Monday 19th March 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Monday 19th March 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Monday 19th March 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ite-unison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

new-breed-trade-union-rmt-unite-unison

John Harris on the need for new style Unions.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This is interesting. I don't have the time or expertise to really get into it, but it seems there were a few tiny errors in the theory behind benefits and size of family!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Kevin Maguire

Verified account

@Kevin_Maguire
60m60 minutes ago
More
Serial liar Boris Johnson asking today for unity against Russia from an EU he demonised with Fake News, fibbed about in the referendum and continues to ridicule is the chutzpah of an over-privileged oaf
:D

Morning all.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Twitter thread on Brexit attitudes. Seems about right:

Sylvia de Mars
@sylviademars
Replying to @commonslibrary, @smthgsmthg, and 3 others
The John Curtice telling us about opinion polling on Brexit one year on. Summary: the public remains very much divided - leave and remain perspectives still poll at about 50% each on all questions asked. #Brexit1yeartogo
9:40 am · 19 Mar 2018
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Sylvia de Mars
@sylviademars
·
11m
Third: information processing. Psychological research show that information processing is biased towards confirming identity/beliefs. Eg, factual data unlikely to sway anyone with strong, identity-shaping views. People tend to agree with research that backs their initial views.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Something to cheer us up.
‘They are our salvation’: the Sicilian town revived by refugees
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... y-refugees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

It's bloody snowing - again! I thought it was all meant to have gone away today.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:Twitter thread on Brexit attitudes. Seems about right:

Sylvia de Mars
@sylviademars
Replying to @commonslibrary, @smthgsmthg, and 3 others
The John Curtice telling us about opinion polling on Brexit one year on. Summary: the public remains very much divided - leave and remain perspectives still poll at about 50% each on all questions asked. #Brexit1yeartogo
9:40 am · 19 Mar 2018
From the thread
"is there too much equality for non-white people" is moving towards "yes"
Clearly too much equality is a thing now.
I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A local story. At some point on Saturday evening we saw an emergency vehicle go past, blue flashing light and all, and then turn round in the close next to us and go back, this is v. v. unusual where we live, turns out it was to do with this.
Kildale Village Hall is about a mile away, someone unfamiliar with the area had taken a wrong turn.

More than 30 runners in 'hypothermic state’ rescued on North Yorkshire Moors
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... e-14427045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The rescue team was alerted at 8pm when Yorkshire Ambulance Service requested help with more than 30 hypothermia cases at Kildale.

Cleveland Mountain Rescue Team set up in Great Ayton and deployed some team members to Kildale to liaise with the event organisers.

They reported around 100 competitors needing evacuation.

A spokesman for Cleveland Mountain Rescue Team said: “Our two Land Rover ambulances were sent to remote points on the route to help with competitors who were still running. A couple of team members in their personal 4x4 vehicles were then sent to Kildale to start moving some of the stranded runners.
Just to say, these people are completely mad, what were they thinking to go ahead with the race?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Just got back from the school run. The school didn't open until 10.45am today because of overnight snow. All the roads and pavements around the school were completely cleared and it's melting pretty fast so hopefully we'll be back to normal soon.

@Porfavor: We haven't had a great deal of snow here but we've had more than enough for one year, as far as I'm concerned, so I feel your pain! It's March, for goodness sake. Enough already! :)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Someone, PfY maybe, posted that fishing made up 0.05% of GDP?
If Scottish tories think it's a hill to die on they should read this.

Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@gilsey

The last snowfall here led to the Bath half marathon being cancelled and the latest snowfall put paid to the inaugural Weston-Super-Mare half marathon. So lots of disappointed runners, but I think it's the only sensible option when conditions that weren't planned for pose extra risks. (Although I suppose snow in Yorkshire in March might have been anticipated and accounted for by organisers?!)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:Just got back from the school run. The school didn't open until 10.45am today because of overnight snow. All the roads and pavements around the school were completely cleared and it's melting pretty fast so hopefully we'll be back to normal soon.

@Porfavor: We haven't had a great deal of snow here but we've had more than enough for one year, as far as I'm concerned, so I feel your pain! It's March, for goodness sake. Enough already! :)
I tend to over-react to our South Coast snow - we have it nowhere near as badly as other parts of the country. It rarely snows and, if it does, it even more rarely settles. However, this year we've had two lots of settling snow. Bit of a shock to the system!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:@gilsey

The last snowfall here led to the Bath half marathon being cancelled and the latest snowfall put paid to the inaugural Weston-Super-Mare half marathon. So lots of disappointed runners, but I think it's the only sensible option when conditions that weren't planned for pose extra risks. (Although I suppose snow in Yorkshire in March might have been anticipated and accounted for by organisers?!)
Those races were round the town? This was over the top of the moors!
The Mountain Rescue spokesman did say they were well equipped, just as well or I think there'd have been fatalities.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Bet that went down well with the Irish government - "shut up and go away" might be one response...

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Briefcase Michael

@BriefcaseMike

Robinson introduces right-wing think tank Policy Exchange as simply "Policy Exchange". Usual breach of BBC guidelines on informing listeners of the political allegiance of contributors. #r4today @bbcr4today
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Angela Rayner‏
Verified account
@AngelaRayner
3h3 hours ago

Foreign sec who cannot recall decisions on a failed garden city project costing £46m. A homelessness minister who doesn't know why homelessness is rising. A defence secretary who says just shut up&go away to Russia. An education sec who says school funding is rising when it isn't.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
Willow904 wrote:@gilsey

Those races were round the town? This was over the top of the moors!
The Mountain Rescue spokesman did say they were well equipped, just as well or I think there'd have been fatalities.
Yes, snow & ice on the roads wouldn't have been part of the risk assessment filed with the application to stage the races so they have little choice but to cancel, whereas some lying snow on the moors could be part of the usual risk assessment for a cross country race. Sounds to me like they were caught out by the unusually cold temperatures rather than just snow underfoot. Glad everyone seems to have been rescued OK.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

DYmWZ-sU0AA01T8.jpg
DYmWZ-sU0AA01T8.jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 7879 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

George Smiley
‏@georgescircus

Jacob Rees-Mogg's firm invested in a blacklisted Russian bank. Sberbank is subject to sanctions by the US and EU (Reg. 833/2014.) The sanctions are for bombing civilians in Syria, hacking elections. Murdering people aboard holiday jets, or on our streets is unacceptable.
It's going to be interesting to see how far our media delve into the amount of Russian money floating around the UK, especially laundered money 'washed' via the housing market.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

From April 2002.
The Ministry of Defence turned large parts of the country into a giant laboratory to conduct a series of secret germ warfare tests on the public.
A government report just released provides for the first time a comprehensive official history of Britain's biological weapons trials between 1940 and 1979.

Many of these tests involved releasing potentially dangerous chemicals and micro-organisms over vast swaths of the population without the public being told.

While details of some secret trials have emerged in recent years, the 60-page report reveals new information about more than 100 covert experiments.
The report reveals that military personnel were briefed to tell any 'inquisitive inquirer' the trials were part of research projects into weather and air pollution.

The tests, carried out by government scientists at Porton Down, were designed to help the MoD assess Britain's vulnerability if the Russians were to have released clouds of deadly germs over the country.

In most cases, the trials did not use biological weapons but alternatives which scientists believed would mimic germ warfare and which the MoD claimed were harmless. But families in certain areas of the country who have children with birth defects are demanding a public inquiry.

One chapter of the report, 'The Fluorescent Particle Trials', reveals how between 1955 and 1963 planes flew from north-east England to the tip of Cornwall along the south and west coasts, dropping huge amounts of zinc cadmium sulphide on the population. The chemical drifted miles inland, its fluorescence allowing the spread to be monitored. In another trial using zinc cadmium sulphide, a generator was towed along a road near Frome in Somerset where it spewed the chemical for an hour.

While the Government has insisted the chemical is safe, cadmium is recognised as a cause of lung cancer and during the Second World War was considered by the Allies as a chemical weapon.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... calscience" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Matt Thomas Retweeted bheardmedia

General Election 2017, Campaign Spending Per Vote Received:
Tories: £1.36
Labour: £0.85

Where would the Tories be without those billionaire tax-avoiders, hedge fund managers, Russian Oligarchs, illegal call centre practices & DUP bungs?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

On the trade deal thing -

It's almost as though the EU has done the exasperated parent thing and is saying "Ok, then. Off you go. See how that turns out for you. But remember that you've still, for now, got a home to come back to." At least I hope so.

Step forward Liam Fox. Although I'm under no illusion that he has our best interests at heart. And I'm including "Remainers" and "Brexiters" in that "our". Could actually turn out to be a good thing.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]T7dNqz9F94M[/youtube]
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote: Yes, snow & ice on the roads wouldn't have been part of the risk assessment filed with the application to stage the races so they have little choice but to cancel, whereas some lying snow on the moors could be part of the usual risk assessment for a cross country race. Sounds to me like they were caught out by the unusually cold temperatures rather than just snow underfoot. Glad everyone seems to have been rescued OK.
It did snow all day but it was quite light so there wouldn't have been any deep snow underfoot apart from the odd drift. It was the wind chill that was the problem, it was really bad here over the weekend, and it had been forecast.
I think they just thought they were hard, which of course they are compared with normal people. :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:On the trade deal thing -

It's almost as though the EU has done the exasperated parent thing and is saying "Ok, then. Off you go. See how that turns out for you. But remember that you've still, for now, got a home to come back to." At least I hope so.

Step forward Liam Fox. Although I'm under no illusion that he has our best interests at heart. And I'm including "Remainers" and "Brexiters" in that "our". Could actually turn out to be a good thing.
A problem with this is that Tory government know this, they're relying upon it. It's not going to be them who'll experience any hardship in between UK going it on own and rejoining EU later.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Howdy, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I mean, look and listen to Johnson
The dude has no shame, says what he likes, goes where he wants and dares the world to pull him up on any of it
So far, no one has cold-cocked him in response to his jackassery
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

He can thank left-wingers for the non-violence
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:On the trade deal thing -

A problem with this is that Tory government know this, they're relying upon it. It's not going to be them who'll experience any hardship in between UK going it on own and rejoining EU later.

Yes - but I'm rather hoping for a great public backlash which now may happen sooner rather than later.

Edited -

to move "now". It's been irritating me for some time, and I could stand it no longer.
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 19 Mar, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

It looks like another exercise in kicking the contentious bits down the road.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Of course, there's always the "that's confidential, but take my word for it, it'll be great" ploy . . .
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

This is a good take on things...

Seven broken promises on transition- by Open Britain
The seven promises that were made were:

A transition period will be about ‘implementing’ the future relationship, not negotiating it
The UK will not pay money to the EU after March 2019
The UK will not have to abide by EU rules during transition
The UK will ‘take back control’ of fisheries policy
Free movement will end in March 2019
The UK will have new trade deals ready to come into force on 29 March 2019
The implementation period would last for two years and should not be time limited
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Thanks for the commentary on the EU stuff.

It's going to be quite hard to find folk who are happy with it (in the UK at least) it seems!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Dan Roberts

@RobertsDan

Reading the transcript of David Davis remarks it strikes me that this another battle of the definite and indefinite articles. The UK is ready to sign up for 'a' backstop solution on Northern Ireland, but not necessarily 'the' backstop proposed in the EU's recent draft legal text.
1:23 PM - Mar 19, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Coincidentally it was this time of year the West Lancs Half was cancelled in times of yore due to snow/weather,the carrier pigeon didn't reach me in time and I didn't find out until I was there.It was held the next week and of course the Sheffield Half officially was due to water delivery problems equally blissfully unaware until I saw it on the news after doing it(as many did)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Blevins

@skydavidblevins

Barnier/Davis: "We have a deal." Sinn Fein: "The British PM has buckled on the Irish border." DUP: "Oh no she hasn't." Clear as mud. #Brexit
3:43 PM - Mar 19, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Also people getting there or not,not just runners,vols etc.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Also people getting there or not,not just runners,vols etc.
Vols is short for volunteers - or is there an "e" missing?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

:D

"Another is that most proponents now acknowledge that any UBI introduced today would have to complement rather than replace existing benefits. While this makes it less attractive from the perspective of simplicity, it allays my fears that people without other means would be left worse off than now"

http://www.compassonline.org.uk/univers ... the-fence/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How true is this?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Theresa May's 2017 GE disaster.jpg
Theresa May's 2017 GE disaster.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
"Theresa May lost her majority in the 2017 election despite outspending Labour by more than £7m."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 7-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Wouldn't necessarilly change my mind,contribution should still be fundamentally accounted for both ways,IMHO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just heard Boris Johnson (Sky TV News) affecting to have "forgotten what the question was" re the latest "Brexit" developments. So, having "forgotten the question", he then proceeded to give a general "sunny uplands" monologue.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
HindleA wrote:Also people getting there or not,not just runners,vols etc.
Vols is short for volunteers - or is there an "e" missing?
Vole patrol
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Wouldn't necessarilly change my mind,contribution should still be fundamentally accounted for both ways,IMHO.
What counts towards contribution? Who does the accounting?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Anthony White

@AnthonyJWhite79
8h8 hours ago
More
Replying to @droonie @ottocrat @solange_lebourg
Retitled '50 Ways That 'Leave's A Liar'.
They didn't start a hashtag for this but you can see the suggestions on @ottocrat twitter account.
https://twitter.com/ottocrat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The Irish Border

@BorderIrish
4h4 hours ago
More
I have voted to leave being the border of Northern Ireland. It is the will of me. During the transition period I will go on being the border of Northern Ireland and then I will be pretending to be a technological solution to myself by tweeting ferciously and ignoring smugglers.
:lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tories head for record low in London local elections

Tory psephologist predicts Conservatives will be hit by big rise in Labour support

Conservative party support in London looks set to slump to a record low at the local elections on 3 May as the young, ethnically diverse electorate turns to Labour in increasing numbers.

Projections from the Tory peer and psephologist Robert Hayward indicate the Conservatives will lose about 100 council seats. (Guardian)
Here's hoping.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -elections

Edited to add -

PTO

(I had it all planned and then along came RogerOThornhill.)