Friday 13th July 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 13th July 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 13th July 2018

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Not hard to work out really.
Kevin Maguire
‏Verified account

@Kevin_Maguire
Follow
Follow @Kevin_Maguire

More
Word is Murdoch’s fixed a Trump interview with The Sun after arranging one for The Times(Michael Gove did it on a Cabinet break). US Pres planning PR counter attack to London’s huge inflatable orange nappied baby
6:54 AM - 12 Jul 2018
And Boris would make a good PM?

2 years ago today I said this on FB...
What the bloody hell - Boris as Foreign Secretary??
Fuck me - that is insane.

Yep. Although at the time I did wonder whether it was deliberate because May knew that he'd self-destruct at some point.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Completely surreal !

How wrong many / most of us were on the ABdPJ self-destruction ...

"I'm a very stable genius ." (Again, yesterday.)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Off for croissants and nyt ...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... m-patients" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G liveblog:
Nigel Farage, the first British politician to have met Trump following his unlikely victory in 2016, was questioned on whether he had “wound up” Trump about Brexit on BBC’s This Week last night.
So Putin wants the EU weakened and we have Donald Trump being investigated for collusion with Russia and Nigel Farage is said to be a "person of interest" in that case. Now Farage and Trump are working in cahoots to attack May's Brexit plan which aims to keep the UK in a close relationship with the EU and the BBC are inviting Farage on politics shows and thus giving him a platform & a legitimacy he clearly doesn't deserve. The fines for misuse of public funds from the EU and the findings of the Electoral Commission related to leave.eu alone should be enough to have left Farage a disgraced public figure. How can the BBC ignore all these things? Why are they still giving Farage a platform?
Last edited by Willow904 on Fri 13 Jul, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

nhs-operation-waiting-lists-reach-10-year-high-at-43m-patients

Matt Hancock, who replaced Jeremy Hunt this week, has received £32,000 since 2010 from the chair of the IEA’s board, Neil Record who has also donated to the government.

The IEA has been a regular critic of the NHS, calling it one of the most “overrated, inefficient systems in the world” and championing an insurance based model instead.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 43826.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

health/nhs-think-tank-matt-hancock-institute-economic-affairs-iea-health-secretary-
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:From the G liveblog:
Nigel Farage, the first British politician to have met Trump following his unlikely victory in 2016, was questioned on whether he had “wound up” Trump about Brexit on BBC’s This Week last night.
So Putin wants the EU weakened and we have Donald Trump being investigated for collusion with Russia and Nigel Farage is said to be a "person of interest" in that case. Now Farage and Trump are working in cahoots to attack May's Brexit plan which aims to keep the UK in a close relationship with the EU and the BBC are inviting Farage on politics shows and this giving him a platform & a legitimacy he clearly doesn't deserve. The funds for misuse of public funds from the EU and the findings of the Electoral Commission related to leave.eu alone should be enough to have left Farage a disgraced public figure. How can the BBC ignore all these things? Why are they still giving Farage a platform?
''Mostly'' excellent piece by Nick Cohen in the NYRB --

The false prospectus of the brexiteers --

""' The head of Vote Leave, one of the two umbrella groups leading the 2016 campaign, explained in June 2015 that constructing workable proposals for Britain’s future was “an almost insuperable task… There is much to be gained by swerving the whole issue.” Instead of honestly confronting Britain’s place in the world, the campaign offered brazen lies: Brexit would deliver £350 million ($462 million) a week to our health service; Turkey was about to join the EU and flood Britain with millions of Muslim migrants.

Neither Humphrys nor any one of the scores of celebrity presenters the BBC hires has asked hard questions about the “false prospectus”—to use a favorite BBC phrase after the Iraq War—the Leave campaigns presented to the British people.

“The referendum is over,” declared another Today presenter, Nick Robinson. “The day we broadcasters have to ‘broadly balance’ the views of the two sides is at an end. Why? Because there are no longer two sides.” Real journalists should be able to see that everything is wrong with his statement. If Brexit were over, Britain would not be in a rolling crisis with no end in sight. As pertinently, journalists should never assume a subject has become off-limits, because that is what the enemies of free expression demand. ""

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/07/1 ... on-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly , the bbc has been following the vast majority of politicians who purport to 'respect' the result of the referendum , which we must not forget, most of them also voted for .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Just playing ... :-)

LONDON (The Borowitz Report)—Queen Elizabeth II has cancelled a scheduled Friday meeting with Donald J. Trump after complaining of a “flare-up of bone spurs,” Buckingham Palace has confirmed.

The announcement took many royal watchers by surprise, because in her sixty-six-year reign the Queen had never before complained of bone spurs.

But, according to the Queen’s spokesman, Peter Rhys-Willington, Elizabeth had intentionally kept her chronic bone-spur condition a closely guarded secret until now. “Her Majesty is a very brave woman, and has not wanted to unnecessarily worry her subjects,” Rhys-Willington said. “And so, for decades, she has suffered in silence.”

The Queen referred to her bone spurs obliquely in an official statement issued on Thursday. “We are sorry to have to cancel the engagement, but we feared that meeting Donald Trump would be most painful,” the Queen’s statement read.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote: The Queen referred to her bone spurs obliquely in an official statement issued on Thursday. “We are sorry to have to cancel the engagement, but we feared that meeting Donald Trump would be most painful,” the Queen’s statement read.
:lol:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Was Alan Duncan really claiming this visit to be a complete success already?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Trump visit going swimmingly part XXXVI
Sam Gyimah MP

Verified account

@SamGyimah
Follow
Follow @SamGyimah

More
Where are your manners, Mr President?
9:21 AM - 13 Jul 2018
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Image

Was Alan Duncan really claiming this visit to be a complete success already?
More than that, fantastic !

""I don’t think that’s the case. And I think the mood last night at the Blenheim dinner was just so fantastically positive, and it did indeed focus a lot on trade. We actually have more UK investment going into the US than all of Germany and France put together, a considerable multiple of the amount put in by the Chinese, and once we have our agreement with the EU in place, I’m confident that there will be the latitude and the ability to do a significant trade deal with the United States.""

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... 453414aa36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder what that UK investment consists of ? I'd prefer it to be invested at home, and witness some slowing down in the velocity of capital movements ...
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Short-memory time, some more light relief —

“” But Trump is also guided by the person who says what he wants to hear. Let’s just look at the example of his new best mate, Boris Johnson. In the run-up to the 2016 presidential election, the former Mayor said Trump’s remarks about the state of London showed “stupefying ignorance” that proved he was “clearly out of his mind” and was “frankly unfit to hold the office of president of the United States”.

“I would invite him to come and see the whole of London and take him around the city – except I wouldn’t want to expose any Londoners to any unnecessary risk of meeting Donald Trump,” he added. “”

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/fo ... -may-stand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

If anything, Trump supporters in this country are even weirder and more impervious to reason than their US counterparts.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://nursingnotes.co.uk/nursing-degr ... k.facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nursing degree applications fall by a further 12%
The fall in mature student numbers has been even more extreme, with a 16 percent drop and an unprecedented total decline of 40 percent since June 2016.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/d ... lack-hole/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWP silence over ‘thousands of ESA claims lost in IT black hole’
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.housing.org.uk/latest-updat ... PM.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Seen a lot of comments about this - letters going (probably to parents) about SATs results.

Worth remembering that SATs were devised originally as accountability measures for schools. They have no impact on where children are going to secondary schools since that's already decided.

And, contra one primary "Quirky teacher", they don't actually tell you anything about what the child out to be working on to get up to "the required standard"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see Digby Jones tweet from a year ago has been hauled out and rightly jeered out...

Lord Digby Jones
‏@Digbylj
Follow
Follow @Digbylj

More
So that's trade deals with both the US & Oz in the bag. Remoaners must be hating this.
8:24 AM - 11 Jul 2017
:roll:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Digby Jones is thicker than mince.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

From Ed Miliband -
Will be on march later. Trump’s values are not our values, whatever party we support. His racism, misogyny, attacks on democratic values seek to legitimise an authoritarian politics that is profoundly dangerous and threatening to our societies. twitter.com/owenjones84…
2 hours ago · Twitter
I saw him (EM) being interviewed, earlier, on Sky TV news. Kay Burley still referring to him as David Miliband.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Kay "entire eastern seaboard" Burley is, if anything, even thicker than Digby Jones.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Kay "entire eastern seaboard" Burley is, if anything, even thicker than Digby Jones.
Is her voice naturally that annoyingly squeaky or do you think she cultivates it?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So we are now informed by nice Mr Donald that the "special relationship" has never been stronger :lol: :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Donald Trump now saying that all the nice things he said about Theresa May were omitted from the "Sun" interview. He then witters on about "Fake News".
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear...

Richard Vaughan
‏@RichardVaughan1
33s
34 seconds ago

More
Trump calls “fake news” on the suns explosive interview
Maybe someone told him that it hadn't been that smart a move when a guest in a foreign country...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh his "handlers" have had a word with him all right.......
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

David Allen Green

@davidallengreen
Following Following @davidallengreen
More
Why the Brexit White Paper is not a disaster and may be a Good Thing.

A thread.

12:55 PM - 13 Jul 2018

David Allen Green picking up the point that many of the things in the Brexit white paper that both Tories and Labour are objecting to are aims to be negotiated for 2020, not points that are to be settled in the withdrawal agreement by October.

If the only things settled irrevocably by the withdrawal agreement are the divorce bill, protecting EU and British citizen rights and no hard border in Ireland, isn't it possible it would meet labour's "6 tests"?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Germany and Angela Merkel have now become his target.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Highest level of "special".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:From Ed Miliband -
Will be on march later. Trump’s values are not our values, whatever party we support. His racism, misogyny, attacks on democratic values seek to legitimise an authoritarian politics that is profoundly dangerous and threatening to our societies. twitter.com/owenjones84…
2 hours ago · Twitter
---
(cJA edit)
Miliband is good person, trustworthy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Donald Trump now saying that all the nice things he said about Theresa May were omitted from the "Sun" interview. He then witters on about "Fake News".
Please ration your exposure to Trump
Protect yourselves, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Highest level of "special".
a particularly toxic carcinogen
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
David Allen Green

@davidallengreen
More

A thread.

David Allen Green picking up the point that many of the things in the Brexit white paper that both Tories and Labour are objecting to are aims to be negotiated for 2020, not points that are to be settled in the withdrawal agreement by October.

If the only things settled irrevocably by the withdrawal agreement are the divorce bill, protecting EU and British citizen rights and no hard border in Ireland, isn't it possible it would meet labour's "6 tests"?
Labour would vote Aye on the October agreement satisfying those tests, you mean?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Trump now rewriting the Nato meeting.

In 2014 it was agreed that the Nato nations would work towards 2% of GDP contributions over the following 10 years. Trump has just announced at the press conference a 4 year old resolution that is ongoing as we speak as something that has just happened within the last 24 hrs because of him.

The worry is that it's hard to see where the calculated liar ends and the narcissistic fantasist begins.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Appeal court rules that flat-rate payments for sleep-in shifts are fair
Decision overturns ruling that carers should be paid national minimum wage for shifts

A court ruled last year that care workers should be paid the national minimum wage (NMW) for every hour of a sleep-in shift – rather than a flat sum – in effect doubling the cost of a shift to £60. It said providers should be liable for six years of back-pay to carers.

On Friday the appeal court reversed the back-pay decision and ruled that flat-rate payments were fair, meaning sleep-in shift carers could receive the full rate only for those hours during which they were awake and assisting the client. Employers welcomed the ruling, saying that the back-pay liability – collectively estimated at about £400m – would have bankrupted many providers.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-are-fair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bad news, this
Businesses unwilling to pay workers properly are failures
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
David Allen Green

@davidallengreen
More

A thread.

Labour would vote Aye on the October agreement satisfying those tests, you mean?
I mean they probably could as far as the "6 tests" go. Except Labour currently seems to be building a narrative of voting against the withdrawal agreement which will raise expectations among their followers and make it difficult for them to do so. I'm just wondering why, as without a proper "meaningful vote" amendment there is a small but very real risk that voting against could do the country a lot more harm than voting for if it gives a Tory government the opportunity to take us out with no deal and blame Labour for it. Common sense suggests May wouldn't do anything so drastic, but common sense suggested having safeguards for the referendum vote, it suggested having a proper plan before triggering article 50 etc etc. As such I'm a little uncomfortable trusting the fate of the nation to Tory common sense! I fear this isn't going to end well.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:---
I mean they probably could as far as the "6 tests" go. Except Labour currently seems to be building a narrative of voting against the withdrawal agreement which will raise expectations among their followers and make it difficult for them to do so. I'm just wondering why, as without a proper "meaningful vote" amendment there is a small but very real risk that voting against could do the country a lot more harm than voting for if it gives a Tory government the opportunity to take us out with no deal and blame Labour for it. Common sense suggests May wouldn't do anything so drastic, but common sense suggested having safeguards for the referendum vote, it suggested having a proper plan before triggering article 50 etc etc. As such I'm a little uncomfortable trusting the fate of the nation to Tory common sense! I fear this isn't going to end well.
(cJA edit)
Yes, I agree.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Trump now rewriting the Nato meeting.

In 2014 it was agreed that the Nato nations would work towards 2% of GDP contributions over the following 10 years. Trump has just announced at the press conference a 4 year old resolution that is ongoing as we speak as something that has just happened within the last 24 hrs because of him.

The worry is that it's hard to see where the calculated liar ends and the narcissistic fantasist begins.
He's not going to make sense
Crace's article about Trump published last night explains Trump perfectly

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... in-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not so simple.Waking nights is fundamentally different to sleeping in.We weren't a bad employer,a comfy bed,TV,takeaway etc once interrupted and a 'phone call for ambulance because of fall in ten years.In reverse,I did it for years,24 hour shifts were the norm.Question is how do you differentiate.I would like to see the reaction if I took my sleeping bag to work on the basis of only being disturbed when necessary.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

At the Chequers press conference, Donald Trump railed against the EU's trade restrictions on the US. He made particular reference to agriculure\food.Robert Peston questioned how Theresa May's "Brexit" plans would allow the UK to apply looser restrictions than the EU does.

Either my attention wandered, or the question was ignored. Can anyone here help me out, please?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Not so simple.Waking nights is fundamentally different to sleeping in.We weren't a bad employer,a comfy bed,TV,takeaway etc once interrupted and a 'phone call for ambulance because of fall in ten years.In reverse,I did it for years,24 hour shifts were the norm.Question is how do you differentiate.I would like to see the reaction if I took my sleeping bag to work on the basis of only being disturbed when necessary.
(cJA emphasis)
Brilliant, sincerely
Thank you for shifting ideas around showing me something I didn't see at first

It's wrong, this judgement
poorly paid people providing their labour on call not compensated for that work
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:At the Chequers press conference, Donald Trump railed against the EU's trade restrictions on the US. He made particular reference to agriculure\food.Robert Peston questioned how Theresa May's "Brexit" plans would allow the UK to apply looser restrictions than the EU does.

Either my attention wandered, or the question was ignored. Can anyone here help me out, please?
Trump's lunatic responses allows others only a little less bizarre than Trump getting taken more seriously
we typically try making sense of things regardless of its having any sense at all
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Whether "sleeping in/over" should attract the minimum wage is clearly something that needs discussion, but the real immediate issue is that people were being advised it wasn't covered by the minimum wage by government bodies only for that to be contradicted by a court ruling and now people who paid (and accepted) below minimum wage on the understanding that was correct are being directed to pay the difference with immediate effect and that just doesn't seem right, as if they'd been told the correct information at the time they could well have made very different decisions. And a court ruling is now going to have an impact on such arrangements going forward that really needs to be addressed politically and not just left to legal judgement. Another example of a government failing to get to grips with....well....just about anything, really. Like everything else it's been left to drift.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Justice Department
@TheJusticeDept
Today at 11:45AM ET: Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein will hold a press conference for a law enforcement announcement. Watch live at (link: http://www.justice.gov/live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) justice.gov/live
3:24 pm · 13 Jul 2018
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I think that's 4.45pm GMT.

I expect it'll be something really dull in the end, but Twitter is buzzing about a possible new indictment.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

Willow904 wrote:I think that's 4.45pm GMT.

I expect it'll be something really dull in the end, but Twitter is buzzing about a possible new indictment.

Oh my...

not dull at all !
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh dear...

Richard Vaughan
‏@RichardVaughan1
33s
34 seconds ago

More
Trump calls “fake news” on the suns explosive interview
Maybe someone told him that it hadn't been that smart a move when a guest in a foreign country...

Upset the Sun - so they've released the tape :

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6766531/t ... -deal-off/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
US indicts 12 Russians for hacking DNC emails during the 2016 election
Just as Trump's about to have another meeting with Putin. Nice and aekward!