Thursday 29th March 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 29th March 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Re: Thursday 29th March 2018

Post by mbc1955 »

If no-one else will, I'll say good morning back atcha!
The truth ferret speaks!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The latest Home Office Failure on those 600,000 missing dossiers goes back to TMay who appears to have been a dismal failure all round, beginning with cutting police AND CPSO numbers so drastically .

London has for years been a free- roaming zone for Russian spooks plus their cheaper auxiliaries, enough of those for two or three at a time to shadow expats --

Google -- London's kremlin spy nest at the International NYT .

A few days ago Ken Clarke said on R4 " London is the money-laundering capital of Europe ... the world even ". For which one pays a price .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

And ... good morning :-)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good morning Dan.

I watched this programme last night, don't recommend it, I'd thought from the title maybe the BBC had drafted in some experts to illuminate us but no, it was the usual astonishingly ill-informed bods off the street.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09xyjcm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kuenssberg only appeared at the beginning and end though so don't let that put you off.

The remain voters had nothing to say. The leave voters seemed utterly bewildered, wailing I don't understand..... why it's taking so long, why we have to pay all this money to the EU, etc, it never seems to occur to them to engage their brain and find out. One of them did mention the Irish border as a problem but didn't seem to know why it was a problem.

"My parents came from the Caribbean but they came to work"

Once again I find myself ruminating on the extent to which the EU is a victim of its own success as a single market, probably 90% of the population have no idea about the complexities of importing and exporting without it and I don't think I've ever seen politicians or the media explain it properly for a mass audience before or since the referendum, everyone just seems to accept it like the air we breathe. The free market in goods is the baby we're going to throw out with the bathwater.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Morning all.

Have decided to take a day off from serious politics.

I know it's childish, but this has been making me chuckle this morning:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CamberwickAnal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:rofl:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Brussels officials say the U.K. government has totally changed its position since the autumn, when it was still insisting that it wanted complete agreement on the future relationship as part of next year’s formal withdrawal agreement. “Now they want only a fluffy 10-page political declaration,” a senior official says. “A detailed agreement would show how far the future relationship is inferior to membership. It would slaughter all unicorns.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-year-out ... 1522274770" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Dorian Lynskey

@Dorianlynskey
13h13 hours ago
More
Being really interested in politics in 2018 is like being really interested in punching myself in the face over and over again. It's a disease.
On that note, I'm off to do something useful.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Looking like the Easter break might have come at an opportune moment, all told.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Happy Gregory Maundy Thursday, everyone.

Edited to add-

Just noticed that I've typed his name in reverse! Wonder what brought that on? School registration revisited?
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 29 Mar, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Will Hazell
Verified account
@whazell
Follow Follow @whazell
More
BREAKING: Toby Young resigns as director of MAT which runs West London Free School https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... he-founded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … @tes
That's that then - free to go away and write about genetics being everything and schools can't hope to do very much to counteract it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Dearie me...

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hous ... ung-people" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Press release

Housing support for young people
Housing costs will be available to 18 to 21-year-olds under Universal Credit to make sure young people from all backgrounds can get a job and progress into work.

Look forward to the reinstatement of far less non interest bearing plus charges housing support,maybe not.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Though in terms of upward" fairness" rather than downwards useful.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Happy Gregory Maundy Thursday, everyone.

Edited to add-

Just noticed that I've typed his name in reverse! Wonder what brought that on? School registration revisited?
Never heard of the man until you mentioned him. Gracious me, interesting person.
Good-afternoon to you and everyone else.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

People in work Earnings and working hours National Living Wage earners fall short of average family spending
National Living Wage earners fall short of average family spending
29 March 2018

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlab ... lang=welsh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ONS article
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Rather oddly, Yulia Skripal who yesterday was said to have a 1% chance of recovery is now rapidly recovering.

Which is obviously great news.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Nearly eight years of documented Tory government's irresponsible, harmful policy, incompetent international relations and repeated domestic failures and they're blaming others, relying on expensive media selling squirrel.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Rather oddly, Yulia Skripal who yesterday was said to have a 1% chance of recovery is now rapidly recovering.

Several statements about this curious affair have been made with great confidence at the time, only to seemingly unravel later.

Just saying.......
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Crace !

/the-sky-wont-fall-in-after-brexit- maybe-not-for-you-theresa ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/co ... ou-theresa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Rather oddly, Yulia Skripal who yesterday was said to have a 1% chance of recovery is now rapidly recovering.

Several statements about this curious affair have been made with great confidence at the time, only to seemingly unravel later.

Just saying.......
You're right
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The mandala started by Mr citizen and I is complete
Love to you, Ephemerid and family
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Happy Gregory Maundy Thursday, everyone.

Edited to add-

Never heard of the man until you mentioned him. Gracious me, interesting person.
Good-afternoon to you and everyone else.
Me neither:

http://spartacus-educational.com/SSgregory.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The author Brian Marriner has pointed out: "It has been claimed by some that Gregory even suggested the introduction of the new order of the OBE in order to coin more income - even from OBEs he got £20 commission a time.... Gregory had an office in Whitehall at 38 Parliament Street, which had a rear office in Cannon Row (he was always one to leave himself an escape route)." Knighthoods cost about £10,000 and baronetcies £40,000 and it has been estimated that Gregory received commission of about £30,000 a year.
Surprisingly he was neither an old Etonian, or a Conservative Party Treasured, but still seems to have become something of a role model.
edit, meant Treasurer,not Chairman (probably)
Last edited by tinybgoat on Thu 29 Mar, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

These appeared next to each other on my timeline. Can't imagine Nick R would lose much sleep over our failure to protect Polish builders.
Samuel West

Verified account

@exitthelemming
6h6 hours ago
More
Polish building contractor tells me that since the referendum he’s lost many of his best workers; prompt, skilled, polite, brilliant people. “They’ve gone back to Poland. People are worried.”

Ashamed that my country couldn’t make them feel safe
Nick Robinson

Verified account

@bbcnickrobinson
11h11 hours ago
More
How has it come to this ? A man who calls the Holocaust a ‘hoax’ is defended on the grounds he’s about to win a council seat? Never forgetting the greatest ever crime against humanity is the way we protect all (not just Jews) from the horror we face when ideology trumps humanity
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

David Cameron laments 'painfully slow' fracking progress in UK
He blames green campaigners for delays, but believes industry will eventually take off in UK

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ress-in-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First felt blind anger but dissolved quickly into hope because Dave is consistently wrong
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Nick R should maybe note that Shawcroft hasn't exactly got away unscathed after making that crass observation.

Only a matter of time before she leaves the NEC as well, good riddance as far as I am concerned.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I know I said I was going to stay away from serious politics, but having come across this I thought I would share it as it's sort of thing that might otherwise go unnoticed:

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Senior Tory MPs accused of accepting money from former Soviet states
Journalist uses parliamentary privilege to name Liam Fox and John Whittingdale at Russian corruption hearing
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Good one by the beeb on SCL and CA, government, for the use of , --

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43581892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

DZcXogcW0AAlrqm.jpg
DZcXogcW0AAlrqm.jpg (30.49 KiB) Viewed 9329 times
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That one can't be allowed to stay up, shurely?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:That one can't be allowed to stay up, shurely?
No, thankfully, says "Account Suspended" now ;)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

No Question Time tonight so I had to make do with Newsnight and oh look, there's Michael Levy allowed to sit there blathering on unopposed about Corbyn's antisemitism. The BBC are absolutely stoking this nonsense up, I heard a presenter on Radio 5 this afternoon say 'the majority of the Labour party are antisemitic' and it was just left out there, no correction, nothing. And what's this I hear that somehow having 'Arbeit macht frei' over a picture of a jobcentre is now a sackable antisemitic offense? What the actual fuck?

I'm not a Labour member but I do know quite a few and the idea Labour is an antisemitic party is beyond laughable, as is the idea that there is some kind of mythical 'Jewish community' out there that is universally up in arms about this which is what Michael Levy would have us believe.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Fact. Free. World.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Daily Mail in "discovering what capitalism means"...

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'm a fact-free nerd
In a fact-free world
Life is mental
Monumental

etc
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So we've got one year left before being reduced to a shriveled insignificance by morons who object to having foreign shops on their highstreets that would otherwise be boarded up. The kind of dull witted semi-sentient knock off sportswear apparelled fuckwits who object to hearing foreign accents on the bus so much they are apparently happy to forgo millions of pounds of development grants for areas a Tory government would laugh at before funding from Westminister. Like the lad in Cardiff on CH4 news who asked 'what has the EU ever done for us?' Causing the interviewer to point to the prominently displayed EU flag behind him and say 'Well they built that college you just came out of'.

It's fucking infuriating.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:No Question Time tonight so I had to make do with Newsnight and oh look, there's Michael Levy allowed to sit there blathering on unopposed about Corbyn's antisemitism. The BBC are absolutely stoking this nonsense up, I heard a presenter on Radio 5 this afternoon say 'the majority of the Labour party are antisemitic' and it was just left out there, no correction, nothing. And what's this I hear that somehow having 'Arbeit macht frei' over a picture of a jobcentre is now a sackable antisemitic offense? What the actual fuck?

I'm not a Labour member but I do know quite a few and the idea Labour is an antisemitic party is beyond laughable, as is the idea that there is some kind of mythical 'Jewish community' out there that is universally up in arms about this which is what Michael Levy would have us believe.
I'm looking forward to the discussions amongst pundits about whether Labour will be bold enough to actually make antisemitic manifesto commitments.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I'm a fact-free nerd
In a fact-free world
Life is mental
Monumental

etc
Aqua were Danish so perhaps Brexit can protect us from such horrors in the future.

And only let in wholesome Europop like...

[youtube]RkEXGgdqMz8[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:I'm looking forward to the discussions amongst pundits about whether Labour will be bold enough to actually make antisemitic manifesto commitments.
The problem is, as you know, mud sticks and as an outside observer I think this nonsense, along with the 'soft on Russia' stuff has seriously damaged Corbyn.

Whether that's fair or not is beside the point, over the last month he and his advisors have been consistently outmaneuvered and if an election were to be held tomorrow I'd say he'd lose badly.

Thankfully a week is a long time in politics and the memory of the masses is a short one, but he needs to do something about Seumas Milne, what might seem popular amongst the far left of the Guardian is never going to win over most Labour voters and keeps providing horrifically destructive ammunition to the enemy.