Monday 21st May 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Monday 21st May 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Monday 21st May 2018

A lot of new rail timetables starting today.

I'm lucky that my commute appears to have improved (more trains), but I don't think everyone has been so fortunate!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Northern Rail trains cancelled because of shortage of drivers on first big day of timetable changes

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-14683914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Northern Rail trains cancelled because of shortage of drivers on first big day of timetable changes

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-14683914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rail, Maritime and Transport union general secretary Mick Cash said: "The union is picking up reports from both Northern and GTR of a hopeless lack of planning, combined with a shortage of crew and fleet, which has reduced the Monday morning journey to a nightmare for many passengers.

"Frankly I wouldn't trust the private train operators to run a bath, let alone our vital rail routes. After Virgin/Stagecoach were kicked off the East Coast last week, it's time for the rest of these racketeers to be sent packing as well and for our railways to be run by the public sector as a public service."
Hear, hear
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Monday 21st May 2018 marks the first day of the new Govia Thameslink (GTR) timetable.

Buying a ticket means you have entered into a contract with the GTR. That contract is the same contract for all those who purchase a ticket. Your chosen train will deliver you to your chosen destination at the time agreed upon. The GTR however deems that it has the right to refuse access, remove passengers or alter their mode of transport provided these passengers are of reduced mobility.

PRMs according to the GTR, Disabled people according to the rest of humanity.
Not because the individual is obnoxious.
Not because the individual is dangerous.
But because the GTR holds Speed, Efficiency and Shareholder’s Profits supreme.

https://dpac.uk.net/2018/05/disabled-pe ... timetable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Businesses, profits and economies serve life. All people and other life are important.
A few have lost their way and have forgotten important things.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Northern Rail trains cancelled because of shortage of drivers on first big day of timetable changes

Not. Surprising. In. The. Least :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
Monday 21st May 2018 marks the first day of the new Govia Thameslink (GTR) timetable.

Buying a ticket means you have entered into a contract with the GTR. That contract is the same contract for all those who purchase a ticket. Your chosen train will deliver you to your chosen destination at the time agreed upon. The GTR however deems that it has the right to refuse access, remove passengers or alter their mode of transport provided these passengers are of reduced mobility.

PRMs according to the GTR, Disabled people according to the rest of humanity.
Not because the individual is obnoxious.
Not because the individual is dangerous.
But because the GTR holds Speed, Efficiency and Shareholder’s Profits supreme.

https://dpac.uk.net/2018/05/disabled-pe ... timetable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Businesses, profits and economies serve life. All people and other life are important.
Surely that infringes some legislation ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:---
Surely that infringes some legislation ?
(cJA edit)

Eight years Tory government
who knows
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

train timetable changes
Axing or adding train departures, arrivals and routes impact people depending upon the service
Any influential people blaming staff for problems influential people caused not thinking through changes is in serious trouble
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

May claims new technology could cut household energy bills by £500 a year by 2030

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... f83476ffb1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Government are laughing at most of the people they're supposed to be fairly representing
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Government draws up plans to park lorries on M20 in event of post-Brexit customs delays at Dover

The Department for Transport has put out an interesting, Brexit-related ministerial statement today. It says that the government has drawn up plans to park lorries on one lane of the M20 in the event of there being “serious disruption to cross-Channel transport”.

The ministerial statement, which has been issued in the name of the transport minister Jesse Norman, does not specify what this “serious disruption” might be, and of course there have been serious hold-ups at Dover before, triggered by strike action on the French side, which led to the development of Operation Stack, an emergency procedure for parking lorries on the M20. But it does say the new system will be available “from early 2019” - which, conveniently, is when the UK will leave the EU and when a no deal Brexit (which the government wants to avoid, but cannot absolutely rule out) would cause customs chaos at the Channel ports. (Politics Live, Guardian)

Edited to add -

Of course, strike action tends to be finite . . .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Strike action should last as long as the Tory party
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky’s Faisal Islam has more on the contingency plans to park lorries on the M20.

Faisal Islam

@faisalislam
Replying to @faisalislam

“This would be needed regardless of Brexit” says one Government source - pointing out that the hard shoulders need to be hardened, and “several tens of thousands” of cones need to be bought too...
2:40 PM - May 21, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian)
Oh, silly me. I'd forgotten all about the national cone shortage.
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/05 ... s-about-br" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
Sky’s Faisal Islam has more on the contingency plans to park lorries on the M20.

Faisal Islam

@faisalislam
Replying to @faisalislam

“This would be needed regardless of Brexit” says one Government source - pointing out that the hard shoulders need to be hardened, and “several tens of thousands” of cones need to be bought too...
I blame Major's hotline, personally.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Faisal Islam

@faisalislam
Replying to @faisalislam

I blame Major's hotline, personally.
I think it was a manifesto pledge to purchase tens of thousands of cones. I remember the public clamour for more of them, now. Or was that homes? Cones, homes - so similar sounding.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Or is it a brilliant Andrea Leadsom scheme for selling innovative icecream to stranded lorry drivers?

She's not stupid, you know.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Windrush migrants still sleeping rough one month after minister's promise

People sleeping on benches or relatives’ sofas while waiting for Home Office meetings, the Guardian has found

Vulnerable members of the Windrush generation are still living in destitution on the streets, despite government promises to sort out the crisis that led to thousands of people being wrongly targeted by a government crackdown on illegal immigrants.

The Guardian has heard of at least a dozen Windrush citizens who have been sleeping rough or staying in temporary accommodation while they wait for a decision on their legal right to remain in the UK. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rs-promise
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...Jacob Rees-Mogg's nonsense...
---
A normal viewer who is not particularly invested in this debate would come out of it thinking that everything is fine, the consequences of our current course of action are minimal and all those experts in the House of Lords don't know what they're on about. In fact, it is a man flapping a non-existent piece of paper in the air as he demands we drive the economy off a cliff.

This is how they mislead the public. They smother them in nonsense - the type of nonsense so technical, jargon-filled and tedious that no-one in their right mind looks into it - and then tell them, with a soft smile and a posh accent, that everything will be OK.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/en ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ken Livingstone Resigns From Labour Party, Claiming Anti Semitism Row Had Become 'A Distraction'
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sad, but probably inevitable.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/en ... ssion=true
Ken Livingstone Resigns From Labour Party, Claiming Anti Semitism Row Had Become 'A Distraction'
"" In a statement to BBC London, Livingstone said he was quitting after his lawyers advised him if he lost his case and was expelled, it would take at least two years before any legal challenge was resolved.

He said he “abhorred” anti-Semitism and was “truly sorry” that his historical arguments had “caused offence and upset in the Jewish community”.

“I am loyal to the Labour Party and to Jeremy Corbyn. However any further disciplinary action against me may drag on for months or even years, distracting attention from Jeremy’s policies.""

Long overdue , and he had to have his hand swayed by his lawyers FFS !

Which does not mean that he is or was antisemitic, but it just gave the Israel Firsters and/or Blairites yet one more stick to beat Corbyn with . This recent Jonathan Cook is on something related but covers the basic problem well. As Usual for him !

" In Israel, a few analysts admitted at the time that this new kind of anti-semitism was intended to intimidate critics who were reacting to Israel’s slaughter of Palestinians in the early years of the second intifada.

And proponents of the “New Anti-Semitism” argument, of course, wilfully ignored other, more convincing explanations of the mounting criticism of Israel on the European left – not least the growing exposure of western publics to Israel’s abuses of Palestinians in an age of 24-hour rolling news and social media.

The New Anti-Semitism playbook was quickly updated after Corbyn became Labour leader. He is seen as an enormous threat to Israel: the first head of a major modern European party to prioritise the suffering of Palestinians over Israel’s right to colonise the Palestinians’ homeland. I have written about this in too much detail to do so again, so if you need to get up to speed, it’s all set out here. "

https://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2018 ... ayed-gaza/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I could have, should have perhaps, linked straightaway to this --

https://www.jonathan-cook.net/2018-05-0 ... my-corbyn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A longish read , haven't yet read it myself, but it will be good .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Here is the relevant detail on KL --

"""" Livingstone is an outspoken, independent-minded politician by nature, and so can hardly be said to represent the general state of Labour. But even so, the attacks on him highlight the ideological muddle, and possibly bad faith, of those advancing claims of an “anti-semitism problem” in Labour.

During a radio interview on anti-semitism in May 2016, Livingstone ventured on to incendiary historical ground: “When Hitler won his election in 1932, his policy then was that Jews should be moved to Israel. He was supporting Zionism before he went mad and ended up killing six million Jews.”

There were lots of problems with Livingstone’s foolhardy statement. The date should have been 1933; there was no Israel then, it was Palestine; and the phrase “went mad” implied that Hitler’s earlier expulsion policy might be seen as sane.

But the mix of inaccuracy and clumsiness of Livingstone’s off-the-cuff remarks are not what got him into trouble: it was the claim that Hitler “was supporting Zionism”. Almost immediately the media reformulated Livingstone’s statement as “Hitler was a Zionist”, even though it seemed patently obvious that was not a fair summary of what he said or meant.

In English, the formulation “Hitler was supporting Zionism” is ambiguous and could mean either that Hitler liked or sympathised with Zionism as an ideology, or that he assisted or facilitated Zionism’s aims, possibly unintentionally.

The distinction is important because there are plenty of respectable historians of that period who would agree with the second meaning, and almost none who would concur with the first. Certainly, the second meaning is no proof of anti-semitism. ""
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The point for many of us is, by repeatedly bringing it up in the way he did he wasn't helping either Corbyn or the wider party.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The point for many of us is, by repeatedly bringing it up in the way he did he wasn't helping either Corbyn or the wider party.
I thought that once he had been misquoted out of context by the media ( and the Israeli lobby of course), THEY were the ones continually bringing it up ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm missing HindleA's input here.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:I'm missing HindleA's input here.
Indeed!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Andy Burnham via Twitter
I have asked for an urgent meeting with the Transport Secretary this week to discuss the Northern Rail chaos. Things can’t go on like this.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all....wow where that day go?

Library > School > Swimming > Cook dinner > School...and breathe.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Incidentally, library work at the moment is looking through early 20th century local papers for notices about a certain sports company AGM.

No luck sadly but there was an article in an issue from 1900 about "the jew" and his habits etc...Oh. My.God. :shock:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I argue that the poison in our national life is identity politics. ‘This is who I am: you accept me on all my terms, or else you commit violence against me.’ Identity politics is insidious, irrational, and leads to decisions that threaten our liberty. @TimFarron @LibDems
Discuss.