Thursday 24th May 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
adam
First Secretary of State

Thursday 24th May 2018

Post by adam »

late last night
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:(more on 'respect the result')
https://brexitcentral.com/tory-hq-launc ... ing-seats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Tory HQ launches online campaign to pile pressure on anti-Brexit Labour MPs in Leave-backing seats"
In advance of the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill returning to the Commons next month, the Conservatives have launched a website – Respect the Result – specifically targeting Labour MPs with a record of seeking to oppose Brexit while representing areas which voted to Leave.
Splendidly of course, Bath & NE Somerset, part of which Rees-Mogg represents, voted 58% for Remain :twisted:
As did Maidenhead, 55/45.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Re: Thursday 24th May 2018

Post by adam »

Other members of the Cabinet they are calling on to respect the result and vote remain include Philip Hammond, David Gauke, Jeremy Hunt (60/40), Damien Hinds, Disgraced Former Cabinet Minister Doctor Liam Fox (thank you jesus), Greg Clark, Chris Grayling, David Mundell and Esther McVey. That's 10 of the 21 in the commons. Look forward to hearing the demands that they respect the will of the constituency.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-m ... 023-2018-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Theresa May to ask the EU for an extra two years of Brexit transition"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Morning.

Rees-Mogg has claimed that only Bath supported remain and that his North East Somerset constituents favoured leave. Neighbouring Mendip, however, voted very narrowly for remain and shares a lot of characteristics with NE Somerset (including a strong Libdem presence) so I think it likely NE Somerset would have been similarly very tight if we had a break down, which of course we don't, so we'll never know.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:Other members of the Cabinet they are calling on to respect the result and vote remain include Philip Hammond, David Gauke, Jeremy Hunt (60/40), Damien Hinds, Disgraced Former Cabinet Minister Doctor Liam Fox (thank you jesus), Greg Clark, Chris Grayling, David Mundell and Esther McVey. That's 10 of the 21 in the commons. Look forward to hearing the demands that they respect the will of the constituency.
I'm not sure why Liam Fox would be on that list. North Somerset voted leave 52/48, although again, like all these councils areas, it's not a perfect match for his Parliamentary Constituency, which is why the whole "vote like your constituency" thing is bollocks, even if you think it either democratic (or self-serving) to do so. We only know how councils split, not constituencies. Ultimately MPs should probably vote like the country voted - "half in / half out".
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:Morning.

Rees-Mogg has claimed that only Bath supported remain and that his North East Somerset constituents favoured leave. Neighbouring Mendip, however, voted very narrowly for remain and shares a lot of characteristics with NE Somerset (including a strong Libdem presence) so I think it likely NE Somerset would have been similarly very tight if we had a break down, which of course we don't, so we'll never know.
'Only' Bath. :roll:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:
adam wrote:Other members of the Cabinet they are calling on to respect the result and vote remain include Philip Hammond, David Gauke, Jeremy Hunt (60/40), Damien Hinds, Disgraced Former Cabinet Minister Doctor Liam Fox (thank you jesus), Greg Clark, Chris Grayling, David Mundell and Esther McVey. That's 10 of the 21 in the commons. Look forward to hearing the demands that they respect the will of the constituency.
I'm not sure why Liam Fox would be on that list. North Somerset voted leave 52/48, although again, like all these councils areas, it's not a perfect match for his Parliamentary Constituency, which is why the whole "vote like your constituency" thing is bollocks, even if you think it either democratic (or self-serving) to do so. We only know how councils split, not constituencies. Ultimately MPs should probably vote like the country voted - "half in / half out".
Got it from this - no idea where they got their figures from but they come up with 52.42 remain / 47.58 leave
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Got it from this - no idea where they got their figures from but they come up with 52.42 remain / 47.58 leave
Ah, OK. They are guessing what a constituency might have voted from the council area plus some "making it up".

North East Somerset council, which voted leave, includes Weston-Super-Mare but Liam Fox's North Somerset constituency doesn't so they must be guessing W-S-M was more heavily leave and have taken that out leaving Fox with more remain voters in his bit which is closer to cosmopolitan and remain voting Bristol.

Hard to say how good a guess it is, but definitely a clever rebuff to those saying MPs in supposed leave voting constituencies shouldn't vote against the government. For all we know, Liam Fox's constituents could favour remaining in the EU by a small majority!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Rees-Mogg is probably broadly correct (for once) about how BANES voted in the referendum.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Rees-Mogg is probably broadly correct (for once) about how BANES voted in the referendum.
Although it's true Bath would have contributed to the relatively high percentage for remain in Bath & NE Somerset the website adam linked to has Rees-Mogg's NE Somerset constituency without Bath on a mere 51.63% for leave, which sounds about right to me and is probably a bit tighter than Rees-Mogg would like to admit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

OK then, what has BoJo done now?

(just seen some disparaging comments about him on Twitter)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:OK then, what has BoJo done now?

Been prank called by a couple of Russians pretending to be the Armenian PM. He knew straight away the 18 min phone call wasn't kosher, apparently.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Link to Guardian story:

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Russian pranksters discuss Putin and Skripal in call with Boris Johnson
One of the duo pretended to be the Armenian PM in 18-minute
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:OK then, what has BoJo done now?

Been prank called by a couple of Russians pretending to be the Armenian PM. He knew straight away the 18 min phone call wasn't kosher, apparently.
Sure, sure :)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I'm now getting news satire before getting the news the news satire is satirising!
Donaeld The Unready

@donaeldunready
Following Following @donaeldunready
More
SNEAKY and NO-GOOD King John of North Kent will NOT get to meet me next month at Sheppey. It would be totally inappropriate for such a meeting with a corrupt, ugly and BAD king to take place, Kents tell me. Enough said, Kents! I'm out.

2:55 PM - 24 May 2018
For those who like their news the old fashioned way:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44242558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trump pulls out of North Korea summit
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all.

Like a fool I went and installed Windows 10 updates without first checking t'internet to see whether any problems had arisen. Big mistake...2 days later and several pounds lighter in the wallet, I have working PC again.

Meanwhile John Mann (I) misreads what Owen Jones actually wrote (ii) doesn't know his history, and for good measure (iii) gets the wrong Owen Jones...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ah well....
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@RogerOThornhill

There wasn't much publicity for the latest Windows update, I thought, it just suddenly appeared.It didn't even seem to change much but needed a lot of space temporarily for some reason. Fortunately my son found a game which was taking up a ridiculous amount of room that no one had played in years or we would have struggled to find the spare 10gb it was asking for. Still, sounds as though it has actually broken some systems entirely, so we were lucky really. Sorry to hear you were one of its victims.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Where is A Hindle atm? I note they contributed to the music thread this morning........
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Where is A Hindle atm? I note they contributed to the music thread this morning........

He's flown the coop (on the Politics thread, at least). Which is a great shame. Glad to hear that he's popped up on the music thread.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Northern rail blocking Twitter complainers 'adds insult to injury'

Companies ‘should bend over backwards to help passengers’ amid rail chaos, says Which?

A consumer watchdog has accused rail companies of “adding insult to injury” by blocking people on social media when they complain.

Which? said Northern rail – which cancelled hundreds of trains this week during the bungled launch of its new timetable – had been blocking passengers after they complained about the service on Twitter.(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rail-chaos
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

[youtube]s6tzeDK-RX4[/youtube]
edit: misleading video title.
Around the Dial (One of our D.Js is missing....)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:I'm now getting news satire before getting the news the news satire is satirising!
Donaeld The Unready

@donaeldunready
Following Following @donaeldunready
More
SNEAKY and NO-GOOD King John of North Kent will NOT get to meet me next month at Sheppey. It would be totally inappropriate for such a meeting with a corrupt, ugly and BAD king to take place, Kents tell me. Enough said, Kents! I'm out.

2:55 PM - 24 May 2018
For those who like their news the old fashioned way:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44242558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trump pulls out of North Korea summit
But he should still get the Nobel Peace Prize for trying :-)

The Art of the Deal isn't working too well, with Bolton and Pence and the other creep threatening NK with War if they don't roll over immediately (if not sooner ).

Sadly .
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Pro-Brexit Tory MPs concede staying in EU customs union into next decade is 'only viable option'
Verdict backed by Jacob Rees-Mogg and other leading Brexiteers – because of cabinet’s failure to agree what kind of trading and customs arrangements it wants
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 67001.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(Hello!)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am working on new brain which requires lots of not thinking much
Had got a bit to end of tether
Things improving now
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Pro-Brexit Tory MPs concede staying in EU customs union into next decade is 'only viable option'
Verdict backed by Jacob Rees-Mogg and other leading Brexiteers – because of cabinet’s failure to agree what kind of trading and customs arrangements it wants
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 67001.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hang on, what's wrong with the brexiteer cliff-edge now ?

GO FOR IT !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

New TSB gaffe: bank claims some former customers have died

Customers who left bank after IT meltdown say direct debits were cancelled after TSB told companies they were dead

TSB has apologised for another glitch after some former customers found their direct debits had been cancelled because firms were apparently told they had died.

The consumer help website MoneySavingExpert.com said it had heard from several former TSB customers who had left the bank after its IT meltdown, which left up to 1.9 million online customers unable to access their accounts.

They had reported receiving letters from various organisations offering their condolences, the website said. The letters also said their direct debits had been cancelled. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -have-died

Edited - tidy up
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Michael Moran
‏Verified account @TheMichaelMoran

Award-winning correction from @DailyMirror
4:38 PM - 24 May 2018
Dd-P7sNVwAAX_Bz.jpg
Dd-P7sNVwAAX_Bz.jpg (42.75 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... unexamined" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Hundreds of deaths of homeless people 'going unexamined'

Reviews to find if deaths in England and Wales could be prevented ‘are not being used’"