Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th July 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th July 2018

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]BFqHyCoypfM[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Hey Donald I have another one for your stories of why immigration is bad...

Q: What do you call a man who, as a convicted drug offender, tries to enter the USA on a false passport, is caught and deported as an illegal migrant (and uses another strange passport to return home), this new offense to sit alongside a slate of them for violence?

A: Tommy Robinson, latter-day hero of free speech.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Why pay money to go to 'god I love the 80s' concerts when I can just sit in the house with the windows open and listen to it anyway. Imagination earlier, Marc Almond just finished (doing the 12" version of Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love go, very good) and now UB40 are on, playing the earlier 'better' stuff.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Good to hear,had thought you had fallen into the cauldron.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:Good to hear,had thought you had fallen into the cauldron.
It's possible I exaggerated a little.

I can also now claim that I always knew I was making it for le Quatorze Juillet.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

winners and losers are outcomes in sport
not lives
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:winners and losers are outcomes in sport
not lives
Although Mandelson's having a pretty good go this evening.
Britain’s former trade commissioner in Brussels, Lord Mandelson, is making common cause with hardline, anti-EU Tories, saying Theresa May’s latest Brexit blueprint would lead to “national humiliation” and leave the country in a worse position than if it turned its back on the entire European economic system

I get how bad May's proposals are, but I think a national humiliation in which we still got to have food and medicine would be better than the alternative.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ump-racism

Why identity politics benefits the right more than the left
Sheri Berman
I liked the article
In Corbyn's speech yesterday
'...We're united in our hope for a world of justice not division'
stand together or we're goners
Me too !

"" "" In the past, the Republican and Democratic parties attracted supporters with different racial, religious, ideological and regional identities, but gradually Republicans became the party of white, evangelical, conservative and rural voters, while the Democrats became associated with non-whites, non-evangelical, liberal and metropolitan voters.
As long, therefore, as politics is a fight between clearly bounded identity groups, appeals and threats to group identity will benefit Republicans more than Democrats, which is presumably why Steve Bannon infamously remarked that he couldn’t “get enough” of the left’s “race-identity politics”. “The longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em ... I want them to talk about race and identity … every day.” ""
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

that damn Bannon character
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:
not lives
Britain’s former trade commissioner in Brussels, Lord Mandelson, is making common cause with hardline, anti-EU Tories, saying Theresa May’s latest Brexit blueprint would lead to “national humiliation” and leave the country in a worse position than if it turned its back on the entire European economic system

I get how bad May's proposals are, but I think a national humiliation in which we still got to have food and medicine would be better than the alternative.
Yeah, Mandelson making an emotional appeal there
it's unnecessary
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

As a quick aside from more relevant things, Mrs Sonny and I were watching series 1 of Poldark- recorded 3 years ago and only now been watched. Demelza threw (?) a clumsy curtsey. As one we said, “Just like Theresa May.”

Not in a nice way, of course

[Edited for typo]
Last edited by notnowsonny on Sun 15 Jul, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

wulfgar trump baby.gif
wulfgar trump baby.gif (225.53 KiB) Viewed 16760 times
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HAIR the remake

Boris
Geert
Michael (Fabricant)
Donald
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sun 15 Jul, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Heffatrump flies off to Helsinki china shop --

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 47671.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder what he's going to give away this time ?

Morning !

""SteB1
1 hour ago
In the US Presidential Elections, there was a lot of discussion whether Donald Trump's apparent monumental stupidity and ignorance was a clever act to get himself elected, or if he really was the dangerous buffoon, and moron, he came across as. Unfortunately we now know the answer to this question, and unless Trump's "act" is continuing, and he only sacks and eventually falls out with all of his staff, and causes chaos as part of this act, he's every bit as stupid and ignorant as he appears, and some more.

There are 2 things masking the severity of the problem.

Firstly it's wrongly perceived that you have to be a genius to be very wealthy. When really it's more about luck, and Trump is not as he presents himself a self-made man but the inheritor of a vast real estate empire from his father. What's more the rocketing value of prime real estate means it doesn't require genuine business acumen, and you just need to be a ruthless and unprincipled wheeler dealer. Property dealing has always attracted unpleasant characters, who've made money more because of their crookedness, than business ability. That's before mentioning Trump's bankruptcies, and the fact that almost certainly Trump has refused to disclose his tax returns as he promised, because he's likely not as wealthy as claimed, and in massive debt.

Secondly, amongst the very wealthy and new ideological right (they are closely allied) there's the fashionable theory that you need to create chaos to create money making opportunities. The very wealth made vast sums of money out of the financial crash, where the poor are having to pay the debts racked up with it. So they want more of that. To them, the chaos Trump is wreaking everywhere is all part of some big clever plan, it's what they want. But Trump isn't creating chaos because of some clever plan, it's because he's as stupid, inept and ignorant as he appears to be. We now know that Trump's billionaire associates, have long thought of Trump as an incredibly stupid person.""
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Morning folks,
Theresa may quote from today’s Guardian (although originally from the Heil):

“I am yet to see a workable alternative future trading arrangement that would deliver on our commitments to Northern Ireland, preserve the constitutional integrity of the UK and deliver on the result of the referendum.”

So all she has to do is choose which to drop.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-amer ... 4zrmq.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The move by the retailer, which also owns Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor in the United States, comes at a time when many Canadians say they are boycotting US products because of President Donald Trump's decision to impose tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum as well as his repeated insults of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c4120.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can I suggest a boycott on our US imports of crap food and annoying words and phrases
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sun 15 Jul, 2018 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Population of US: 326 million across 50 states
Population of EU: 508 million across 28 countries
(Population of Europe: 741 million across 44 countries)

Am curious about how Americans would feel if they were banned from migrating around America.
https://www.census.gov/schools/resource ... s-map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://uk.businessinsider.com/state-dom ... ?r=US&IR=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(Have recently taken part in PorFavor's online editing course.)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Just out of interest:
domestic-state-map.jpg
domestic-state-map.jpg (148.82 KiB) Viewed 16725 times
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Kremlin sees US president as 'a moron to take advantage of', believes one expert
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 47671.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One doubts that s/he's alone.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

“Trump’s unpredictability and inability to concentrate is concerning many people here,” says Alexey Sushenikov, program director of the Valdai Club, a discussion forum associated with the Kremlin. “US-Russian problems are of a systemic nature, and there can be no takeoff without proper preparation and commitment. People doubt Trump can provide that.”
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-amer ... 4zrmq.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The move by the retailer, which also owns Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor in the United States, comes at a time when many Canadians say they are boycotting US products because of President Donald Trump's decision to impose tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum as well as his repeated insults of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c4120.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can I suggest a boycott on our US imports of crap food and annoying words and phrases
Looking at what people buy and eat (Ugh) , unfortunately we are very good at providing our own crap food .

Antitrumpism predates the recent trade nonsense :
"" Hudson's Bay told the company that markets the Ivanka Trump brand last autumn that it would be dropping its products, months before Canadian anger toward Donald Trump came to a boil because of his trade actions and his behaviour following the Group of 7 summit meeting hosted by Trudeau.

While Ivanka Trump has resigned from her management roles at the company that bears her name, financial disclosures show that she made more than $US5 million from it last year.""

Still nice to know it's hitting her pocket !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

TC2 --- it's not only American words and phrases :-)

John Reid , first time I heard it , on the HomeOffice -- " Not fit for purpose'', now everyone's using it !

What's wrong with "useless" (optionally preceded by suitable adjective ) ?

In any and every tragic or even mildly unfortunate situation, interviewees are always "devastated".
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I am particularly disturbed by:

"reach out"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://uk.businessinsider.com/oxford-ec ... ion-2018-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A troubling lesson from the 1930s suggests Trump's trade war will damage the world for decades
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I wonder what Heffatrump is going to give away this time , Nato exercises in the Baltic perhaps ?

From the little I’ve seen, the WH reactions to the latest Mueller indictments apparently had no comment at all on the fact that there were er ‘hostile acts’ , only that there were no Trump Team fingerprints on them !

At 4′.30″ a simpleton speaks —

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]CtgKLPNVMvY[/youtube]

Cogent four-star general compared to Mr Bone-spurs . Oh dear !
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Yes. It seems that no-one in power needs to be - or indeed can be - held accountable for anything they do.
(see Cameron and his ludicrous EU referendum, for example)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Patrick Smith
@psmith
#Marr: The whole country wants to know, what was President's advice to you on Brexit?

May: He told me to sue the EU.
9:59 am · 15 Jul 2018
I'm confused. If May is toadying up to Trump to get this much feted US/UK trade deal, why would she reveal a private comment that makes him look like a moron?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Because she's also a moron?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Morning folks,
Theresa may quote from today’s Guardian (although originally from the Heil):

“I am yet to see a workable alternative future trading arrangement that would deliver on our commitments to Northern Ireland, preserve the constitutional integrity of the UK and deliver on the result of the referendum.”

So all she has to do is choose which to drop.
The use of the word 'alternative' suggests she thinks her Chequers plan is the solution.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha :cry:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

citizenJA wrote:
adam wrote:
not lives

Yeah, Mandelson making an emotional appeal there
it's unnecessary
Mandelson should just keep quiet, tbh.

(evergreen post, I know)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Not politics - but there are still caring (and skilful) people in the US:
Chinook pilot lands rear section of helicopter on Oregon mountain during spectacular rescue
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 47986.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
Patrick Smith
@psmith
#Marr: The whole country wants to know, what was President's advice to you on Brexit?

May: He told me to sue the EU.
9:59 am · 15 Jul 2018
I'm confused. If May is toadying up to Trump to get this much feted US/UK trade deal, why would she reveal a private comment that makes him look like a moron?
"She doesn't know what she is doing" would seem the simplest explanation? And also backed up by previous evidence, of course :twisted:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Buses don't matter

https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/ ... -1-9250500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Disabled friends seriously impacted in terms of voluntary work,visiting family,going out etc.
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 15 Jul, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Britain Elects

@britainelects
1h1 hour ago
More
Once the terms of the Brexit deal are known, there...

SHOULD be a public vote between accepting the deal or leaving without one: 25%

SHOULD be a public vote between accepting the deal or remaining in the EU: 25%

SHOULD NOT be a public vote: 33%

via @OpiniumResearch
This pretty much demonstrates the problem that arises with a 3-way choice.
A second/third referendum between deal/no deal/remain wouldn't achieve an overall majority for any option, would it, we'd need STV.
Arriving at a situation where no deal is off the table in the public mind seems just as unlikely as any other scenario you can think of.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Concessions etc only work if the transport is available.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The use or lose/chicken/egg.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
Britain Elects

@britainelects
1h1 hour ago
More
Once the terms of the Brexit deal are known, there...

SHOULD be a public vote between accepting the deal or leaving without one: 25%

SHOULD be a public vote between accepting the deal or remaining in the EU: 25%

SHOULD NOT be a public vote: 33%

via @OpiniumResearch
This pretty much demonstrates the problem that arises with a 3-way choice.
A second/third referendum between deal/no deal/remain wouldn't achieve an overall majority for any option, would it, we'd need STV.
Arriving at a situation where no deal is off the table in the public mind seems just as unlikely as any other scenario you can think of.
I blame David Cameron, personally.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Incidentally, what happened to that balloon of Sadiq Khan that was crowd-funded as a retort to the Trump one?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.express.co.uk/videos/546757 ... ver-London" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Sunday xcess)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

:-
Attachments
DiGg3cKXUAA8syr.jpeg
DiGg3cKXUAA8syr.jpeg (123.69 KiB) Viewed 16579 times
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I just had a moment of panic on Twitter. Coming back to an unusually high number of notifications I discovered the reason was because John Rentoul had replied to one of my tweets and he was agreeing with me. Fortunately, on investigation, I realised the comment he agreed with was simply a technical statement of fact and I haven't embarrassed myself in front of Rentoul followers (I hope!).

I was basically saying there won't be a vote on "no deal". We would just leave automatically without one. There can only be a vote/decision on accepting a deal or on postponing/revoking article 50.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
“Trump’s unpredictability and inability to concentrate is concerning many people here,” says Alexey Sushenikov, program director of the Valdai Club, a discussion forum associated with the Kremlin. “US-Russian problems are of a systemic nature, and there can be no takeoff without proper preparation and commitment. People doubt Trump can provide that.”
What's that old saying? You reap what you sow....They got him into office.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well more accurately, they did their bit.

At the end of the day though, HRC lost it more than Trump or his proxies winning it.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Another resignation...
Sam Freedman
‏@Samfr
Following
Following @Samfr

More
Imagining being an unknown PPS trying to time your resgination to have some kind of impact and then choosing the middle of the Wimbledon men's final and 30 mins before the World Cup final.
3:58 PM - 15 Jul 2018

:D

Someone called Robert Courts apparently...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Another resignation...
Sam Freedman
‏@Samfr
Following
Following @Samfr

More
Imagining being an unknown PPS trying to time your resgination to have some kind of impact and then choosing the middle of the Wimbledon men's final and 30 mins before the World Cup final.
3:58 PM - 15 Jul 2018

:D

Someone called Robert Courts apparently...

Well, we've certainly lost a shrewd political operator there, then. Great loss.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just an aside - what was Donald Trump suggesting that Theresa May sue the EU for?

Edited to add -

PTO
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 15 Jul, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.