Tuesday 27th February 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 27th February 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 27th February 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Something quite remarkable is the way the Brexiteers get away with screaming betrayal at Labour for proposing almost exactly what was on offer from Leave at the Referendum.

Remember Farage et al all proposing the Norway option? Nobody's talking about leaving the Single Market they said!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

refitman wrote:Morning all.
Good morning to you too, Refitman and all here.

Just popped in to say thank you for your comments on WNTT yesterday.
Much appreciated :D
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

So apparently Boris Johnson reckons we can use the same solutions for the Irish border that are used to track vehicles for congestion charging between Westminster and Camden.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/r ... remainers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Rumour about May’s customs union stance excites Remainers" Isabel Hardman
...But I’ve also picked up an interesting theory doing the rounds among would-be rebels, which is that Theresa May will use her Road to Brexit speech on Friday to announce a concession on the matter of Britain having ‘a’ customs union arrangement of one sort or another.
May reaches for the Downing Street Thesaurus, again.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinybgoat wrote:https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/r ... remainers/
"Rumour about May’s customs union stance excites Remainers" Isabel Hardman
...But I’ve also picked up an interesting theory doing the rounds among would-be rebels, which is that Theresa May will use her Road to Brexit speech on Friday to announce a concession on the matter of Britain having ‘a’ customs union arrangement of one sort or another.
May reaches for the Downing Street Thesaurus, again.
:-o
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Something quite remarkable is the way the Brexiteers get away with screaming betrayal at Labour for proposing almost exactly what was on offer from Leave at the Referendum.

Remember Farage et al all proposing the Norway option? Nobody's talking about leaving the Single Market they said!
I like the accusations of Labour "ripping up" the last manifesto, not sure how being in opposition is meant to work if that's not allowed.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good morning

On the 'cake and eat it' criticisms that fly about.

I think it is a little unfair to expect that anyone go into negotiations with the publicly expressed intention of just accepting the other side's views as the endpoint. What we each have to do is estimate what is realistically going to achieved at the end, not where we start from. It is is a bit silly to take everyone's starting positition to be what the expect to get out of it at the end.....

All sides are at it, including Labour and the custom's union - but then so are the extreme remainers who want to accept the status quo with their cake being that people will accept us having no say on future rules but being subject to them

I would rather that the debate was rather more nuanced than that and we look at what is specifically being asked for

The Tories biggest issue is all these red lines and their focus on ruling everything out but then wanting the benefits. If they could set out a real idea of what they want then it woulod be easier to judge what is realistic or not. Their issue is that any realistic endpoint seems to contravene a number of their red lines

Labour are on a bit safer ground as a CU agreement is not as straight-jacketed as the one regarding the EEA......there may be some options there for more joint-cooperation and it is entirely reasonable to go in with that expectation. This CU agreement will have to be bespoke as nothing else is available apart from Turkey. The subject that could cause the most issues is the EEA one and that is why they have styed pretty quiet on what that would look like - any concessions from the EU would have to apply to the rest of EFTA too and I dioubtr the EU would agree to that

The one thing that still surprises me is that serious commentators (or supposedly serious) will go into great detail on the opening statement of intent from a Labour opposition - asking questions on what the EU would do etc, etc when the only people who are actually negotiating with the EU are allowed to continue with saying absolutely nothing concrete about their intentions, despite the negotiations starting again immenently and with around 6 months to go

If Labour are being held to a more exacting standard than the Government, either there si something seriously wrong with our fourth estate and the conclusion si the Tories should just get out of the way and allow Labour to put their money where their mouth is

In situations like this you would expect the Oppostition to be massively over-promising versus the Government - in this case it is the opposite and suggests we have a broken system at the moment
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinybgoat wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Something quite remarkable is the way the Brexiteers get away with screaming betrayal at Labour for proposing almost exactly what was on offer from Leave at the Referendum.

I like the accusations of Labour "ripping up" the last manifesto, not sure how being in opposition is meant to work if that's not allowed.
I suspect the remarks are aimed at the government as much as the opposition. By claiming manifestos are sacrosanct and unalterable, the implication is that May can't possibly waver from hard Brexit because it was in the manifesto she was elected on. The Brexiters can't claim that a hard Brexit was endorsed by the electorate because May didn't win the election, so it becomes a case of all manifesto pledges on Brexit having to be kept whether they were endorsed by the electorate or not....

Such nonsense doesn't really deserve any attention, but we live in nonsensical times.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I think this is very good, by Chris Grey. Won't help anyone feel less depressed about it though.
People are going to be asking 'why can't we just get on with it' for a long time to come.
http://vip.politicsmeanspolitics.com/20 ... n-with-it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

howsillyofme1 wrote: If Labour are being held to a more exacting standard than the Government, either there si something seriously wrong with our fourth estate and the conclusion si the Tories should just get out of the way and allow Labour to put their money where their mouth is

In situations like this you would expect the Oppostition to be massively over-promising versus the Government - in this case it is the opposite and suggests we have a broken system at the moment
I think this has been the case for a long time, not least because it distracts from the govt's failures. We are poorly served by our journos, indeed.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

On the other hand, B Johnson is getting his arse handed to him from all quarters today.
Our FS himself is the biggest demonstration of how messed up things are.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote: If Labour are being held to a more exacting standard than the Government, either there si something seriously wrong with our fourth estate and the conclusion si the Tories should just get out of the way and allow Labour to put their money where their mouth is

I think this has been the case for a long time, not least because it distracts from the govt's failures. We are poorly served by our journos, indeed.
Yes, it was blatantly obvious during the Cameron/Miliband years as well.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Capture16.PNG
Capture16.PNG (46.12 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:

It is quite remarkable.

The only thing the Government is clear about now, as someone here pointed out the other day, is the desire for total sovereignty, while ignoring what a glaringly obvious illusion that is.

They have no international trade policy, no immigration policy, no Irish border policy (all the above being interlinked of course). Or at least none that I've heard about.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I am going to be fair to May here

She is in a bind, as would Labour be, over this question of sovereignty. It is is the real issue that cannot be easily resolved, apart from via a hard Brexit.

I still have an inkling suspicion that May would love to have been able to make that Corbyn speech yesterday - this slow movement to a very soft Brexit, or perhaps even remain

Her mistakes and weakness have caught up with her now - and he room for manoeuvre is very limited indeed

If she is not in any custom's union as said yesterday,a nd the single market is even more problematic - then she has no cards to play

Labour have, up to now, skilfully got themselves int he best position they could have done in the circumstances, but the hardest games are yet to be played

Sovereignty, not economics, seems to be the subject the Brexiteers are coalescing about and it is a good emotional argument to appeal to the voters - it plays into the hands of the Empire, plucky Brits and especially resonates with the 55+ age group. I am not sure how you counter it either - the rational arguments are there but the emotional ones aren't

I think this harks back to the referendum campaign too - there is a strong emotional attachment to the UK and us standing alone ruling the waves. Not even the most pro-European could bring such a strong argument to provoke a change in attitudes
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The sovereignty thing has popular appeal undoubtedly, but still wouldn't have won the referendum on its own. Polls show that what we might call a "hard Brexit" has the support of around 35-40% of voters, and that could always diminish as the actual consequences become (even) more apparent.

The bottom line, as others have found out before, is that you can't actually eat sovereignty or "patriotism".
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Guess what? Farage is on Question Time this week :roll:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Guess what? Farage is on Question Time this week :roll:
be fair - they would invite the Leader of UKIP except that they never know who it's going to be from week to week.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2018 ... ainlyMacro+(mainly+macro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Labour's embrace of a customs union could end the Brexit fantasy

Wren-Lewis
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42979242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Landlords who say 'no DSS' breaking equality laws
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is someone with absolutely not a clue as to what the Customs Union is or does.
Nadine Dorries‏Verified account
@NadineDorries
Follow Follow @NadineDorries
More
They also say very stupid things, such as, ‘we must put the country 1st.’ How about putting the poor 1st, who pay through the nose for food, shoes and clothes at prices fixed by the unelected protectionist racket that is the CU? #Conservatives

11:38 PM - 26 Feb 2018
:roll:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:This is someone with absolutely not a clue about anything ever.
There, fixed :twisted:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm listening to Liam Fox. So far, the only thing that he's said that makes any sense is, "What does all this mean?"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

He's trying (and failing) to come over all Jeremy Corbyn in his closing comments.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:He's trying (and failing) to come over all Jeremy Corbyn in his closing comments.
Bonnie Greer pointed out that he claimed he had visited 150 parts of the world since the Referendum!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon (belatedly).
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The quote of the day for me :lol:

Ian Dunt‏Verified account
@IanDunt

Fox speech here. I'll tweet if he says anything of interest. At the moment it looks like he's scolding a glass of water

https://news.sky.com/watch-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:He's trying (and failing) to come over all Jeremy Corbyn in his closing comments.
What a very strange thought.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
What a very strange thought.
!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

howsillyofme1 wrote:I am going to be fair to May here

She is in a bind, as would Labour be, over this question of sovereignty. It is is the real issue that cannot be easily resolved, apart from via a hard Brexit.

I still have an inkling suspicion that May would love to have been able to make that Corbyn speech yesterday - this slow movement to a very soft Brexit, or perhaps even remain

Her mistakes and weakness have caught up with her now - and he room for manoeuvre is very limited indeed

If she is not in any custom's union as said yesterday,a nd the single market is even more problematic - then she has no cards to play

Labour have, up to now, skilfully got themselves int he best position they could have done in the circumstances, but the hardest games are yet to be played

Sovereignty, not economics, seems to be the subject the Brexiteers are coalescing about and it is a good emotional argument to appeal to the voters - it plays into the hands of the Empire, plucky Brits and especially resonates with the 55+ age group. I am not sure how you counter it either - the rational arguments are there but the emotional ones aren't

I think this harks back to the referendum campaign too - there is a strong emotional attachment to the UK and us standing alone ruling the waves. Not even the most pro-European could bring such a strong argument to provoke a change in attitudes
To be fair to May, she has chosen this position. She could have chosen any reset she wanted when she took over, and she could have chosen any reset again on a 'back me or sack me' basis after the 2017 election, and she could have chosen to be explicit about what the Stage 1 agreement meant in December, especially so far as NI and the Custom's Union means, but she has always chosen to go ahead leaning into the extreme wing of her party.

They have no real need to choose a path that appeals to voters because they don't need to go to the country for another four and a half years.

She could have stood up to the anti-realists but she has chosen to go along with them.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:I am going to be fair to May here

To be fair to May, she has chosen this position. She could have chosen any reset she wanted when she took over, and she could have chosen any reset again on a 'back me or sack me' basis after the 2017 election, and she could have chosen to be explicit about what the Stage 1 agreement meant in December, especially so far as NI and the Custom's Union means, but she has always chosen to go ahead leaning into the extreme wing of her party.

They have no real need to choose a path that appeals to voters because they don't need to go to the country for another four and a half years.

She could have stood up to the anti-realists but she has chosen to go along with them.
Others will remember better than me, but wasn't she thought to be a Eurosceptic back before the referendum?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Eimear McCormack @EimearMcCormack
What’s the odds on the #beastfromtheast being a whole load of hype over nothing?

Daniel Margrain @hairymarx1
41m41 minutes ago
I will not have people diss the Daily Express front pages. Their random weather predictions bring truth to power. Daniel Margrain added,
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... a-woman-st" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... y-strategy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Press release

Government launches call for evidence for Civil Society Strategy
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ruary-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Research and analysis

Building Safety Programme: monthly data release - February 2018
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Press release
Civil Society Minister Tracey Crouch urges public to take part to help build a fairer society
Don't expect the government we pay for taking part in that fairer society because, you know, they got better things to do than providing leadership
These news items set together are quite a pair
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

bastards
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Eleven local council byelections last week:

Boston DC - Tory hold, with almost three quarters of the vote. This hasn't always been as safe for the Tories as now - in 2007 the briefly electorally dominant locally (but equally short lived) "Boston Bypass Independents" took one of the two seats here, the Tories duly won it back in 2011 as their bubble burst but in 2015 they again had to share the seats - this time in a straight fight with UKIP as the Tories only narrowly topped the poll. Of course the UKIP collapse since then - both nationally and (if anything even more marked) locally - has been well documented, and though they did field a candidate on this occasion they still plunged to just 7% of the vote; this was less than half the score of the Labour candidate after they stood here for the first time since a previous 2006 byelection. A hitherto obscure outfit "Blue Revolution" didn't really trouble the scorers with just 2%.

West Somerset DC - LibDem gain from UKIP, there was no UKIP candidate this time just as there had been no LibDem candidate in either 2015 or 2011 (when this two member ward was set up in its present form) The first time round the ward split 1C/1Lab, but three years ago Labour lost their seat to an Independent - with no Indie candidate either on this occasion the LibDems took advantage to win from a standing start with over 40% over the vote, modestly ahead of the Tories even though they also gained slightly. Labour third with 17%, short of their former strength.

Torfaen - Labour hold with just over half the vote, little changed on last year. That election saw a breakthrough for Independents after they had been competitive here for some time, gaining a seat and breaking the Labour monopoly on this two member ward which went back to the pre-unitary days here on the old Torfaen DC. This time round the Indies again weren't far behind Labour in their combined vote, but the resulting split as two candidates stood (even though one outpolled the other by roughly 2 to 1) meant that Labour's win was fairly comfortable on this occasion. Greens tried their luck here, but had to be content with 3%.

North Kesteven DC - Tory gain from Independent in what was the first electoral competition in this two member ward since the 2007 elections when a second Tory candidate was beaten along with a UKIP hopeful, in both 2011 and 2015 the sitting Tory and Independent were returned unopposed. So this was a chance for the Tories to take both seats here for the first time since those 2007 post-boundary change elections, and they duly did so with 57% of the vote, more than 20 points ahead of their main rivals (designated as the "Lincolnshire Independents" this time around) LibDems threw their hat in this time, but managed less than 7%.

Hertfordshire CC - Tory hold of a safe division, though their vote dropped by 5 points since last year (the first post boundary change election) to just under 60%. The main beneficiaries of this - and the absence of UKIP who came 3rd then and have polled decently in this area before - were the LibDems who quadrupled their share to 20% and second place, ahead of Labour who were little changed. Greens stood this time, but recieved 3% - around their customary level in most contests now.

Arun DC - LibDem gain from Tory in a ward that split 1Ind/1Con at the last elections in 2015 (the first since boundary changes) with UKIP also polling strongly. Though there was no LibDem standing that time, they have some history in the similar predecessor ward - winning it in 2003 - so taking it from a standing start with just under a third of the vote was not perhaps as much a surprise as in some similar instances. Labour - 4th and last three years ago - advanced by 7 points to snatch second place (a more diluted version of the by-election advances seen recently in nearby Greater Brighton, perhaps?) ahead of the Tories who dipped slightly. Indies had to be content with a relatively modest 15% this time round after topping the poll last time.

Chichester DC - LibDem hold with almost 55% of the vote, a modest advance on 2015. This single member ward has voted LibDem in each election since 2003, in straight fights with the Tories until three years ago when a Green intervened (but not terribly effectively) Easy wins for the LibDems in 2003 and 2007 became somewhat tighter post-coalition, so they will be pleased with a modest swing back to them on this occasion. Labour stood on this occasion for the first time this century, just managing to break the 10% barrier.

Lichfield DC - Tory hold, though their share dipped to under 45% after gaining over half at the last elections in 2015 and safely returning three members in this ward (again, the first since boundary changes came into effect) The main beneficiaries of this, though, were not Labour (who also dipped slightly on last time) but the LibDems who took a good third place with 19% after not standing three years ago. The minor placing saw the "Something New" group - who have turned up in a few other byelections recently - take 5% and in doing so pip the Greens into last place as their own share dropped by over two thirds.

Dorset CC/West Dorset DC - this "double header" proved to be the best news for the Tories last week as they duly made gains from the LibDems in both seats. The county seat is a two member division (set up in its present form for the 2017 polls) that split 1LD/1C last year, however the winning LibDem was well ahead of their running mate - who was outpolled by both the Tories - so this was never going to be an easy defence for them. In the event a small swing (the Tory share was virtually unchanged on just under 40%) was enough to deliver the seat to the blue team - the LibDems were not helped by Labour also advancing 4 points to 16%; Greens ended up on 9%, slightly down. The district seat split 1LD/2C last time (the smaller predecessor ward pre-2015 regularly used to divide 1LD/1C) but again the successful LibDem finished way ahead of their other candidates and so they were up against it here. Again, just a small swing since three years ago was enough for the Tories to do it - 36% compared to the LibDems 30%. Labour advanced by 9 per cent this time and are now semi-competitive themselves, leapfrogging the Greens who almost halved to 11%.

Scottish Borders - Independent gain from Tory in a division that split 1Con/1Nat/1Ind last year, the SNP winning back the seat they had lost to an Independent in 2012 as they took advantage of the collapse of the LibDems who had won a seat both here and in 2007 (it split 1LD/1C/1Nat then) As last year the Tories topped the poll, but their 35% of first preferences were 6 points down on 2017 and the top placed Independent (just short of 30%, roughly double the Indy score last year) duly came through to beat them on transfers. SNP also dipped slightly to just under 20% followed (some way behind) by the second Independent who actually polled slightly better when they stood a year ago. Labour got 4% (almost unchanged) but that was enough to beat the LibDems whose almost decline here - almost UKIPish in scale - still continues. Greens last with 2%, compared with 3% last May.

That's two big weeks accounted for - phew! March starts a bit more quietly, with four contests.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I didn't like reading the nonsensical treatment she received from staff
They might not be responsible for the jackass implementation of lunatic Tory policy but they're responsible for their own words and actions
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Downing Street has played down the significance of what Michel Barnier said earlier (see 3.07pm) about the two sides not yet agreeing the transition. Asked for a response, the prime minister’s spokesman said:

During a negotiation you would not expect both sides to immediately agree on everything. What’s absolutely clear is that both the UK and the EU agree that an implementation period is beneficial and we’re working to reach an agreement in March that’s in the interests of both business and individuals in the UK and in the EU 27. We await publication of the draft text tomorrow and then we’ll be in a position to respond. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
Immediately?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... y-strategy
Press release
"...a new strategy that will harnesses the power of communities, charities, and businesses to help build a fairer society."
Oh, right, see there?
The only thing government does is unveil, introduce, launch
Tory government are nothing more than figureheads, behaving like royalty
We can't afford that
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, AK
I'll re-read your report over a cup of tea
What can I get you?
Coffee, tea?
Toast with peanut butter?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'when the days begin to lengthen, the cold begins to strengthen'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sloppy, amateur work, Tory government
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Repeated and continuing discriminators,systematic and grevious harm,active and purposeful regressive policy makers....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

After Boris' rather odd comparison of two London boroughs to the NI/Eire border...
David Lammy

Verified account

@DavidLammy
8h8 hours ago
More David Lammy Retweeted Faisal Islam
When I was a young boy we were told to stay away from the Troubles on the Caledonian Rd & marching bands in Regent's Park. The Chalk Farm Peace Agreement has brought peace in our time. People can get the tube from Camden Town to Finsbury Park without being searched at the border.
:D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:'when the days begin to lengthen, the cold begins to strengthen'

"When the ice begins to harden, HindleA basks in the garden"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Northamptonshire adult care services 'on verge of being unsafe'

Cash-strapped council says up to 2,000 cases involving older and disabled people are unassigned

Care services for older and disabled adults are on the verge of being unsafe in Northamptonshire, the crisis-ridden county council has said, with as many as 2,000 cases unassigned because of major budget cuts.

The Tory-run council, which declared it was close to effective bankruptcy earlier this month, was given the prognosis by senior officials as it sought to agree a £10m cuts programme which will include the closure of 21 of its 36 libraries. It came just days after a warning from the council’s auditor that its existing plans to reduce services would deliver insufficient savings to enable it to set a legal budget for 2018-19.

Northamptonshire’s adult social care services were on the point of intervention, the officials said on Tuesday, in comments reported by the BBC. The officials added that the service had the lowest staffing levels in England.(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... rge-unsafe