Wednesday 20th June 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 20th June 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Nicky Morgan
[quote]I welcome acknowledgment from the Government that House of Commons standing orders mean that it is the Speaker who determines whether a motion is expressed in neutral terms - on this basis Parliament’s vote is meaningful - and I will support Govt Amendment in lieu[\quote]
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Ah - no Tory rebellion following a new concession.

Anyone know about it?
It looks like another non-binding promise to me. Easy to wriggle out of. Unless someone's got some clever amendments up their sleeve for the trade & customs bill, the Commons role in Brexit is now all but done if the govt wins this as far as I can see.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Nicky Morgan
I welcome acknowledgment from the Government that House of Commons standing orders mean that it is the Speaker who determines whether a motion is expressed in neutral terms - on this basis Parliament’s vote is meaningful - and I will support Govt Amendment in lieu[\quote]
John Bercow's days are now very much numbered.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Ah - no Tory rebellion following a new concession.

Anyone know about it?
It looks like another non-binding promise to me. Easy to wriggle out of. Unless someone's got some clever amendments up their sleeve for the trade & customs bill, the Commons role in Brexit is now all but done if the govt wins this as far as I can see.
Too easy to wriggle out of. I didn't think that Dominic Grieve would be that easily turned after the last episode. Oh, well . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

If Jacob Rees Mogg is happy, then something is very wrong.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:If Jacob Rees Mogg is happy, then something is very wrong.
:shock:
yep
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm not comfortable with current political goings on here
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Government wins by 16 votes.

Yes - 303

No - 319
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Grieve voted against his own amendment
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

According to Sparrow, four Labour MPs voted with government
no surprises who
six Tory MPs voted against government
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The six rebels were:

Heidi Allen
Ken Clarke
Philip Lee
Antoinette Sandbach
Anna Soubry
Sarah Wollaston
Too little, too late.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Leading Tory Brexiter John Redwood said he was
very satisfied” with the result. “I never rashly doubted we would win, as otherwise it would frustrate the will of the British people,

Asked why the Tory rebels in both houses pushed the issue so long he said:
You’ll have to ask them. But I do think the Lords made a big mistake. It is a cruel irony that many of those making the amendments are of the generation of politicians who gave away so many powers to Brussels. And now it seems their main aim is to stop us from getting back those powers.
Does Redwood believe what he's saying is true? I don't know which would frighten me more, his believing what he's said or his knowingly repeating inaccuracies
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I look forward to those making egregious mistakes regretting them all while spending the rest of their lives making reparations for their wrongs
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The EU Withdrawal bill will return to the House of Lords tonight

The Lords *will* consider the EU Withdrawal bill again tonight, but by convention they are unlikely to send it back to the Commons again.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 2cac880138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What convention is that, please?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:

The Lords *will* consider the EU Withdrawal bill again tonight, but by convention they are unlikely to send it back to the Commons again.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 2cac880138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Salisbury Convention.

Not 100% obvious that it applies, since May doesn't have a majority.

But I suppose the DUP did have a similar Brexit commitment in their manifesto, so it could be argued there is a mandate.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-44546780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Guy Verhofstadt warns MPs of 'two decade' Brexit ratification"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

There's one thing worse than leaving the EU without a deal and that's leaving the EU without a deal and without a withdrawal bill.

There seems little point the Lords sending the bill back to the Commons for further consideration and it would be irresponsible to refuse to pass the bill, so it will probably go through pretty swiftly now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Salisbury Convention.

Not 100% obvious that it applies, since May doesn't have a majority.

But I suppose the DUP did have a similar Brexit commitment in their manifesto, so it could be argued there is a mandate.
May doesn't lead a majority government. It wouldn't be outrageous in the least for the Lords to send it back
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Regardless of this particular vote, the Salisbury Convention is for majority governments and May doesn't lead one
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:Regardless of this particular vote, the Salisbury Convention is for majority governments and May doesn't lead one
I kind of agree, then kind of not.

I think the point of the Convention is that the Lords, constitutionally, should not obstruct a policy that has a clear mandate from a General Election. It would be an abuse of their powers and of the Commons' hard won supremacy.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Theresa May under fire as leaked emails revealed Whitehall officials described key Northern Rail routes as 'valueless'"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Crace

/dominic-grieve-tory-rebel-meaningful-vote-brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ote-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Are the 'usual channels' and arrangements generally in place in the Commons at the moment? Labour - and everybody outside of government in the commons - should definitely withdraw from them immediatley if they are. The government whips were a fucking disgrace today. I'm not surprised at the 'rebels' being bought off, but the whips' behaviour was off the scale. Make them scrabble for every vote and make the commons work to rule.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:Are the 'usual channels' and arrangements generally in place in the Commons at the moment? Labour - and everybody outside of government in the commons - should definitely withdraw from them immediatley if they are. The government whips were a fucking disgrace today. I'm not surprised at the 'rebels' being bought off, but the whips' behaviour was off the scale. Make them scrabble for every vote and make the commons work to rule.
Hear hear!

Shameful behaviour and all done, in the end, out of sheer, gratuitous nastiness.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://news.sky.com/story/near-farcica ... e-11411335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Near farcical scenes as Theresa May avoids Brexit reverse"
The hilarious West End play This House was a glorious send-up of how sick and dying MPs were brought to the Commons to vote when the Labour government had no majority in the late 1970s.
And for the first time in many years, the same near farcical scenes returned to the Commons as Theresa May's government faced a Tory rebellion on the EU (Withdrawal) Bill on a so-called "meaningful vote" on Brexit.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA