Saturday 5th, Sunday 6th and Monday 7th May 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 5th, Sunday 6th and Monday 7th May 2018

Post by RogerOThornhill »

And another intervention...
Gary Streeter MP

Verified account

@garystreeterSWD
Follow Follow @garystreeterSWD
More Gary Streeter MP Retweeted Nicholas Soames
Completely agree. Those of us in the loyal mainstream believe a period of silence from @Jacob_Rees_Mogg would be welcomeGary Streeter MP added,
Nicholas Soames
Verified account

@NSoames
Many of us want this holding to ransom of The PM and the pragmatic centre of the Party and Public opinion by ERG and it’s supporters including @Jacob_Rees_Mogg to end ,and for the best Brexit for U.K. to be negotiated #itsgottostop
8:12 AM - 7 May 2018
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So perhaps something is stirring after all.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:So perhaps something is stirring after all.......
Please, please...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Although Streeter himself has an unassailable majority, he is from Plymouth.

He has just seen four close colleagues (and probably friends) lose their council seats and Labour take control of the council. Jonny Mercer's seat might be vulnerable at a future General.

[For the record I don't have any inside info on this - just looking at the recent election results]
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I don't think there were elections in Loughborough this time, but Morgan's seat is presumably also at risk in a town with a significant University and high tech industries.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... curity-law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How to treat people on benefits with respect – a lesson from Scotland
Ruth Patrick
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hmm,how about people,given everybody receives benefits at some stage."Othering",gripe.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... scepticism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Low turnout in Lebanon election amid voter scepticism
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I don't think there were elections in Loughborough this time, but Morgan's seat is presumably also at risk in a town with a significant University and high tech industries.
Her majority was significantly reduced last time.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I don't think there were elections in Loughborough this time, but Morgan's seat is presumably also at risk in a town with a significant University and high tech industries.
Her majority was significantly reduced last time.
Thanks. Do you think that makes her less vulnerable next time? Or will these slides continue?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

The argument centres ever more on the Customs Partnership it seems.

A Brexiteer meme on Twitter appeals to a mandate from the 2017 GE for leaving the Customs Union.

If that election is your "mandate", my word....
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/je ... 39766.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Jeremy Corbyn is finally shifting toward the centre ground, though he may have set off too late"
That Labour lost control of Nuneaton council in Thursday’s local elections was a gentle political earthquake. Hours later, the journalist turned Corbyn campaigner Paul Mason made a startling admission: “Progressives can win if they make an alliance,” he said. “To win swing seats in the Midlands and Southern England, Labour needs to get even more outside its comfort zone and fight for centrist votes.”
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 39671.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Labour MP launches bid for new EU referendum as Corbyn faces pressure over Brexit policy"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/je ... 39766.html
"Jeremy Corbyn is finally shifting toward the centre ground, though he may have set off too late"
That Labour lost control of Nuneaton council in Thursday’s local elections was a gentle political earthquake. Hours later, the journalist turned Corbyn campaigner Paul Mason made a startling admission: “Progressives can win if they make an alliance,” he said. “To win swing seats in the Midlands and Southern England, Labour needs to get even more outside its comfort zone and fight for centrist votes.”
But there is NO WAY a more pro-EU stance would have helped them hold onto Nuneaton.

The conundrum continues.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://sputniknews.com/amp/europe/2018 ... eu-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Concerns over Jeremy Corbyn one day ahead of the British cabinet meeting have reportedly prompted the EU to stick to a firm stance in Brexit negotiations."
"The idea that Conservatives would legislate a race to the bottom is a myth and no one really believes it, even if some Tories have helped create it. The real fear is state subsidies under a Jeremy Corbyn government," a senior Brussels source involved in Brexit negotiations said. "British policy has remained unchanged for generations but now there is a real chance of a left-wing government reversing it. We have to protect ourselves and the single market."
Apologies for Sputnik link, but other links were Times, Mail & Express.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinybgoat wrote:https://sputniknews.com/amp/europe/2018 ... eu-brexit/
"Concerns over Jeremy Corbyn one day ahead of the British cabinet meeting have reportedly prompted the EU to stick to a firm stance in Brexit negotiations."
"The idea that Conservatives would legislate a race to the bottom is a myth and no one really believes it, even if some Tories have helped create it. The real fear is state subsidies under a Jeremy Corbyn government," a senior Brussels source involved in Brexit negotiations said. "British policy has remained unchanged for generations but now there is a real chance of a left-wing government reversing it. We have to protect ourselves and the single market."
:-o
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Is it just me , or would some of the 'news' stories
(at least the ones I've linked too) make more sense, if Labour had won more seats in the council elections?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://mike-stuchbery.org/index.php/201 ... -for-fear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinybgoat wrote:Is it just me , or would some of the 'news' stories
(at least the ones I've linked too) make more sense, if Labour had won more seats in the council elections?
Perhaps.

The one I expressed surprise at struck me as the basis of a possible climb down for the Tories, but seems truly far fetched.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinybgoat wrote:Is it just me , or would some of the 'news' stories
I think Tories are terrified
The headlines and news the last few days are overwrought, if not deceptive
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:https://sputniknews.com/amp/europe/2018 ... eu-brexit/
:-o
Same reaction here
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:The argument centres ever more on the Customs Partnership it seems.

A Brexiteer meme on Twitter appeals to a mandate from the 2017 GE for leaving the Customs Union.

If that election is your "mandate", my word....
Is this customs' partnership one of the things that the rest of the EU have already rejected as unacceptable to them and completely unworkable in any event?

May has had a lot of opportunities to resile from the ultra line. I know there is an answer to this and the answer is 'they are completely shameless' but I don't know how she could survive if she backed down on 'definitely out of the customs' union' now when she has been unequivocally committed to the policy.

Leave backers and supporters are scared at the moment and their rhetoric is becoming more extreme. In the local press btl discussions I've been described as a Japanese soldier refusing to accept that I'd lost WWII. The threats of, at least, civil disobedience are coming out of the background too.
I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I hate the tories for a personal reason.
I should have reached state pension age yesterday.
I have to wait until November 2019.

As you were.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

bastards
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Gilsey.

Happy birthday for (now) day before yesterday.