Tuesday 31st July 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Tuesday 31st July 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

Labour vows to make provision of youth services compulsory
Party also proposes national body to oversee services for young people in England in effort to curb rising crime

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... compulsory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 31st July 2018

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Damien Hinds is right now making a speech about disadvantaged children and what could be done about the growing numbers arriving in school with speech and language difficulties (which we're seeing) - I've seen this twice so far...

Mike Cameron
‏@mikercameron
8m
8 minutes ago

More
If only there were some way we could be SURE that disadvantaged children could get the same START in life as middle class kids. You know, some way that hadn’t been cut by ministers like Damian Hinds.

Spot on.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Not to mention the fact that the 15 free hours a week at nursery school for all children seems to have morphed into 30 free hours a week childcare for working parents.

A subtle difference, but under Labour an out of work single mum could send her child to nursery school a couple of times a week for free to mix with other children & get an early start on educational based activities whereas I don't think that's on offer any more under the Tories.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

At our last GB meeting I raised something which puzzled me as to why we didn't seem to be at full capacity in the nursery - as soon as he said "30 hours" I realised - and this leads to fewer kids in total being able to access the nursery with a number of them being there on a full-time basis.

We're limited by space as to how many we can take in so can't expand but it seems a bit perverse that some who may benefit from 5 mornings or afternoons are losing out because others are being there all day.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Faisal Islam

Verified account

@faisalislam
1h
1 hour ago

More
NEW: Sky News obtains internal Dover District Council Brexit Impact report warning that “temporary” 13 mile “Operation Brock” Brexit lorry park across the southbound M20 Motorway carriageway could last “many years” as permanent solution not ready #brexitforensics
:roll:

Still I'm sure the arch-Brexiteers who have been plotting our exit from the EU will have had a plan for this formulated years ago right?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:Not to mention the fact that the 15 free hours a week at nursery school for all children seems to have morphed into 30 free hours a week childcare for working parents.

A subtle difference, but under Labour an out of work single mum could send her child to nursery school a couple of times a week for free to mix with other children & get an early start on educational based activities whereas I don't think that's on offer any more under the Tories.
I'm sure I remember Margaret Thatcher wanting a massive expansion of nursery schools, which did not happen ?

The situation here is very simple , up to a 25hour week , and free for all !

Nursery Schools in France (maternelle)

""Although nursery school is optional in France attendance levels are high with around 30% of the children aged two and nearly 100% by the age of four attending l’Ecole Maternelle. School is divided into:

Petite section: 3-4 years old
Moyenne section: 4-5 years old
Grande section: 5-6 years old

Children under three are not normally accepted at nursery school and each application is considered on a case by case basis. A child who is not toilet trained will not be accepted.

Nursery schools are widespread, even in rural areas, and are usually attached to the local Primary School. ""

https://www.frenchentree.com/living-in- ... aternelle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grandson 4 has already had an experimental morning at c two and a half, and will start properly in september when he's almost exactly three . The parents have a very good childminder who takes no more than four at a time and is trained and seriously inspected by the local (state)creche, who they can use to fill gaps . Cost is c€1.50 ph, but that adds up when you only have a nurse's and/or carpenter's salary !

Grandson5 is five weeks old, my DIL will have a total of six months off work, then my son will take the same, receiving somewhat less than half-pay.

They'll be a bit stretched, but seem far better supported than the equivalents in the UK ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Faisal Islam

Verified account

@faisalislam
1h
1 hour ago

More
NEW: Sky News obtains internal Dover District Council Brexit Impact report warning that “temporary” 13 mile “Operation Brock” Brexit lorry park across the southbound M20 Motorway carriageway could last “many years” as permanent solution not ready #brexitforensics
:roll:

Still I'm sure the arch-Brexiteers who have been plotting our exit from the EU will have had a plan for this formulated years ago right?

I've just been watching the report on the news. The proposed scheme sounds chaotic.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PF 10.23 I thought the idea was to let everything in, no tariffs/no inspections :-)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 wrote:PF 10.23 I thought the idea was to let everything in, no tariffs/no inspections :-)

That was last Tuesday. Or was it last Wednesday?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:Morning

Labour vows to make provision of youth services compulsory
Party also proposes national body to oversee services for young people in England in effort to curb rising crime

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... compulsory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I opened the Indie O'Grady Comment on this story, and batshit-crazy it is !

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/la ... 69546.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only skimmed through it to get to the comments , such as -
"" Muy
I was a beneficiary of a community youth programme in 1984 which put money in my pocket and a roof over my head. I gained experience which led to quality employment and a good standard of living. Youth Services have been decimated under the tories and we feel the impact of the loss of the education and support to young people via informal and engaging work. To say that employment is the answer to knife crime is simplistic. There are complexities which require multi agency approaches and systemic approaches.""

We had similar under Lionel Jospin, and it worked for some youth I know too .

Far more important initially would be bringing police and CPSO and other support staff numbers back to they were before Teresa May ! Labour has systematically been missing a trick in speechifying solely on 'police' numbers , when the other people are recognised by the best police chiefs as also being essential as part of the mix which of course includes youth workers etc.

Labour as the party of Law an' Order shock !
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://constitution-unit.com/2018/07/3 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beating the boundaries? The stalled debate on how to draw up the UK’s parliamentary constituencies
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

This is a public service announcement.

All those here with Labour NEC ballot papers - even if you plan to vote the "left" slate generally, please do *not* include Pete Willsman.

It would be very nice if you could choose Ann Black instead.

That concludes this message :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I found this to be an interesting read (signposted to it over at Politics Live, Guardian):
EU's Brexit declaration could be just 'four or five pages' long

Senior EU official says document setting out ‘future framework’ of relationship with UK is unlikely to be as detailed as Britain hopes
Basically, they're so exasperated with the UK that they don't believe, as things stand, that we're worth the effort.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... pages-long
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:This is a public service announcement.

All those here with Labour NEC ballot papers - even if you plan to vote the "left" slate generally, please do *not* include Pete Willsman.

It would be very nice if you could choose Ann Black instead.

That concludes this message :)
Ann Black and Yasmine Dar are the only votes I cast with any confidence. All the others were pretty random based on a skim read of their bios. The story about Willsman possibly came too late for many who blindly followed the Momentum slate. Could lead to more members making up their own minds in future.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes some have said on social media they voted for Willsman before this came out, and now wish they could change their vote :oops:

But he was the bottom placed "left" candidate last time around, so re-election is far from assured.

Here's hoping.....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As if,shouldn't have be anywhere near it.I find reactions of Jones etc fake and disingenuous.It's what you get when your head stuck up your arse in binary simpleness.Yet another reason I refuse to play the factionalist bullshit game.IMHO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Just about my one consistent position since first getting involved in Labour politics in the early 1980s - SLATES ARE BAD.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The IEA trying to answer their critics. Not sure it works though.

IEA

Verified account

@iealondon
40m
40 minutes ago

More
Our research and ideas precede donations and we make no apology for seeking to raise funds from individuals, foundations and corporations to support our independent research efforts.

IEA responds to The Guardian's story
:clap:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I would say the" JC "thing is bad.It sets up a particular mindset where for/against is enough,removes critical thought for those not paying attention beyond that.Even if I support somebody a critical/questioning counter is essential.IMHO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:I would say the" JC "thing is bad.It sets up a particular mindset where for/against is enough,removes critical thought for those not paying attention beyond that.Even if I support somebody a critical/questioning counter is essential.IMHO.
Yes, agree with that. Labour's left also needs to be thinking of the succession, simply given Corbyn's age as well as anything else.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... sal-credit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government to pay thousands to disabled men who had benefits cut
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Government forced through gritted teeth-still appealing (or rather not very)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Talking about "mindsets".DWP appears to believe its own bullshit about lifestyle choice/people taking advantage/system was too easy (though extremely complicated at the same time)when of course people just want an adequate income subject to circumstance.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 31 Jul, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

So they end up paying more in attempts at denial
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:As if,shouldn't have be anywhere near it.I find reactions of Jones etc fake and disingenuous.It's what you get when your head stuck up your arse in binary simpleness.Yet another reason I refuse to play the factionalist bullshit game.IMHO.
Willsman and the councillor suspended for the Mossad reference are both pointing to something very real, but are so silly and in his case so intemperate that they were asking for trouble .

The LP is falling over itself not to admit publicly that those at the top of the Labour Friends of Israel and some other orgs are not bosom pals with the Israeli embassy. An unenviable situation !

I do think that the coordinated propaganda on a JC Labour government being an " existential threat " to british jews was a new low, comparable to the "Enemies of The People".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The JC thing "works" both ways.You make it about "him".
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote: I do think that the coordinated propaganda on a JC Labour government being an " existential threat " to british jews was a new low, comparable to the "Enemies of The People".
I actually think most people saw that as OTT and it didn't help Corbyn's opponents.

People like Shawcroft and Willsman denying that AS even exists within Labour (how could it not, given it is part of the wider society the party lives in?) does, however.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
frog222 wrote: I do think that the coordinated propaganda on a JC Labour government being an " existential threat " to british jews was a new low, comparable to the "Enemies of The People".
I actually think most people saw that as OTT and it didn't help Corbyn's opponents.

People like Shawcroft and Willsman denying that AS even exists within Labour (how could it not, given it is part of the wider society the party lives in?) does, however.
AK --- Completely agreed on both points .

I do think the "existential threat" was worth a counter-attack of good-humoured ridicule :-)

PS from last night, no idea how to shrink images which come out that way !
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

AK --- Completely agreed on both points .

I do think the "existential threat" was worth a counter-attack of good-humoured ridicule :-)

PS from last night, no idea how to shrink images which come out that way !
I've been downloading them, resizing them and then uploading them to the site. The issue is the original size of the image as it is linked.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:
frog222 wrote:PF 10.23 I thought the idea was to let everything in, no tariffs/no inspections :-)

That was last Tuesday. Or was it last Wednesday?
"" As Sky News revealed in March, the government has been obliging border operators to sign gagging clauses over its ultimate "throw the borders open" contingency plan not to enforce incoming checks.

Trade experts suggest this would be legally questionable under world trade rules.

In any event, the EU has repeatedly said it would immediately enforce its Union Customs Code at the customs and regulatory border created by a no deal Brexit on 30 March next year
""

https://news.sky.com/story/long-read-go ... y-11454929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Take a prescription drug? Here’s how Brexit could put you at risk
Ash Soni

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -118959723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very good article
The author is the president of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society
I didn't know that until I came to the end of the article
Comments closed early

I've no confidence in this government
I'm frightened
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anybody who hasn't yet checked Abi Wilkinson on Twitter today - please do.

The phrase "going out in a blaze of glory" comes to mind for some reason......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'just order meds on the internet and get them delivered'

this government aren't levelling with people
they're not only allowing an ignorant state of affairs
they're deliberately cultivating it
it's scary as hell
refitman
Site Admin