Thursday July 5th 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Thursday July 5th 2018

Post by HindleA »

:
Attachments
LEAFLET.jpg
LEAFLET.jpg (85.27 KiB) Viewed 8235 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday July 5th 2018

Post by HindleA »

My grandad was still paying medical bills in the '50's some ten years after his wife died.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It's not what you say but what you don't.Admission by omission,you can't possibly argue "it's working"

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ice-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/real ... in-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:It's not what you say but what you don't.Admission by omission,you can't possibly argue "it's working"

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ice-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McVile indeed !

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

16° this morning !!!!!

JaguarLandRover adding their voice to the brexitery, some first thoughts on that --

Owen Patterson versus Justin wotsit on Toady , “” wishing away all tariffs anywhere, we’ve got to make the UK world-competitive, we’ll do freetrade around the world, we’ll get cheaper carparts from other forriners thus obliging the EU to become more efficient (!) , not feasible to not respect the wishes of 85% of voters in the last election ( ??? ! ) etc !

This Canadian example is one among many … a Mexican couple working for far lower wages, but still able to afford their own home demonstrates that ‘other things are rarely equal’ ** —

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]6HyIEYZOPMs[/youtube]

With increased robotisation labour costs matter less and less, and there have even been factory repatriations , from China, but economies of huge scale and tight profit margins still make labour costs a factor.

There was and is an argument for tariffs to protect infant industries/economies, well that worked for many in the 19th and 20th Centuries. Now I wonder if we need some tariffs to protect societies in relative decline ? The old 'freetrade' dogma on (very fast) free movement of capital is another which is being revisited in some places.

The brexiteers appear to welcome the future massacre of most UK farming , much of which is already losing money, but of course it's a price worth paying for ... er ... what exactly ?

A race to the bottom!

** Econ 101 “ceteris paribus”– other things being equal …therefore XYZ .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I came across an interesting plan the other day for a large double-fronted house being built for a physician & surgeon back in 1895.

There was a large waiting room off the hall next to the consulting room behind which there was a dispensary.

But behind that there was a much smaller room at he back which had been designated "Club patients." This had a completely separate entrance to it from the outside and which was at the side of the house. Making sure they didn't mix with the decent folk who could afford a better service no doubt...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -and-peers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... uthorities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.z2k.org/news/z2k-publishes- ... y-benefits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Z2K has published a new report showing how the Government's harsh policies are preventing disabled and unwell people from getting the disability payments they are entitled to.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/the-healt ... interface/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The health and social care interface

NAO
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

I came across an interesting plan the other day for a large double-fronted house being built for a physician & surgeon back in 1895.

There was a large waiting room off the hall next to the consulting room behind which there was a dispensary.

But behind that there was a much smaller room at he back which had been designated "Club patients." This had a completely separate entrance to it from the outside and which was at the side of the house. Making sure they didn't mix with the decent folk who could afford a better service no doubt...
I worked for a biggish law form once that divided it's business fairly equally between the usual county town private client stuff and a big legal aid crime, family, housing and civil liberties practice. They oh-so-cleverly had separate waiting rooms that were officially 'smoking or non-smoking'.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.coe.int/en/web/disability/n ... _count%3D1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Safeguarding human rights in the era of artificial intelligence
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://labourlist.org/2018/07/gordon-b ... s-bravery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://swiftsurvey.org/Rspb/Inventory/SwiftFlying" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome to the RSPB Swift Survey!
The purpose of this survey is to record locations of swift nest sites around the UK.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Banksy offers to help support Bristol’s libraries
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Urgent Question on UC (Frank Field) after transport questions
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Ind ... 81b8ef4702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news ... july-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... dgame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brexit: The Endgame
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tl;dr
A true statesman of a Prime Minister would say I did the best I could, but for the sake of peace in Ireland and the unity of the UK Brexit cannot happen, and so the best thing for the UK to do is to remain in the EU.
Which should have been obvious to Cameron in 2015.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Conservative MP Owen Paterson thinks Jaguar Land Rover are wrong to worry about a hard Brexit.

Paterson, a Brexit supporter, told Radio 4’s Today programme that JLR would be in a “wonderful position” once Britain has left the single market and the customs union.
Why does the G even bother with this garbage?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FFS like watching a four year old.Apologies to four year olds.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Playing the martyr
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:FFS like watching a four year old.Apologies to four year olds.
McVile I presume. Can't watch or listen to her myself.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:
Conservative MP Owen Paterson thinks Jaguar Land Rover are wrong to worry about a hard Brexit.

Paterson, a Brexit supporter, told Radio 4’s Today programme that JLR would be in a “wonderful position” once Britain has left the single market and the customs union.
Why does the G even bother with this garbage?
More to the point, why does the Today programme?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Nigel Farage
‏Verified account
@Nigel_Farage
Follow
Follow @Nigel_Farage

More
I’ll have no choice but to return to frontline politics if Brexit is delayed beyond March 2019.
This is the best reply...
TechnicallyRon
‏Verified account
@TechnicallyRon
15h
15 hours ago

More
Replying to @Nigel_Farage
... You've never been a member of frontline politics. You tried 7 times and failed 7 times. If that was a driving test they'd tell you just to use the bus for everyone else's safety.
:D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

As also pointed out, such an outcome wouldn't really dismay him as it means longer on the MEP gravy train.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:As also pointed out, such an outcome wouldn't really dismay him as it means longer on the MEP gravy train.
Quite - and many more chances of not being present at Fisheries committee hearings...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Given the 70th Birthday of the NHS today it seems appropriate to post this from last year.

Jeremy Hunt claims a Tory was the true founder of the NHS – that’s rubbish

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ts-rubbish
Indeed, when Nye Bevan’s comprehensive national health service bill was voted into law in 1946, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Harold Macmillan, Rab Butler and other notable Tories voted against it – including Mr Willink himself, who had by then proposed a hostile amendment to the bill.
Facts eh?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Gareth Southgate, manager of the England men's football team, said that if England fail to beat Sweden on Saturday then they will be out of the World Cup.

Owen Paterson, the Conservative Brexiter and former environment secretary, was asked about this and claimed that Southgate had got it all wrong. If England were to be knocked out of the World Cup then the team would be “better off”, he claimed, and more likely to succeed in the competition.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Commons only passes Bills; but it is the men and women outside who can make them living realities. Now that we are reaching the conclusion, let me hope that the echoes of controversy will die down, and that what will reach our ears will not be the declamations of partisans, but the whispers and the piteous appeals of sick people all over the country, of the weak and distressed, who are reaching out their hands to this House of Commons to give them succour and assistance in their difficulties. I believe that, eventually, it will be that small voice that will be heard, and that will be most influential, and not the raucous declamations of controversialism "

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hans ... ice-bill-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"discourages voluntary effort"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Risking some controversy, these are the four areas of dispute that are omitted from Labour's new proposed definitions of work on anti-semitism:-
- Accusing Jewish people of being more loyal to Israel than their home country;
- Claiming that Israel’s existence as a state is a racist endeavour;
- Requiring higher standards of behaviour from Israel than other nations; and
- Comparing contemporary Israeli policies to those of the Nazis.
One at a time...
Accusing Jewish people of being more loyal to Israel than their home country;
I think this is quite a common racist trope - it was certainly levelled at Kennedy - and at Al Smith as a candidate before him - that he couldn't be trusted as President because he'd take his orders from the Vatican, and you see it in Tebbit's 'Cricket Test'. I don't really get why there might be a problem with this.
Claiming that Israel’s existence as a state is a racist endeavour;
The problem with this is that if you sub the R word with 'deeply problematic' or 'fundamentally controversial' it's simply a statement of fact. I don't think that EDIT - it's difficult to argue that racism - discrimination based on racial identities, however they might be constructed - plays a significant part in Israel's policies towards her neighbours - that there is a complete absence of respect for Arabic land rights, for example. It feels like that the test has been phrased to challenge people to fail it.
Requiring higher standards of behaviour from Israel than other nations;
Far too open to interpretation. I think I would expect all nations not to order their soldiers not to fire live ammunition into crowds of civilian protesters in any circumstances. It's a fundamental of the rule of law since before the enlightenment that you need to respect land rights unless - as in the US - you just dehumanise a particular (racial) group and afford them no or different legal rights to own and protect property.
Comparing contemporary Israeli policies to those of the Nazis.
Like the first one, i don't really have a problem with this - it's almost a cliche to point out that it is too often the product of lazy thinking. If nothing else, political opponents of the state of Israel shouldn't do it because the moment you do nobody you are arguing with will even pretend to listen to a word you say.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:
tl;dr
A true statesman of a Prime Minister would say I did the best I could, but for the sake of peace in Ireland and the unity of the UK Brexit cannot happen, and so the best thing for the UK to do is to remain in the EU.
Which could equally apply to Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn ...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

"Skreepal" or "Skripple"?

Vote now . . .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:
gilsey wrote:
tl;dr
Which could equally apply to Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn ...
Point being, they didn't go ahead with the referendum - he did.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I don't remember us making a fuss about previous NHS 'birthdays'?
Possibly a depressing sign that we don't take it so much for granted.

There are some lovely stories in the G blog.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/liv ... rvice-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Brexit: The Endgame[/quote]
tl;dr
Which should have been obvious to Cameron in 2015.[/quote]

Which could equally apply to Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn ...[/quote]

Point being, they didn't go ahead with the referendum - he did.[/quote]

AK -- I believe Wren-Lewis was refering to a post-referendum about-face ?

Which is still open to May and eventually Corbyn .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:I don't remember us making a fuss about previous NHS 'birthdays'?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/liv ... rvice-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I remember some stuff for the 60th and 40th anniversaries (though I struggle to recall much around its 50th, strangely enough)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

And, since we’re talking about a possible UK/US trade deal, this, from the Telegraph’s Europe editor Peter Foster, is interesting.

Peter Foster

@pmdfoster
Replying to @duncanrobinson

Indeed. I dined recently with head of one of Britain's largest business groups.

QUOTE: "Not a single one of my members wants a trade deal with the US"

ME: Why?

CHIEF: Because outside high end products they could never compete - on scale, on costs, on social costs.
4:11 PM - Jul 5, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:I don't remember us making a fuss about previous NHS 'birthdays'?

I remember some stuff for the 60th and 40th anniversaries (though I struggle to recall much around its 50th, strangely enough)
Incidentally, I'd believed for the forty years overseas that I could just quote my NHS number from memory, and then if necessary produce the card . Simple enough, it was "ABCD" 9 !

My parents mustr have been quick off the mark (I was already 8 months old ) .
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

All going swimmingly in the run up to Chequers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -and-goods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

u-k-brexit-secretary-opposes-may-s-plan-on-customs-and-goods
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tim Stanley was having a whinge…

Tim Stanley
‏Verified account

@timothy_stanley
2h
2 hours ago

More
What is utterly depressing is that May reportedly showed Britain’s Brexit plan to Angela Merkel *before* showing it to the British cabinet. Sums up why we voted to leave. Real power lies with Germany - and Germany is the real power in the EU. Benn woz right.
Now, why would May consult Merkel rather than the far superior brains of Fox, Davis and Boris? Let me think...nope, can't fathom that one...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

She already knows what they "believe" in - FREE UNICORNS FOR ALL!!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Crace -- davis-and-mcVile -up-the-ante-in-game-of-sack-me-if-you-dare

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... f-you-dare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:All going swimmingly in the run up to Chequers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -and-goods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

u-k-brexit-secretary-opposes-may-s-plan-on-customs-and-goods
"" A draft of May’s proposal was leaked on Thursday, including a line saying it wouldn’t “allow the U.K. to accommodate a likely ask from the U.S. in a future trade deal.” That upset Brexiteers in the cabinet who have made an American trade deal one of their key aims.""

What about AMERICA FIRST do those brexiteers not understand ?

Current events surely can't be helping their case .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Duncan Weldon
‏Verified account

@DuncanWeldon
6m
6 minutes ago

More
So much wasted talent in British politics. Half the Cabinet should clearly have been managing an auto or aerospace company.

:lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I saw a bloke named Paul Everitt from the ADS* being interviewed on TV about "Brexit". He was calm and informative. But where was he in the run-up?

* ADS is the Premier Trade Organisation for companies in the UK Aerospace, Defence, Security and Space Sectors. Membership is made up of over 1000 UK registered businesses.

ADS activities are focused around the following key areas:

Supporting business development opportunities
Supporting UK manufacturing and our industries’ supply chains
Influencing the policy debates of most importance to our industries
Encouraging investments in technology and innovation
Enhancing the profile of our industries
Increasing Member value through a range of services (from the ADS website)