Wednesday 28th February 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 28th February 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... untability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Revolution in Accountability
Speech given at the Office for Students launch conference, 28 February 2018
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Clear as a bell and sunny now
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... untability

Revolution in Accountability
Speech given at the Office for Students launch conference, 28 February 2018
:lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yours truly has just passed 7k posts 8-)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

citizenJA wrote:Clear as a bell and sunny now
I take it you are not referring to the Government's policy on the Irish Border ;-)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The theories of rightwing, pro-market economists rest on more than “government bad, private good”, even if that is how they end up being mistranslated by politicians trying to think of a good reason to rebrand heart transplant patients as healthcare consumers.

For markets to work firms need to be risky endeavours. Labour’s proposals to end the experiment with trying to fit every industry into a market framework is simply a recognition that, for many of our vital public industries, we can’t afford to take the risk.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... c-services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There's something more I want to add. It's not a weakness of the article linked above, it's a different problem. The loss of brick and mortar shops in communities aren't replaced with anything fulfilling a function those shops fill and Internet shopping can't provide.

I've worked in retail. It was a pleasure to sell things I liked a lot. I sold books in a community with many retired people making up a large part of that area. That experience led me to care work. I'm simplifying a bit - my education and apprenticeship (it wasn't called that) was local government administration, a public service worker. All my work experience taught me how to do many different jobs.

Anyway, businesses in the high streets go belly-up leaves more than business owners and their employees out of a livelihood. That's my point.

Think about going into a favourite shop, it feels safe for people, they can talk or not, they know the people working there, it's comfortable. Libraries, community centres, citizen advice bureaus have been banned closed or hours restricted by Tory government's decimation of LA budgets.

I don't understand pubs. I wasn't educated in the UK. I think pubs can provide a lot of good, the kind of good I'm trying to describe. But pubs have been closing down too.

People need places providing safe interactions with other people. Those places outside home but within a community bring experienced people together with people wanting a book, computer equipage, advice, conversation. Social media is all very well but it doesn't fulfil physical interaction, unspoken communications, recognising facial expressions, connections helping people live and thrive.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

In LeGuin's, The Dispossessed, a driver of an ore supply transport vehicle and a physicist hitching a ride spoke with each other as brothers, in their hearts, they both knew the other their equal. Both did the work they chose. The work didn't define either one. All helped grow food, treat waste, engineer energy, communications, housing, water infrastructure but no one was forced, no one threatened with homelessness or starvation, no one owned property. It wasn't perfect. The will to dominate as natural as the will to cooperate; cultivating one and reducing opportunity and desire for the other is the work of society, of people together.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's a blizzard out there, people
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... transition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa May concedes on EU migrants' residency rights during Brexit transition
Major climbdown revealed by Home Office as EU citizens will have right to settle permanently
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/wels ... -agreement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welsh rail services set to be devolved following historic agreement
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:It's a blizzard out there, people
Make your bleedin' mind up . . .
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/w ... ier-up-to/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What are Jeremy Corbyn and Michel Barnier up to?"
The Commons Select Committee on Culture, Media and Sport recently investigated claims of Russian interference in the UK electoral process. The committee might soon be forced to go one further and investigate EU interference in our political system....
I made the mistake of following a link, from a comment on Conservativehome.
edit: ok 2 mistakes.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:It's a blizzard out there, people
Make your bleedin' mind up . . .
No one taught me weather control.
How I can do something I was never taught?
I ask you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... transition

Theresa May concedes on EU migrants' residency rights during Brexit transition
Major climbdown revealed by Home Office as EU citizens will have right to settle permanently
One major potential sticking point with this fresh British offer on citizens’ rights however is the government’s insistence that they will only be enforceable in UK courts and not through the European court of justice.
Won't work then
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.ft.com/content/9cf07fbc-1c8 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit: 10 observations on the draft withdrawal agreement
Good article in the FT by David Allen Green. Googling the title might allow access for nonsubscribers or the link on Twitter, which was how I was able to read it:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure I like this bit, but probably right:
Finally, this draft agreement perhaps makes Brexit more certain than before. Of course, the law is one thing and politics is another. The unstable domestic politics and weak and incompetent British government make any accurate forecasts impossible. Nobody knows for certain what will happen with Brexit.

But the EU shows little interest in extending the Article 50 period or encouraging the UK to revoke the notification. So unless the UK somehow fundamentally shifts its position on Brexit, or refuses to sign the withdrawal agreement before March 2019, the agreement will be a further illustration of “Brexit by timetable”. And, all other things being equal, the UK will leave the EU on terms prescribed by the EU.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Emily Thornberry ‏Verified account @EmilyThornberry
I've written to Boris Johnson to demand answers to the questions he fled the Commons to avoid earlier.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:Emily Thornberry ‏Verified account @EmilyThornberry
I've written to Boris Johnson to demand answers to the questions he fled the Commons to avoid earlier.
Thornberry senses she has Boris on the ropes.

Lidington was utterly unsupportive of him I thought. He just kept reiterating that Ministers were free to have their own views but the agreed Cabinet policy was the only one that mattered.

Which was another way of saying Johnson was wrong and he's irrelevant.

He may be for the chop.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 78401.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Even Boris Johnson’s seat could be at risk in Tory meltdown, David Cameron pollster claims"
Three former Cabinet ministers — Iain Duncan Smith, Theresa Villiers and Justine Greening — would also be vulnerable if trends continue, argued the study by Andrew Cooper and Spencer Livermore, launching a new think tank.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nig ... ffeb6e277b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Nigel Farage Roasted After Completely Misunderstanding Why It's Snowing"
Not really newsworthy, but some nice use of Language from 'Technical Ron.'
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ish-border" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

all-eyes-on-theresa-mays-brexit-speech-amid-friction-over-irish-border
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said it was unacceptable for May or other UK politicians to dismiss the EU’s proposals for the Northern Ireland-Republic of Ireland border
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.ft.com/content/4cb546ea-1c7 ... db76e69936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FT
Whatever form the UK’s trade relationship with the EU takes — customs union, single market, bilateral free-trade agreement — both sides pledged to maintain a frictionless Irish border to preserve the Good Friday Agreement that brought peace to the province.

Rather than complaining about the logical consequences of a proposal it agreed to two months ago, Mrs May’s government needs to show how it can combine an open Irish border with the UK’s being outside a customs union with the EU. If it cannot, it needs to reconsider its red line on being outside the customs union. So far, it has come up with very little except some wishful thinking on technological solutions to avoid the need for border posts. Few experts in the area find these ideas convincing.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And the one you've all been waiting for

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... roves-king" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

in-the-land-of-the-brexit-blind-one-eyed-john-major-proves-king

Crace
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

A politician [May] who invariably has her audience on the phone to Dignitas before she has even completed her opening sentence. Compared to her, Major is a latter day Cicero
:lol: :lol: :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ha! Someone from the EU has just referred to "Prime Minister Major".
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Now wait for the 'traitor' comments

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all.

That last tweet sent me to an earlier one with bits from a Truss speech. Jeez, she is such an idiot...

Yeah great - unqualified teachers in free schools- like the ones who ran Discovery New Schools which got such a wretched Ofsted that it shut down.

:toss:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I see that a certain Sir J Major has waded into the Tory "debate" on Brexit. This really must seem like old times to him ;)
Sergei Major? Another red to be wary of, then.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I see that a certain Sir J Major has waded into the Tory "debate" on Brexit. This really must seem like old times to him ;)
Sergei Major? Another red to be wary of, then.
Bit like Dippy J Hodges?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I saw some of the comments and wonder whether JRM just might have blown it with this...

Alex Andreou

Verified account

@sturdyAlex
6h6 hours ago
More
Extraordinarily ungracious and undignified personal attack on Major by @Jacob_Rees_Mogg on @BBCNews. A new low, in a career of lows.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:I saw some of the comments and wonder whether JRM just might have blown it with this...

Alex Andreou

Verified account

@sturdyAlex
6h6 hours ago
More
Extraordinarily ungracious and undignified personal attack on Major by @Jacob_Rees_Mogg on @BBCNews. A new low, in a career of lows.
He's also in trouble for lying about Corbyn's voting record on the Good Friday Agreement.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And this...
More
Replying to @sturdyAlex @Jacob_Rees_Mogg @BBCNews
Rees Mogg also said Corbyn voted against the Good Friday Agreement - it has just been confirmed by Channel 4 news, that this is untrue.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:And this...
More
Replying to @sturdyAlex @Jacob_Rees_Mogg @BBCNews
Rees Mogg also said Corbyn voted against the Good Friday Agreement - it has just been confirmed by Channel 4 news, that this is untrue.
Jacob Rees Mogg seems to have gone into full blunderbuss mode. It wouldn't have been difficult to check (or get someone else to check) Jeremy Corbyn's voting record.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Blunderbus?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 00.14.14.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 00.14.14.png (514.09 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I guess it had to be her that took it down to a new low. Calling a former PM from your own party a traitor?