In November 2017, a parliamentary written question was submitted to find out more details about Papadopoulos’ visit to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in 2016. In response, a FCO minister confirmed that the “then Head of the FCO’s North American Department held a brief introductory meeting with George Papadopoulos, one of the Trump campaign’s named foreign policy advisors, in September 2016. A written record of this meeting was not produced.” No further details of the meeting were provided.
Indeed, there seem to be no minutes of any of these meetings. So much for "most transparent government ever".
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Question Time was in Yoevil tonight which is currently Conservative after being Lib-Dem for years and Theresa Villiers went down like a bucket of sick, not one iota of applause from the audience for any of her inane utterings. David Lammy was his usual ebullient self, the bloke who runs Iceland (the shop) seemed a pleasant enough chap, Cameron's ex advisor Camilla Cavendish was inoffensively dull and Faiza Shaheen who was the token lefty was a total lightweight. The audience were the politest we've seen all year with not a single shouting loony. But that might be because they avoided the topic of Brexit.

Oh and according to Theresa Villiers it would appear Jeremy Corbyn wants to disband the entirety of our armed forces. Which struck me as being somewhat unlikely. I think she was getting desperate by that point. A bit like The Sun.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

55DegreesNorth wrote:

I have a problem with the liberal way he (and you) use the word ‘Liberal’ without adequately defining what you mean by it. It’s like ‘nice’ or ‘hopeless’. Without clarification, it’s meaningless.

Probably most easily explained through examples.

Putin, Corbyn, Chavez, Rouhani = not liberals

Obama, Miliband, Trudeau, Macron = liberals

Someone like Seumas Milne, instinctively siding with authoritarian regimes because they're anti-imperialism (ie anti-American). People appearing on Press TV. Not very liberal.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

That would be 'Yeovil'. My apologies to the good people of Summerset.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Question Time was in Yoevil tonight which is currently Conservative after being Lib-Dem for years and Theresa Villiers went down like a bucket of sick, not one iota of applause from the audience for any of her inane utterings. David Lammy was his usual ebullient self, the bloke who runs Iceland (the shop) seemed a pleasant enough chap, Cameron's ex advisor Camilla Cavendish was inoffensively dull and Faiza Shaheen who was the token lefty was a total lightweight. The audience were the politest we've seen all year with not a single shouting loony. But that might be because they avoided the topic of Brexit.

Oh and according to Theresa Villiers it would appear Jeremy Corbyn wants to disband the entirety of our armed forces. Which struck me as being somewhat unlikely. I think she was getting desperate by that point. A bit like The Sun.
That sounded like some very fair reporting to me !
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

SpinningHugo wrote:
55DegreesNorth wrote:

Probably most easily explained through examples.

Putin, Corbyn, Chavez, Rouhani = not liberals

Obama, Miliband, Trudeau, Macron = liberals

Someone like Seumas Milne, instinctively siding with authoritarian regimes because they're anti-imperialism (ie anti-American). People appearing on Press TV. Not very liberal.
And yet the funny thing is I could never see Corbyn or Milne advocating the kind of authoritarian nonsense we saw under Blair, who under your laughably simplistic definition of 'liberal' would be the most liberal prime minister this country has ever had. I for one am absolutely delighted I don't have to justify my existence by carrying about a stupid fucking ID card and at least dissenters at Labour conferences are no longer thrown out using anti-terror laws.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote:That sounded like some very fair reporting to me !
Yeah I don't think I'm doing this internet thing right am I?