Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th June 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th June 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Re: Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th June 2018

Post by tinybgoat »

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment ... -pollution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Sadiq Khan plans to extend London's ultra-low emission zone"
Unveiling the plans at a London primary school on Friday, the London mayor announced a four-year study looking at the impact of toxic air on the health of 3,000 primary schoolchildren.

The project, led by scientists at Queen Mary University of London, will compare the health of children in the capital with those in polluted areas of Luton where there is no low-emission zone planned
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The brainz of Love Island on Brexit , HT MsChin --

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Marcus Chown
@marcuschown

I am getting an ever-so-slight, incy-wincy feeling Boris Johnson might not be completely trustworthy. Anyone else getting it?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Not news, (but new to me)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... pie-squat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The forgotten story of the 'Dilly Dossers' and London's most luxurious hippy squat"
[quote]The raid so impressed the Mayfair property developer Ronnie Lyon (“Business is just like driving a car - of which I have four, by the way,” he once observed. “I moved up in stages, like changing gears.”) that he walked into the West End Central police station and wrote a cheque for £1,000 for the Police Benevolent Fund. Lyon said: “I feel that these hippies had no legal or moral right to be in that building. One is very ready to criticise the police when parking and speeding, but when there is a real problem you run to the British bobby and he is pretty good at his job.”
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Birthday Honours 2018: Network Rail boss [Mark Carne] made CBE amid travel chaos (BBC News website)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44415339
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:
Birthday Honours 2018: Network Rail boss [Mark Carne] made CBE amid travel chaos (BBC News website)
That will have been decided before the present chaos blew up, but still :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
That will have been decided before the present chaos blew up, but still :D
Yes, I know - but it could, and should, have been rescinded.

Edited to add - Also, I don't hold with people being honoured for simply doing a job for which they are already handsomely remunerated.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Yes, I know - but it could, and should, have been rescinded.

Edited to add - Also, I don't hold with people being honoured for simply doing a job for which they are already handsomely remunerated.
I agree. This "problem" has arisen because of the shortcomings of the honours system in general, rather than an error in this particular case imo. Network Rail is only one part of our railway system and as far as I'm aware isn't responsible for the larger factors that led to the timetable failure. They wouldn't have made the decision to cancel various electrification works, for instance. So although the Network Rail boss hasn't done anything special to deserve an honour, I'm not sure he deserves one any less than all the other well paid people who are honoured for doing an adequate but unremarkable job.
This is a distraction from Grayling's overall responsibility as far as the rail fiasco story is concerned, though of itself is a good example of why the honours system generally is a pile of poo and should be scrapped.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ounselling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Suffering from Brexit anxiety? You could get free counselling"
The organisers say the initiative is aimed at preventing people “being sucked into a vortex of gloom and doom” over the prospect of the UK leaving the EU.
....A team of five registered therapists and psychologists from north London’s Existential Academy have agreed to offer people up to 10 free sessions of therapy.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Boris on honours :)
Attachments
Screenshot_20180609-130058.png
Screenshot_20180609-130058.png (64.03 KiB) Viewed 11034 times
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinybgoat wrote:https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ounselling
The organisers say the initiative is aimed at preventing people “being sucked into a vortex of gloom and doom” over the prospect of the UK leaving the EU.
....A team of five registered therapists and psychologists from north London’s Existential Academy have agreed to offer people up to 10 free sessions of therapy.
In reality it's not our country or individuals that have changed so much as our government. Our Polish neighbours faced plenty of anti-foreigner sentiment before the referendum. Anti-immigrant and anti-EU attitudes have always been there, alongside the more open and welcoming attitudes that made them decide to stay. The issues with Brexit are less emotional and more practical because they don't know how they will stand legally going forwards. As do none of us, in terms of travel and work in Europe. I think a little bit of the anger and frustration of remain voters is less about the decision to leave and more about the reckless, clueless way the government is going about it. We see failures at the home office and listen to nonsense about invisible borders and we have very rational doubts about the government's ability to do this. We don't need counselling, we need leaders who have half a clue what they're doing. Ultimately the difference between remain and leave voters is that remain voters have at least a little bit of an idea of what an enormous undertaking Brexit is and it's not doing it that's horrifying but doing it with people in charge who genuinely appear to be incapable of organising a piss up in a brewery.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ord-adonis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris Grayling to blame for rail chaos, says Lord Adonis
Former Labour transport minister says his successor should have blocked train timetable changes – ‘I did when I was in charge’
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Willow904 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ounselling
In reality it's not our country or individuals that have changed so much as our government. Our Polish neighbours faced plenty of anti-foreigner sentiment before the referendum. Anti-immigrant and anti-EU attitudes have always been there, alongside the more open and welcoming attitudes that made them decide to stay. The issues with Brexit are less emotional and more practical because they don't know how they will stand legally going forwards. As do none of us, in terms of travel and work in Europe. I think a little bit of the anger and frustration of remain voters is less about the decision to leave and more about the reckless, clueless way the government is going about it. We see failures at the home office and listen to nonsense about invisible borders and we have very rational doubts about the government's ability to do this. We don't need counselling, we need leaders who have half a clue what they're doing. Ultimately the difference between remain and leave voters is that remain voters have at least a little bit of an idea of what an enormous undertaking Brexit is and it's not doing it that's horrifying but doing it with people in charge who genuinely appear to be incapable of organising a piss up in a brewery.
Presumably it's a personal decision on when someone needs counselling & there's varying levels of gloom and doom, ranging from acceptable levels of ftn posters too extreme cases where people are too depressed to function normally, with Nick Cohen sitting somewhere between.
The lead counselor is a remainer (doesn't say if they all are), so hopefully would be at least sympathetic to Brexit being a bloody stupid idea, handled badly & Remainers concerns being mostly rational & well founded.
I think the biggest worry to me is finding out how irrational & ill informed a lot of leave voters & brexiteers are, not that I don't understand some of their motives & reasons, but hearing the more rabid & vacuous talk on phone-ins from both leading brexiteers & supporters tends to leave me despairing for democracy.
Also with a tendency to write off Brexiteers views on anything, ie.if their decisions re: leaving eu. are so bad, then why trust their decision-making on anything.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Adonis is on a bit of a roll lately, even if you might not always agree.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... top-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scottish judge rejects attempt to get ruling on UK stopping Brexit
Lord Boyd dismisses question of whether article 50 can be revoked as ‘academic’
This is quite a frustrating ruling. MPs have to make a decision whether to accept or reject a withdrawal bill and a withdrawal agreement, without knowing whether it will be possible to revoke article 50 of they do. The judge is saying until Parliament decides it wants to revoke article 50 there can be no ruling on whether it can be, but at that point surely it will be too late. We only have 10 months left.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Adonis is on a bit of a roll lately, even if you might not always agree.
I think it's the freedom to say what he really thinks without having to curry favour with either donors or voters. Ken Clarke similarly. Even when you don't agree with their opinion you do respond positively to the sense that they are opinions honestly expressed for no other reason than its what they think.

Contrast with Tony Blair, who even now seems to only express opinions in terms that always appear to be for ulterior motive. Whether to protect his legacy or promote future ambition of simply in return for a large cheque.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

(probably best read, for context) :shock:
Attachments
Screenshot_20180609-145926.png
Screenshot_20180609-145926.png (82.92 KiB) Viewed 10982 times
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinybgoat wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Presumably it's a personal decision on when someone needs counselling & there's varying levels of gloom and doom, ranging from acceptable levels of ftn posters too extreme cases where people are too depressed to function normally, with Nick Cohen sitting somewhere between.
The lead counselor is a remainer (doesn't say if they all are), so hopefully would be at least sympathetic to Brexit being a bloody stupid idea, handled badly & Remainers concerns being mostly rational & well founded.
I think the biggest worry to me is finding out how irrational & ill informed a lot of leave voters & brexiteers are, not that I don't understand some of their motives & reasons, but hearing the more rabid & vacuous talk on phone-ins from both leading brexiteers & supporters tends to leave me despairing for democracy.
Also with a tendency to write off Brexiteers views on anything, ie.if their decisions re: leaving eu. are so bad, then why trust their decision-making on anything.
You're right of course. I maybe wasn't taking the article very seriously. It may well be a serious problem for some people.
As to motivations of voters, they are frequently baffling. If I was to despair at that I'd despair at democracy in its entirety.
No it's a media that is weakly accepting abject nonsense from leave advocates without question (with a few occasional exceptions) that worries me. And the strange "will of the people" subjugation of parliament (more MPs voted against last time despite a much bigger majority in the referendum to join the common market).
Democracy thrives on debate and a constant need to defend decisions and policies with reasoned arguments. Telling people they must support a policy purely because other people do isn't democracy. Democracy is convincing people a policy is worth supporting. That leave advocates feel no need to convince doubters of the benefits of their policy is what worries me the most.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinybgoat wrote: I think the biggest worry to me is finding out how irrational & ill informed a lot of leave voters & brexiteers are, not that I don't understand some of their motives & reasons, but hearing the more rabid & vacuous talk on phone-ins from both leading brexiteers & supporters tends to leave me despairing for democracy.
Some of the #FBPE brigade are little better, it has to be said.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tim Shipman @ShippersUnbound

The @thesundaytimes has seen a huge cache of emails from Arron Banks and Andy Wigmore of http://Leave.EU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to Russian officials. We also have interviews with both. This story is going to develop
6:15 PM - Jun 9, 2018
HOME - Leave.EU

Leave.EU played a decisive role in the British public’s historic vote to leave the EU on June 23rd. The campaign is remaining active throughout the UK.
leave.eu
Tim Shipman @ShippersUnbound

EXCLUSIVE: Arron Banks' contacts with Russian ambassador and other officials far more extensive than previously revealed. MORE LATER https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -6lf5xdp6h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
6:14 PM - Jun 9, 2018
Exclusive: Emails reveal Russian links of millionaire Brexit backer Arron Banks

Arron Banks, the millionaire businessman who helped fund Brexit, had three meetings with the Russian ambassador to Britain — raising explosive questions about attempts by Moscow to influence the...
thetimes.co.uk https://t.co/knsEh1OFi6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Completely shocked at the idea Arron Banks might be a bit dodgy, I can tell you.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

‘Extraordinary secrecy’ in Whitehall is crippling Brexit plans - Even basic guidance is being classified as restricted and locked away, finds thinktank
Meanwhile, the number of documents being restricted is going “well beyond” those containing sensitive details of the government’s EU negotiations. Even basic planning and guidance documents are kept locked away, largely inaccessible to civil service teams that need to see them. A security clearance backlog has also meant that some officials have waited up to nine months to gain access to the material they need.
Meanwhile it appears that the principled reasonable wing of the parliamentary conservative party have found their reason not to rebel against Theresa May in Tuesday's votes - they've decided it might damage Theresa May.
I still believe in a town called Hope
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

NUTCASE NEWS !

Trump’s latest trade war target is Canada’s protected dairy industry. But Canadians have no intention of abandoning it – because it works

In 2016, Canada imported dairy products from the US worth five times more than the small amount it exported there. “I would call that a pretty good deal,” she told the House of Commons.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/comme ... -trade-war" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rest of us would also be better off with the old-fashioned pre-Thatcher-Ideology Milk Marketing Boards --

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ry-farmers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rates of dairy farmer suicides in the US and Europe cannot continue indefinitely ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I wonder in what way Isabel Oakeshott could be classed as a journalist?

Carole Cadwalladr

Verified account

@carolecadwalla
9h
9 hours ago

More
Carole Cadwalladr Retweeted Tim Shipman
Proud to have helped @thesundaytimes get this out today. We forced @IsabelOakshott to finally break cover with material she's sat on for MONTHS. If you want to help our public service journalism & keep digging (in an ethical way) please support @guardian!
https://support.theguardian.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

frog222 wrote:NUTCASE NEWS !

Trump’s latest trade war target is Canada’s protected dairy industry. But Canadians have no intention of abandoning it – because it works

In 2016, Canada imported dairy products from the US worth five times more than the small amount it exported there. “I would call that a pretty good deal,” she told the House of Commons.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/comme ... -trade-war" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rest of us would also be better off with the old-fashioned pre-Thatcher-Ideology Milk Marketing Boards --

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ry-farmers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rates of dairy farmer suicides in the US and Europe cannot continue indefinitely ?
Of course you see a headline about Trump called 'Nutcase News' and you realise it could be about absolutely everything. I'm waiting for him to produce a pair of handcuffs during his meeting with Kim and arrest him then and there.

It's a good article about dairy - it's worth remembering that when the leave folk tell us that we will get cheaper food, that means wiping out UK agriculture. I'm aware of the fundamentally innapropriate undertones of this, but I have enjoyed pointing out to people BTL in the local press that we will be able to toast our freedom with Argentinian beef, because they will have triumphed over us and wiped British beef out as a mainstream consumer product.
I still believe in a town called Hope
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ps-scandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"ie a good cause to a bath bomb and watch your profits rocket"
Was it right or wrong to flog coloured bicarb off the back off a craftily designed controversy whose shelf life was due, however, to be shorter than that of a preservative-free bath bomb? While commentators go back and forth, the answer surely lies in Lush’s annual financial report, due next spring.
Interesting piece, I don't see how it's wrong, if it's raising awareness of issues, though maybe cynical & shallow. Is it just product differentiation or will it lead to competition between businesses trying to 'out-ethical' each other, with consumers bombarded with awareness campaigns?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... p-is-toxic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"We want to thrill to the beautiful game, but Fifa’s World Cup is toxic"
(Nick Cohen)
Fifa’s stance on racism is as notorious as it is contemptible. It wound up its anti-racism taskforce, saying its mission was accomplished before it had even begun. When Russian fans directed monkey chants at Paul Pogba, it fined the Russian Football Association £22,000, a sum so pathetic no aspiring host nation would dare offer it to a Fifa delegate.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Useful round up of the G7 summit, including that photo.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/albert ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best line:
The diplomat described Trump as a “whirlpool” and “out of control.”
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:‘Extraordinary secrecy’ in Whitehall is crippling Brexit plans - Even basic guidance is being classified as restricted and locked away, finds thinktank
Meanwhile, the number of documents being restricted is going “well beyond” those containing sensitive details of the government’s EU negotiations. Even basic planning and guidance documents are kept locked away, largely inaccessible to civil service teams that need to see them. A security clearance backlog has also meant that some officials have waited up to nine months to gain access to the material they need.
Meanwhile it appears that the principled reasonable wing of the parliamentary conservative party have found their reason not to rebel against Theresa May in Tuesday's votes - they've decided it might damage Theresa May.
But it will all be Corbyn's fault according to the #FBPE lot, as ever. And they will continue to laud the likes of Soubry for talking a good game.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

:o
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Useful round up of the G7 summit, including that photo.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/albert ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best line:
The diplomat described Trump as a “whirlpool” and “out of control.”
I've been outside the news for a day
what an image
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Isn't it just.

And on the way home Trump had a paddy over Justin Trudeau's post G7 speech and now Guy Verhofstadt is actually trolling Trump on twitter. God knows what went on, but I get the impression that Trump tried to throw his weight around and the others weren't having it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Isn't it just.

And on the way home Trump had a paddy over Justin Trudeau's post G7 speech and now Guy Verhofstadt is actually trolling Trump on twitter. God knows what went on, but I get the impression that Trump tried to throw his weight around and the others weren't having it.
It's sad but the likeliest explanation of Trump's behaviour is he's jealous of Trudeau
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

This will all play well with the Donald's "base", however. Hard to believe that wasn't a major consideration all along.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

This will all play well with the Donald's "base", however. Hard to believe that wasn't a major consideration all along.
I'm not sure the G7 leaders are very interested in how it plays to Trump's base. The point I'm making is how the idea that Trump is in Putin's pocket appears to becoming accepted as fact. And that other leaders now appear to be treating him in line with this assumption. This is a real problem for the US, I think.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

as-their-cause-crumbles-brexiters-turn-to-fantasy-and-bitter-recriminations

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... iminations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now,

1. WHO voted for that bloody referendum ?

2. Have any of them admitted their mistake ?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

frog222 wrote:as-their-cause-crumbles-brexiters-turn-to-fantasy-and-bitter-recriminations

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... iminations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now,

I don't think so. Lots of MPs have regretted the result but I'm not aware that any have admitted that actively voting for a referendum on such a huge issue with a simple majority and no clear plan in the event of a leave win was a mistake and apologised for their poor judgement in supporting it.

I think this is why some MPs are so attached to the idea of fulfilling the "will of the people" because not doing so is tantamount to admitting they made a mistake in asking the people such a complex question without the safeguard of a super majority in the first place.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Maintaining UK constitutional integrity
Please don't bomb the village in order to save it
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thought I was imagining Clangers in Hull but no,there is video evidence of my sprint start but not posting.

https://letsgowiththechildren.co.uk/eve ... lery-hull/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Thought I was imagining Clangers in Hull but no,there is video evidence of my sprint start but not posting.

https://letsgowiththechildren.co.uk/eve ... lery-hull/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clangers-bagpuss-and-co-exhibition-River-and-Rowing-Museum-915px.resized.resized.jpg
Clangers-bagpuss-and-co-exhibition-River-and-Rowing-Museum-915px.resized.resized.jpg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 10663 times
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I wonder in what way Isabel Oakeshott could be classed as a journalist?

Carole Cadwalladr

Verified account

@carolecadwalla
9h
9 hours ago

More
Carole Cadwalladr Retweeted Tim Shipman
Proud to have helped @thesundaytimes get this out today. We forced @IsabelOakshott to finally break cover with material she's sat on for MONTHS. If you want to help our public service journalism & keep digging (in an ethical way) please support @guardian!
https://support.theguardian.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2018/06 ... d.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Isabel Oakeshott Spoiler BUSTED"
Max Clifford is dead. His spirit, though, lives on as desperate hacks use his dubious methods to engage in brazen damage limitation, to enact spoilers, nullify or even damage the product of true investigative journalism. Some are adept at channelling the Clifford method; others less so. And one who is not at all good at doing a Clifford is mercenary hack Isabel Oakeshott, as today’s papers demonstrate.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Completely shocked at the idea Arron Banks might be a bit dodgy, I can tell you.
Yes - he came across as such a top geezer.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A former Conservative parliamentary candidate who quit the party over its treatment of black and minority ethnic communities has said that, as the son of two refugees, he was “unable to look at himself in the mirror”.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 90121.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Who would ever have thought Louise Mensch would look principled and moderate?

[Aimed at Fraser Nelson]

Louise Mensch
‏@LouiseMensch
26m26 minutes ago

Replying to @LouiseMensch @LouiseBagshawe and 5 others
You called out @carolecadwalla for misrepresenting you, are you not obliged now to admit the extensive on the record 2016 contacts between Farage, Banks and the Trump campaign?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:
frog222 wrote:as-their-cause-crumbles-brexiters-turn-to-fantasy-and-bitter-recriminations

Now,

I don't think so. Lots of MPs have regretted the result but I'm not aware that any have admitted that actively voting for a referendum on such a huge issue with a simple majority and no clear plan in the event of a leave win was a mistake and apologised for their poor judgement in supporting it.

I think this is why some MPs are so attached to the idea of fulfilling the "will of the people" because not doing so is tantamount to admitting they made a mistake in asking the people such a complex question without the safeguard of a super majority in the first place.
Exactly Willow-- "" tantamount to admitting they made a mistake in asking the people such a complex question without the safeguard of a super majority in the first place. ""

When MP's who most of them disagree with the result go on and on dishonestly pretending to 'respect' it as the Will of the People their standing with the electorate drifts lower and lower as they cobble together yet more unrealistic 'solutions' to the trap they have lurched into .

Does the UK politician exist who could loudly proclaim their Referendum Mistake and do an about turn ?

Nearly midnight here, NN :-)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -they-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Who is Arron Banks and what do the leaked emails show?"
Banks owns the insurance company GoSkippy and gave £9m to the Leave.EU and Grassroots Out Brexit campaigns, mostly in the form of loans and branded merchandise.
Just pondering, If he gave money as a loan, then is there some monitoring of how it's repaid the loan? ie at what point after the referendum did/will the recipient campaigns repay the loans & where does the sum of money then come from - in effect Banks isn't giving them money, he's just providing it (possibly through a loan,himself), the money is then coming from elsewhere, presumably with less restrictions.