Tuesday 29th May 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 29th May 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 29th May 2018

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morning all.

That piece by Polly Toynbee reference at the end of the BH thread is well worth a read. A great shame that comments have not been enabled.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Well, if nobody else is going to say 'morning' back, I will.

Morning.
The truth ferret speaks!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning.

Man's in the kitchen doing stuff, wife's at keep fit, and the cat's in hiding.

Outside it's raining...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning
Posted at 12:09 hours ;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I haven't had my lunch yet - that counts as morning to me.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I usually wait my lunch till 14h eurotime to see what propaganda WatO is up to .

The Polly was good .

Toady a bit better this morning .

Good-ish one with Yanis Varoufakis and Emma Bonino on Italy and the Euro, tho FAR more time should have been allotted. The president choosing the austerity ex-IMF man as PM instead of the Eurocurrency-sceptic Paolo Savona looks BAD .

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 73376.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also a quite long one on the extreme difficulties of living in a rural area and just surviving on a 44h work week @ £7.88ph until ‘something goes wrong’. A car-repair of £300 ruins a family’s life, as then it’s rent-arrears , not having the £ to drive a ma with a difficult pregnancy the few miles to the hospital and then the £3 parking fee when you get there…

Sad comparison to here, where you can fairly easily ( I think) have either have an ambulance/taxi or an allowance for a neighbour to take you instead. That was my case when a non-driving outpatient .

After rain in the night 20° again !
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The state of this.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tory MP in "I'm going to ignore what education professionals have said in the article about the problems with progress 8 and simply jeer at the Labour shadow*

*who incidentally was a teacher
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/mi ... 6.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The nation needs saving from political degeneracy, but Michael Gove is certainly not the man to do it"
Good piece of writing by Tom Peck (imo & I'm fairly sure it's not a sketch, except for the penultimate paragraph where he suggests Gove should be health minister)
The country deserves better than men with undergraduate degrees who have conferred the status of intellectual upon themselves for no greater reason than that they spent their late teenage years in black tie, making clever counterintuitive arguments and then did the same in some newspaper column
Soon, it will start to demand better too.
edited: to add a quote.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Tue 29 May, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:The state of this.

Tory MP in "I'm going to ignore what education professionals have said in the article about the problems with progress 8 and simply jeer at the Labour shadow*

*who incidentally was a teacher
"Professor Becky Allen, Director of the Centre for Education Improvement Science at UCL, said: "The problem with school performance tables is that they assume that the schooling system is solely responsible for everything that children learn during their childhood.

"So, if white working-class students learn less than other students, the blame for this lesser progress is entirely placed on the schools. Of course, this notion is nonsense - learning is co-produced by the actions of schools, parents, communities and the students themselves.

"The dilemma for government is what we do about this. Should we just accept that schools serving white working-class communities will have less good exam results? And how can we be sure that these schools are working as hard as they can to provide a high-quality education?""

Obviously we need more immigrants in deprived areas to bring up the educational level :-)

Joking apart , many thanks to Mr Blair for naming and shaming failing schools, all those dumb reforms imported often from the US, and the excessive reliance on quantitative testing .

One daughter taught for ten years in an 'Educational Priority Zone' (ZEP) where class sizes were limited by law , at least it made life a bit easier for the teachers ! One other possibility is to pay them more in those areas .
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 6.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Give Boris Johnson greater control over Brexit, says chair of Foreign Affairs Committee"
(Tom Tugendhat, who reminds me of Tom Bombadil for no sensible reason)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I missed this from Yanis Varoufakis yesterday ! Well worth a read .

With his choice of prime minister, Italy’s president has gifted the far right

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-populist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"" What is so striking is that there is no thinking economist anywhere in the world who does not share concern about the eurozone’s faulty architecture. No prudent finance minister would neglect to develop a plan for euro exit. Indeed, I have it on good authority that the German finance ministry, the European Central Bank and every major bank and corporation have plans in place for the possible exit from the eurozone of Italy, even of Germany. Is Mattarella telling us that the Italian finance minister is banned from thinking of such a plan?""

Someone from the 5Star party was on WatO today, accusing the MSM incl the BBC of fake news on their Euro policies . Prority is to reform the Euro, with break-up as only a PlanB .

Comparisons with 2008 , then that crazy brexit, abound !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Paul Mason and Aaron Bastani have been saying similar.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Missed this one:
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/de ... ar-weapons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Gavin Williamson suggests uk may have to use nuclear weapons due to defence cuts"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Interesting Twitter thread on a follow up study on the impact of Hurricane Maria on Puerto Rico:

Angus Johnston
@studentactivism
Study finds more deaths from Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico than from September 11 or Hurricane Katrina. Nearly as many as the two put together.
There's a story in the Washington Post, but I couldn't access it behind a paywall.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Article on above from the G:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thousands more died in Puerto Rico from Maria than official toll, study finds
Estimate of 4,600 deaths in sharp conflict with official toll of 64
Researchers say new number is probably an underestimate, too
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinybgoat wrote:Missed this one:
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/de ... ar-weapons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Gavin Williamson suggests uk may have to use nuclear weapons due to defence cuts"
Him and Richard Madeley today :D
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:Missed this one:
Him and Richard Madeley today :D
Haven't had the pleasure of watching it yet,
Think it deserves a larger screen than a mobile.
edit: have seen it now, nice elephant!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... ay-experts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
British 'linguaphobia' has deepened since Brexit vote, say experts
New research shows teachers reporting that the vote to leave the EU has hardened monolingual attitudes
As me mother would say: we're our own worst enemy
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

latest Tory Britain money-spinner:
Government hikes fees to renounce British citizenship after Brexit foreign nationality surge
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 69706.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... ay-experts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
British 'linguaphobia' has deepened since Brexit vote, say experts
New research shows teachers reporting that the vote to leave the EU has hardened monolingual attitudes
As me mother would say: we're our own worst enemy
You can say that again !
""With 94% of language students in Europe learning English and 51% studying two or more foreign languages, the UK has long lagged behind the European Union linguistically. After 2004, when languages became optional for UK students once they turned 14, GCSE take-up halved, going from nearly 80% to around half that in 2017. Applications to study modern foreign languages at university have also dropped 57% in the last decade.""

I seem to remember that that is one more thing to thank Tonee Blair for ?

Two foreign languages is the norm in our local lycées . GD1 did english and german, GD2 is doing english and mandarin ...
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Owen Smith's busy making a muppet of himself on Twitter:

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:latest Tory Britain money-spinner:
Government hikes fees to renounce British citizenship after Brexit foreign nationality surge
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 69706.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"" A Home Office spokesperson said: “In April 2018, the fee to renounce British citizenship was reassessed to accurately reflect the cost of processing such applications and ensure value for money for the taxpayer.” ""

The pissant accountants have taken over the Home Office . Along with the remainder of UK PLC.

PS At that rate they’ll soon be issuing masks and a tax on breathing …
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

frog222 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:latest Tory Britain money-spinner:
"" A Home Office spokesperson said: “In April 2018, the fee to renounce British citizenship was reassessed to accurately reflect the cost of processing such applications and ensure value for money for the taxpayer.” ""

The pissant accountants have taken over the Home Office . Along with the remainder of UK PLC.

PS At that rate they’ll soon be issuing masks and a tax on breathing …
Has only just occurred to me, the ridiculousness of the country losing all the potential contributions of an individual, and the home office being concerned about recouping the administration cost.