Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th March 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th March 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

In acknowledgement of those with hangovers and watch out for certain paragraphs that attack.

Using a face cleaner pad thing and pedegg,the waxing I may leave until another day.Some sort of transference thing.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saurday 10th & Sunday 11th March 2018

Post by HindleA »

Did everybody that gets Private Eye delivered get it this week,mine wasn't/as yet?Usually on Wednesday,sometimes the next day,never this late.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

May even get what's left of my teeth sorted.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Still finding clothes never worn,still tending to do the wear the same gear repeatedly but am attempting some variation,beyond footwear and need/comfort can't quite get the not looking like pigpen thing
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not sleeping and having an early night fresh for today worked well,fell asleep in the middle of making a roll-up (all tobacco later retrieved)and woke up at 2am.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tc2 about last weekend,tends to appear on time and half/double time rates,PF in negotiations for a substantial amount to appear/thank.

PS how times change at best time and a quarter here overtime rate,in my first job I got such things as "dirty money" enhancements.Still productivity has vastly improved....
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Has anyone seen HowSilly since I told them to "bugger off" for pointing out that Leeds had been thrashed by Wolves?

I was only joking :twisted:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

In answer to AK's comments on why it's quiet, I think there's just so little political substance to actually discuss.

We have a "zombie government". When did you last hear about a green or white paper?

May makes announcements of things she is going to do, but a 10 year old could deconstruct them, no need for the might of FTN, and they never happen anyway.

So all we can really do is sit here and record the failures, as HindleA in particular does so effectively.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.11v11.com/teams/wolverhampt ... %20United/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Queen's Speech 2017
My Lords and Members of the House of Commons.

My government’s priority is to secure the best possible deal as the country leaves the European Union. My ministers are committed to working with Parliament, the devolved administrations, business and others to build the widest possible consensus on the country’s future outside the European Union.

A bill will be introduced to repeal the European Communities Act and provide certainty for individuals and businesses. This will be complemented by legislation to ensure that the United Kingdom makes a success of Brexit, establishing new national policies on immigration, international sanctions, nuclear safeguards, agriculture, and fisheries.

My government will seek to maintain a deep and special partnership with European allies and to forge new trading relationships across the globe. New bills on trade and customs will help to implement an independent trade policy, and support will be given to help British businesses export to markets around the world.

My ministers will strengthen the economy so that it supports the creation of jobs and generates the tax revenues needed to invest in the National Health Service, schools, and other public services.

My government will continue to improve the public finances, while keeping taxes low. It will spread prosperity and opportunity across the country through a new modern, industrial strategy.

My government will work to attract investment in infrastructure to support economic growth. Legislation will be introduced to ensure the United Kingdom remains a world leader in new industries, including electric cars and commercial satellites. A new bill will also be brought forward to deliver the next phase of high-speed rail.

My government will continue to work to ensure that every child has the opportunity to attend a good school and that all schools are fairly funded. My ministers will work to ensure people have the skills they need for the high-skilled, high-wage jobs of the future, including through a major reform of technical education.

The National Living Wage will be increased so that people who are on the lowest pay benefit from the same improvements in earnings as higher paid workers. My ministers will seek to enhance rights and protections in the modern workplace.

My government will make further progress to tackle the gender pay gap and discrimination against people on the basis of their race, faith, gender, disability or sexual orientation.

Legislation will be brought forward to protect the victims of domestic violence and abuse.

My government will reform mental health legislation and ensure that mental health is prioritised in the National Health Service in England.

Proposals will be brought forward to ban unfair tenant fees, promote fairness and transparency in the housing market, and help ensure more homes are built.

My ministers will work to improve social care and will bring forward proposals for consultation.

My government will ensure fairer markets for consumers, this will include bringing forward measures to help tackle unfair practices in the energy market to help reduce energy bills.

A priority will be to build a more united country, strengthening the social, economic and cultural bonds between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

My government will work in cooperation with the devolved administrations, and it will work with all of the parties in Northern Ireland to support the return of devolved government.

A new law will ensure that the United Kingdom retains its world-class regime protecting personal data, and proposals for a new digital charter will be brought forward to ensure that the United Kingdom is the safest place to be online.

Legislation will also be introduced to modernise the courts system and to help reduce motor insurance premiums.

My government will initiate a full public inquiry into the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower to ascertain the causes, and ensure that the appropriate lessons are learnt.

To support victims, my government will take forward measures to introduce an independent public advocate, who will act for bereaved families after a public disaster and support them at public inquests.

My ministers will continue to invest in our gallant Armed Forces, meeting the NATO commitment to spend at least two per cent of national income on defence, and delivering on the Armed Forces Covenant across the United Kingdom.

My government will bring forward proposals to ensure that critical national infrastructure is protected to safeguard national security.

A commission for countering extremism will be established to support the government in stamping out extremist ideology in all its forms, both across society and on the internet, so it is denied a safe space to spread.

In the light of the terrorist attacks in Manchester and London, my government’s counter-terrorism strategy will be reviewed to ensure that the police and security services have all the powers they need, and that the length of custodial sentences for terrorism-related offences are sufficient to keep the population safe.

My ministers will ensure that the United Kingdom’s leading role on the world stage is maintained and enhanced as it leaves the European Union.

As a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council, committed to spending zero point seven per cent of national income on international development, my government will continue to drive international efforts that increase global security and project British values around the world.

My government will work to find sustainable political solutions to conflicts across the Middle East. It will work to tackle the threat of terrorism at source by continuing the United Kingdom’s leading role in international military action to destroy Daesh in Iraq and Syria. It will also lead efforts to reform the international system to improve the United Kingdom’s ability to tackle mass migration, alleviate poverty, and end modern slavery.

My government will continue to support international action against climate change, including the implementation of the Paris Agreement.

Prince Philip and I look forward to welcoming Their Majesties King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain on a State Visit in July.

My government will host the Commonwealth Summit in April of next year to cement its relevance to this, and future generations.

Members of the House of Commons:

Estimates for the public services will be laid before you.

My Lords and Members of the House of Commons:

Other measures will be laid before you.

I pray that the blessing of Almighty God may rest upon your counsels.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

My word it's an epic fail by May isn't it?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

The King & Queen of Spain did come TBF ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The "economy must be strong enough before attending to the Nation's health care needs"etc nonsense/arse about faceness
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

World leader in meaningless pap,to be strictly fair.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 10 Mar, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:The "economy must be strong enough before attending to the Nation's health care needs"etc nonsense/arse about faceness
Yes exactly

While wrecking it
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Out of thoughtfulness of the welfare of my parents,who are still in recovery over me paying last time/having more than a tenner of legal tender on me,I am allowing them to pay.My over generosity embarrasses me sometimes..
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"NHS delayed until resources allow'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Taxes low-the old Con trick ,no not overall/that tax,this/these.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lib Dem Spring(hah) Conference in Southport

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.libdems.org.uk/spring-conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:Lib Dem Spring(hah) Conference in Southport

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.libdems.org.uk/spring-conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is noticeably milder here this morning.

Though wet :-(
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Meanwhile from the BBC
Russian spy: Rudd to chair Cobra after crime scene visit
Surely it should be COBRA!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

For the uneducated/deprived who didn't get/understand "pigpen" reference.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (3.75 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I do have decent gear it I just manage to bleach designer fag hole ventillate etc very quickly.Put it this way,when I wore a suit and looked vaguely presentable for my wedding my better half didn't recognise me.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Slumming it in my leather chaired every ten minute cheap wi fi enabled sit back and relax omnibus,even deigning to speak to people-urghhh
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:In answer to AK's comments on why it's quiet, I think there's just so little political substance to actually discuss.

We have a "zombie government". When did you last hear about a green or white paper?

May makes announcements of things she is going to do, but a 10 year old could deconstruct them, no need for the might of FTN, and they never happen anyway.

So all we can really do is sit here and record the failures, as HindleA in particular does so effectively.
There's only brexit, and I don't think there's anything left to discuss here, we're all just looking on in horror.

Waiting for everything to go tits up for the tories, and most depressingly of all, it may not.

As for Leeds, what can I say? Better than Sunderland? Up the Boro! :D
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

My government will continue to improve the public finances, while keeping taxes low. It will spread prosperity and opportunity across the country through a new modern, industrial strategy.

My government will work to attract investment in infrastructure to support economic growth.
The invisible industrial strategy will be following on from the invisible industrial strategy of Osborne. Nearly 8 years of this now and still sfa.

'Work to attract investment in infrastructure'? How about we build our own, rather than begging the Chinese and the French to do it.

Of all the economic indicators of the success of the govt, the most obvious sign of failure is the construction sector, consistently undershooting forecasts for years now while being the one area of the economy the govt can influence quite directly.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

We could talk about cricket instead? Less controversial than football.

Should Bairstow be opening in Tests, for example.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Thanks for the comments on the Industrial Strategy gilsey

I wonder what's happened to it.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Thanks for the comments on the Industrial Strategy gilsey

I guess you are hinting that it turns out to be completely incompatible with Hard Brexit :roll:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Here's the latest brexit car crash.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Faisal Islam

Verified account

@faisalislam
2h2 hours ago
More Faisal Islam Retweeted Nick Eardley
Interesting leak on Brexit devolution issue that is causing more severe headaches in Government:
I'm wondering if this actually helps the govt. While Sturgeon's spending time arguing about this, she's not arguing the remain/soft brexit case.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Thanks for the comments on the Industrial Strategy gilsey

I guess you are hinting that it turns out to be completely incompatible with Hard Brexit :roll:
I wasn't actually, being nonexistent it can be a complete failure even without hard brexit, that's how bad they are.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

I wasn't actually, being nonexistent it can be a complete failure even without hard brexit, that's how bad they are.
You're right, I was crediting them with some reason, rather than just sheer incompetence!
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... llegations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"MPs call on John Bercow to resign over bullying allegations"
The calls follow a Newsnight investigation, aired on Thursday, which alleged that the Buckinghamshire MP had bullied his former private secretary Kate Emms, leading to her being signed off with post-traumatic stress disorder.
I can see why that's an issue, but ..
Other Members of Parliament, speaking anonymously to Telegraph reporters, complained of Mr Bercow’s ‘volatile’ temperament and ‘slightly paranoid’ manner.
‘How he can say that he is surprised about accusations of outbursts and bullying when he is prepared to speak to senior MPs the way he does is beyond most of us. It’s there on camera every week.’
Can't imagine why Bercow might be slightly paranoid.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Londoner denied NHS cancer care: 'It's like I'm being left to die
I'm not really understanding how someone with a NI no. with a long history of paying tax and NI can be claimed by the Home Office that "it could find no record of him in its files". How, if he was here illegally, was he able to obtain a marriage licence? If he was treated as a British citizen when he married and was not asked for a visa at that time then isn't the current government bound by the recognition of him as a British citizen by a previous government?

This doesn't appear to be a harsher application of rules but a change in the rules and one that affects everyone because its clear that this government doesn't see itself as bound by the social contracts between citizens and previous governments. Our NI contributions have been taken but the basis on which they were made has been broken. We have been conned by populist rhetoric of austerity and "something for nothing" bollocks into accepting a shrinking of the state and an increasing "nothing for something" norm. The rapidity with which we have been willing to give up our rights to social security and universal healthcare is quite astonishing and depressing. If NI contributions mean nothing in terms of rights to be considered British, if they mean nothing in terms of rights to receive healthcare or rights to receive out of work or sickness or disability support, then they mean nothing at all. They have become a fraud in the hands of current Tory government and the welfare state is already dead.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Great post Willow
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Great post Willow
Just musing on the point at which the Tories cross the line from trying to dismantle our social security system to succeeding.

I guess it would be less concerning if it was a more domestic thing. If we could just vote them out and vote in another government to rebuild the phoenix from the ashes.

But the way in which events here are mirrored in the US and the web of interconnectedness globally between the far right and Putin's Russia casts a very dark and worrying shadow. How do you fight manipulation and disinformation on such a scale?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Still in abeyance with Labour and holistic approach and all that jazz,I don't quite see the difference that clearly,Governments of all stripes have aided and abetted both the residualisation of contributory effects and ways to play the double accounting for need reduction in income/combination card.The benefity integrity project,SWAB etc has a long and inglorious history.Simplification I believe shouldn't be an aim,I want complexity,no underestimation should be made as to the perceived fairness in psychological terms in not being treated/viewed/ as the same when in a fundamentally different situation.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Contribution should bloody mean something both ways.Exempting people on zero basis gives further excuse.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK may have breached human rights over Grenfell Tower, says UN
Special rapporteur says views of survivors have not been heard before and after the fire
Interesting views from a Canadian lawyer, illustrates a little of what I touched on earlier about global patterns and stuff I've said before about the often conflicting status of property as both shelter and investment:
Farha has been a persistent critic of what she calls the “financialisation” of housing, by which unregulated global capital is allowed to pour billions into exclusive, hyper-expensive new property developments in cities such as London, excluding local residents from local housing, pushing up rents and and fuelling housing instability.

She said it felt symbolic that Grenfell Tower was in Kensington and Chelsea, one of the wealthiest and most socially unequal boroughs in the capital: “My sense is that in London there is an emphasis on the development of property to attract money and wealth to the city. My concern is that is overemphasised, and the standards and wellbeing of tenants in social housing are underemphasised, and that is a structural issue.”
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Looking at the gateway for DLA" another one.

Neither is it a case of an easy fit wingism thing,Brown was astute in targeted beneficial tweakings,I have concerns about "State" solutions rather than genuine progression ie.actual choice/control.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Private Eye just arrived.Am I that obsessed/impatient I've already done the crossword online? Rhetorical question
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Could do again ,I'm sure having two entries will increase my chances immeasureably.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some eons ago a Mr /Mrs Rogers from Sheffield seemed to win the New Statesman crossword repeatedly,I won it twice.
Attachments
IMG_20180310_132614_kindlephoto-85840134.jpg
IMG_20180310_132614_kindlephoto-85840134.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 5530 times
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 10 Mar, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Nobody would be that egotistical to keep part of a book token for over thirty years?
Attachments
IMG_20180310_130825_burst_03.jpg
IMG_20180310_130825_burst_03.jpg (158.3 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apologies for self indulgence it keeps me plugging away.That's my excuse anyway.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... llegations
"MPs call on John Bercow to resign over bullying allegations"
The calls follow a Newsnight investigation, aired on Thursday, which alleged that the Buckinghamshire MP had bullied his former private secretary Kate Emms, leading to her being signed off with post-traumatic stress disorder.
I can see why that's an issue, but ..
Other Members of Parliament, speaking anonymously to Telegraph reporters, complained of Mr Bercow’s ‘volatile’ temperament and ‘slightly paranoid’ manner.
‘How he can say that he is surprised about accusations of outbursts and bullying when he is prepared to speak to senior MPs the way he does is beyond most of us. It’s there on camera every week.’
Can't imagine why Bercow might be slightly paranoid.
Guido running with the line that he previously promised he would step down around now anyway.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all. Back from that Oxford again. Definitely the last time I renew those books...I ended up taking pics of the occupants of the High Road from 1900-1908 as I was running out of time. Time for them to return to the archive.

So...what's been happening hereabouts?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

To be fair,I keep ridicilous things,a receipt for three thousands spoons from Gillespie Road,because it was the first time I saw Highbury.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Excellent posts here today. I turned in after my disco night cancellation disappointment on last night's thread. I missed HindleA's musings on assisted dying, state sanctioned suicides and other dangers. Worth checking out if you've not read them.