Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th March 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th March 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Saurday 3rd & Sunday 4th March 2018

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Shopping soon but it looks like the big thaw has begun - roads look wet and I can see some grass in the garden again...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]lw6qxDPmOGM[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/co ... ts-podcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Alternatives: German town takes power back from energy giants – podcast
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Shopping soon but it looks like the big thaw has begun - roads look wet and I can see some grass in the garden again...
Morning folks,
No signs of a thaw here. The roads are white and it’s still snowing. Being an idiot, I’m going out to the countryside to see what it’s like out of town. I may be some time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... east-coast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nor'easter: relentless winds and rain hammer US east coast
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Morning.

We've enjoyed our little blast of winter here, the kids had some fun in the snow yesterday, but the main roads are clear(ish) today so hubby will be off to work soon. Hopefully all the stranded cars and lorries from the chaos on Thursday have been recovered and he'll have a quiet day on the buses.

Commiserations to those further north who look set for at least a couple more days of snow. I know some places have had a very snowy winter. With the council cuts, one wonders if we still have as much capacity to respond to these conditions as we used to. I don't think we had enough snow ploughs here in BANES and Somerset council appeared to be relying on farmers in tractors to help motorists who got stuck on the A39 over the Mendips. With so many services, like waste collection, outsourced these days, there are fewer council employees to call upon on these unpredictable occasions.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Still tea shortages in the Barnsley area,I'm led to believe.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

UK weather: ice brings further hazards to vast swaths of the UK - live

Well you learn something new everyday(well I do,thought swath was a spelling mistake)

http://spellingtrouble.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... wathe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Still tea shortages in the Barnsley area,I'm led to believe.
I'll be trekking down to the Co-op later. No doubt they'll have the usual, odd assortment of peculiar shortages (I hope they haven't had a run on mushrooms, I fancy a tuna bake) but thankfully I'm alright for tea.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -caretaker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well we all have what we consider ambition,so I make no judgement on others in prioritisation,just a more general dislike of dissing/devaluation of caring both familial and remunerated.There was no loss,but gain both ways in our choice,a depth of relationship not many will experience,setting an "example" is totally subjective.Nearly half of more unlikely to view as such family carers are male.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -caretaker

Well we all have what we consider ambition,so I make no judgement on others in prioritisation,just a more general dislike of dissing/devaluation of caring both familial and remunerated.There was no loss,but gain both ways in our choice,a depth of relationship not many will experience,setting an "example" is totally subjective.Nearly half of more unlikely to view as such family carers are male.
There are quite a lot of dads at the school gates these days, although that may be because I live in a white van man hot spot where a lot of dads are self-employed and therefore flexible. It certainly says something interesting about builders, plumbers and gardeners that dad duties are so happily embraced. I do feel a little devalued as a full time parent by these kind of articles, though. Not going out to work for pay but caring for family as a vocation is now almost akin to setting a bad example. I note the author has a partner who works from home, which must make childcare when the kids are off school ill a bit easier, a luxury not all of us have.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I read the "had to work" with a wry smile,I may seem inconsistent in the bemoaning of removing any work possibility in our particular circumstance but my priority was clear to me and in doing so the Government has removed an avenue to increase income a tad,some flexibility and it counters/doesn't make sense in supposed "aims" of reform.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Realise different situation/just a peg to hang my obsession.(or one of them)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My ambition is to win the PE Crossword and get my name in.Decades held,not realised as yet,still trying.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:I read the "had to work" with a wry smile,I may seem inconsistent in the bemoaning of removing any work possibility in our particular circumstance but my priority was clear to me and in doing so the Government has removed an avenue to increase income a tad,some flexibility and it counters/doesn't make sense in supposed "aims" of reform.
It's interesting how 'women's lib' has somehow warped into 'have to work'. Not sure I'd call that 'liberating'. It's almost as if women working is less about choice for women and more about choice for employers, as the workforce expands.

Edited to add that government barriers to carers going out to work is rather against the new ethos of paid work being all important, but creating barriers to outcomes the government says it wants seems also to be the trend these days. It's hard to make reason out of deliberate lying bollocks.
Last edited by Willow904 on Sat 03 Mar, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And the related transfer from "harm" to young children if working to "harm" if not at an ever decreasing age.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A function of viewing "benefits" as bad,the cap,non spare room,housing support for homeowners,lha and other HB changes etc,default case of including CA/not expected to work only relenting through gritted teeth on occasion..Most receive naff all,certainly it only kicks in after several months of course at best.They have a warped view of people,as I boringly state I find working is far easier and that itself pales into insignificance compared to the effort required to live reasonsbly with a long term disability/illness.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 03 Mar, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I see that the above piece was written by Hadley Freeman. She is vacuous.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

HindleA that signature is so irritating :twisted:

It's more or less stopped snowing here in Huddersfield, but no sign of a thaw yet.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I see that the above piece was written by Hadley Freeman. She is vacuous.
I think it interesting in what it reveals about the messages we are being fed about work and family. Vacuous pieces can be quite revealing sometimes.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:HindleA that signature is so irritating :twisted:
As is today's mis-spelt thread title? ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:
HindleA wrote:I read the "had to work" with a wry smile,I may seem inconsistent in the bemoaning of removing any work possibility in our particular circumstance but my priority was clear to me and in doing so the Government has removed an avenue to increase income a tad,some flexibility and it counters/doesn't make sense in supposed "aims" of reform.
It's interesting how 'women's lib' has somehow warped into 'have to work'. Not sure I'd call that 'liberating'. It's almost as if women working is less about choice for women and more about choice for employers, as the workforce expands.

Edited to add that government barriers to carers going out to work is rather against the new ethos of paid work being all important, but creating barriers to outcomes the government says it wants seems also to be the trend these days. It's hard to make reason out of deliberate lying bollocks.
In the unlikely event that we ever return to having enough well-paid jobs and properly affordable housing for people to be able to bring up a family with one breadwinner, or two part-timers, it would be good if the work and caring roles were more evenly split between the sexes.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Especially for those interested in schools, worth searching 'Estelle Morris' on Twitter.

She seems to have started an interesting conversation about how best to ensure our kids benefit from the latest education research and evidence.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

That is to say that the idea of happy, working women being 'forced' to be mums (arranging play dates etc) is covering the reality of many mums being literally forced to go out to work or face financial sanctions. A huge reverse from a couple of decades ago.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Osborne wanted to in effect means test CA,ie as a stand alone;under the guise of UC not just what it encompasses removal programme.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What signature.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 03 Mar, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

In the unlikely event that we ever return to having enough well-paid jobs and properly affordable housing for people to be able to bring up a family with one breadwinner, or two part-timers, it would be good if the work and caring roles were more evenly split between the sexes.
My son did some interesting research for a school history project on the Great War. There's an exhibition at the Bankfield Museum in Halifax and he found a fascinating story of a Halifax woman who went off to serve in the forces (not fighting obviously) while leaving her husband at home to look after their three sons. The eldest son turned 18 while she was away, joined up and met his mother in Calais. Many other women lost rewarding careers in the fashion industry as the mills shifted to production of uniforms and other war items.

I'm sure these women were not the norm in 1914, but it's interesting to think that mass conscription and the war economy through much of the early 20th century probably did a lot to reinforce the role of women as carers at home and in the health services.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:What signature?

This one
t
That'll teach you to mess with the Admin team :twisted:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th March 2018

Post by HindleA »

Oh, hat one,mus be on manoeuvres.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:HindleA that signature is so irritating :twisted:
As is today's mis-spelt thread title? ;)
Look, I'm a wee bit hung-over. :roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
HindleA wrote:What signature?

This one
t
That'll teach you to mess with the Admin team :twisted:

??
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Three non too subtle hints,now remedied I can rest easy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]ABRYUmZ1gbs[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

As if we needed telling...
Andrew Sentance
‏@asentance
17h17 hours ago
More
Theresa May confirms UK is leaving Single Market & EU Customs Union. Economic madness! UK was architect of the Single Market and Customs Union makes business smooth and efficient with our main trading partners. Both are crucial for UK business and we abandon them at our peril.
But he's one of those experts so what does he know eh?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I think someone (HindleA?) has already mentioned this - but what's a swath? Vast or otherwise.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

An alternative spelling of swathe.

A band of mown ground or of grass or corn cut by the scythe or mowing machine or ready for these,a broad band,the sweep of a scythe or mowing machine

Cut a swath(e) through-destroy and kill many of ,devastate.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

IE not a spelling mistake.

Repeat,especially for the hungovered

http://spellingtrouble.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... wathe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ers-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loophole used to cut affordable housing in rural England – report
Government urged to tighten planning laws that are currently being exploited by developers
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(Have referenced issue before,but worth a repeat)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:An alternative spelling of swathe.

A band of mown ground or of grass or corn cut by the scythe or mowing machine or ready for these,a broad band,the sweep of a scythe or mowing machine

I couldn't find it as an alternative spelling. I did google it, honest!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Possibly goggled it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm still worried about the apparent contentedness of the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg with Theresa May's latest offering. Something's fishy. I put his desire for Conservative Party unity way below his zeal for "Brexit". The more "remainy" wing's reaction I can (partly) understand.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Return of "remainy" just like slighty older times.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:I'm still worried about the apparent contentedness of the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg with Theresa May's latest offering. Something's fishy. I put his desire for Conservative Party unity way below his zeal for "Brexit". The more "remainy" wing's reaction I can (partly) understand.
Puzzled here too :-)

Will listen again later to this R4 Week in Westminster -- https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tbhn3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:
HindleA wrote:An alternative spelling of swathe.

I couldn't find it as an alternative spelling. I did google it, honest!
https://kddidit.com/2015/02/09/word-con ... us-swathe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A swath is strictly a noun and leaves or creates a strip of something or nothing while a swathe is both noun and verb that envelops, wraps what it encounters. Deciding which is which is complicated by the fact that the plural for swath can be either swaths or swathes . Just remember that the first is a strip that cuts through while the second wraps around.
Then again, since both are alternative spellings for the other, it doesn’t really matter as long as you’re consistent in choosing one.
Googled it, read it, went for a lie down.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

And there it was - gone.

His own bank balance. (Jacob Rees Mogg)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Asked Google to:

1) use swathed in a sentence, got:
Her waist looked tiny, swathed in velvet and surrounded by satin. Their relationship was no longer swathed in innocence. A tiny form, with white-blond hair and swathed in a blanket, slept peacefully.

2) use swath in a sentence, got:
Grass tickled her feet, and she glanced down at the swath of green beneath her. Verdant forests stretched to the steely sky, a swath of green, brown, and grey. Brush grew close to the drive, but it was obvious that someone had mown a swath down either side of the drive not long ago.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ask T3 about it
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I go by Chambers.The only real dictionary.

Whatever you do,do not turn over.