Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th March 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th March 2018

Post by HindleA »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Bastards!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Hi

The speech by May yesterday was a whole load of smoke and mirrors - notice no-one has really made too many comments because it was the typical speech that says nothing and if you want to be persuaded one way or another then you can

As always though - certain of the 'rebels' on the Tory benches have slunk away back into the dark corners they live in- Wollaston, all mouth!

Soubry and Clarke has been pretty quiet, as has been Grieve....

My own take on it

1. No progress on transition - that seems to be take or leave it from the EU and nothing on it
2. Future rights of EU/Uk citizens - nothing concrete
3. Ireland - the same old nonsense

These three are much more important than the 'future relationship' as they have to be sorted for things to progress and I saw nothing from yesterday that says anything different

How the Tory 'rebels' can believe she has gone from calling a customs union a betrayal on Wednesday to supporting an equivalent customs arrangement seems to be stretching trust a bit

The Brexiteers may be happy because May is still leaving the EEA and has said to no custom's union - they are relaxed about WTO which is where they can see this going........

The UK media and the Tories seem to be happy but the EU reaction has been decidedly muted and not very encouraging

It will be interesting what they say next week but I guess there will be 3 main strands

1. Transition still not agreed and depends on WA being settled sooner rather than later
2. Specifically future EU/UK citizens agreed state (ie UK accepts EU demands, no negotiation) and the Irish border (UK accepts the Option C text and will have until October to be clearer on Options A and B)
3. The most likely FTA will be on the same grounds as Canada and be exclusive of services, only certain goods

The Irish are going to have a border as it stands at the moment - Option A of a mutually agreed customs arrangement seems highly improbable so we are looking at the much-fabled technological solution - surprising that neither Norway or Switzerland have installed such technology if it is so available now, nor that someone has come forward to say 'I can do that'...

The can has been kicked down the road again - remember there have not been any real discussions on the final WA legal treaty and the future treaty is still a long way away

She could, and should, have agreed to the transition period as Labour already have on Friday - she didn't which suggests nothing has really changed
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

I think this was good on smart border controls:
https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/03/02/so ... pparently/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Inspections will need to be carried out. Unless it suits one or other jurisdiction to have the inspections carried out elsewhere, which will involve confidence that smugglers won’t just drive past unless forced to pull in, they will be at the border.
I might have misunderstood, but I think Theresa May suggested yesterday that small traders would just be ignored. I can't see how this wouldn't encourage smuggling, & presumably would result in spot checks, so basically, a hard border.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Come on - if you think you're 'ard enough.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

[youtube]TVUxUvyfzFg[/youtube]
Afternoon Tea.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Saurday ard swath(e)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Hi

The speech by May yesterday was a whole load of smoke and mirrors - notice no-one has really made too many comments because it was the typical speech that says nothing and if you want to be persuaded one way or another then you can

As always though - certain of the 'rebels' on the Tory benches have slunk away back into the dark corners they live in- Wollaston, all mouth!

Soubry and Clarke has been pretty quiet, as has been Grieve....

My own take on it

1. No progress on transition - that seems to be take or leave it from the EU and nothing on it
2. Future rights of EU/Uk citizens - nothing concrete
3. Ireland - the same old nonsense

These three are much more important than the 'future relationship' as they have to be sorted for things to progress and I saw nothing from yesterday that says anything different

How the Tory 'rebels' can believe she has gone from calling a customs union a betrayal on Wednesday to supporting an equivalent customs arrangement seems to be stretching trust a bit

The Brexiteers may be happy because May is still leaving the EEA and has said to no custom's union - they are relaxed about WTO which is where they can see this going........

The UK media and the Tories seem to be happy but the EU reaction has been decidedly muted and not very encouraging

It will be interesting what they say next week but I guess there will be 3 main strands

1. Transition still not agreed and depends on WA being settled sooner rather than later
2. Specifically future EU/UK citizens agreed state (ie UK accepts EU demands, no negotiation) and the Irish border (UK accepts the Option C text and will have until October to be clearer on Options A and B)
3. The most likely FTA will be on the same grounds as Canada and be exclusive of services, only certain goods

The Irish are going to have a border as it stands at the moment - Option A of a mutually agreed customs arrangement seems highly improbable so we are looking at the much-fabled technological solution - surprising that neither Norway or Switzerland have installed such technology if it is so available now, nor that someone has come forward to say 'I can do that'...

The can has been kicked down the road again - remember there have not been any real discussions on the final WA legal treaty and the future treaty is still a long way away

She could, and should, have agreed to the transition period as Labour already have on Friday - she didn't which suggests nothing has really changed
Yes - but my concern is that Jacob Rees Mogg is "content" with nothing having been changed. Others may be ok with supporting a sticking plaster\party survival option - but him? Something's going on, I fear.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Royal wedding: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle invite 2,640 commoners (Guardian)
I'm as common as they come, but I've yet to receive my invite (to hang about outside in the rain, as I understand it). Has anyone here received theirs?

Edited - my "t" was purloined
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RIP Michele Hanson.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Commoner?" a status far above my grade.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thank goodness.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Something the cat dragged in" I know my place,g'vnor.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Who are they anyway?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Characters in a JK Rowling book?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Yes - but my concern is that Jacob Rees Mogg is "content" with nothing having been changed. Others may be ok with supporting a sticking plaster\party survival option - but him? Something's going on, I fear.

You may well be right PF - I think that the Brexiteers know something that makes then content with the position taken

It may be that they know the EU will not accept it and that actually the pressure is still building - it may also be the knowledge of how the Tory party internal dynamics are

Soubry has been very quiet - unless I have missed it
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Reporting PF for a physical threat,trouble is admin are either nursing a sore head or have expressed irritation for merely pointing out an error.Waste of time I suspect.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Tory Party internal dynamics"

:sick:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:I go by Chambers.The only real dictionary.

Whatever you do,do not turn over.

Tell that to OUP
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(if yur 'ard enough)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Recognised as such for scrabble,crosswords ie.for my purposes.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Certainly a lot of unwarranted aggression thrown my way.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I blame Constance
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

You might be onto something PF:

http://www.cityam.com/281592/jacob-rees ... -have-give" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jacob Rees Mogg tells fellow Brexiteers: "Everyone will have to give up something" to reach a deal
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

"There are inevitably a few small points that will concern Leave campaigners but we must all recognise that everyone will have to give up something to get a deal, so now is not the time to nitpick," he wrote in the Telegraph.
Jesus. 51.89%.
'kin Cameron.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Has a paw injury,archery related.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Alongside:
https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ree ... 30709.html

Jacob Rees-Mogg has accused Ireland and the European Union of risking a "no deal" Brexit with their "absurd" suggestion that Northern Ireland should be in a common regulatory area with Brussels to avoid a hard border on the island.

The leading Tory Brexiteer blamed "irresponsible, vote-chasing immaturity" from Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and "clear disregard" for the Good Friday Agreement from EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier for the row over the Irish border.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ty-pay-gap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
London's public workers face 'ethnicity pay gap' of up to 37%
Mayor vows action as study finds BME workers in police face ‘particularly stark’ divide
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinyclanger2 wrote:You might be onto something PF:

http://www.cityam.com/281592/jacob-rees ... -have-give" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jacob Rees Mogg tells fellow Brexiteers: "Everyone will have to give up something" to reach a deal
He wants no deal to be the EU's fault I guess, not May's, so the toys-out-of-the-pram routine comes after the EU say May's outline isn't acceptable.

See also tc2's other post above.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Alongside:
https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ree ... 30709.html

Jacob Rees-Mogg has accused Ireland and the European Union of risking a "no deal" Brexit with their "absurd" suggestion that Northern Ireland should be in a common regulatory area with Brussels to avoid a hard border on the island.

The leading Tory Brexiteer blamed "irresponsible, vote-chasing immaturity" from Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and "clear disregard" for the Good Friday Agreement from EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier for the row over the Irish border.
But Theresa May, who agreed to this backstop in December, shares no part in the blame? Peculiar that. I definitely sense shenanigans.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... al-economy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Council leaders across UK believe Brexit will hurt local economies
More than 60% of council leaders and chief executives predict negative impact on their regions, survey finds
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The fact that many of the respondents were from Tory-led councils as well as Labour- and Liberal Democrat-controlled ones, underlines how worries about Brexit – including the loss of £8.4bn of EU regional aid – unites many in control of local government whatever their political persuasion.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

So what are the Tories ones advocating,sitting on hands and shrugging.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:
Royal wedding: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle invite 2,640 commoners (Guardian)
I'm as common as they come, but I've yet to receive my invite (to hang about outside in the rain, as I understand it). Has anyone here received theirs?

Edited - my "t" was purloined
I wouldn't take it personally, by 'Commoners' they probably still mean Kate Middleton & family.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Re: Saurday 3rd & Sunday 4th March 2018

Post by tinybgoat »

Willow904 wrote:
HindleA wrote:Still tea shortages in the Barnsley area,I'm led to believe.
I'll be trekking down to the Co-op later. No doubt they'll have the usual, odd assortment of peculiar shortages (I hope they haven't had a run on mushrooms, I fancy a tuna bake) but thankfully I'm alright for tea.
Just squelched back from our local co-op, Duck eggs wouldn't have been my first choice...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have no idea who these characters are,I'm not really joking.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.homeless.org.uk/connect/blo ... melessness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Brain injury and homelessness"
The Canadian Medical Association Journal, published research in 2008 that 70% of people experiencing homelessness had suffered their first traumatic brain injury before they became homeless. The Disabilities Trust Foundation found in Leeds in 2010 that 48% of people who were homeless had experienced a head injury. In 2013, researchers at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto published data showing that men who were homeless and heavy drinkers were 400 times more likely to receive head injuries than the general population.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:I have no idea who these characters are,I'm not really joking.
I think Prince Harry, is marrying the German leader Mrs Myrtle, or something.
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Myrtle_Warren" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There is probably a word that describes people annoyed by particular letters of the alphabet,I can't stand "w",myself,probably some childhood traumatic experience.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]NcBH4C5RtR8[/youtube]
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Snow Drift.jpg
Snow Drift.jpg (36.04 KiB) Viewed 8674 times
I may have been a bit harsh on BANES council earlier. That's a proper snowdrift. After all, it's not how much snow you get that causes problems, it's how much more you get than normal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43266514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
I'll be trekking down to the Co-op later. No doubt they'll have the usual, odd assortment of peculiar shortages (I hope they haven't had a run on mushrooms, I fancy a tuna bake) but thankfully I'm alright for tea.
Just squelched back from our local co-op, Duck eggs wouldn't have been my first choice...

Quails' eggs?

Edited to add - guess what?

And again - to move same. Not firing on all two cylinders, today.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 03 Mar, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Now an apostrophe thief is on the loose.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... s-12120700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First major poll since Theresa May's crunch EU speech reveals less optimism about Brexit success
Exclusive ComRes survey for Mirror held after the PM’s big Brexit speech on Friday showed 19 per cent of voters wished she’d announced a new General Election
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinybgoat wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
I came back with some part-baked baguettes, a four pack of Galaxy Ripple bars and a carton of orange juice. No mushrooms, alas.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... s-12120700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First major poll since Theresa May's crunch EU speech reveals less optimism about Brexit success
Exclusive ComRes survey for Mirror held after the PM’s big Brexit speech on Friday showed 19 per cent of voters wished she’d announced a new General Election
Not 91%?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

One quail?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

John McDonnell in the piece above:
“We don’t believe in pulling up the drawbridge at Dover and peering out at the rest of the world.”
Quite. We believe in pulling up the drawbridge and not even bothering to look out.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Disappointingly:
If there was another referendum on EU membership, Brexiteers are three points ahead of Remainers, almost the same as the 2016 result.

Then again, we don't do polls.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:One quail?
Cutbacks.

(Cutback's and cutbacks' are also possible.)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Is that a cutback or The Cutback?